Jon Gruden compares Manziel to Brett Favre

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Gruden: Manziel 'has a lot of magic to him,' compares to Favre
By Mike Huguenin/College Football 24/7 writer

Jon Gruden compared Johnny Manziel to Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young in February, and this week, Gruden compared Manziel to future Hall of Famer Brett Favre.

Gruden met with and worked out nine quarterbacks this year for his "Gruden's QB Camp" series on ESPN and told USA Today that Manziel stood out.

"I'd love to have him" as a coach," Gruden said.

"It takes courage to pull the ball down and reverse field and do some of the crazy things that Favre and Manziel do," said Gruden, who was a Green Bay Packers assistant in 1992-94 and worked with Favre. "There's going to be consequences when sometimes it doesn't work out. But it takes a tremendous amount of guts and courage to go make a play when there's nothing there instead of throwing the ball away."

Gruden also said "Johnny has a lot of magic to him. There's not a more exciting college football player I've seen in the last few years." Gruden lauded Manziel's fortitude: "He's got more guts than most guys have."

Manziel left Texas A&M after just two seasons of college football, but Gruden spun that as a potential positive.

"If you get him with a quarterback coach or anybody that aspires to be a quarterback coach and spend the time teaching this kid NFL defenses and your system, I can't imagine Johnny not being successful," Gruden said.

In February, Gruden said the concern over the "Johnny Football" persona was somewhat overblown, and he did tell USA Today that it was an issue.

"Nobody is perfect, but you certainly don't want your quarterback flying around during the week. You don't want to read about your quarterback in the newspaper every day of the week," Gruden said. "I think he's learned a lesson, but he's got to prove that."

Manziel is in play to be the No. 1 pick of the draft, and Gruden said it should be a "big concern" for the Houston Texans if they play the "What-if? Game": What if they bypass Manziel and he turns into a star? But Houston also is considering South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and UCF quarterback Blake Bortles, and the Texans likely are playing the "What-if? Game" with both of those guys, too, especially with Clowney.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter@MikeHuguenin.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah yes, the Majic Man. Manziel, like Favre, gets chased out of the pocket and makes plays. Some QB's can do that better than others. I guess Gruden sees that comparison. The thing is that Favre rarely got injured in the process while we don't know yet if Manziel can hold up the same in the NFL.

PhxRam

Maybe he will also get the label as a "comeback kid" after he tries rallying the team from the deficit that he helped create. A LA Jake Plummer.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Hell no. Manziel's arm alone blows this comparison out of the water. Favre had an absolute cannon.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda see the Brett Favre comparison. They both seem to make something outta nothing, with a gunslinger mentality

PhxRam

I kinda see the Brett Favre comparison. They both seem to make something outta nothing, with a gunslinger mentality

Never understood the "gun slinger" phrase.

Are you automatically given the title of a "gun slinger" if you throw a ton of ints?

Give me a Steve Young over a Brett Farve any day of the week.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Are you automatically given the title of a "gun slinger" if you throw a ton of ints?

To me a gunslinger is a guy who plays a high risk/high reward style of football. And passes the ball extremely aggressively, not afraid to throw into tight coverage.
Many times, a gunslinger is a guy with a very strong arm and good mobility, allowing him to get outside of the pocket, extend plays, and allow his receivers to get open.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I am probably totally wrong but with his size and scrambling & running ability he reminds me of Fran Tarkenton (I am really showing my age!)!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Hell no. Manziel's arm alone blows this comparison out of the water. Favre had an absolute cannon.
Replace Favre's cannon with with a avg. NFL arm and he would have been a never was. To me that's the risk with Manzel, the closing speed of DB's is so much great in the NFL with out a absolute cannon the gunslinger style is hard to pull off.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I love Gruden but he seems to go crazy about all the QB's around draft time. I know he's got a show to hype up but come on....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I am probably totally wrong but with his size and scrambling & running ability he reminds me of Fran Tarkenton (I am really showing my age!)!

That's exactly what I think when watching Johnny.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

IMO Young may have been the best to ever play the game. This isn't popular but I think he was better than Montana.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
IMO Young may have been the best to ever play the game. This isn't popular but I think he was better than Montana.

I think he's damn good at NFL analysis on TV as well.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I compare myself to Brett Favre
Me 5ft11" (shrunk 1 1/2 ")
Favre 6ft2"
Me 230lbs
Favre: 222lbs
Me : never played a down in the NFL
Favre: 20 yr NFL veteran
Me: never sent a selfie of my junk to a secretary
Favre: yup

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Warren Moon: Johnny Manziel has to adjust his game in the NFL
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 19, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptfhytawnzdmngzhywvjnthiowe0nzdlzdc2mze1ywi0-e1397953122691.jpeg
AP

Warren Moon is a fan of Johnny Manziel’s skill set.

However, Moon does have a few reservations about the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner.

In an interview with Alex Marvez and Zig Fracassi on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Moon said the 6-foot, 207-pound Manziel must avoid seeking contact as much as he did on the college level. Moreover, Manziel also must prove he can regularly operate from the pocket, according to the Hall of Fame quarterback.

“Well, he’s one of the most exciting players to play college football, no question about it,” Moon said of Manziel. “He’s a risk taker, and he gets away with a lot of those things.

“I just think in the NFL, some of those things, he’s going to have to take out of his game. He just won’t be able to get away with some of those things that he did in college football, especially taking on people, being as physical as he likes to play the game. I don’t think you can do that in the NFL or you won’t be available for your football team.

“So if he changes a lot of those things out of his game, those are the things that made him special. Now all of a sudden he becomes a pocket passer. Can he do that on a consistent basis? That’s something I’m really not comfortable with right now. I’d have to see him do a little bit more of that.

“But no question about it, he’s an exciting football player that brings some very exciting athleticism to the position.”

Moon praised Manziel’s approach to the predraft process, noting that the former Texas A&M star has focused upon his craft.

Nevertheless, Moon still isn’t sure if Manziel’s collegiate production will translate to the NFL.

“He’s doing all the things right to move himself up in the draft, but still, what makes Johnny Manziel ‘Johnny’ is those special, magical plays that he makes, and I just don’t know if there’s going to be as many of those when you’re playing against the talent that he’s playing against in the NFL,” Moon said.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Re: Gruden's comments about Manziel, I can't help but think of a young T.J. Rubley.

Re: Montana/Young
Montana>Young. If we're talking overall, healthy and in their prime, I go with Montana. If for no other reason, Young was forever trying to outdo Montana instead of just being who he was. Young was a stat-padder. Montana was the trailblazer of the WCO. Broken down, bad back, surgically repaired elbow, Chief-led Montana outplayed and beat Young. Montana had swagger. Young had a complex.