Jared Goff vs other QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nope. Has more arm strength than some of the top QBs in the NFL, including Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.
I agree with that. Kid throws strikes.
What worries *me* is his scattershot accuracy, but that's likely just rookie yips.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
The biggest issue for Goff won't be Goff. It'll be that he'll have the shackles of this broken scheme removed.

Putting Goff into a functioning offensive scheme will be the single biggest thing to improve his performance and that's about to happen.

And, yes, many are down on him because they a) didn't take note of the broken scheme before so b) they can't seem to not make the failure personal, so either it's Goff or Gurley or the WRs (who haven't been good) or the OL or whomever.

But, yes. Goff will be significantly better.

Not by magic. Yes, by hard work..., but ONLY because that hard work will be in a new scheme. He'd still look awful if Fisher was still here. Thankfully, Fisher has been relegated to flinging poo on radio.
AMEN!! Everyone looks bad in this scheme!!! Needs some creative and experienced new coaches!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope. Has more arm strength than some of the top QBs in the NFL, including Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.
you think so? They seem to lack some zip to me but I'm certainly no expert

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet the ball sales on him quite a bit.....is this caused by his footwork or is he dropping his elbow?

Likely footwork. I'd have to look specifically for it to know for sure. But he's been rushing things a bit. Which is normal for rookie QBs.(especially ones with poor protection)

Scirca

Rookie
you think so? They seem to lack some zip to me but I'm certainly no expert

Likely footwork. I'd have to look specifically for it to know for sure. But he's been rushing things a bit. Which is normal for rookie QBs.(especially ones with poor protection)

Yet the ball sales on him quite a bit.....is this caused by his footwork or is he dropping his elbow?

@Florida_Ram @Legatron4 @jrry32 @Dxmissile @den-the-coach @Ram_Rally @fearsomefour@-X-

I don't know why people keep questioning his arm strength. He throws laser beams which sometimes causes his wide receivers to drop passes.

From the saints game, he threw a 57 yard throw. Opponent -35 to his 8 EFFORTLESSLY.
source.gif

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. That throw gave me a half chub. There's about 5 QBs who can put that ball on a line from 60 yards out. Jared Goff, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford and Aaron Rodgers.
Oh and probably Andrew Luck. Pretty good company though.

Scirca

Rookie
Goff definitely have skills it's just that for a trade up number 1 it's go be years before we see it imho. I don't have a problem with Goff I have a problem that we traded up for him. If we had the number 1 pick then take him but we traded for a QB that needs a lot of work in a pro system

He's the most talented Qb in the draft. Better arm strength than Prescott, Wentz,Cook, only Paxton Lynch has a better arm than him. He's more accurate than all of them.

The problem that Goff is having is that he is forced to speed up everything in his mind. This is what is likely going through his mind "I have to process all the information given: are the wide receivers open--how much separation--how fast can the defender close on him, are they running the right route, is this a timing route, how long can the offensive line hold up, do I need to find a throwing lane.. etc." Once the game slows down for him, everything will click, and we will be a super bowl contender every year.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's the most talented Qb in the draft. Better arm strength than Prescott, Wentz,Cook, only Paxton Lynch has a better arm than him. He's more accurate than all of them.

The problem that Goff is having is that he is forced to speed up everything in his mind. This is what is likely that's going through his mind "I have to process all the information given: are the wide receivers open--how much separation--how fast can the defender close on him, are they running the right route, is this a timing route, how long can the offensive line hold up, do I need to find a throwing lane.. etc. Once the game slows down for him, everything will click, and we will be a super bowl contender every year.
I'm hoping you right I know the physical tools are there but will he ever be a QB that can completely change the game not just with his arms but with his mind too. I worry about that because he didn't play long in college and he never had to do any of the things that pro was have to do at the line. I worry about how long will it take for him to get it down especially now since he has to learn a new system next year.. or hopefully he does

Scirca

Rookie
I'm hoping you right I know the physical tools are there but will he ever be a QB that can completely change the game not just with his arms but with his mind too. I worry about that because he didn't play long in college and he never had to do any of the things that pro was have to do at the line. I worry about how long will it take for him to get it down especially now since he has to learn a new system next year.. or hopefully he does

I think he has the right attitude and that's really important. I'm sure with the work ethic he has, he will be successful. His receiving core is my concern because Goff is a rhythm type of player. Once he gets a completion, he starts taking your soul (think Big Ben), but these wide receiver make untimely mistakes which reset him everytime and ends up pissing me off.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he has the right attitude and that's really important. I'm sure with the work ethic he has, he will be successful. His receiving core is my concern because Goff is a rhythm type of player. Once he gets a completion, he starts taking your soul (think Big Ben), but these wide receiver make untimely mistakes which reset him everytime and ends up pissing me off.
Right now he is more of a Rythm passer but I think the offensive line is more of a problem Then receivers at the moment. I want Goff to be everything you and @jrry32 are telling me he is. Cause that just means 18 yrs of bad football is behind us

Scirca

Rookie
Right now he is more of a Rythm passer but I think the offensive line is more of a problem Then receivers at the moment. I want Goff to be everything you and @jrry32 are telling me he is. Cause that just means 18 yrs of bad football is behind us

Jon Gruden words to Goff,

"If there's one thing I want you to write down today," Gruden told Goff on the show, "it's this right here: 1-11. I want you to keep that with you forever. I think it's going to push you through some of the dark times. Somebody's going to draft you early, and you know why they're picking early? Because they're probably 1-11. They're probably going through a similar-type situation that you were in at Cal. They might not win the Super Bowl the next year. It might not be the second year. But it's going to take somebody that has been through it that can lead a team out of the darkness."

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jon Gruden words to Goff,

"If there's one thing I want you to write down today," Gruden told Goff on the show, "it's this right here: 1-11. I want you to keep that with you forever. I think it's going to push you through some of the dark times. Somebody's going to draft you early, and you know why they're picking early? Because they're probably 1-11. They're probably going through a similar-type situation that you were in at Cal. They might not win the Super Bowl the next year. It might not be the second year. But it's going to take somebody that has been through it that can lead a team out of the darkness."
I thought about that too.. a lot of things he been through especially losing makes him tough and I like that but college and pro is totally different in college it takes 1 season in the pros it could be 3 how can he handle not seeing success if it takes that long

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. That throw gave me a half chub. There's about 5 QBs who can put that ball on a line from 60 yards out. Jared Goff, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford and Aaron Rodgers.
Sean Mannion

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff definitely have skills it's just that for a trade up number 1 it's go be years before we see it imho. I don't have a problem with Goff I have a problem that we traded up for him. If we had the number 1 pick then take him but we traded for a QB that needs a lot of work in a pro system
Not disagreeing with you here, but if you don't have a QB then you aren't going to win anything. The Rams realized this, made a move that they had to IMO and i applaud them for it, regardless of what Goff becomes.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not disagreeing with you here, but if you don't have a QB then you aren't going to win anything. The Rams realized this, made a move that they had to IMO and i applaud them for it, regardless of what Goff becomes.
I agree. But this team lost a lot in the offseason talent wise just don't think you go for a QB in that particular year but with the move to LA they made that choice..I'm going with Goff until other wise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. But this team lost a lot in the offseason talent wise just don't think you go for a QB in that particular year but with the move to LA they made that choice..I'm going with Goff until other wise.

You have to keep in mind that NFL teams know far more about the drafts in later years than we do. The Rams had done their homework. They knew that the 2017 Draft wasn't a strong draft for QBs. It made perfect sense to target the 2016 Draft because a bunch of random events came together to work in our favor.(the team picking #1 overall didn't need a QB, there was a #1 overall caliber QB, we needed a QB, we had an extra pick from the Bradford trade, etc.)

Scirca

Rookie
I thought about that too.. a lot of things he been through especially losing makes him tough and I like that but college and pro is totally different in college it takes 1 season in the pros it could be 3 how can he handle not seeing success if it takes that long

You have to keep in mind that NFL teams know far more about the drafts in later years than we do. The Rams had done their homework. They knew that the 2017 Draft wasn't a strong draft for QBs. It made perfect sense to target the 2016 Draft because a bunch of random events came together to work in our favor.(the team picking #1 overall didn't need a QB, there was a #1 overall caliber QB, we needed a QB, we had an extra pick from the Bradford trade, etc.)

Another gem that is not being mentioned, and should be mentioned. As a matter of fact, Mel Kiper Jr said that Jared Goff is the best at moving in the pocket that he has ever seen—and that includes current NFL and Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

Source:http://www.espn.com/espnradio/losangeles/play/_/id/15273234 @ 4:00 minutes.

@jrry32 @Dxmissile sle @Legatron4 @den-the-coach @Mackeyser @DaveFan'51 @-X- @Mojo Ram

Guys, listen to the source mentioned above. From 4 minutes on. You're mind will be blown.

Last edited: