Jay Cutler - Would you do it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you acquire Jay Cutler?

• Yes

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Only if Bradford won't take a pay cut

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Tanking doesn't happen in the NFL and that(Bradford getting hurt) likely gets Fisher fired(after it results in another 6-10 or 7-9 record). Which could result in us getting stuck with another Linehan and Spags and all this talent we brought in being wasted under an incompetent coaching staff. There's also the possibility we hire a better coach but I'm not exactly betting on that with the Rams track record.

I'd rather take a chance on Cutler. Doesn't stop us from getting someone in 2016 or trying to get Mariota/Winston this year. It just buys us time.
Can't subscribe to the idea that you can tie the Rams track record to Kroenke , he's already broken from the old hire a coordinator and give him a four year deal practice and paid FMV for what was at the time the top rated candidate .
Had Kroenke been in charge when we hired Linny ,Washington would not have outbid our offer to GWilliams when he was only going to be a DC,he'd have gotten his man. We hired Linny because he was ready to take about the same money for his entire staff as Martz wanted , I've seen no indication Stan wouldn't go first class again ,then again I'm not even convinced we don't extend Fisher by another year before next season, SK is a real estate developer and is willing to play the long game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't subscribe to the idea that you can tie the Rams track record to Kroenke , he's already broken from the old hire a coordinator and give him a four year deal practice and paid FMV for what was at the time the top rated candidate .
Had Kroenke been in charge when we hired Linny ,Washington would not have outbid our offer to GWilliams when he was only going to be a DC,he'd have gotten his man. We hired Linny because he was ready to take about the same money for his entire staff as Martz wanted , I've seen no indication Stan wouldn't go first class again ,then again I'm not even convinced we don't extend Fisher by another year before next season, SK is a real estate developer and is willing to play the long game.

Even if Kroenke went first class, there's no guarantee that the hire works out.

Regardless, I'm not content to sit through another losing season so we can maybe get a top QB next year. That's just not a solution that I want to entertain.

ONLY because he'd shove Cook back, we traded the rights to Cutler in one of IMO the best moves we ever made ,then we screwed the pooch on the picks ,then Lovie gave up even more for him ,he's worn out his welcome with two teams , he's a coach killer who reminds me of Geoff George.
I'm not in favor of a desperation move ,and hope we don't , I keep coming back to this ,if we are so afraid of Bradfords injury history, anyone who trades for Sam would be as well and IMO they would be doing it to unload a bigger problem

A problem for them might not be a problem for us. You're talking about two teams at very different points.

I used the same logic against us signing Kenny Britt...and that moved panned out well. Sometimes, one team's problem is another team's solution.

No to Cutler, he does nothing to help the Rams. And why would we want to pick up his $15.5 salary ? Between Bradford's dead money and Cutler's salary, the Rams would be tying up $19.mil in CAP.

I'd rather have an O-Line with Bradford than a Cutler with no O-Line. jmo.

$2.5 million isn't the difference between having an OL and not having one.

there is no solution. apart from praying sam stays healthy. the rams have painted themselves into a corner. culter certainly isn't gonna help. i don't know who they can target with a trade.

Cutler isn't going to help? He helped Chicago win 67.5% of his starts from 2010 to 2012.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cutler isn't going to help? He helped Chicago win 67.5% of his starts from 2010 to 2012.

he was outplayed by mccown 2 years ago then stunk up the joint last season.

i'm betting the rams aren't interested in him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he was outplayed by mccown 2 years ago then stunk up the joint last season.

i'm betting the rams aren't interested in him.

And while stinking up the joint, he still produced better than any Rams QB since Bulger in 2006.

I get that people don't like the guy as a person but the truth is that there is a solution. It may not be the ideal solution but Cutler is one. The Bears won with him when they had a defense. And he's a competent enough QB to get this Rams team to the playoffs. Even when the guy "stunk up the joint", he accounted for 30 TDs in 15 games.

With a guy like Cutler, you know he'll turn it over. But you accept the turnovers because he'll help your offense score enough points that you can win games if you have a tough defense.

We got 21 TDs in 16 games from our QBs last year. You're don't think the extra 5 points per game that Cutler would have provided would have made a difference for us?

The guy doesn't have to be Tom Brady for us to win. All we need is Jay Cutler. That's all it took for the Bears to go 27-13 with him when they had a good/great defense. And I happen to think our defense will be a strong unit next year. All Cutler has to be is himself.

You don't have to love the guy. You don't have to think he's great. But I'm just surprised that people can't even acknowledge that he's competent. It's not like we need more than that.

Cutler isn't meant to be the future. He's meant to be a bridge. To buy us time to get the future figured out. Do you think Bradford is the future? If you do, I can understand you being against this move. If you don't, I guess I just don't really understand why it's such a strong no when it genuinely seems like the best solution for our team to contend.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I'd take Cutler, although I'm not 100% in. I think Cutler gives us a better chance to win.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd sign Cutler as a FA if Bradford gets released but I wouldn't trade for him. As for solutions, there really aren't any. Aside from trying to trade for Glennon, I can't think of anything realistic. Maybe an off the wall trade for a young guy with upside like Carr or Bridgewater, but I don't see hell freezing over any time soon. It's just best to stick with Bradford. We made a mistake not addressing the QB position in the draft, we shouldn't compound it by trading a good pick for what would only be a bridge guy.

Besides, if we let Bradford go, he's just going to go somewhere else to realize his potential and make us look foolish. I'm optimistic Sam can stay healthy. I know I'm in the minority in that, but if he does he trumps Cutler.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd sign Cutler as a FA if Bradford gets released but I wouldn't trade for him. As for solutions, there really aren't any. Aside from trying to trade for Glennon, I can't think of anything realistic. Maybe an off the wall trade for a young guy with upside like Carr or Bridgewater, but I don't see hell freezing over any time soon. It's just best to stick with Bradford. We made a mistake not addressing the QB position in the draft, we shouldn't compound it by trading a good pick for what would only be a bridge guy.

Besides, if we let Bradford go, he's just going to go somewhere else to realize his potential and make us look foolish. I'm optimistic Sam can stay healthy. I know I'm in the minority in that, but if he does he trumps Cutler.

As I said, if the trade would either be a late round pick(like a 7th) or Bradford. So we wouldn't be sacrificing a good pick.

It's just not possible for me to be optimistic with Bradford's health anymore. I'm plenty optimistic with his play on the field...but I can't trust his health.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And while stinking up the joint, he still produced better than any Rams QB since Bulger in 2006.

I get that people don't like the guy as a person but the truth is that there is a solution. It may not be the ideal solution but Cutler is one. The Bears won with him when they had a defense. And he's a competent enough QB to get this Rams team to the playoffs. Even when the guy "stunk up the joint", he accounted for 30 TDs in 15 games.

With a guy like Cutler, you know he'll turn it over. But you accept the turnovers because he'll help your offense score enough points that you can win games if you have a tough defense.

We got 21 TDs in 16 games from our QBs last year. You're don't think the extra 5 points per game that Cutler would have provided would have made a difference for us?

The guy doesn't have to be Tom Brady for us to win. All we need is Jay Cutler. That's all it took for the Bears to go 27-13 with him when they had a good/great defense. And I happen to think our defense will be a strong unit next year. All Cutler has to be is himself.

You don't have to love the guy. You don't have to think he's great. But I'm just surprised that people can't even acknowledge that he's competent. It's not like we need more than that.

Cutler isn't meant to be the future. He's meant to be a bridge. To buy us time to get the future figured out. Do you think Bradford is the future? If you do, I can understand you being against this move. If you don't, I guess I just don't really understand why it's such a strong no when it genuinely seems like the best solution for our team to contend.

It's not that cutler turns the ball over, it's when he turns it over. His turnovers are usually back breaking, putting the game out of reach type turnovers. I haven't done any research but that's the impression I have of him. We all saw the carnage Davis and hill created with their turnovers.

Plus I'm the biggest Sam Homer in this forum. Just injury concerns with him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've always liked Cutler... and as I recall we made a bonehead trade with Denver the year they were able to draft him... we bombed with our picks. I've always wondered how things would have been different with Cutler. I do the trade in a heartbeat if the Bears were willing.

But it ain't gonna happen. Fox and Co would be fired in the preseason if they traded Cutler for Bradford.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not that cutler turns the ball over, it's when he turns it over. His turnovers are usually back breaking, putting the game out of reach type turnovers. I haven't done any research but that's the impression I have of him. We all saw the carnage Davis and hill created with their turnovers.

Plus I'm the biggest Sam Homer in this forum. Just injury concerns with him.

Cutler can be loose with the football but the carnage from Hill and Davis was the fact that they threw something like 0 TDs to 9 Ints when the Rams were tied or trailing by one score in the 4th quarter.

Over the past 5 years, in the same situation, Cutler has 9 TDs to 7 Ints. Certainly not great numbers but that's nothing approaching the total ineptitude Hill and Davis showed in the clutch.

I like Sam a lot too...I just am so worried about his ability to stay healthy and I don't really feel comfortable with the backup options out there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've always liked Cutler... and as I recall we made a bonehead trade with Denver the year they were able to draft him... we bombed with our picks. I've always wondered how things would have been different with Cutler. I do the trade in a heartbeat if the Bears were willing.

But it ain't gonna happen. Fox and Co would be fired in the preseason if they traded Cutler for Bradford.

Rumor is that the Bears want to rebuild and are looking to deal some of their aging, high priced vets. Getting Cutler off their books would save them a lot of money in 2016 and help with their rebuilding effort.

But we'll have to wait and see. Should know fairly soon.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think it is a reasonable option. He does have the skills and a new coach/location might help him get back where he is solid mentally. I admit I would rather have Glennon, but Cutler has proven he can play at a high level and would likley put us in a solid position for the season.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Even if Kroenke went first class, there's no guarantee that the hire works out.

Regardless, I'm not content to sit through another losing season so we can maybe get a top QB next year. That's just not a solution that I want to entertain.

A problem for them might not be a problem for us. You're talking about two teams at very different points.

I used the same logic against us signing Kenny Britt...and that moved panned out well. .
I hear what you are saying there and I too was apprehensive about signing Britt , regardless what I think of Spags I am at least in concurrence that character counts. I don't have time to tell you how many times I've been wrong , but I can't help but think this team needs a leader, Cutler doesn't fill that bill for me and when your QB isn't a leader , well ,comebacks rarely happen.

My main point though was about Fisher and Kroenke , until Stan shows me he's as bad as the last bunch I say the evidence so far is that he's better in that he believes in continuity enough to consider the extreme poor fortune Fisher has had at QB. I know some teams have done well with backups when the starter has gone down, the real question for me is how many teams as young as this one have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Bears have David Fales to start. They have been grooming him for two years, so they could reasonably see what he has got. Trading Cutler helps them move forward. So they wouldn't need Bradford in a trade and probably wouldn't want his contract.

So the Rams would either renegotiate with Sam or release him.

Cutler would be a bridge, like Jrry said. The change of scenery might lighten things up for him a bit. I wouldn't want Brandon Marshall to come along. The two of them together would be bad because Misery loves company and they have a strange connection that makes me think their friendship is a part of the problem.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
As I said, if the trade would either be a late round pick(like a 7th) or Bradford. So we wouldn't be sacrificing a good pick.

It's just not possible for me to be optimistic with Bradford's health anymore. I'm plenty optimistic with his play on the field...but I can't trust his health.

Well, I don't think I could pull the trigger on a Cutler for Bradford trade. I'd give up a late round pick sure, but I'm not sure that's realistic. If a guy with his numbers on a team with no other proven QBs is being traded for a late round pick then it's for a reason and not just money, either.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The irony of this is many don't like Bradford's cap hit. If you dump Sam and trade for Cutler it's a wash basically.
Now obviously the difference is Cutler doesn't have the injury history but talent wise I think they are pretty similar.
I do think Cutler would give us a much better chance of winning than anything else we could get in FA, obviously.

Healthy Bradford=NO
No Sam=YES

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Here is why I wouldnt:

I own a Bradford jersey and don't want to have to buy a Cutler jersey.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I doubt it. I don't think the Bears are going to pay us to take Cutler...but if they did, it wouldn't be a 2nd round pick.

Yea I thought that was too good to be true.

Well even if they don't pay us, id really be tempted on making the switch.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Cutler isn't Roethlisberger good and the Bears aren't winning...which is why we're hearing all that we do. But if the Bears were winning, I doubt this stuff would be coming out. People can overlook issues when the team is winning. Roethlisberger is the same type of tool that Cutler is...he's just a better QB on a winning team.

I am not going to defend Rapesberger, other than he helps his team win. Cutler makes his teams worse by not running the offense the way the coaches want. I wouldn't touch Cutler with a 10-foot pole.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Jimmy Clausen - QB - Bears
Bears re-signed QB Jimmy Clausen.

Clausen appeared in four games for the Bears last season, making one start in Week 16 after then-coach Marc Trestman benched Jay Cutler. Clausen ended up suffering a concussion and was forced to miss Week 17. The former second-round pick completed 26-of-48 passes for 223 yards (4.6 YPA), two touchdowns, and one interception. He'll compete for the backup job.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 6 - 11:31 AM