Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like to have a wining season for a change. Fisher has failed me on this #1 desire. But....

This 2015 teams sure has had some serious bad luck INJURIES in the large number of starters:
#1- Gaines CB
#2- Ogletree LB
#3- Saffold OL
#4- Chris Long DE
#5- Quinn DE
#6- Brown OL
#7- McDonald SS
& OL Darrell Williams

Lingering UNhealth for periods of time of WR Quick, RB Gurley ,OL Wichmann later injuries of OL Havenstein, CB Trumaine Johnson, K Gregg Zuerlein, RB Mason & OL Andrew Donnal to name as much come to mind is hard for any coach to win through.
True. And it's a sting that Fisher has felt before when with the Titans in 2004. Prior to that the Titans were in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, but then his team got steamrolled with injuries and he ended up winning 5 games. In 2005, they had serious cap issues and they won 4. In 2006 he again stabilized the team and won 8 games. In 2007 and 2008 they were back in the playoffs. I made this short video a few years ago to illustrate this point.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ICjutpArBY

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If retained, I wonder what kind of top notch offensive coordinator a lame duck Jeff Fisher could hire after 4 losing seasons and in the final year of his contract? And if he is retained, anyone think he wants to give it a final go with a developing rookie as his QB?

I fully expect Fisher to get an extension.

I know that won't be popular and will probably shock a lot of people... But I believe he's here to stay.

We'll need that extension to recruit an OC and retain/attract free agents.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I fully expect Fisher to get an extension.

I know that won't be popular and will probably shock a lot of people... But I believe he's here to stay.

We'll need that extension to recruit an OC and retain/attract free agents.

Even if they keep losing?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If retained, I wonder what kind of top notch offensive coordinator a lame duck Jeff Fisher could hire after 4 losing seasons and in the final year of his contract? And if he is retained, anyone think he wants to give it a final go with a developing rookie as his QB?

I think is the real question Stan needs to be asking himself. The Rams had an OC vacancy this past offseason and Fisher couldn't find a dance partner outside of his own staff - and there were some real options out there.

I know he was denied permission on Chud and Van Pelt - but the hiring process itself was as slow and dull as the offense it generated.

As for the second question - I think if Fish goes into year 5 with the Rams - I think they do draft a rookie QB (first round) and likely start camp with Mannion or Foles as the number 1. The rookie won't get snaps so he won't be ready and we will rinse and repeat.

Honestly though, I find it hard to believe that Fisher will be back here next year. Which means he will - on a new 5 year extension.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher can build a winning team his defense is always capable of winning any game he just have to hire and TRUST his OC to do his job. We have some very good building blocks for offense we have a run oriented offensive line that when healthy proved to be very good you have Gurley and Austin and I honestly like Britt as well we just need to make the right hire and give him the full reins of the offense

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think is the real question Stan needs to be asking himself. The Rams had an OC vacancy this past offseason and Fisher couldn't find a dance partner outside of his own staff - and there were some real options out there.

I know he was denied permission on Chud and Van Pelt - but the hiring process itself was as slow and dull as the offense it generated.

As for the second question - I think if Fish goes into year 5 with the Rams - I think they do draft a rookie QB (first round) and likely start camp with Mannion or Foles as the number 1. The rookie won't get snaps so he won't be ready and we will rinse and repeat.

Honestly though, I find it hard to believe that Fisher will be back here next year. Which means he will - on a new 5 year extension.

Van Pelt's contract should expire after this season; he was supposedly under contract one more year when Fish was denied the interview. The Packers can't block him now unless he re-ups.

Chud can suck it. I have a lot of respect for the guy but don't like the way he took a non-coaching position with the Colts vice our Rams. He had good reason but I still dislike him for it because had Fisher hired him things would likely be much different right now.

I don't want to see Fish go with an unproven guy if at all avoidable. It might be the way he has to go if Kroenke doesn't give him an extension to help him hire the OC. But still there should be some proven options.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Hard to win when only 2 phases of the game work and the 3rd one can't get out of its own way. The D plays well until it is exhausted and then starts giving up big plays. ST has been good overall, but you have to score 20 or more to win games. The rules are so slanted towards the offense, the old theory that defense can win is not going to work now. I like Fisher but Stan needs to demand he hire a good OC and let him run it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Van Pelt's contract should expire after this season; he was supposedly under contract one more year when Fish was denied the interview. The Packers can't block him now unless he re-ups.

Chud can suck it. I have a lot of respect for the guy but don't like the way he took a non-coaching position with the Colts vice our Rams. He had good reason but I still dislike him for it because had Fisher hired him things would likely be much different right now.

I don't want to see Fish go with an unproven guy if at all avoidable. It might be the way he has to go if Kroenke doesn't give him an extension to help him hire the OC. But still there should be some proven options.

I figured neither guy wanted the gig. It's rare for a team to deny one of their guys the shot at a promotion, isn't it?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I figured neither guy wanted the gig. It's rare for a team to deny one of their guys the shot at a promotion, isn't it?

Packers are douchebags, their policy is to block their positional coaches when under contract unless it's for a HC hire.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
True. And it's a sting that Fisher has felt before when with the Titans in 2004. Prior to that the Titans were in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, but then his team got steamrolled with injuries and he ended up winning 5 games. In 2005, they had serious cap issues and they won 4. In 2006 he again stabilized the team and won 8 games. In 2007 and 2008 they were back in the playoffs. I made this short video a few years ago to illustrate this point.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ICjutpArBY

A lot of people look at Fisher's record in a vacuum and don't want to hear the "reasons" why the Titans were up and down. At one point they had to dismantle the roster because they were like 50MIL over the cap.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
On one hand I look at it like who else is out there that's better and won't destroy what little continuity we have.
On the other hand I look at Arians' smug azz and there really is no excuse for how poorly this team has plAyed the last four years.
The sad part is as rams fans weve come to accept mediocrity as good enough because we've been bad for so long.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think so.

Kroenke wants a Patriot way model. I believe he's hitched to Fisher.

This is the best way imho. Build up a team, its just hard to figure when he signed on w/ us that he could predict Sammy b would go down back to back seasons w/ torn ACL. Foles was brought in to take to take a beating while we start to rebuild our OL this season. Now I hope we can be bold to make the right move to get us a good QB, I for one think that was part of the plan for us. Just saying

Edit: Bengals found a QB in Dalton, and stuck w/ Marvin for the long haul, like Pitt has done w/ their last 3 HC.

Sounds like some want to build like the Browns fire/Hire model (n):hiding:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Fisher needs to go he has proven he can't get a decent offence going.
Screenshot_2015-12-12-22-11-44.png

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I believe you hit the nail on the head,CGI! I think Fish is part of the plan that Kroenke has in hi mind and like it or not, i the coach at least through next year! Drafting a wide receiver and LT will serve the team best along with finding a starting qb! Betting on Mannion starting the last 2 games this year to evaluate what he can do!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Packers are douchebags, their policy is to block their positional coaches when under contract unless it's for a HC hire.
Not true, they let McAdoo leave to be OC for the NY Giants

Well, in the "Patriot way model" they fired an under performing Pete Carroll and hired Belechick to take them to the next level. Who's to say Fisher isnt the "Pete Carroll" role?

Athos

Legend
A lot of people look at Fisher's record in a vacuum and don't want to hear the "reasons" why the Titans were up and down. At one point they had to dismantle the roster because they were like 50MIL over the cap.

I don't wanna be a dick, but the excuse engine for Fisher is almost reaching the levels of the excuse engine generated by Cheatriot fans.

All teams deal with cap issues and injuries. Maybe it's coincidence but the fact remains offense has been a cluster everywhere he's been leading to mediocre results outside of McNairs freelancing ways saving the day.

Seriously. What real offensive talent has he ever had on his team outside of the RB position?

Virtually none.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Can't decide on him. Lots I like about how he approaches the game. His fundamentals.on building a defense,
Other than RB's he should not even be allowed to watch the offense practice,
He needs to a forced intervention on the offensive side, new OC, OL, WR, QB TE coaches, with the OC having a say on the O side of the roster.. Honestly other than Gurley that whole side of the ball could be upgraded.

Then again I'd just fire him and Sneed, but the new coach would not only can the O he'd put his stamp on the defense with his " Own" guys.He might even be a 3-4 guy. And since there's no football guy between Fish/ Sneed & StanK, that could just happen.

I think Fisher gets another year to finish out his contract regardless of the zip code. But the zip code will have a lot to say about the next one if he doesn't win next year, like 12 games.