Joe Thomas... Would you pull the trigger?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
i'd like to review Grob's blocking over the last two games. I think he's got a ways to go but he's rounding into form. Remember, his offense was a joke compared to an NFL offense. He's got a ton to learn at LT but I do think he's making small strides every game this year.

I can't imagine giving up picks for a LT past 30 is gonna work for us. The last LT past 30 we picked up didn't really work out though Thomas is a superior talent to Long.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I think the Rams view GR as their left tackle for the next 8-10 years. No way they move a former #2 overall pick who is just now developing to guard so they can give up draft picks for a older high priced player. If you did that whacha gonna use to draft that wr next year?

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt the Browns ask for more than a second given his age. This team only needs a couple more pieces to win a SB in my mind, and we wont be drafting in the top 10 anytime soon.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
On that blocked fg the pressure came right from 73s vasinity. Couldn't tell if it was him or the guard but that's the 2nd blocked kick this year that came from his area

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Depends on what they want for him. If they're in the market for a tight end, I might consider letting one, or two go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Robinson has been getting better. I'm not moving a guy with his sort of talent and upside.

But if they're willing to part with Thomas fairly cheap, I'd trade for him if he's willing to play RT.

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Robinson is playing out of position imo. He does pretty well when its a bad team, but he is still grading out very poorly and struggles mightily against good players.....in this year he should be showing signs of dominating, not having worse ratings (-8.1) than rookie Rob Havenstein (-3.6). Joe Thomas is still grading out very high at +13.0 (consistently only giving up 4.5 sacks per year his entire career), and its insanely rare to have this kind of talent available on the market....he is the only OL in the history of the league to make a pro bowl his first 8 years. Its a significant area of need, and I think you take the approach of the teams in recent years (Giants and their DL, Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks etc) who made SB runs that if you need 1-2 players to get over the hump you go get them and make your run before free agency rips your roster apart. I would argue left tackle and a #1 wr are the only places this team really desperately needs help to be a SB winning team. Money wise, I dont think the Rams can keep this nucleus intact for more than a few years so strike while the iron is hot.

I think the Browns probably at this point realize its going to be 4-5 years before they can build a team to do damage and by that time Thomas wont be able to help them as much, so they might as well get what they can now and trade him to a team where he can make a huge impact right away. If Foles has protection to help not turn the ball over, I absolutely believe this team can win a SB on the strength of the defense. I would personally love to see this happen, but it depends what the Browns want.

At his age, no way they will expect a very high pick.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Nah man. Grobs starting to get it together. His natural position is not Guard its LT. He's got elite potential at LT and I think he's getting better week by week after a slow start. I think he's improving. I haven't given up on him yet and I don't think the Rams have either. Thomas is elite but he's 30 and it means you've given up on a 2nd overall pick after 1 year by switching him inside.

I'd pull the trigger on Mack though. He could come in and help straight away at C and would be a clear upgrade over a position where we have little depth and not a starter who is ever going to be elite - although I thought Barnes was excellent yesterday!

iced

Not sold on Robinson at LT, so yea I'd do it if the price was reasonable.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It depends on the price. But he might be able to help out GRob and show him how to play LT. I think beyond this season, that's were his true value is. If he helps develop GRob and the price is reasonable, then I say go for it.

tonyl711

Starter
you move GRob to Guard, then in a year or 2 Thomas is ready to retire, then what? your stuck trying to find another LT or you put GRob back there and ask him to learn the position again. let this young line grow together and in a year or 2 they will be fine IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
you move GRob to Guard, then in a year or 2 Thomas is ready to retire, then what? your stuck trying to find another LT or you put GRob back there and ask him to learn the position again. let this young line grow together and in a year or 2 they will be fine IMO.

Then Battle or Williams takes over at OLT. Williams looked good at OLT. GRob still doesn't look good at OLT. It's time to make moves to finish the team. Thomas and Mack would upgrade our line in a hurry. Then draft a TE and WR and we have multiple (in a high tone voice) Superbowls!

I don't know what that does to the Rams cap though.

FrankenRam

Starter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...wns-looking-to-trade-alex-mack-and-joe-thomas

He's 30 now, but still has some good years left in him.

Putting Grob at what I think is his natural position at guard beside him would be incredible and instantly help every phase of our game. Next year draft a bigger wide receiver to be a true #1.

What do you guys think?

I don't buy the rumor. IMO, it's a case of ESPN fanning fires that don't exist. Why would the Browns trade away two excellent players like Thomas & Mack when they are arguably a QB & RB away from being a pretty good team.

The trade deadline in football does not remotely garner the same level of activity as it does in baseball. This is just ESPN acting like it does.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Then find a LT if it comes to that. But Thomas is 30, not 35 so it's not like he's going to be one and done. Robinson IMO is a better guard. Why continue to pound a square peg in a round hole just to avoid looking for a LT? If we get 3 years of good LT play for a 2nd round pick it's a good deal. We're pretty much set on D, looks like we'll have enough to resign our defensive players. RB is set, right side of the OL looks like it will be ok. Center is playing well. We're just getting low production from the QB, WR, and LT. Thomas instantly fixes LT and gives us a dominant LG. We've got Mannion on deck, Foles will be here next year. Leaves us a first and third to fix WR. Seems like a winner to me. The window to win the NFC is wide open now, but it won't be for long. Thomas is an instant upgrade by any measurable standard.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Lets start with Thomas....he has been horrible this year. Im not sold on GRob, but I also dont want to switch him around again. At some point you have to swim or sink with him. GRob is still average but has played better. I think we have to see it through with him. I do like Mack, but Barnes has played really well and Mack has a big fat contract.

If I could get Thomas on the cheap I might take a look. No dead money left on his contract if you cut him. It would be to play RT though, not LT. Would not give more than a 5th to get him either.