Jay Cutler - Would you do it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you acquire Jay Cutler?

• Yes

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Only if Bradford won't take a pay cut

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Accept he's a turnover machine, particularly in the red zone, and was surrounded with a ton of talent at skill positions - something he wouldn't have here - and he was still out played by Josh Mccown, whom no one wants to touch right now after leading his last team to the #1 overall pick.

I don't give a shit that McCown put up better numbers. We have a long track record to know what Cutler is and isn't and McCown is and isn't. McCown put up better stats than a lot of QBs that year...including Sam Bradford. It was a fluke.

Yep, he's a turnover machine. But that is what it is. From my recollection, nobody cared that Warner was a turnover machine in 2001 when the Rams were winning games.(not that Cutler deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Warner...but I don't much care if he's a turnover machine if he's the best option we have)

Whatever it takes to win.

iced

I don't give a crap that McCown put up better numbers. We have a long track record to know what Cutler is and isn't and McCown is and isn't. McCown put up better stats than a lot of QBs that year...including Sam Bradford. It was a fluke.

We have a long track record about Cutler as well - and none of his track record has disputed anything I have said.

Sure to you he might be a bridge - to me he's wasting snaps for someone else

Yep, he's a turnover machine. But that is what it is. From my recollection, nobody cared that Warner was a turnover machine in 2001 when the Rams were winning games.(not that Cutler deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Warner...but I don't much care if he's a turnover machine if he's the best option we have)

Whatever it takes to win.

except Cutler isn't 1/4 the QB that Warner is/was - he was a solution the position, Cutler isn't.

Paying a ton of cap room to a position that needs to a long term answer is not the way to go. Should tell you a lot that he's been dumped by many teams and he's still looking to be moved

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem is - the Rams need a starting caliber QB, preferably one that will be ready to start the season, and who isn't a glancing blow away from his career ending. I like Sam - when healthy he is better than Cutler especially at protecting the ball. But the Rams cannot count on him. If for only a minor upgrade in payroll they can get Cutler for two years, and have that time to develop a young QB, they should do it. He's not going to be great for the Rams, but he should do enough that teams will have to challenging the Ram defense to keep up, which is what the Rams need. He will keep other teams' defenses honest enough that the running game should improve, too. And like it or not, he is the best healthy option.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Fisher is the perfect type of coach for Cutler.

I don't expect Cutler to be elite here but I do think his attitude issues are overblown and he'd be a good fit for Fisher's coaching style.
NK0rzA0.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have a long track record about Cutler as well - and none of his track record has disputed anything I have said.

Sure to you he might be a bridge - to me he's wasting snaps for someone else

Would that be the track record where his teams have more wins than losses with him as a starter? Or his track record with the 85.2 Career QB Rating? Or the track record where he's averaged 25 TDs to 16 Ints per 16 games as a starter?

Because that track record is superior to any QB on this roster. So whose snaps are he wasting? Because I'm not exactly going to be upset seeing Cutler taking snaps over the Shaun Hills', Austin Davis', and Kellen Clemens' of the world.

except Cutler isn't 1/4 the QB that Warner is/was - he was a solution the position, Cutler isn't.

Paying a ton of cap room to a position that needs to a long term answer is not the way to go. Should tell you a lot that he's been dumped by many teams and he's still looking to be moved

He's been dumped by "many" teams? That's one I haven't heard. You mean he was traded for two first round picks and Kyle Orton by his original team and now his second team is looking to move him. That's two teams in 9 years. And one of them "dumped" him for two first round picks and a starting caliber QB.

As for your Warner comment, I put the disclaimer up so you wouldn't make the comment you did in order to avoid addressing the point I made. And you still did it. Warner was a turnover machine. Nobody cared because the team won.

Same is true of Cutler. If this team wins 10-11 games with him next year, nobody will care if he's a turnover machine. He doesn't have to be Warner good for that to be true.

We're going to be paying a ton of cap room to that position either ways...so this argument doesn't work for me. It's either pay Sam and risk injury or pay Cutler and risk turnovers.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Would that be the track record where his teams have more wins than losses with him as a starter? Or his track record with the 85.2 Career QB Rating? Or the track record where he's averaged 25 TDs to 16 Ints per 16 games as a starter?

Because that track record is superior to any QB on this roster. So whose snaps are he wasting? Because I'm not exactly going to be upset seeing Cutler taking snaps over the Shaun Hills', Austin Davis', and Kellen Clemens' of the world.

He's been dumped by "many" teams? That's one I haven't heard. You mean he was traded for two first round picks and Kyle Orton by his original team and now his second team is looking to move him. That's two teams in 9 years. And one of them "dumped" him for two first round picks and a starting caliber QB.

As for your Warner comment, I put the disclaimer up so you wouldn't make the comment you did in order to avoid addressing the point I made. And you still did it. Warner was a turnover machine. Nobody cared because the team won.

Same is true of Cutler. If this team wins 10-11 games with him next year, nobody will care if he's a turnover machine. He doesn't have to be Warner good for that to be true.

We're going to be paying a ton of cap room to that position either ways...so this argument doesn't work for me. It's either pay Sam and risk injury or pay Cutler and risk turnovers.

Fully agree, unless we get a QB in the first 2 rounds (and not even sure about anyone taken in the 2nd round) he is taking snaps from no one. We don't know what will happen but I know my concern is paying Sam $13 mil for 3 games verse paying Cutler $16mil for 15-16. Does Cutler turn the ball over, yes but not nearly as bad as people make it out. His rate is not horrible, it isn't elite, but we are NOT going to get elite.

I will say Warner was not a "turnover machine" in 2001, considering how many times he threw the ball the number of interceptions weren't out of line. But that would be another topic :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will say Warner was not a "turnover machine" in 2001, considering how many times he threw the ball the number of interceptions weren't out of line. But that would be another topic :p

I think the world of Kurt but he turned it over 26 times in 2001. Cutler turned it over 24 times last year. I'd call both guys turnover machines. But as I said, if you can put the ball in the end-zone enough...I can overlook it.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'd like Cutler if Sam's not going to do a prove it/ incentive laden contract this year! Thinking Cutler's able to get the team over the hump!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I try not to get caught up in these Cutler threads because I know he's not going to be a Ram.
And then I get sucked in with jrry making all kinds of mad sense.
I think the Bears have to move him before the 10th or they have to pay him 10 mill?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I try not to get caught up in these Cutler threads because I know he's not going to be a Ram.
And then I get sucked in with jrry making all kinds of mad sense.
I think the Bears have to move him before the 10th or they have to pay him 10 mill?

Sort of. If they're going to cut him, they have to take that decision by the 10th or else $10 million in 2016 becomes guaranteed. So they more or less have to make their decision on him soon. If they're going to trade him, they can take a bit longer but if they decide to move on, I doubt they're going to want to wait unless they are deep in talks because if the talks fall through, they're more or less stuck with him in 2016.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
For those of you saying Bradford is better than Cutler when healthy. Just curious what you base that on. As much ad I like Sam, he has never been as productive as Cutler. They really aren't in the same conversation to me until Sam actually plays well consistently.