Jon Gruden compares Manziel to Brett Favre

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Hall of Fame QB, Warren Moon, stopped by SiriusXM NFL Radio today with Alex Marvez & Zig Fracassi, and talked about what QBs he likes best going into the NFL Draft in May. He also talked about the style of play from Heisman trophy winner Johnny Manziel and how his type of game will translate in the pro game. He also talks about Bortles and Bridgewater.

Listen to Moon Talk Johnny Football and QB's

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gives me the chills still... What. A. PASS!

That was awesome.

I think the Farve hate built up toward the end with his retirement dance... But he was one of the league greats. I miss him, Marino, Elway, Fouts, Montana, Aikman, Young, Moon...

Soon we'll be saying goodbye to Manning and Brady.

Enjoy them while they're around.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Re: Gruden's comments about Manziel, I can't help but think of a young T.J. Rubley.

Re: Montana/Young
Montana>Young. If we're talking overall, healthy and in their prime, I go with Montana. If for no other reason, Young was forever trying to outdo Montana instead of just being who he was. Young was a stat-padder. Montana was the trailblazer of the WCO. Broken down, bad back, surgically repaired elbow, Chief-led Montana outplayed and beat Young. Montana had swagger. Young had a complex.

I couldn't disagree with your assessment of Montana/Young more. It's wildly inaccurate.

Young did more with less, and that's not an opinion it's a documented fact. But we will disagree on this so that's that LOL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That was awesome.

I think the Farve hate built up toward the end with his retirement dance... But he was one of the league greats. I miss him, Marino, Elway, Fouts, Montana, Aikman, Young, Moon...

Favre's Sears commercials were a hoot weren't they.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I couldn't disagree with your assessment of Montana/Young more. It's wildly inaccurate.

Young did more with less, and that's not an opinion it's a documented fact. But we will disagree on this so that's that LOL.
Please be specific. How were Young's 49ers teams less talented than Montana's for example? I'd like to see these documents.

Cardncub

Rookie
Maybe he will also get the label as a "comeback kid" after he tries rallying the team from the deficit that he helped create. A LA Jake Plummer.

I was just thinking Plummer myself. I think he's a closer comparison to JF than Favre.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jon Gruden Compares Johnny Manziel to Brett Farve. And I compare Jon Gruden to one of those little hairs that grow alongside my anus.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Please be specific. How were Young's 49ers teams less talented than Montana's for example? I'd like to see these documents.

Honestly I'm not sure if you're being serious here or not because there is no question that the rosters when Montana was playing were WAY more talented. Plus no salary cap, oh and the coaches too.

www.profootballreference.com will help.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I'm going on record, agreeing with Gruden. If Fran Tarkington and Brett Farve had a baby, his name would be Johnny Football.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Elmgrovegnome said: ↑
Jon Gruden Compares Johnny Manziel to Brett Farve. And I compare Jon Gruden to one of those little hairs that grow alongside my anus.

If A=B=C... Then that means! Om My God!!! Johnny Manziel is dingleberry orbiting Elm Grove Gnome's black hole, clinging to Jon Gruden's Uranus hair!
That's a hairy and scary situation!

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was awesome.

my favre hate started very early in his career. just something about him that rubbed me the wrong way.

it may have been the way madden used to go on about him. "he likes to have fun". man i wanted to strangle him every time those words came out of his mouth. i have no idea why they used to irritate me so much.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm going on record, agreeing with Gruden. If Fran Tarkington and Brett Farve had a baby, his name would be Johnny Football.

Not with those shoulders, not in the NFL. That style doesn't translate at that level, so he will have to make serious changes to how he operates. Like I always say if an QB wants to survive in the NFL they have to learn to make their living on their side of the line of scrimmage.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
my favre hate started very early in his career. just something about him that rubbed me the wrong way.

it may have been the way madden used to go on about him. "he likes to have fun". man i wanted to strangle him every time those words came out of his mouth. i have no idea why they used to irritate me so much.

Haha!

Normally the hype (see RG3) annoys me, but Favre deserved a lot of his praise.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Haha!

Normally the hype (see RG3) annoys me, but Favre deserved a lot of his praise.

He came up with the big save now and then but if you look at his records, they are records of longevity. He is the Cal Ripken of Football....never as good as fans make him out to be. BTW he holds the record for Avrerage int per season.

I bet if he played anywhere but Green Bay he would not have been as popular.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Honestly I'm not sure if you're being serious here or not because there is no question that the rosters when Montana was playing were WAY more talented. Plus no salary cap, oh and the coaches too.

www.profootballreference.com will help.
No, they weren't. If anything, they were comparable but I'd give the slight edge to the teams that Young was on. The juggernaut was fully functional by then. It wasn't in 1980 when Montana took over.

And Montana upped his game in the post season, Young didn't. That alone puts Montana ahead of Young IMO.

moklerman

Warner-phile
He came up with the big save now and then but if you look at his records, they are records of longevity. He is the Cal Ripken of Football....never as good as fans make him out to be. BTW he holds the record for Avrerage int per season.

I bet if he played anywhere but Green Bay he would not have been as popular.
Three straight MVP's speak for themselves. He was far more than an ironman. He led the league in TD passes 4 times. He put up 31+ TD's for 5 straight years and 39 in a year before they changed all the rules. Before the NFL became flag football, Favre had the most passing TD's in a season in the NFC.

And since when is Green Bay the place to become unfairly popularized? Before Favre came along, Green Bay was where players got traded as punishment or a last stop in their career. It had been along time since Green Bay was known as Title Town. All through the '70's and '80's they were awful. From 1968 to 1992 they went to the playoffs just twice and had a winning record only four times. When Favre became the starter they were a perennial winner and playoff team. In his first 7 years as starter they went to the playoffs 6 times, the Super Bowl twice and won it all for the first time in almost 30 years.

I understand why the perception of Favre is what it is and he brought a lot of that on himself. But it's flat out wrong to act as if he wasn't a star for a reason.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He was a good player. But he had good teams to play on. He didn't do it alone. But Green Bay is one of the most storied franchises in the NFL. They don't call it the Lombardi trophy for nothing. Talking heads Want Green Bay to be good. Sure Favre was good but I'd take Kurt Warners 92% completion in a playoff game with Arizona, over any of Favres performances.

Favre made some glaring mistakes in Big games. Just as many bad forced throws that resulted in INts as he did big throws to win the game.....maybe more. That is the part that I don't really like about his play. Rogers is better than Favre, but when the history books are written he wont be as notable. Look up his records. Nearly everyone is based on playing for so long, except the int per season record.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No, they weren't. If anything, they were comparable but I'd give the slight edge to the teams that Young was on. The juggernaut was fully functional by then. It wasn't in 1980 when Montana took over.

And Montana upped his game in the post season, Young didn't. That alone puts Montana ahead of Young IMO.

I think Young was the better player. His scrambling ability put him ahead of Montana. They both were good QBs, albeit in a West Coast offense where you don't have to be amazing to be good.