Josh Gordon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/mike-pettine-were-at-a-crossroads-with-josh-gordon/

Mike Pettine: We’re at a crossroads with Josh Gordon
Posted by Josh Alper on December 29, 2014

gordon1.jpg
Getty Images

Browns coach Mike Pettine held a year-end press conference on Monday and he spent a lot more time talking about off-field issues that on-field ones.

That was predictable after wide receiver Josh Gordon, cornerback Justin Gilbert and quarterback Johnny Manziel all landed in trouble with the team for missing meetings over the weekend. While none of the situations is one that the Browns want to be dealing with right now, Gordon’s case is particularly troubling given his previous off-field issues and the need for the team to know if they can count on him in the future.

“Clearly a disappointing end to the year for him. At some point you get tired of using the word potential,” Pettine said, via Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. “This offseason for Josh Gordon puts him squarely at a crossroads with us. We want him here, but want him accountable.”

Speaking more generally, Pettine said he didn’t know how to keep players from getting in trouble off the field because they are adults that need to take care of themselves and that the team was “going to take time” to discuss how to move forward with the players who got in trouble over the weekend.

The Browns were looking at all three players as part of the foundation of a consistent winner, which makes discussing whether they’ll be on the team at all a depressing way to end a season even for a team that’s had as many of them as the Browns.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Fresh start, better leadership, hell yes.

Not the farm though, and an incentive based deal.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Every fan board of every team in the league is having this discussion right now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Every fan board of every team in the league is having this discussion right now.
True, and it's because he may be the best WR in the game, and he hasn't even peaked yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
True, and it's because he may be the best WR in the game, and he hasn't even peaked yet.
Wouldn't bother me none. It's not my money or my reputation on the line.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wouldn't bother me none. It's not my money or my reputation on the line.
It's time to take chances, and Fisher would never let him be a distraction anyhow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give the guy some slack, he did play for the Browns. Lol

We are the Rams. ;)

Look, Britt worked out and his(Gordon's) talent is worth the risk for sure. I just worry that eventually, we're going to swing and miss on one of these chances.

I can totally understand why other people want him and won't be upset if we go after him. But players that don't give a shit really concern me.(and it bothers me)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's not.
That is your opinion, but his peers voted him at #16, overall, including every player in the NFL. I agree with his peers, and my eyeballs.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We don't know what will happen with Britt so there may be an opening in our WR corps. I don't know where things stand with the weed suspensions and what level Gordon is with that if he is close to a lifetime ban I would be moving on. However, I would trust Fisher to do the due diligence just like he has with all of these players and if he thinks Gordon won't screw things up I'm good with giving him a deal where he earns every penny.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Who was that talented slot receiver that we picked up from Detroit, that kept getting arrested and into trouble? Some people do not change, maybe he's one of them....

...or maybe he's not :sneaky:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is your opinion, but his peers voted him at #16, overall, including every player in the NFL. I agree with his peers, and my eyeballs.

Antonio Brown is a better WR. As is Calvin. As is Julio. As is Jordy.

His peers also put Tim Tebow on that list a few years ago. I don't put much stock in that list.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Why would the Rams go after him?

They aren't desperate for WR's and they don't need to take chances on a guy who is one failed test form being gone for a year at least and probably longer and despite having been suspended and disciplined was too fucking lazy to show up to avoid a suspension that cost him an ENTIRE year accrued service towards free agancy.

You can't fix stupid and Gordon is a dumb lazy motherfucking pothead.

Plus the Rams don't need a WR. We need G, C, LB QB. Not WR.

iced

Antonio Brown is a better WR. As is Calvin. As is Julio. As is Jordy.

His peers also put Tim Tebow on that list a few years ago. I don't put much stock in that list.

ultimately what matter is this - is he a huge upgrade compared to what we have?

Think that's an easy one...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Who was that talented slot receiver that we picked up from Detroit, that kept getting arrested and into trouble? Some people do not change, maybe he's one of them....

...or maybe he's not :sneaky:

Titus Young has a serious mental illness and can barely function, he needs major help. Gordon is just a troubled young kid not far out of college, it's a little different.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Titus Young has a serious mental illness and can barely function, he needs major help. Gordon is just a troubled young kid not far out of college, it's a little different.

How much of a difference, though?

It's odd to me that a guy like Winston receives the animosity he does on this board while so many are perfectly fine with Gordon...who has been booted off two college teams and is now likely being booted off the NFL team that drafted him. And none of the boots were for performance reasons.

Look, as I said, if the coaches feel they can handle him and turn him around...I'm fine with it. I don't doubt the kid's talent. I just don't want a guy to come in here and be a problem in the locker-room or be a bad example/influence on our other young guys.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
ultimately what matter is this - is he a huge upgrade compared to what we have?

Think that's an easy one...

Will it matter when the dumbass fails another test and is out of the NFL for a year at least? He wasn't an "upgrade" in CLE this year since he didn't really play right?

@TheDYVKX Gordon isn't a troubled kid, he is a dumb, lazy pot head who doesn't want to try and isn't yet willing to change. He needs to crash before he gets better like everyone else like him. I don't want that to happen when he is on the Rams roster. He isn't going to grow up anytime soon.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Will it matter when the dumbass fails another test and is out of the NFL for a year at least? He wasn't an "upgrade" in CLE this year since he didn't really play right?

@TheDYVKX Gordon isn't a troubled kid, he is a dumb, lazy pot head who doesn't want to try and isn't yet willing to change. He needs to crash before he gets better like everyone else like him. I don't want that to happen when he is on the Rams roster. He isn't going to grow up anytime soon.

Who knows? He could turn it around like Brandon Marshall, but it is definitely a HIGH risk, high reward type of situation. We could get some clause in his contract that allows us to drop him easily if he fucks up

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
How much of a difference, though?

It's odd to me that a guy like Winston receives the animosity he does on this board while so many are perfectly fine with Gordon...who has been booted off two college teams and is now likely being booted off the NFL team that drafted him. And none of the boots were for performance reasons.

Look, as I said, if the coaches feel they can handle him and turn him around...I'm fine with it. I don't doubt the kid's talent. I just don't want a guy to come in here and be a problem in the locker-room or be a bad example/influence on our other young guys.

I don't have that animosity towards Winston or Gordon, and if Fisher can handle them I say go for it. Both are those types of people.

The difference really is that you can fix and handle a crazy college kid, it's possible to get the through to them. But serious illnesses like Young..that's tough to live with, let alone handle enough to play football.

Gordon isn't a troubled kid, he is a dumb, lazy pot head who doesn't want to try and isn't yet willing to change. He needs to crash before he gets better like everyone else like him. I don't want that to happen when he is on the Rams roster. He isn't going to grow up anytime soon.

Sounds like a lot of college kids I know. Anyway, anybody can change. Just last year Titans fans were saying the same thing about Kenny Britt. The same things were said about Cris Carter. It's not impossible, he just needs someone to get through to him. In any case, I never even said go for Gordon, just wanted to mention that he should never be compared to Titus Young.