Jay Cutler - Would you do it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you acquire Jay Cutler?

• Yes

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Only if Bradford won't take a pay cut

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Maybe there gearing up to trade Cutler to the Rams:popcorn::banana::rockon:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Chicago were to cut Cutler to save the 10 mill, I'd be all over it

iced

And while stinking up the joint, he still produced better than any Rams QB since Bulger in 2006.

I get that people don't like the guy as a person but the truth is that there is a solution. It may not be the ideal solution but Cutler is one. The Bears won with him when they had a defense. And he's a competent enough QB to get this Rams team to the playoffs. Even when the guy "stunk up the joint", he accounted for 30 TDs in 15 games.

With a guy like Cutler, you know he'll turn it over. But you accept the turnovers because he'll help your offense score enough points that you can win games if you have a tough defense.

We got 21 TDs in 16 games from our QBs last year. You're don't think the extra 5 points per game that Cutler would have provided would have made a difference for us?

The guy doesn't have to be Tom Brady for us to win. All we need is Jay Cutler. That's all it took for the Bears to go 27-13 with him when they had a good/great defense. And I happen to think our defense will be a strong unit next year. All Cutler has to be is himself.

You don't have to love the guy. You don't have to think he's great. But I'm just surprised that people can't even acknowledge that he's competent. It's not like we need more than that.

Cutler isn't meant to be the future. He's meant to be a bridge. To buy us time to get the future figured out. Do you think Bradford is the future? If you do, I can understand you being against this move. If you don't, I guess I just don't really understand why it's such a strong no when it genuinely seems like the best solution for our team to contend.

Accept he's a turnover machine, particularly in the red zone, and was surrounded with a ton of talent at skill positions - something he wouldn't have here - and he was still out played by Josh Mccown, whom no one wants to touch right now after leading his last team to the #1 overall pick.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cutler isn't meant to be the future. He's meant to be a bridge. To buy us time to get the future figured out.
That's the most important part of your argument right there. I, for one, don't want to meander around .500 because we have to play guys like Hill and Davis for extended periods of time. I also don't want to stick a green rookie in as the starter so he can waste my time for a year or two learning on the fly and possibly getting his confidence destroyed in the process. Maybe if we played in the AFC South, I'd be okay with that. But we don't.

A55VA6

Legend
Yes. Jay Cutler has one hell of an arm. He would be our best option if we acquired him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
When people turn on him (as is often the case), his play tanks and it looks like he simply doesn't care.
This^ is what bothers me most about Cutler. I don't trust him to 'Show up' in every game " No matter what!"

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
No. His turnovers would drive me mad. Its not something he can stop or adapt because its just the way his game is. I'd rather roll with Hill to manage the game rather than get this guy to look great for a quarter or so then throw 3 picks.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@jrry32 ...you took on a monster topic here my man....Why don't I like Cutler for us, when I actually loved his play at Denver? Really hard to explain, but his offense had Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, M. Bennent.....see where I'm going? Elite offensive weapons at every position. He has that body language thing going on...Like he doesn't give a rats azz...And he seems to fold in big moments...For that type of money, sorry, I want a bunch more...
Where do we go, what do we do? Easy, keep Sammy...Keep Davis....Never let Hill back in the building...Sign Josh Freeman or whoever Weinke worked with that he really likes...Draft Hundley...or whoever Weinke & Cig likes...See what I did there? Our team needs to get better....Esp. the o-line...we need to be able to carry the QB position, not need the QB to carry us...$15 million for a QB that needs a supporting cast is not the way to go...You only can survive paying a QB that type of cheddar if it's Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning (Peyton), Luck....everybody else is worth less than $10 million a season...
Stay the course Snisher...I can tell from your knowledge jrry32, you know this...gotta let this regime figure out the way to right the ship...They need time....We don't need a super QB, we need a smart decision maker at QB (processes information quickly), a better running game, and a defense...I think our ST play & coaches are excellent and the best unit on the team...that's a damn shame.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
@jrry32 ...you took on a monster topic here my man....Why don't I like Cutler for us, when I actually loved his play at Denver? Really hard to explain, but his offense had Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, M. Bennent.....see where I'm going? Elite offensive weapons at every position. He has that body language thing going on...Like he doesn't give a rats azz...And he seems to fold in big moments...For that type of money, sorry, I want a bunch more...
Where do we go, what do we do? Easy, keep Sammy...Keep Davis....Never let Hill back in the building...Sign Josh Freeman or whoever Weinke worked with that he really likes...Draft Hundley...or whoever Weinke & Cig likes...See what I did there? Our team needs to get better....Esp. the o-line...we need to be able to carry the QB position, not need the QB to carry us...$15 million for a QB that needs a supporting cast is not the way to go...You only can survive paying a QB that type of cheddar if it's Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning (Peyton), Luck....everybody else is worth less than $10 million a season...
Stay the course Snisher...I can tell from your knowledge jrry32, you know this...gotta let this regime figure out the way to right the ship...They need time....We don't need a super QB, we need a smart decision maker at QB (processes information quickly), a better running game, and a defense...I think our ST play & coaches are excellent and the best unit on the team...that's a damn shame.
If the staff is confident that Sam will be ready to start the season, I would like to see Freeman as our #2. ( I'm sure I'm in the minority here).
If Freeman could get his head on straight, he'd be our best option imo. That may be a big IF, but I don't think it's impossible.
We need to bring him in, if he's ready to commit to football.
A football ready Freeman could start 16 games for us if needed. Maybe a hell of a lot more.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hell yes to Cutler.

Okay here's the deal, any of you guys saying no to Cutler - no bitching whining or moaning if Bradford goes down and we end up below .500 again.

Even the turnover machine he was last season, he still threw more TDs than INTs. With our defense?? I'm confident we can win 10 games with Cutler. HELL YES!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the carnage from Hill and Davis was the fact that they threw something like 0 TDs to 9 Ints when the Rams were tied or trailing by one score in the 4th quarter.

albundy_shock.gif

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No thanks Cutler is a tool and a loser rarely does anything if the team isn't winning he drags them down. His salary is ridiculous I'd just as soon stick with Sam. Why should Sam take a cut? Who on this board would give money back? Who here has first hand knowledge of the contract talks between Sam and the team?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes please. For a LOT of reasons that have already been listed. So sick of hearing about how Cutler is "pouty" or a "coach killer". The dudes face is naturally pouty, I honestly don't think he can help that part. I also do not think the guy is indifferent to his teammates or coaches, I just don't think he takes himself or the NFL as seriously as many wish he would (ala, RA RA Brady!!). What I DO think is that he gives us a better chance to win than anyone on this roster....and that INCLUDES A HEALTHY BRADFORD IMO. Oh, and I have been a Bradford supporter BTW. As has been mentioned already by @jrry32 , Cutler doesn't NEED to come in and set the world on fire. He just needs to come in and get us those 5 extra PPG and let our defense wreak havoc. I reaaaally like the idea of Cutler to Austin on the deep route. Even Austin would have a ought time out running that arm.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What coaches has Cutler killed exactly?
Maybe he's been stuck on teams with lousy HC?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes please. For a LOT of reasons that have already been listed. So sick of hearing about how Cutler is "pouty" or a "coach killer". The dudes face is naturally pouty, I honestly don't think he can help that part. I also do not think the guy is indifferent to his teammates or coaches, I just don't think he takes himself or the NFL as seriously as many wish he would (ala, RA RA Brady!!). What I DO think is that he gives us a better chance to win than anyone on this roster....and that INCLUDES A HEALTHY BRADFORD IMO. Oh, and I have been a Bradford supporter BTW. As has been mentioned already by @jrry32 , Cutler doesn't NEED to come in and set the world on fire. He just needs to come in and get us those 5 extra PPG and let our defense wreak havoc. I reaaaally like the idea of Cutler to Austin on the deep route. Even Austin would have a ought time out running that arm.
Good post. I agree on the pouty thing, if he was smiling all the time while they were losing? How annoying would that be? It sure is nice to see Tom Brady rah rah on a team that wins 13 games a year. And I'm fairly certain they don't win because of his rah rah

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What coaches has Cutler killed exactly?
Maybe he's been stuck on teams with lousy HC?
Yeah, I never got that BS. Cutler could fill a Jim McMahon type role for this team if the defense is able to improve even more. Not comparing the 85' Bears D to ours, just the circumstances.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guA_4AzXqh0

If we're not giving Cutler that money, we're giving it to Bradford. We can afford it for two years.

IMO, Cutler did have that IDGAF attitude over the second half of the year...but can you blame him? His OC was talking shit about him to the media and his HC had lost the locker-room. As that line from one of my favorite movies says, "Attitude reflects leadership." Jeff Fisher is one of the best player motivators in the NFL. Players love playing for him and just listen to how much Britt and Barron have praised our locker-room. I don't think Cutler's attitude would be a problem with proper leadership. Over the first 8 games of 2014, Cutler threw 17 TDs to 8 Ints and had a 95.4 QB Rating. Over the final 7 games, he had 11 TDs to 10 Ints and a 80.7 QB Rating. Well, it just so happened over the second half of the year that the rumors started flying about Trestman losing the locker-room and Kromer talking trash about him to the media. I can't say I'm surprised his attitude wasn't great in a toxic situation like that.

I think Fisher is the perfect type of coach for Cutler.

I don't expect Cutler to be elite here but I do think his attitude issues are overblown and he'd be a good fit for Fisher's coaching style.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the most important part of your argument right there. I, for one, don't want to meander around .500 because we have to play guys like Hill and Davis for extended periods of time. I also don't want to stick a green rookie in as the starter so he can waste my time for a year or two learning on the fly and possibly getting his confidence destroyed in the process. Maybe if we played in the AFC South, I'd be okay with that. But we don't.

Yes sir. Same way I feel. Roll with Cutler for two years and then bring our QB of the future in.