Joe Barksdale poised to hit free-agent market/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Joe Barksdale poised to hit free-agent market
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16478/joe-barksdale-poised-to-hit-free-agent-market

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- On Saturday, NFL teams can begin engaging agents of potential unrestricted free agents as the "legal tampering" window opens in advance of the new league year on March 10.

With that negotiating window about to open, it stands to reason that deals for pending free agents to stay with their current team, guys like St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Joe Barksdale, will go on the back burner.

"A lot of times people, players, once they get through, get close, it’s good to test the market," Rams general manager Les Snead said. "And it’s not the worst thing for the team, either, because at the end of the day, now no one is guessing. Here’s the options and I think it makes the club, the player, especially, because he now knows reality versus make believe and it helps the agent make the best decision."

For the Rams, Barksdale is the player that might be the key domino to determine how the rest of their offseason plays out. They'd like to keep him at his usual right tackle spot and as of the end of the season, he made it clear he would like to return.

But making that happen won't be easy. The two sides have discussed a deal but it seems as though the Rams are only willing to pay so much and Barksdale's price could potentially exceed that.

"With Joe, because he was a starter, we’ve had some pretty serious dialogue with those guys," Snead said. "I think we’ve got a nice plan that both of us feel like is the best way to execute going forward and we’ll see where it goes from there."

Estimates for Barksdale's possible price tag have been all over the map. This year's free-agent class could also play in Barksdale's favor as quality tackles are hard to find. Save for Green Bay's Bryan Bulaga, Barksdale is probably the next best tackle poised to hit the market.

In surveying various NFL resources at last month's NFL scouting combine, the numbers ran the gamut from similar to Indianapolis' Gosder Cherilus' $6.9 million annual salary to a more reasonable comparison of the Jets' Breno Giacomini's $4.5 million average salary. The truth, as it often does, could be somewhere in the middle, perhaps closer to the $6 million average pay for guys like Oakland's Austin Howard or Tampa Bay's Anthony Collins.

Simply put, the going rate for solid, durable tackles is probably higher than most teams would like to pay but such players have become increasingly difficult to find. And while the Rams would like to bring Barksdale back, there are those in his camp that express surprise that a deal didn't get done before now.

Given how far Barksdale has come in a little less than three seasons with the Rams, it's understandable why he'd feel a sense of loyalty. The Rams claimed Barksdale off waivers from Oakland in 2012, and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau quickly set about turning him into a productive player. Barksdale took over the starting job at right tackle after an injury to Rodger Saffold early in the 2013 season and never relinquished the job.

Over the past two seasons, Barksdale played in all 32 games, most of them starts. The standard evaluation of his performance has been that he was better in 2013 than 2014, but Barksdale says he was told otherwise by the coaching staff.

"I’m not the person to ask because I’m really hard on myself," Barksdale said. "But the coaches say it’s been really, really good. Better than last year. Obviously I’m a young guy and I’ve still got a lot of room to grow."

There are things outside of Barksdale's control that could also help with that growth. Adding some stability at right guard, for example, would figure to help Barksdale reach his potential. He might have been at his best late in the 2013 season when Saffold played next to him.

But Barksdale has much to consider as the free-agent market opens. He's in the midst of planning an upcoming wedding and this could be his best chance to cash in. In addition to his agent and fiance, Barksdale will also consult mentor and Rams legend Jackie Slater during the process.

So, if the market develops as one might expect -- teams like Carolina and the New York Giants have been connected to Barksdale -- he could face a difficult decision between staying in the place that gave him his chance and landing a more lucrative offer, not that one could begrudge him either way.

"That’s a good question," Barksdale said. "I don’t know. You talk to your agent and fiancé and things like that because at the end of the day, a guy like me is about to have a family, so I’m going to have to do what’s best for them. But the fact still remains that I’d love to be back."

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Barks is young, has filled in admirably at LT, and is a vet in our system so he is a bit better than average IMO. Where he is a known commodity, even highly touted rooks have uneven beginnings (see GRob). I'd go as high as 6.5 mil avg over 5 years. His character in handling that payday is not in question for me.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pay the Man! but don't overpay..

We need to fill other needs instead of creating new ones.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Rams OT Joe Barksdale will hit free-agent market Tuesday. Rams, agent too far apart on deal.

jjab360

Legend
I doubt we'd be willing to pay as much money as some of these OL starved teams with more cap space. I like Barksdale but he's replaceable and someone's going to throw an insane amount of cash at him like the Raiders did with Saffold last year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He's replaceable, right tackles are usually the athletic types who are meant to stop the bullrushing DEs. Although I want a well-rounded one who can handle well-disguised pass rushing situations as well.

someone's going to throw an insane amount of cash at him like the Raiders did with Saffold last year.

Funny how the Raiders drafted Barksdale and then went to us to do a solid job.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He didn't play great this year, but without him, we will need 3 new O line starters. Gotta pay the man, we are over the barrel on this one.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
"That’s a good question," Barksdale said. "I don’t know. You talk to your agent and fiancé and things like that because at the end of the day, a guy like me is about to have a family, so I’m going to have to do what’s best for them. But the fact still remains that I’d love to be back."

Man, this paragraph doesn't exactly fill me confidence (not that I blame him.) If I don't hear some good news on the oline front soon, it's going to be time to start stress smoking again.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I guess this means that Jake Long is moving over the RT or taking over at LG

ram007

Starter
Disappointing to learn that. He is not returning unless it is raiders signing him!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He didn't play great this year, but without him, we will need 3 new O line starters. Gotta pay the man, we are over the barrel on this one.
Personally, I want him back. He was sick or injured last year and had to play next to Joseph, which didn't help. He comes back and Saffold is back at RG our right side is in good shape!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Oh you need more linemen to be a playoff team? Lemme just take this guy then".
-football gods

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes the market is just not right for us on this player. Barksdale is a ONE (1) position OL'er. Joe does not play any other position nor can he swing period. Joe is very durable but he has holes in his game. Snead knows this our OL coach knows this too.

If you have a Sam Bradford @ QB you do not need a Joe Barksdale as your starting OT. See ya Joe.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd prefer a deal gets done. No reason to create another hole on the OLine.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Add to it the fact that Barks has been an iron man to this point, and i'll welcome him back as a long term starter.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

Sign best OC in free agency and good back OL men. (Add C. Boilings OG Bengals if possible too)

Then trade down in draft twice, add LG(if we don't sign LG in free agency),QB & RT in rd 2

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
From reading his interview it sounds like the guy's a bit of a sellsword and is just out there for the money. I like him, but I'd rather have Britt and Kendricks back.

We can sure up our o-line in the draft, restructure Long as our LG, Saffold is more durable at RG anyway. We can pick up an O-liner in 1/2 in the draft, if we can't get Scherff, Peat or Collins I suggest we go after Ty Sambarillo in the second