Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm probably in the minority heck I know I am, but I actually like Fisher as a head coach. I like him because he knows how to manage players he knows how to get guys head on straight. I know offensively he is lacking but I don't think firing Fisher is the right idea. What I do believe should be done is hiring a proven successful OC that has full control of game planning and offensive personnel. Managing a team and a group of men Fisher excel in that role better than a lot of coaches today his defenses always play hard. He took a lot of heat for going to all rookies but who can predict injuries the way the rookies where playing it was very encouraging in the RUN game which was all their strengths in college. His offense can succeed in the nfl it's just too risky and too dependant on non injuries which just doesn't happen. So I'm in favor of keeping Fisher but getting a proven OC that can call his own shots.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm in the same group as you, I still want Fisher around, at least one more year with a healthy team to prove what he can accomplish.

Plus I like the Jeff Fisher show, I'm not sure any other coaches do that.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
That makes three of us.

I understand all the disappointment but I feel like stability is what this franchise needs.

Week 4 against the cards is what this team was supposed to look like. Injuries and foles regression for some reason really set us back.

I don't know. Starting over again sounds really exhausting to me.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
On the fence. I think the OP makes some excellent points, and for the most part JF has done a good job with some potential trouble makers. And to say he's had some bad luck is an understatement, particularly with seeing the potential franchise QB he had when he arrived go down with ACL tears two years in a row. Losing a franchise QB almost always sets a team back a couple of years because guys with that ability are exceedingly hard to find. And injuries, especially to the OL and to guys who were emerging like Brian Quick in 2014 have certainly bit him in the ass.

But he's also made some bets that have really blown up in his face. From two bad hirings at OC, to his wildly lurching attempts to build the OL (from virtually all FA signings to almost all rookies, instead of a more balance approach), and most recently, his role in extending Nick Foles. His risk aversion on offense - which led at least to the first bad OC hiring - has ultimately held this team back, because they don't know how to take chances when they need to and they let too many inferior teams hang around long after they should have been dispatched.

So I'm torn. He's done a great job on the defensive side of the ball. Special teams have been pretty good since he's been here, after nearly a decade of abysmal performance in that area. But he has utterly failed on the offensive side of the ball, and while there are mitigating circumstances as mentioned above, his basic philosophical approach is a fundamental problem that would hold this team back if not changed.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let me know who the coaches are who are superior to Fish and available to be hired by us next year.

FRO

Legend
I like Fisher, but it's very likely that we finish worse this year than last year. That would mean each year under Fisher our record will have gotten worse. You cannot reward that with a 5th year. Maybe the coach that succeeds him is worse. All I know is Fisher got a fair shot at fixing it, and he didn't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like him as a coach, and he seems like a cool guy, but man this offense is brutal to watch.
And it's been brutal to watch for 4 years now. I don't know that I can watch this stuff again next year.
I really don't think I can do it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I like Fisher, too. But, it's been 4 years and he's never built was he said he was going to build when hired.

fearsomefour

Legend
I still support Fisher, but, mostly by default.
The D has been built up. What I fear is a new coach with a new approach (on D) and wanting different personal....see Barron in Tampa....the O is completely broken. I don't want a coach that is going to also want to fix what is not broken.
There is still a window, decreasing every year, to get the O up to snuff to work with the D and put something together. The last thing I want is to start over again.
Plus, I haven't heard any candidates that are intriguing to me.
I like Hue Jackson quite a bit and think he got a raw deal in Oakland. Does he really represent a HC upgrade over Fisher....doubtful.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he would simply hire Martz as OC this offseason he would be in business. Martz has been humbled since his more arrogant days. He has the elite level of passing game knowledge this staff sorely lacks. He also knows QBs like few others, and would help this team make the right call on which vet to use as a bridge for the draftee not to mention who to draft.

Martz and Williams would give Jeff Fisher the best coordinator duo in this league. And neither are likely to be poached any time soon as head coaches. IMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Quite frankly, I'd like the defense to move more towards what Carolina or Seattle have built. Simply things and play with better fundamentals.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm probably in the minority heck I know I am, but I actually like Fisher as a head coach. I like him because he knows how to manage players he knows how to get guys head on straight. I know offensively he is lacking but I don't think firing Fisher is the right idea. What I do believe should be done is hiring a proven successful OC that has full control of game planning and offensive personnel. Managing a team and a group of men Fisher excel in that role better than a lot of coaches today his defenses always play hard. He took a lot of heat for going to all rookies but who can predict injuries the way the rookies where playing it was very encouraging in the RUN game which was all their strengths in college. His offense can succeed in the nfl it's just too risky and too dependant on non injuries which just doesn't happen. So I'm in favor of keeping Fisher but getting a proven OC that can call his own shots.

I am just terrified by the thought of who he will hire. But outside of that I agree. Big Fisher fan, just don't trust him in that regard any more.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Brutal as it is, 5-6 weeks ago Gurley goes for 140 a game.

I think he's a decent O line away from serious playoff contention.

He's a football coach. Has to focus but he can get it done.

I'd like to see what another Snead-Fisher draft looks like.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He already has a 5th year that was the contract when he signed up and he hasn't done anything egregious that would demand his removal. He has had crappy luck with injuries and that is the most damning thing anyone can say. There are some issues with penalties but he has made changes turning over a whole dumpster full of garbage and building a great defense and ST. The offense is still being built, there have been set backs most obvious with Bradford but, he pulled off a deal to get rid of the salary, get a guy who could have won a few games had he returned to previous form.

I don't see Fisher getting dumped, he may even get that extension which would allow him to bring in that new OC.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would be fine with Fisher If he hired better personnel and let them express themselves specifically on offense.
And we all know that is not happening.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like him as a coach, and he seems like a cool guy, but man this offense is brutal to watch.
And it's been brutal to watch for 4 years now. I don't know that I can watch this stuff again next year.
I really don't think I can do it.
Eat your Brussels Sprouts!!

MountainRam

Rookie
tumblr_mj33tr3lcu1s39jklo1_500.gif

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
On September 21, 2014 I shared my thoughts about Jeff Fisher here:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/im-not-sure-coach-fisher-is-the-answer-because.30576/

Two questions for everyone on this board are below. Answers to these questions interest me in the sense that I often wonder if hope and unending optimism, blinds sports fans from seeing what's real.

1 year and 3 months later, what is your opinion about Jeff Fisher as the Rams head coach in the future? (Does it differ from your opinion 15 months ago)

Also: When did you personally first notice that Fisher was definitely not the answer for us?

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I have always liked Fisher. I just think he has bet on his guys staying healthy and lost that bet every single year. It's very tough to win when you get dealt a garbage hand every season. I'm thinking that if we stick with him, his luck will have to take a turn for the better at some point.