Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No question if we had quality performance at QB, we'd be better. No disagreement there.

Yet, with Fisher's offensive track record over 20 seasons, is he really that unlucky finding "the right one"?

How much better would this team be with a top 16 offense? Tampa has one with a rookie QB. The Jets are top 16 with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Houston is top 16 with Brian Hoyer and TJ Yates.

And... guess what? Philadelphia is top 16 with former Ram - Sam Bradford.

If Fisher had a top 16 offense, we'd have 2 more wins. One could argue, potentially 3-4 more wins.

I agree a quality QB will help, but there's something else going on here than just that.

(And... I'm in the keep Fisher camp)
I too think it's something more. I don't think Fisher recognizes the critically inherent traits of a good NFL QB. Competitiveness, attitude, moxie, leadership....i don't think he necessarily gets it in terms of relating that to a philosophy of conservative possession run first football. You can't just insert a game managing QB into that template and expect results in today's NFL. Bradford was a smart, team guy with a good NFL arm. Foles is a team guy with some leadership qualities. Do either of these QB's strike anyone as guys who absolutely hate to lose? Not saying their bad teammates but IMO they just don't have that ultra-competitive type, ego-centric attitude which often translates to true leadership(as long as their personality doesn't rub the locker room the wrong way).

IMO Fisher has been looking for a QB who can play a role in HIS offense rather than a QB who can LEAD men and take full responsibility for wins and losses and hold his teammates accountable....so to speak.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't see what Fisher has done in the 4 years here that would leave any level of confidence that next year offense would be any better if he was back.
As for hoping he'll turn over the reigns a la Vermeil, who's gonna force him to do that?
Anyways I'm not a fan of continuity as it pertains to this team. I'm ready for a change.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As for hoping he'll turn over the reigns a la Vermeil, who's gonna force him to do that?
That's really a great question. Kroenke? Snead? It would be helpful to know what the plan is from the top of course. Relocation etc...
Multi-billion dollar business men always have a plan. Plan A, plan B, plan Z.
I think Snead has gained some clout since joining the organization 4 years ago. Has he gained enough to call the shots in terms of big picture? Idk.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's really a great question. Kroenke? Snead? It would be helpful to know what the plan is from the top of course. Relocation etc...
I think Snead has gained some clout since joining the organization 4 years ago. Has he gained enough to call the shots in terms of big picture? Idk.
I think the big difference between the two is that vermeil had been out of the game for 15 years and recognized the game had passed him by where Fisher only was out of work for 1 year so I don't think he sees how the game has passed him by
For all his bravado I just can't see him following marching orders.
We'll see.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He doesn't and hasn't had a quality QB on offense.

So... the next very important question to me is...

Do you trust Jeff Fisher to find that QB?

I have my reservations (and not for dinner tonight :LOL:)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And companies have a system of checks and balances that eliminates one person from making all the decisions (they have various Committees and a Board of Directors).

What do the Rams have?
1] An owner who seems disinterested in imposing his inherent power on day-to-day management (i.e. a Board of Directors that isn't involved... doesn't even meet)
2] One person in the organization who has power over:
* Hiring
* Firing
* Promotions
* Day-to-day operations

Not balanced at all.

If bad decisions are made too often and no controls are in place to limit that, the system and organizational structure is usually changed.

Or the company goes BK.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah you are right. And I like Fisher, but I struggle with him passing on so many QBs in the draft. If a team is ever in position to draft a good QB, they should do it if possible, even if they have a QB, as long as they believe he is an NFL starting caliber QB. They can sit him and let him learn and have a great backup who can challenge the starter. If a team needs a QB they absolutely should never pass on one if they have a chance to draft a guy that they feel is an NFL starting QB, even if he has to sit a year.

So, did he and Snead totally screw the evaluations on Carr, Bortles, Bridgewater, or couldn't they bring themselves to prioritize the QB position over all else, which most coaches and GMs have learned to do years ago?

He tried to fix that mistake this past offseason, so I think he gets it now. So he should get a shot at fixing it again. Landing a good OC and capable QB have to be his priorities, even if he thinks Mannion is the future. Fitzpatrick or Glennon coupled with Martz would score enough points, coupled with this defense to win. One easy fix in one offseason. One good OC he trusts and a capable veteran QB that just has to be competent, like Foles was early in the season.

I can understand not spending a high draft choice on a QB during the first 3 seasons. Basically, via years 1-3, he banked on Bradford (who was apparently key to him coming) and guessed wrong.

nighttrain

Legend
I have always liked Fisher. I just think he has bet on his guys staying healthy and lost that bet every single year. It's very tough to win when you get dealt a garbage hand every season. I'm thinking that if we stick with him, his luck will have to take a turn for the better at some point.
it would be really really cool
train

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just don't see how anyone can justify keeping Fisher.

He's had more draft picks and gotten more talented players over the years and yet....

7-8-1 to 7-9 to 6-10 to (currently) 4-8 - with good odds that we finish, at best, 6-10.

The Bradford injury excuse was valid for a few years....but now? Coaches in the league are playing .500 ball or better with non-franchise QBs (Bills, Jets, Texans)....what can't we?

Fisher.

MountainRam

Rookie
Let's start with what Rams need next year to win:

1. QB
2. Re-Sign majority of 17 or so to be Free Agents so defense doesn't have to rebuilt (many want to leave the ship wreck here)
3. Fortify OL with some new comers
4. Find a new #1 WR
5. Find a Slot WR
6. Possibly find a new fullback
7. Find a #1 TE
8. Find a new OC. Rob Boras is just intrigue here to divert attention from Fisher. New OC means new terminology. With new comers who knows how much time they may need to come together.
9. ..Hope GRob can pass block next year
10. On top of this, We should all pray for good health of this team to have any chance of winning next season.

What happens then if Rams are 4-8 again next season: Fisher will be let go then. And a new coach/GM is now dealt a bad hand to start with-tied to all the new draft picks in 2016 and the majority of 17 FAs who are resigned that will put Rams in tough cap situation if new HC needs to cut players.

So to get Rams to a winning season sooner than later:

1. Let Fisher go now (not end of season)
2. Make a decision on Rams staying in STL or going to LA before end of regular season
3. Hire a new GM
4. Give the new GM a chance to hire the HC.
5. This will give the new HC a chance to convince to be FAs from this team to sign with the team
6. New GM will have close to $55 million dollars of cap to work with and the 2016 draft to work with

Lets go on a run as soon as 2016 or 2017.

Having Fisher next year is no win situation for the Rams next year. Nada.

To me it's a rational thing to do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can understand not spending a high draft choice on a QB during the first 3 seasons. Basically, via years 1-3, he banked on Bradford (who was apparently key to him coming) and guessed wrong.

Personal preference I guess. If your QB is lights out like Brady or Rodgers. Sure, but if you have a middlin QB why not look for upgrades? As a GM I would always be looking for potential upgrades. QB is the most important position. A GM should always be looking at the future.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Personal preference I guess. If your QB is lights out like Brady or Rodgers. Sure, but if you have a middlin QB why not look for upgrades? As a GM I would always be looking for potential upgrades. QB is the most important position. A GM should always be looking at the future.

He clearly didn't believe that Bradford was a middlin QB. He honestly believed he was a top of the league talent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He clearly didn't believe that Bradford was a middlin QB. He honestly believed he was a top of the league talent.

And that displays stubbornness? Poor talent evaluation? How many of us fans actually thought Sam was a franchise guy after the first ACL, or even after the first Fisher year. If asked, "could the Rams improve at QB?" Who would have said no?

I like Fisher but That is one big flaw that worries me, especially when such a large majority hear all kept wondering when the 1st to 3rd round OLine picks were going to happen, or why, since Sam's injuries weren't any QBs considered.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/recap/NFL_20120101_IND@JAC

I'm all for getting rid of Fisher....but remember this game? All the Jags had to do was let the Colts win, and they wouldn't be dealing with Andrew Luck. I really think we would've drafted Luck....or at least I really hope we would have.

We wouldn't have some of the pieces we have now, but we might still have a lot considering we would have had the same coaching staff and GM....we might still snag Donald, just not Robinson.

Aren't we all at least glad we made the trade and didn't take RG3? And then in subsequent years, there wasn't really a QB worth taking...Bortles instead of Robinson I guess. I wish we would have done that now..

That said....all the Jags had to do was let the Colts win...still can't believe that.

Shoman01

Rookie
11 mores losses and Fisher has the most losses of any coach in NFL history. Will the Rams keep him so he can break the record?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I like him as a coach, and he seems like a cool guy, but man this offense is brutal to watch.
And it's been brutal to watch for 4 years now. I don't know that I can watch this stuff again next year.
I really don't think I can do it.

It's been bad since 2007 IMO, not just these last 4 years.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If retained, I wonder what kind of top notch offensive coordinator a lame duck Jeff Fisher could hire after 4 losing seasons and in the final year of his contract? And if he is retained, anyone think he wants to give it a final go with a developing rookie as his QB?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like to have a wining season for a change. Fisher has failed me on this #1 desire. But....

This 2015 teams sure has had some serious bad luck INJURIES in the large number of starters:
#1- Gaines CB
#2- Ogletree LB
#3- Saffold OL
#4- Chris Long DE
#5- Quinn DE
#6- Brown OL
#7- McDonald SS
& OL Darrell Williams

Lingering UNhealth for periods of time of WR Quick, RB Gurley ,OL Wichmann later injuries of OL Havenstein, CB Trumaine Johnson, K Gregg Zuerlein, RB Mason & OL Andrew Donnal to name as much come to mind is hard for any coach to win through.