Joe Thomas... Would you pull the trigger?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Somehow, I doubt it would turn out any better than the Jake Long pickup so no.

GRob is still raw as hell but the talent is absolutely there, I'm willing to let it play out with him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Lets start with Thomas....he has been horrible this year. Im not sold on GRob, but I also dont want to switch him around again. At some point you have to swim or sink with him. GRob is still average but has played better. I think we have to see it through with him. I do like Mack, but Barnes has played really well and Mack has a big fat contract.

If I could get Thomas on the cheap I might take a look. No dead money left on his contract if you cut him. It would be to play RT though, not LT. Would not give more than a 5th to get him either.

How has Thomas been horrible? He's the top rated tackle thru the first seven weeks and we just watched him hold his own vs the best DE in football Quinn.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On that blocked fg the pressure came right from 73s vasinity. Couldn't tell if it was him or the guard but that's the 2nd blocked kick this year that came from his area
Naw he didn't give up the block it was the guard and center area both of them was on their ass at the end of the play GROB has been playing much better these last 3 games

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I might be in the minority, but I think GRob has looked pretty good this year and has shown improvement. He still has a way to go, but I like what I am seeing.

Going after older offensive lineman hasn't really worked out for us in the past. We also want to be careful with how we spend our cap dollars. We'll have lots of big contracts due soon enough as all of our young talent starts looking to get paid.

Plus, there are currently plenty of tackles on the roster. If GRob is not the answer long term at LT then we will have to look yo guys like Battle as we move GRob inside. At 30, Thomas definitely is not the answer for our LT of the future. He'd be more of a stop-grap to buy time until the younger guys are ready. Which is fine. But how much $$$ are you willing to pay for a stop gap when, all of our exciting improvements the past few years notwithstanding, we're more than just 1 offensive tackle away from seriously contending for a superbowl? Not to mention when it will takes real assets to acquire Thomas?

There is no doubt the man can still play. But I would not be interested in adding Thomas unless he came on the cheap. As in 3rd round pick. Maybe another Barron type deal would be nice -> 3rd rounder + 5th rounder. I very much doubt the Browns move him for that. IN fact, I doubt the Browns move him at all. Pass.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd trade for Mack in a heartbeat. Thomas, I'd consider, but I think Robinson has played better as the season has gone on, making me more comfortable that the more experience he picks up, the better he can be - and his upside is Joe Thomas.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Joe Thomas is an Orlando Pace level hall of fame LT and is just 30. I can't believe that we'd not look at dealing a 2nd or third for him just to protect GRob. I don't care if GRob is improving, he has miles to go before he even sniffs that level of play. Thomas isn't injury prone like Jake Long. He's not old before his time. We fully expect 4th round Brown to switch sides right out of rookie training camps then switch back yet we are scared to bring on a player who could instantly upgrade the team because we don't believe that GRob could learn a job at another position. Heck, even if Thomas goes to the RT he's miles upon miles better then RH. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Actually... thinking about it further, I'm not sure I'd add Mack. Hear me out. We've built a line that is coming together and playing well. Continuity on the O-line is a huge indicator of success. Barnes has been very good this year, and has provided a steadying influence.

Maybe we actually have a 5-man OL that's worth keeping together and letting grow.

FWIW, Joe Thomas has $10mm cap hits the next 3 years, Alex Mack $8mm. Worth it? Probably. But does that possibly cost you Jenkins this offseason? I don't know.

bskrilla

Starter
On that blocked fg the pressure came right from 73s vasinity. Couldn't tell if it was him or the guard but that's the 2nd blocked kick this year that came from his area

When I watched it it looked like an assingment issue or something. Like 2 1/2 dudes came bowling into Grob. Not sure who was supposed to block them, but I doubt it was drawn up for Grob to have to block almost 3 guys all by himself.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought we were through with bringing in old, worn down declining players?:thinking:

Fisher brought in over 30 yr old past all pro Scott Wells how did that work out? Then Fisher brought in close to 30 yr old x all pro OLT Jake Long how did that work out? Fisher brought in close to 30 yr old x #1 draft pick OT of the Bears Chris Williams how did that work out?Then Fisher brought in close to 30 yr old past all pro OG Davin Joseph, how did that work out?

I am through with signing any of these high priced declining OL'ers. I would be be fine with one a 26 yr or 27 yr old fully healthy & on the incline star OL'er but that's about it. I do like the 2016 UFA 26 yr old 2012 high 2nd rd pick OLT Glenn Gordy though. Rams could have selected him instead of Brian Quick.

GRob did have a fairly respectable performance yesterday but it was far from being good. I have noticed that Frank Cignetti does not use a 6th OL'er on short or goal line situations very much so other than the five starters we just don't see any of the other OL'ers exceptions being the kick returns.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I thought we were through with bringing in old, worn down declining players?:thinking:

Fisher brought in over 30 yr old past all pro Scott Wells how did that work out? Then Fisher brought in close to 30 yr old x all pro OLT Jake Long how did that work out? Fisher brought in close to 30 yr old x #1 draft pick OT of the Bears Chris Williams how did that work out?Then Fisher brought in close to 30 yr old past all pro OG Davin Joseph, how did that work out?

I am through with signing any of these high priced declining OL'ers. I would be be fine with one a 26 yr or 27 yr old fully healthy & on the incline star OL'er but that's about it. I do like the 2016 UFA 26 yr old 2012 high 2nd rd pick OLT Glenn Gordy though. Rams could have selected him instead of Brian Quick.

GRob did have a fairly respectable performance yesterday but it was far from being good. I have noticed that Frank Cignetti does not use a 6th OL'er on short or goal line situations very much so other than the five starters we just don't see any of the other OL'ers exceptions being the kick returns.
In fairness, Joe Thomas is not any of those players you mentioned, nor does he have the extensive injury history of Wells and Long when they arrived. Williams was a bust from the get-go, and Joseph was coming off injuries.

I'm not advocating for Thomas (see my post above), but he's a different animal than any of the guys you're mentioning. The Rams need to stop bringing in aging players coming off major injuries, yes. But Thomas at age 30 should have a good 5 more years of top-caliber play in him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I doubt the Browns ask for more than a second given his age. This team only needs a couple more pieces to win a SB in my mind, and we wont be drafting in the top 10 anytime soon.
We don't know what the Draft pick we are going to get from Philly is yet! It could end up 'Top 10!!':D

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I doubt the Browns ask for more than a second given his age. This team only needs a couple more pieces to win a SB in my mind, and we wont be drafting in the top 10 anytime soon.
They may be able to pull a 1st for him - he's under contract through 2018, and a 1st in 2016 would be under contract only one more year (plus option year) and have to go through the learning part of the NFL and prove he's capable of playing at this level. Thomas is a proven commodity - best LT in football, arguably - and you could probably convince me he's going to have more value than a late 1st to a contending team over a reasonably long period of time.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Joe Thomas isn't injury prone like Joseph, isn't a bust like Williams.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
They may be able to pull a 1st for him - he's under contract through 2018, and a 1st in 2016 would be under contract only one more year (plus option year) and have to go through the learning part of the NFL and prove he's capable of playing at this level. Thomas is a proven commodity - best LT in football, arguably - and you could probably convince me he's going to have more value than a late 1st to a contending team over a reasonably long period of time.

Yes, all this right here.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Joe Thomas is an Orlando Pace level hall of fame LT and is just 30. I can't believe that we'd not look at dealing a 2nd or third for him just to protect GRob. I don't care if GRob is improving, he has miles to go before he even sniffs that level of play. Thomas isn't injury prone like Jake Long. He's not old before his time. We fully expect 4th round Brown to switch sides right out of rookie training camps then switch back yet we are scared to bring on a player who could instantly upgrade the team because we don't believe that GRob could learn a job at another position. Heck, even if Thomas goes to the RT he's miles upon miles better then RH. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Totally Agree! From what I have read Thomas has started every game for the Browns since he was drafted in 2007 (Sounds like a pretty durable and dependable player). If the Rams could get him at a reasonable price I would jump at it! The Rams actually have a good chance to make the playoffs this season and to get a player like Joe Thomas (Which, I still think is too good to be true!) could go a long way in helping the Rams reach that goal! And, at age 30 with no injury history I would think that Thomas has at least a few (If not, several) good years left in him. Of course, I think it all depends on how much the Browns are asking for him!

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amen brother.

This team is only a couple of pieces away, and the guy who said Thomas is playing badly is off his rocker.....hes the best LT in the game still.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If they are willing to trade them both something is up........this doesn't pass the smell test. Either it's a BS rumor or something is wrong with both of them.

It strikes me as odd just sayin'!

Big Willie

Starter
Yes, but not for a first or second round choice. If the Barron trade told us nothing, it told us teams can never have enough good players.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If they are willing to trade them both something is up........this doesn't pass the smell test. Either it's a BS rumor or something is wrong with both of them.

It strikes me as odd just sayin'!

Personally I think it's BS unless they think their cap next year is going to be tight. Thomas is the highest rated tackle in the game, it's hard to think that something physical is up. Maybe privately he's looking to go to a winner.

Probably just a journalist who took a day off and needed to hit a deadline.

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the Browns know a few things:

1) They are not even close to being a winner yet or being able to make the playoffs
2) By the time they are able to make a run (if they develop the young guys on the roster now) *and* even if they hit on draft picks the next few years, Thomas by that time is going to be ready to retire or his game will have fallen off
3) That cap space could be used for younger players to develop (refer to point 1)
so

4) They can get rid of him now for more youth/picks while they can still get something for him, because otherwise his talents will go to waste

That's what Im getting from this. It's smart for them and smart for him, if you think about it.