Jared Goff vs other QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have to keep in mind that NFL teams know far more about the drafts in later years than we do. The Rams had done their homework. They knew that the 2017 Draft wasn't a strong draft for QBs. It made perfect sense to target the 2016 Draft because a bunch of random events came together to work in our favor.(the team picking #1 overall didn't need a QB, there was a #1 overall caliber QB, we needed a QB, we had an extra pick from the Bradford trade, etc.)
I agree it looks like the 18th draft would have been the best time but I understand we had to make a move

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping you right I know the physical tools are there but will he ever be a QB that can completely change the game not just with his arms but with his mind too. I worry about that because he didn't play long in college and he never had to do any of the things that pro was have to do at the line. I worry about how long will it take for him to get it down especially now since he has to learn a new system next year.. or hopefully he does
Wasn't Bradford physically talented? Prime Time posted about how badly Brady was criticized before the draft.

I'm not counting on physical attributes anymore.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah. That throw gave me a half chub. There's about 5 QBs who can put that ball on a line from 60 yards out. Jared Goff, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford and Aaron Rodgers.
I'd add in Kap, although he would have no idea where it was going.

fearsomefour

Legend
@Florida_Ram @Legatron4 @jrry32 @Dxmissile @den-the-coach @Ram_Rally @fearsomefour@-X-

I don't know why people keep questioning his arm strength. He throws laser beams which sometimes causes his wide receivers to drop passes.

From the saints game, he threw a 57 yard throw. Opponent -35 to his 8 EFFORTLESSLY.
source.gif
I don't doubt his arm strength at all. There have been throws going back to the preseason that would lay any arm strength concerns to rest. The ball can sail due to lack of arm strength, but, that is not what I was saying with Goff. Working with throwers in another sport, the ball sails generally due to footwork issues or dropping the elbow in the throwing motion.
Arm strength is of no concern to me but he is inaccurate at this point. Just wondering what thoughts were regarding this.....he is late in a lot of throws or is it a technique issue.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
@Florida_Ram @Legatron4 @jrry32 @Dxmissile @den-the-coach @Ram_Rally @fearsomefour@-X-

I don't know why people keep questioning his arm strength. He throws laser beams which sometimes causes his wide receivers to drop passes.

From the saints game, he threw a 57 yard throw. Opponent -35 to his 8 EFFORTLESSLY.

My opinion of his throws wouldn't be in the laser-beam category but having seen every pass he's ever thrown since college and as a professional, the zip on his throws are well above average. If he's coached up correctly he can probably add a little more velocity to some of his throws.

Some of his launches depending on which area of the field/angles that he's targeting such as deep out patterns don't appear to be in the upper echelon of NFL quarterbacks.. Just what my eyes tell me, doesn't mean I'm the QB guru.

The 2 best deep ball opportunities he's had were to Kenny Britt vs the Patriots and he didn't put as much zip on that one as he should've for what ever reason. The second one to Mike Thomas vs Seattle (even though it was dropped) again didn't have enough zip on the toss imo..

Most everyone knows that the timing/anticipation of when a quarterback launches/throws a pass can (compensate the areas in arm strength that he lacks) which was one of the best assets Joe Montana had and the quarterback I still think JG reminds me the most of. I do think he's a taller version with a stronger arm but needs some top flight coaching to get the best results from his natural talent.

Anyway back to your point.. JG has a better arm than many might think based on his 6 game sample size at the NFL level but at the same time he needs professional coaching to refine his Bear Raid Spread mechanics. If the Rams don't hire the right HC he could end up being a 3 or 4 year project and that will be a big blow to this franchise.

320x.jpg

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
You have to keep in mind that NFL teams know far more about the drafts in later years than we do. The Rams had done their homework. They knew that the 2017 Draft wasn't a strong draft for QBs. It made perfect sense to target the 2016 Draft

arrow-blue-rounded-up160.jpg

16J_Bingo2.jpg

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if you have concerns about Goff, that's fine. But don't be surprised when he lights it up next season. And trust me, I'll be here to remind you.
I’m here to remind you. Jared Goff is a STUD.