Jason Michael, Titans OC headed to Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
I will know without question that the Horns are serious in Mad Mike is summoned.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I found this pic from his days coaching in college.

minnesota-coach-eating-a-dilly-bar-in-snow.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jason Michael is in his 10th season in the NFL and his second season as offensive coordinator with the Titans. He joined the Titans coaching staff following three seasons (2011-2013) as the tight ends coach for the San Diego Chargers.

Last season for the Titans, Michael saw injuries at a number of key positions and franchise-best numbers from two players. TE Delanie Walker set a franchise mark for receiving yards by a tight end with 890 and the best reception total of his career. Rookie QB Zach Mettenberger earned a number of highs during the season, including the rookie franchise mark for passing yards in a game (345 at Philadelphia), the highest franchise passer rating for a rookie season (83.4), highest passing yardage total by any rookie on Monday Night Football (263) and the second-highest passer rating among the 2014 rookie class of quarterbacks. Michael and the Titans offense saw a total of four different quarterbacks and seven different offensive tackles take snaps during the season, due to injuries.

In his final year with the Chargers, Michael worked under the direction of current Titans head coach Ken Whisenhunt, then the offensive coordinator for the Chargers. Through his work with TE Antonio Gates, who led the Chargers in receptions (77) in 2013, and with tight end Ladarius Green, who posted 22.1-yards per catch, Michael helped the Chargers offense rank fifth in the league. In his three years working with the tight ends in San Diego, he guided Gates to the fourth most receptions (190) among NFL tight ends over that three-year timespan, while totaling 2,188 yards and 18 touchdowns.

In 2011, his first year with the Chargers, he delved into an offensive system that would rank sixth in the league, and Gates led the team with 64 catches.

Prior to joining the Chargers, he spent two seasons (2009-10) with the San Francisco 49ers as an offensive assistant and then quarterbacks coach. In 2010, his trio of quarterbacks passed for more than 3,600 yards and 19 touchdowns combined.

Michael began his coaching career at the University of Tennessee in 2003, where he worked as a graduate assistant with the secondary and special teams for two seasons. His NFL debut came with the Oakland Raiders in 2005 as a quality control coach. He spent the following season as the offensive quality control coach for the New York Jets in 2006 and assisted coaching the quarterbacks in Chad Pennington’s Comeback Player of the Year season. He was promoted to tight ends coach in 2007 with the Jets before returning to the University of Tennessee as the tight ends coach in Phillip Fulmer’s final season in 2008.

As a college player, Michael was a two-time captain, who as a senior quarterbacked Western Kentucky to the 2002 NCAA I-AA championship; and was named the school’s Male Athlete of the Year. Graduating with a degree in civil engineering technology, Michael was named a I-AA Athletic Directors Academic All-Star and a second-team Verizon Academic All-District IV honoree.

A native of Louisa, Ky., Michael and his wife, Jamie, originally from Knoxville, have one son, Wyatt.

Jason Michael Coaching Ledger

2014-15: Offensive Coordinator, Tennessee Titans
2011-13: Tight Ends, San Diego Chargers
2010: Quarterbacks, San Francisco 49ers
2009-10: Offensive Assistant, San Francisco 49ers
2008: Tight Ends, University of Tennessee
2007: Tight Ends, New York Jets
2006: Quality Control, Quarterbacks, New York Jets
2005: Quality Control, Oakland Raiders
2003-04: Graduate Assistant, University of Tennessee

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Michael_Jason/9ee7985d-6a83-450c-ae40-c904f104ee79

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Haha! Yeah, I changed my op when I realized I got it wrong.

It was still awesome didn't know you could eat ice cream on the sidelines, must be only if you're calorically challenged.

jap

Legend
Mad Mike needs to get involved if only to pass on the most aggressive version of Coryelle's offensive scheme. It's only right that the passing of the torch occurs in Horns land.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He did a really nice job with Delanie Walker, and seems to have impact history with good TEs. I'm guessin new TE coach.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Titans coordinator Jason Michael puts mark on playbook
John Glennon, jglennon@tennessean.comJun 18, 2014
Facebook
  • Charlie Whitehurst talked X's and O's at length with all kinds of players and coaches during his two years with the Chargers.

One of the minds that impressed him most belonged to the tight ends coach, a young man named Jason Michael. Whitehurst and starter Philip Rivers would "bounce things off of him" at times.

"I just thought he had an extremely bright football mind," said Whitehurst, now with the Titans. "We both thought it was just a matter of time before he was a coordinator."

That time is now for the 35-year-old Michael. He was named Titans offensive coordinator in January even though two other members of the staff — running backs coach Sylvester Croom and tight ends coach Mike Mularkey — have experience as NFL coordinators.

DAVID CLIMER: What is rookie Bishop Sankey's role in new offense?

Unlike past Titans offensive coordinators, however, Michael won't be the play-caller, a responsibility that head coach Ken Whisenhunt will hold.

But Michael's influence will be seen in the playbook, and on game days he will be in constant communication with Whisenhunt when the Titans have the ball.

JIM WYATT: Jake Locker continues to impress as minicamp begins

"I'll be on the other end of the headset," said Michael, who expects to work from the coaches' booth. "There will be situations where I might be saying, 'Hey, Coach, they're in this personnel grouping, so these are some things we can do,' or he might say, 'Hey, Jason, in the red zone, what do you like?'

"I'll also be a sounding board for him in between series. I can say, 'They're playing this coverage or this front, so these runs are good — or these routes,' whatever it may be. It's just so that you can make adjustments from series to series as the game changes."

nas-sigtitans0618-015.jpg

George Walker IV / THE TENNESSEAN

Titans backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst throws a pass during practice more

Whisenhunt isn't the only NFL head coach calling plays — Jay Gruden, Asshole Face and Andy Reid are some others — and Michael doesn't sound like he feels slighted by the situation.

After all, Whisenhunt spent four years as an offensive coordinator, including last season with the Chargers, and is beginning his seventh season as a head coach.

"My time will come, too. I know that. At some point, I'll have that opportunity," Michael said of calling plays. "But I think last year, the staff we had and the relationships we had really created a successful environment. … So we tried to emulate a lot of that here, from how we put the staff together to how we run the meetings. Those things have proven to be right, so why change them?"

If a varied background helps produce a quality offensive coordinator, Michael should be in good shape.

He played quarterback at Western Kentucky, served as a secondary and special teams assistant coach at the University of Tennessee, coached quarterbacks for the 49ers, and coached tight ends for the Jets and Chargers.

Michael, like Whisenhunt, believes that serving as a tight ends coach can be beneficial for a future coordinator or head coach because he has to become familiar with all parts of the offense.
    • 1403031213004-NAS-SIG-TITANS-0618-005.JPG
    • 1403031213000-NAS-SIG-TITANS-0618-001.JPG
    615-259-8262and on Twitter @glennonsports

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...ey-setting-up-titans-coaching-staff/78897068/

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Looks like a young, up and coming guy.

We all saw Delanie Walker's season.
Let's hope he pushes for 6'6" Hunter Henry in the draft and turns him into a stud.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This sucks. We don't give DeFilippo the OC job he deserves, we give it to Boras, and now he doesn't even get hired because Fisher can hire another fucking Titans coach. Fucking sucks.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thats Minnesota for ya , it's raining and snowing , and the guy is eating icecream ,(y)

Didn't even think of that...Good point they're tough like the people from Iowa!