Josh Gordon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and despite having been suspended and disciplined was too freaking lazy to show up to avoid a suspension that cost him an ENTIRE year accrued service towards free agancy.

this is the part that gets me. i'd imagine every player is striving towards their big pay day. all he had to do was play by the rules for a paltry 6 weeks and he couldn't do it. he could've been a $12m per year wr if he just gave a shit for two seasons. he couldn't even make it through one season. not sure how much money he would receive now as a free agent, if he ever makes it there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have that animosity towards Winston or Gordon, and if Fisher can handle them I say go for it. Both are those types of people.

The difference really is that you can fix and handle a crazy college kid, it's possible to get the through to them. But serious illnesses like Young..that's tough to live with, let alone handle enough to play football.

Sure. It's possible. But look at how many coaches have been unable to.

Still, as I said, it's a risk that I could understand them taking. The reward is definitely capable of offsetting the risk.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't have that animosity towards Winston or Gordon, and if Fisher can handle them I say go for it. Both are those types of people.

The difference really is that you can fix and handle a crazy college kid, it's possible to get the through to them. But serious illnesses like Young..that's tough to live with, let alone handle enough to play football.

Sounds like a lot of college kids I know. Anyway, anybody can change. Just last year Titans fans were saying the same thing about Kenny Britt. The same things were said about Cris Carter. It's not impossible, he just needs someone to get through to him. In any case, I never even said go for Gordon, just wanted to mention that he should never be compared to Titus Young.

So you know a lot of college kids that are making over a million dollars a year, and have been told by their employer that they are in danger of getting fired, and failed multiple drug tests at a couple of other colleges and then kept not showing up to work.........and didn't get kicked out of college?

Cuz thats what this is amounting to.

Britt didn't fail multiple drug tests, so the comparison isn't the same.

And Josh isn't a "college kid" anymore.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ultimately what matter is this - is he a huge upgrade compared to what we have?

Think that's an easy one...
I thought so too, and, as he quoted me, "he may be", not that, "he unequivocally is". Still stand by my point.

I don't think we'd be stupid about it, but I'll give him full credit on his ability and performance on the field.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It seems to me, despite our troubles, the one thing we have going for us is a strong locker room. Why risk that?

Besides; every dollar we have needs to be directed at

a) our oline

and

b) our own pending FA (think 2015 Britt, Kendricks, and beyond... Brockers, Zuerlein, Quick, Tru, Jenkins, Hayes, all free 2016...etc).

iced

Will it matter when the dumbass fails another test and is out of the NFL for a year at least? He wasn't an "upgrade" in CLE this year since he didn't really play right?

Didn't seem to have an issue with the previous coaching staff...lot of change over plus Manziel in the locker room. Norv Turner also isn't running the offense either

I thought so too, and, as he quoted me, "he may be", not that, "he unequivocally is". Still stand by my point.

I don't think we'd be stupid about it, but I'll give him full credit on his ability and performance on the field.

I don't think its a "may be"

You don't accidentally go over 1,500 yards with 4 different qb's on a terrible team as the only weapon..And we just had our first receiver since '08 break 700 yards?

do people really think we have better talent at receiver right now? twice as many yards with twice as many qb's..

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Didn't seem to have an issue with the previous coaching staff...lot of change over plus Manziel in the locker room. Norv Turner also isn't running the offense either

Yeah he served a suspension last year too, not just this year, from failed tests. He's been a pot head forever, including getting himself kicked out of two colleges and now suspended twice in the NFL.

He's a dumbass and is going to be out of the league pretty soon IMO.

I don't think its a "may be"

You don't accidentally go over 1,500 yards with 4 different qb's on a terrible team as the only weapon..And we just had our first receiver since '08 break 700 yards?

do people really think we have better talent at receiver right now? twice as many yards with twice as many qb's..

No doubt he has the talent, he's one of the best WR's in the league, but the question is how long will he be IN the league. Every year he's played since college other than his rookie year he's gotten suspended or dumped because he fails drug tests. And for all we know he may have (likely did) fail his first test as a rookie which led to his suspension his second year for another failed test.

The guy is a steaming hot mess, I'd stay away.

iced

Yeah he served a suspension last year too, not just this year, from failed tests. He's been a pot head forever, including getting himself kicked out of two colleges and now suspended twice in the NFL.

He's a dumbass and is going to be out of the league pretty soon IMO.

I don't think there's any leadership in that locker room, and pairing him with Manziel was not a very bright idea.. players late to practice saturday after a friday night party at johnny's house? color me shocked

don't forget - gordon is only 23 years old.. not defending the guy, but just sayin he literally has some more growing up to do..and Fisher is one of those coaches that can "help mold minds" - jenkins, ogletree, johnson, givens, etc. how many had red flags coming out predraft?

hell we took a chance of titus young - and that was a way bigger risk...

No doubt he has the talent, he's one of the best WR's in the league, but the question is how long will he be IN the league. Every year he's played since college other than his rookie year he's gotten suspended or dumped because he fails drug tests. And for all we know he may have (likely did) fail his first test as a rookie which led to his suspension his second year for another failed test.

The guy is a steaming hot mess, I'd stay away.

If we didn't have a coach who had a track record of getting through to these guys then I'd most likely be in agreement with you.. but with this locker room and this coaching staff, I'm not worried about characters like a Josh Gordon. And I think it'd be stupid to not address the position while we still lack a true playmaker/#1 type of guy

Should be interesting how new the CBA affects players this off season with a higher threshold for popping on weed tests.

Edit: It's also looking more and more like we won't have to trade for him, as if cleveland might just cut him...wonder if/how many opinions that would change?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think there's any leadership in that locker room, and pairing him with Manziel was not a very bright idea.. players late to practice saturday after a friday night party at johnny's house? color me shocked

don't forget - gordon is only 23 years old.. not defending the guy, but just sayin he literally has some more growing up to do..and Fisher is one of those coaches that can "help mold minds" - jenkins, ogletree, johnson, givens, etc. how many had red flags coming out predraft?

hell we took a chance of titus young - and that was a way bigger risk...

If we didn't have a coach who had a track record of getting through to these guys then I'd most likely be in agreement with you.. but with this locker room and this coaching staff, I'm not worried about characters like a Josh Gordon. And I think it'd be stupid to not address the position while we still lack a true playmaker/#1 type of guy

Should be interesting how new the CBA affects players this off season with a higher threshold for popping on weed tests.

Edit: It's also looking more and more like we won't have to trade for him, as if cleveland might just cut him...wonder if/how many opinions that would change?

Iced I know you are on board with getting the guy but CLE needs weapons badly and they are ready to kick him to the curb, that has "buyer beware" written all over it. If they cut him I would wonder if they were alerted to another failed test too, I'd just have to wonder.

The big difference between the guys you mention and Gordon is that they stopped the knuckleheaded shit in college where Gordon has ramped up his since being drafted. Yeah they had red flags but Gordon got kicked out of two programs. I don't think he is going to learn until he gets the indefinite suspension that keeps him out for at least 16 games, I really think it's gonna take that for him to wake up. Nothing else has worked so I think it'll take the death penalty so to speak to get through to him.

EDIT

I agree on the higher threshold......yet I wonder how many guys push the limits figuring they will come in lower but don't.

iced

Iced I know you are on board with getting the guy but CLE needs weapons badly and they are ready to kick him to the curb, that has "buyer beware" written all over it. If they cut him I would wonder if they were alerted to another failed test too, I'd just have to wonder.

The big difference between the guys you mention and Gordon is that they stopped the knuckleheaded crap in college where Gordon has ramped up his since being drafted. Yeah they had red flags but Gordon got kicked out of two programs. I don't think he is going to learn until he gets the indefinite suspension that keeps him out for at least 16 games, I really think it's gonna take that for him to wake up. Nothing else has worked so I think it'll take the death penalty so to speak to get through to him.

EDIT

I agree on the higher threshold......yet I wonder how many guys push the limits figuring they will come in lower but don't.

except in gordon's last case of being guilty from 2nd hand smoke was actually plausible because of the low thresh hold - so he could very well have been like the other guys and "Stopped the knuckle head" crap.

I think if Gordon stays in cleveland he's doomed, especially with that locker room and staff

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
except in gordon's last case of being guilty from 2nd hand smoke was actually plausible because of the low thresh hold - so he could very well have been like the other guys and "Stopped the knuckle head" crap.

I think if Gordon stays in cleveland he's doomed, especially with that locker room and staff

Yeah I'm not certain what's up there in my hometown but I know fans are scratching their heads at Manziel/Gordon/HC and the owner doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either. Tough to be a Browns fan right now for sure.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Put me in the "no thanks" camp.

Re-sign Britt, get back a healthy Quick, throw in Stedman and Austin (and maybe even Givens, he's cheap and fast) and I'm fairly happy with where our WR corps is. Wasn't sure I'd be saying that at the beginning of the season, but they played decent considering the QB situation. Get them a real QB and this could be a strong WR corps.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
bump:

Jan 20th
Suspended WR Josh Gordon has applied for reinstatement.
Gordon was suspended for at least one year last February 3. Unlike many players banned for an entire year before him, Gordon stayed out of trouble during his time off. We've noticed the soon-to-be 25-year-old on Twitter during that time, and he's sounded committed to getting back to stardom. One year away from the sport is a concern, but Gordon led the NFL in yards (1,646) his last full season and will now work with coach Hue Jackson, a maximizer of talent. The sky is the limit for Gordon talent wise.

Jan 21st
Browns executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown said Josh Gordon (suspended) "could be back" with the team if he is reinstated.
The "could be back" is interesting. With little offensive talent on the roster, Cleveland should be welcoming Gordon back with open arms once he is reinstated. Gordon posted an 87/1646/9 line in his last full season in the league. Travis Benjamin had a good season, but the gap between him and Gordon is massive and Benjamin is slated for unrestricted free agency.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8282/josh-gordon
--------------------------------

Draft a WR, bring back Austin and Britt...but I want this guy in Horns in 2016. I'm sure there are conflicting opinions on this but my opinion is that Gordon is worth taking a chance on under Fisher. It will be interesting how the Browns under a new coaching staff handled Gordon in UFA with all the past suspensions etc.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
No thanks, won't he be one mistake from sitting for a year again?? Make the right cuts and make Alshon Jeffery a nice offer. Draft another guy in the 2-4th round area.