Joe Barksdale poised to hit free-agent market/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd give him $4 to $5 million a year. $6 million maybe...depending on what the other RT FAs are asking. But more than $6 million would be a strong no for me.
I would be very surprised if he got 6 mill.
Didn't he struggle in the ZBS with the Raiders?
I also would like to see him improve in pass pro.
His best fit seems to be in a run heavy, PBS.
I want him back, but I can't see 5 -6 mill.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
From reading his interview it sounds like the guy's a bit of a sellsword and is just out there for the money. I like him, but I'd rather have Britt and Kendricks back.

We can sure up our o-line in the draft, restructure Long as our LG, Saffold is more durable at RG anyway. We can pick up an O-liner in 1/2 in the draft, if we can't get Scherff, Peat or Collins I suggest we go after Ty Sambarillo in the second

Yes on Britt, ... could go either way on Kendricks.

For the money Barksdale is asking, i'd rather pay a little extra and land Bryan Bulaga. Blow the budget and sign Iupati also. Trade down from the # 10 spot and draft Cameron Erving late in the first. O-Line complete and you still have two 2'nd round draft picks. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes on Britt, ... could go either way on Kendricks.

For the money Barksdale is asking, i'd rather pay a little extra and land Bryan Bulaga. Blow the budget and sign Iupati also. Trade down from the # 10 spot and draft Cameron Erving late in the first. O-Line complete and you still have two 2'nd round draft picks. jmo.

Nope. Save our money to keep our own guys rather than blowing it on high priced FAs. When has signing overpriced FAs worked out?

Rather than taking the money Barksdale is asking and spending MORE than it on one player. We take the money Barksdale is asking and we bring in two of the mid tier OLs to contribute to our team. And then we bring in an OL in the first two rounds of the draft(where the value is right)...and then another OL in the mid rounds(where the value is right). And possibly even another OL in the late rounds(if the value is right).

If we and the Redskins have proven anything, throwing money at the problem does not fix it. This team needs a couple reasonably priced veterans that can provide solid play until the talented draft picks we bring in are ready to go.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Nope. Save our money to keep our own guys rather than blowing it on high priced FAs. When has signing overpriced FAs worked out?

Rather than taking the money Barksdale is asking and spending MORE than it on one player. We take the money Barksdale is asking and we bring in two of the mid tier OLs to contribute to our team. And then we bring in an OL in the first two rounds of the draft(where the value is right)...and then another OL in the mid rounds(where the value is right). And possibly even another OL in the late rounds(if the value is right).

If we and the Redskins have proven anything, throwing money at the problem does not fix it. This team needs a couple reasonably priced veterans that can provide solid play until the talented draft picks we bring in are ready to go.

Sorry, but I disagree. We aren't talking the usual older well ripened free agents of yesteryear, but talented younger players now working on their 2'nd contract. The Rams have holes at 3 OL positions, doubtful they opt for more than one starting draftee on our line, so rather than wait on hopeful lesser players ... again, I'm all in with turning the unit around from the get-go. With a recovering Bradford or any other QB that happens to find himself starting, lets give him a better opportunity for success than just applying, once again, the services of B - level talent. It appears we can afford it, and the money has to be spent somewhere, ... our O-Line has suffered for near on a decade, fix it once and for all so we can break our ugly pattern for mediocrity. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, but I disagree. We aren't talking the usual older well ripened free agents of yesteryear, but talented younger players now working on their 2'nd contract. The Rams have holes at 3 OL positions, doubtful they opt for more than one starting draftee on our line, so rather than wait on hopeful lesser players ... again, I'm all in with turning the unit around from the get-go. With a recovering Bradford or any other QB that happens to find himself starting, lets give him a better opportunity for success than just applying, once again, the services of B - level talent. It appears we can afford it, and the money has to be spent somewhere, ... our O-Line has suffered for near on a decade, fix it once and for all so we can break our ugly pattern for mediocrity. jmo.

Iupati is exactly the type of player that we sign that blows up in our faces again and again. He's an overrated and overpriced player that's about to turn 28 years old that has been getting more and more nicked up the past few years. He's a great run blocker but has major flaws in pass pro. He's a good OG that could be nearing the downside of his career and injury issues that's about to be paid top OG money. IMO, he's the type of guy that will be cut by the end of the third year of his new contract.

And Bulaga is a solid all around player that has had some major durability issues. Again, the type of player that always blows up in our face. And he's about to be paid like a top OT.

I will pass.

Moves like this don't fix it once and for all. They lull us into a false sense of security...like Jake Long, Scott Wells, Jason Brown, Jacob Bell, etc. all did.

Nope. Go get some solid starting OLs with reasonable price tags and draft some highly talented rookies. Because if we throw $15 to $16 million a year combined at Bulaga and Iupati, they're not going to spend high picks on the OL. I'd rather that money go to OUR young players that need extensions and them spend $6 to $7 million a year combined on a couple guys like Justin Blalock/Rob Sims at OG and Jermey Parnell/Ryan Harris/Derek Newton. You come away with an OG and a RT from that list...you have a solid starter for a next year and the Rams still have a reason to go draft a RT and LG of the future. Win-win. We have a bridge player for the rookie, we have depth on our OL, and we have young talent for the future.

And we can take that $8 to $10 million we saved and use it to keep important current Rams on the team.

Frankly, if protecting Sam Bradford is our motivation, I'm not sure why you're calling for Bulaga and Iupati. Sims and Blalock both are superior pass protectors to Iupati(Iupati is the superior run blocker). And Sims/Blalock will be available for shorter contracts, far less guaranteed money, and likely cost $6 million less per year. As far as Bulaga goes, he's a very good pass protector but he's only played 36 of his last 48 games. Hard for him to protect for Sam while he's injured for a quarter of the season.

Yes, I think the best method is to go after a couple mid tier guys who will likely cost the same per year COMBINED that a guy like Iupati will cost by himself. Maybe even less than Iupati. Because we'll have motivation to put talented draft picks behind them giving us veteran starting talent, talented depth in case of injuries, and young OLs for the future. That's a winning formula for me.

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
What's wrong with looking for the money ??? It's not like he'll become public enemy #1 because of it...Football isn't a game to these guys (regardless of what some of them might say), it's a business...I'd like to have him back, but the reality might be that the Rams don't have as much monetary interest as some other teams...

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, Barks isn't a guy I'd overpay for thats all, I'd rather let him go and sign De La Puente and drop Wells. My original post was simply commenting on the fact he doesn't seem bothered where he lands, no emotional connection to playing in the Blue and Gold...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Four straight seasons with season ending injuries...I'm not betting on Long again. I'll be disappointed if the Rams do.
I hear you, but the Rams may not have a choice in the matter

WestCoastRam

Legend
In 2012, the Rams picked up Turner, Shelly Smith and Barksdale and with injuries the line ended up doing okay. I'd actually rather see us do some thing like this in FA. We really need depth across the line and I don't like any of our backups now. I say wait for FA to cool down, buy some bargins on a one year or two year deal and draft prospects that can hopefully start.

Otherwise we - maybe - get one expensive starter that precludes us from keeping talent elsewhere and have to continue to find answers for OL depth.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Yes the market is just not right for us on this player. Barksdale is a ONE (1) position OL'er. Joe does not play any other position nor can he swing period. Joe is very durable but he has holes in his game. Snead knows this our OL coach knows this too.

If you have a Sam Bradford @ QB you do not need a Joe Barksdale as your starting OT. See ya Joe.

This is really just an assumption on your part. He played LT at both college and NFL levels. I'm sure he could adjust to guard if given the opportunity.

And I'm not saying you're wrong about his worth...but he's sure as hell more valuable than Long and Wells. To let Barksdale walk while we overpay those two is ludicrous.

Maybe the Rams will eventually cut them both and sign someone better than Barksdale, along with an interior lineman. Maybe they're hellbent on using that 10 pick on one of many 1st round tackles.

I don't know. I'll try to reserve judgment and we'll see what happens. But from where I'm sitting, it looks like they're about to let one of the only competent linemen walk in order to hang on to two used up vets with zero to offer. And if I'm right, that's very, very bad.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I guess this means that Jake Long is moving over the RT or taking over at LG

And the problem there is obvious, can he stay healthy. I am mixed on Barksdale, I mean Chris Williams was bust with Chicago but played okay in 2013 for us . .. a coach Bou reclamation project, Barksdale is about the same, but he's had one good and one okay year for us. But he stays healthy, I would think we need to pay him, unlike Williams.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
And the problem there is obvious, can he stay healthy. I am mixed on Barksdale, I mean Chris Williams was bust with Chicago but played okay in 2013 for us . .. a coach Bou reclamation project, Barksdale is about the same, but he's had one good and one okay year for us. But he stays healthy, I would think we need to pay him, unlike Williams.
I'm not saying that I prefer Jake Long over Barksdale, I was just stating that I think that's the direction that the team is going in.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
IRVING, Texas -- With free agency set to begin Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys made their choice at right tackle by re-signing Doug Free to a three-year deal.

The deal is worth $15 million and includes $6 million in guaranteed money, according to a source [link].

------

Could this be the standard of measure right now for Barksdale?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
IRVING, Texas -- With free agency set to begin Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys made their choice at right tackle by re-signing Doug Free to a three-year deal.

The deal is worth $15 million and includes $6 million in guaranteed money, according to a source [link].

------

Could this be the standard of measure right now for Barksdale?
Is Free better than Joe?
That oline in Dallas is the best in the business.
I can't count the times I've seen Romo stand in the pocket for 5 + seconds.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Any healthy bodies with current starting OL experience would be an instant upgrade over most of the guys we have.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Iupati is exactly the type of player that we sign that blows up in our faces again and again. He's an overrated and overpriced player that's about to turn 28 years old that has been getting more and more nicked up the past few years. He's a great run blocker but has major flaws in pass pro. He's a good OG that could be nearing the downside of his career and injury issues that's about to be paid top OG money. IMO, he's the type of guy that will be cut by the end of the third year of his new contract.

And Bulaga is a solid all around player that has had some major durability issues. Again, the type of player that always blows up in our face. And he's about to be paid like a top OT.

I will pass.

Moves like this don't fix it once and for all. They lull us into a false sense of security...like Jake Long, Scott Wells, Jason Brown, Jacob Bell, etc. all did.

Nope. Go get some solid starting OLs with reasonable price tags and draft some highly talented rookies.

Yes, I think the best method is to go after a couple mid tier guys who will likely cost the same per year COMBINED that a guy like Iupati will cost by himself. Maybe even less than Iupati. Because we'll have motivation to put talented draft picks behind them giving us veteran starting talent, talented depth in case of injuries, and young OLs for the future. That's a winning formula for me.

Who are these mythical 'mid-tier' players whom you are convinced will turn our O-Line into a strength rather than weakness ?
I appreciate your passion, but i'm sure you've heard about contracts with incentive clauses. Guys like Iupati & Bulaga, even JLong, should he return, expect to see them as part of any offer. You name a string of past free agent busts, so are we to stop playing the game due to bad decision making, or do we learn to play it better ? It was only a few years back when Rams fans were saying we should never draft a DT, ... then Brockers & Donald happened.
Do I need to explain how a better rush helps the QB, and in turn, the passing game ? Iupati and Bulaga are very good at what they do, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't develop later round draftees to improve depth. The problem is that the Rams allowed this unit to steadily decline while attempting to correct our many other deficiencies on a very bad team which Fisher inherited. Now we are plagued with not only 3 large holes, but extremely little depth behind those holes. You can tinker with your personnel, bringing in lesser talent and praying they answer your needs, or you can fix the problem with a couple solid vets and add improved depth thru the draft. It's past the time for neglect, I don't wish to continue to waste our newly minted defensive assets with a second rate OL, one which hinders both the pass & rush. We have been playing from behind with our O-Line for years, sometimes you have to spend a little to catch up, ... I believe that time is now for this unit. jmo.