Joe Barksdale poised to hit free-agent market/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Can you identify the newly created hole in an OL thats really just one big hole......Mojo?
A Right Tackle who has been solid for the most part, and has not missed a game and doesn't limp to the sidelines every other week with a "ding."
All things considered...that sounds good to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Add to it the fact that Barks has been an iron man to this point, and i'll welcome him back as a long term starter.

Hmmm....Can they release Jake Long and Scott Wells please also IMO, Barksdale wants to test free agency I'm not sure the Rams should overpay, but they've overpaid for two guys far less durable.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hmmm....Can they release Jake Long and Scott Wells please also IMO, Barksdale wants to test free agency I'm not sure the Rams should overpay, but they've overpaid for two guys far less durable.
That's my thinking in paying Barks(only if Wells and Long are released). Saffold and Barks played very well together on the right side, i think we can all agree to that, so it makes sense to me, after drafting our LT(Robinson) that we solidify the right side and leave two holes to fill via FA and the draft.
Saffold got paid(overpaid but that's the FA game), Barks will cost less than that, GRob is under rookie contract...so basically you overpay for a FA(Wisniewski for example) and find a rookie to plug into the LG spot at a discount. That's not an overpaid OLine IMO.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I doubt we'd be willing to pay as much money as some of these OL starved teams with more cap space. I like Barksdale but he's replaceable and someone's going to throw an insane amount of cash at him like the Raiders did with Saffold last year.

I don't see that. His max pay will be 6.5 million if the market is good. That's too much in my mind. Looks like we will need to go OL early and often this year. OL rounds 1-3...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd give him $4 to $5 million a year. $6 million maybe...depending on what the other RT FAs are asking. But more than $6 million would be a strong no for me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd give him $4 to $5 million a year. $6 million maybe...depending on what the other RT FAs are asking. But more than $6 million would be a strong no for me.
So if Barks proves to be too expensive(say over six mill)assuming that Long and Wells are gone...how do you realistically and effectively expect to fill three holes on the line before week one?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if Barks proves to be too expensive(say over six mill)assuming that Long and Wells are gone...how do you realistically and effectively expect to fill three holes on the line before week one?

Justin Blalock
Jermey Parnell
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

And I don't think Center is necessarily a hole. As long as Wells isn't playing there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Justin Blalock
Jermey Parnell
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

And I don't think Center is necessarily a hole. As long as Wells isn't playing there.
Yuck. I think I'd rather have last seasons OLine. If you plan on using a rookie at Center...that's not realistic under Fisher/Snead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yuck. I think I'd rather have last seasons OLine. If you plan on using a rookie at Center...that's not realistic under Fisher/Snead.

I'm not planning on using a rookie at Center. I'm planning on using Barrett Jones or Rhaney at Center.

You can take last year's OL. I'll take the OL that doesn't have Wells botching snaps and a turnstile named Davin Joseph.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not planning on using a rookie at Center. I'm planning on using Barrett Jones or Rhaney at Center.
I don't think that's realistic either.

You can take last year's OL. I'll take the OL that doesn't have Wells botching snaps and a turnstile named Davin Joseph.
Was talking about Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barks...before it all fell apart.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that's realistic either.

Was talking about Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barks...before it all fell apart.

Which held together for like 4.5 games. And Wells still stunk.

I think it is quite realistic. Jones held his own last year when he stepped in and knows the system. Rhaney has had a year in the system. I'd feel fine starting one of the two. But I also think it would be smart to use a pick on a guy like Cann or Erving who can play OG or Center.

But if you're that concerned, we could always sign a cheap veteran Center to compete with those two.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I would be pissed if we let him walk. He is the reason Saffold got kicked to G. He's durable and a great teammate and is still ascending. He's a big guitar and music guy on social media. He's a smart player who will work on his problems and should solidify RT for the next 3-5 years IMO. He's pretty dependable and I think his best football is ahead of him.

Also give the guy more TE help against elite pass rushers on his side. Got to put these guys in better positions to succeed and it's little things like that that can help slow down and contain guys like Houston, Aldon Smith or whoever has his number on a certain day.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Easy to say pay the man when it comes to Barksdale, but the Rams would be foolish to overpay him. Hell, the guy gave up 8.5 sacks last year (stats.com).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I still don't get why Wells is still on the roster. Ditto for Long. I really think that counting on Long is wishful thinking and a waste of money.

I agree and think the lower range you got is more in accordance to Joe's play however other teams set the bar. I would rather have Wisneiwski at 4 million than Barksdale at 6, but the wildcard here is Rhaney. I really discount Barrett Jones ability to start because as bad as parts of the OLine were last year, if he was even decent he should have started over Wells or Joseph. Rhaney was injured all year so he gets a pass and had a very high SPARQ score last year with praise from the coaches to go with it. So maybe Rhaney can play. However does that mean he can play Center? Or Guard.

I guess we find out what the coaches think when Free Agency and the draft are over.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
This is why the Rams have to draft 3 OL and sign FA OL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the Cowboys reportedly close to re-signing Free, I think Jermey Parnell is a good option for us in FA. He should be cheaper than Barksdale, can start at RT, and can be a swing OT. Sign Parnell and Blalock. Possibly a vet Center if the team feels they need to. And then draft a couple talented OLs. I'd also be down with bringing back Person.

That would give us depth and talent. And we wouldn't be forced to start two rookies on the OL. We'd have veterans capable of starting and then capable of providing great depth when our rookies are ready.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Barksdale to hit open market next week
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_80b28dc6-d05b-5f73-a3e6-358fe9ef63d9.html

Joe Barksdale, the Rams’ starting right tackle for the past two seasons, has one foot out the door. Barksdale has decided to test the market Tuesday, the first day of the free agency period, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

The sides are simply too far apart in terms of what the Rams are offering and what the expectations are in the Barksdale camp. Of course, the Rams have more than three days to come up with something that might change Barksdale’s mind, but that appears unlikely.

In addition, outside teams can contact and negotiate with Barksdale starting Saturday as the three-day “legal tampering” window opens. Barksdale had a couple of tough games last season, but losing him would be a blow for the Rams, who already have needs at guard and possibly center on the offensive line.

Barksdale is coming free at a time when there’s a very thin crop at offensive tackle. Green Bay’s Bryan Bulaga is generally considered the best tackle in this year’s free-agent class. Denver’s Orlando Franklin would be No. 2, although he switched to left guard in 2014 after being the Broncos’ starting right tackle for three seasons.

When it comes to possibly replacing Barksdale, the options are limited on the current Rams roster. Jake Long, recovering from a second knee injury in the span of 10 months, could move to right tackle. But it’s not even certain he’ll be on the roster much longer because of a contract clause that guarantees $4 million in base salary if he’s on the roster the fifth day of the league year (March 14).

The current roster also includes offensive tackle Steven Baker, who was on the Rams’ practice squad for the last nine games of the 2014 season. Rodger Saffold has played right tackle in the past, but the coaching staff feels his best position is guard, followed by left tackle.

In other developments, the Rams have sent out one-year tender offers to three of their four restricted free agents.

Quarterback Austin Davis and fullback and tight end Cory Harkey were tendered at the minimum level of $1.5 million. Safety Rodney McLeod was tendered at a second-round level of $2.4 million.

Restricted free agents are players with three years experience and with expiring contracts. Because Davis and Harkey were undrafted players, the Rams would get matching rights if either player got outside offers, but no draft pick compensation if they chose not to match any offer.

They would get a second-round draft pick as compensation on McLeod if they chose not to match an outside offer on him.

The Rams did not make a qualifying offer to restricted free agent Tim Barnes, a center and guard from the University of Missouri. The Rams may try to re-sign him for a lower rate once the free agency period begins.

Also, special teams core player Chase Reynolds and offensive lineman Brandon Washington received one-year tenders offers as exclusive rights free agents (players with less than three years experience).

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
From reading his interview it sounds like the guy's a bit of a sellsword and is just out there for the money. I like him, but I'd rather have Britt and Kendricks back.

We can sure up our o-line in the draft, restructure Long as our LG, Saffold is more durable at RG anyway. We can pick up an O-liner in 1/2 in the draft, if we can't get Scherff, Peat or Collins I suggest we go after Ty Sambarillo in the second

What's wrong with looking for the money ??? It's not like he'll become public enemy #1 because of it...Football isn't a game to these guys (regardless of what some of them might say), it's a business...I'd like to have him back, but the reality might be that the Rams don't have as much monetary interest as some other teams...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From reading his interview it sounds like the guy's a bit of a sellsword and is just out there for the money. I like him, but I'd rather have Britt and Kendricks back.

We can sure up our o-line in the draft, restructure Long as our LG, Saffold is more durable at RG anyway. We can pick up an O-liner in 1/2 in the draft, if we can't get Scherff, Peat or Collins I suggest we go after Ty Sambarillo in the second

Long should not be on this team. He can't stay healthy. No reason to stick with guys that can't stay on the field when we don't have to.