Jared Goff vs other QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yes, it's another Goff thread. Sue me bitches.

I figured we could take the time to really compare Goffs rookie season thus far to other successful QBs in NFL history.

The most notable one is Eli Manning. You know, that two time Super Bowl Champion iron man.

His rookie season: 2-7
95/197 1043 yards 6 TDs 9 INT 55.4 QB rating

Yuck. Those are some bad numbers.

But Manning took the time to work and get better. And 3 years later he won a Super Bowl.

Another guy is Matt Stafford.

His rookie season: 2-8

201/377 2267 yards 13 TDs 20 INTs 61.0 QB rating

And now he's one of the best QBs in the league with 5 seasons straight of 4000 yards and have brought Detroit out of the deep dark hole they were stuck in for an eternity.

There's many more examples like Alex Smith, Terry Bradshaw(6-24 TD/INT ratio!!!!).

Hell, Troy Aikman might be the best example. Dude went 0-11 his first season.

So if you have concerns about Goff, that's fine. But don't be surprised when he lights it up next season. And trust me, I'll be here to remind you.

Discuss.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I'm not worried about Jared Goff. The dude has all the physical tools to be a successful QB in this league. What makes him special are the things you CAN'T teach: footwork, work ethic and mental toughness. I think the biggest gripe people have with him is totally out of his hands...and that gripe is that he's not performing like other rookie QB's are this season.

He's learning on the job and will have his fair share of growing pains, that's to be expected. Give the kid some time, let him make his mistakes early and learn from them. Remember that he wasn't even given a full season worth of work...he was put in at garbage time where he COULD make those mistakes. We were out of playoff contention at that point anyway. And let me say that I'm not using that as an excuse for him to play like crap, I'm just saying that I believe he would be playing a little differently had he started at the beginning of the season with a clean slate.

We've seen a ton of great quarterbacks start off slow and eventually become a household name. We have to exercise patience with Goff. I think he'll turn out alright. Here's to hoping we surround him with the people (players, coaches) to help him get there sooner rather than later.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The biggest issue for Goff won't be Goff. It'll be that he'll have the shackles of this broken scheme removed.

Putting Goff into a functioning offensive scheme will be the single biggest thing to improve his performance and that's about to happen.

And, yes, many are down on him because they a) didn't take note of the broken scheme before so b) they can't seem to not make the failure personal, so either it's Goff or Gurley or the WRs (who haven't been good) or the OL or whomever.

But, yes. Goff will be significantly better.

Not by magic. Yes, by hard work..., but ONLY because that hard work will be in a new scheme. He'd still look awful if Fisher was still here. Thankfully, Fisher has been relegated to flinging poo on radio.

TXRams86

The Infamous
The biggest issue for Goff won't be Goff. It'll be that he'll have the shackles of this broken scheme removed.

Putting Goff into a functioning offensive scheme will be the single biggest thing to improve his performance and that's about to happen.

And, yes, many are down on him because they a) didn't take note of the broken scheme before so b) they can't seem to not make the failure personal, so either it's Goff or Gurley or the WRs (who haven't been good) or the OL or whomever.

But, yes. Goff will be significantly better.

Not by magic. Yes, by hard work..., but ONLY because that hard work will be in a new scheme. He'd still look awful if Fisher was still here. Thankfully, Fisher has been relegated to flinging poo on radio.

I completely agree with what you're saying. When we drafted Goff, I was more concerned about Goff growing in our sorry excuse of an offensive system. I wasn't concerned about Goff himself. Regardless of which QB we drafted this season, I can confidently say that they would have just as difficult a time.

People really seem to downplay the importance of having a fitting and functional offensive system. The "system" we were running would destroy even the greatest of QB's.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes, it's another Goff thread. Sue me bitches.

I figured we could take the time to really compare Goffs rookie season thus far to other successful QBs in NFL history.

The most notable one is Eli Manning. You know, that two time Super Bowl Champion iron man.

His rookie season: 2-7
95/197 1043 yards 6 TDs 9 INT 55.4 QB rating

Yuck. Those are some bad numbers.

But Manning took the time to work and get better. And 3 years later he won a Super Bowl.

Another guy is Matt Stafford.

His rookie season: 2-8

201/377 2267 yards 13 TDs 20 INTs 61.0 QB rating

And now he's one of the best QBs in the league with 5 seasons straight of 4000 yards and have brought Detroit out of the deep dark hole they were stuck in for an eternity.

There's many more examples like Alex Smith, Terry Bradshaw(6-24 TD/INT ratio!!!!).

Hell, Troy Aikman might be the best example. Dude went 0-11 his first season.

So if you have concerns about Goff, that's fine. But don't be surprised when he lights it up next season. And trust me, I'll be here to remind you.

Discuss.
I have no problem with Goff. He could easily have a couple Wins under his belt right now If it where not for dropped passes and poor O-Line protection! Not to mention The Offensive Play Calling!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great Thread, still waiting for Goff's first victory!

FRO

Legend
Goff has talent. Goff has flashed that talent at times. Goff's supporting cast and coaching aren't good. That being said Goff himself hasn't played great on the whole. He is a rookie and rookies can take time. RGIII exploded out of the gate and sucked. Others have started slow and have been good. Judging Goff one way or another off of half a season is stupid. He needs to improve though. I was very disappointed in his game against the horrible 49ers. The future success of the Rams are directly tied to Goff.

As to comparing Goff to other picks, when did the rule changes occur that made it easier for offenses? I honestly don't know when the change took place and I think that would have a lot to do with the early success for some rookie QBs.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I have no problem with Goff. He could easily have a couple Wins under his belt right now If it where not for dropped passes and poor O-Line protection! Not to mention The Offensive Play Calling!
The play calling is so bad that I'd like to see headsets collectively file a restraining order against Boras that keeps him at least 500 feet away from them at all times.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You forgot to mention the d giving up double digit leads in the last 5 minutes in two games.

A55VA6

Legend
I've seen things from Goff that make me believe in him. Put some good pieces around him and he'll shine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice post OP and it comes down to what many have been saying. Keep going, too. Look at Manning, Elway, Young, Bradshaw, etc., etc., etc. First season doesn't provide any real indication of what a guy will be.

Fans love that quick judgment, but we're gonna have to wait and see what he grows into. And remember the dude was 21 his rookie season, he's got plenty of growing to do.

I have zero concern with him or Gurley for that matter. Let's get a good offensive mind in here, fix the OL, and add a top wideout in FA.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Fans love that quick judgment.......

Cannot stand it.

If I had a nickel for every fan draft choice, move a tackle to guard and knee jerk snap judgement on HC or QB, I'd have more cash than Warren Buffett..

Pardon my crankiness but I'm finding the board a bit repetitive tonight.

Time for me to sign off.

Scirca

Rookie
I'm not worried about Jared Goff. The dude has all the physical tools to be a successful QB in this league. What makes him special are the things you CAN'T teach: footwork, work ethic and mental toughness. I think the biggest gripe people have with him is totally out of his hands...and that gripe is that he's not performing like other rookie QB's are this season.

He's learning on the job and will have his fair share of growing pains, that's to be expected. Give the kid some time, let him make his mistakes early and learn from them. Remember that he wasn't even given a full season worth of work...he was put in at garbage time where he COULD make those mistakes. We were out of playoff contention at that point anyway. And let me say that I'm not using that as an excuse for him to play like crap, I'm just saying that I believe he would be playing a little differently had he started at the beginning of the season with a clean slate.

We've seen a ton of great quarterbacks start off slow and eventually become a household name. We have to exercise patience with Goff. I think he'll turn out alright. Here's to hoping we surround him with the people (players, coaches) to help him get there sooner rather than later.

This is Jared Goff's first interception against the 49ers. Lets analyze it:

Positives: Goff made the right read. Tough throw. Accurate throw.
Negative: A little late on his throw.

The interception wasn't solely Goff's fault though as evident in these pictures. Britt opening up his shoulder also helped cause that interception.

@jrry32 @Dxmissile @den-the-coach @dieterbrock@DaveFan'51 @Legatron4@FRO @Mackeyser@Merlin

Here is Goff making the right read.
21j7gcz.jpg

Here is Britt boxing out the corner. (two different angles)
2rejwy8.jpg

qsnwid.jpg

Here is him opening up into his inside shoulder.
dc781k.jpg

And we all agree that last interception was just garbage route running by Brian Quick.

The point that I'm trying to make is that whatever the circumstance is, it's not always as bad as it may look. For example, these angles are not seen on television but can be seen on film (coaches film) and it doesn't look as god awful as it looked live. I think we should hold off this bust idea and think that even with a garbage offensive line, and terrible wide receivers, he's still making the right reads.

Edit: Watching this game on coaches film, you have no real idea on how garbage these Wide receivers are until you watch them on coaches film. They get almost no separation at all this game.

Edit: Due to how late the ball was, KENNY BRITT wasn't at fault. Because no matter what, if he opened his hips or not, the ball would have still gotten picked off because of the angle the Cornerback too.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is Jared Goff's first interception against the 49ers. Lets analyze it:

Positives: Goff made the right read. Tough throw. Accurate throw.
Negative: A little late on his throw.

The interception wasn't solely Goff's fault though as evident in these pictures. Britt opening up his shoulder also helped cause that interception.

@jrry32 @Dxmissile @den-the-coach @dieterbrock@DaveFan'51 @Legatron4@FRO @Mackeyser@Merlin

Here is Goff making the right read.
21j7gcz.jpg

Here is Britt boxing out the corner. (two different angles)
2rejwy8.jpg

qsnwid.jpg

Here is him opening up into his inside shoulder.
dc781k.jpg

And we all agree that last interception was just garbage route running by Brian Quick.

The point that I'm trying to make is that whatever the circumstance is, it's not always as bad as it may look. For example, these angles are not seen on television but can be seen on film (coaches film) and it doesn't look as god awful as it looked live. I think we should hold off this bust idea and think that even with a garbage offensive line, and terrible wide receivers, he's still making the right reads.

Edit: Watching this game on coaches film, you have no real idea on how garbage these Wide receivers are until you watch them on coaches film. They get almost no separation at all this game.

The first interception is definitely on Goff. It wasn't an accurate throw. There isn't a great throwing lane there. What he needs to do is loft the ball over the 49er LBs towards the center of the field. That would allow Britt to run to the ball. He threw it behind Britt which allowed the CB to under-cut it.

He'll learn.

Scirca

Rookie
The first interception is definitely on Goff. It wasn't an accurate throw. There isn't a great throwing lane there. What he needs to do is loft the ball over the 49er LBs towards the center of the field. That would allow Britt to run to the ball. He threw it behind Britt which allowed the CB to under-cut it.

He'll learn.

Nevermind you're right. It was a late throw by Goff. Due to how late the ball was, KENNY BRITT wasn't at fault. Because no matter what, if he opened his hips or not, the ball would have still gotten picked off because of the angle the Cornerback too.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know what the think of Goff at this point. Everything around him is so terrible its impossible to judge him correctly. He has to do things QB's wouldn't have to do under normal circumstances.