Jared Goff faceplants in preseason finale (NFL.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
My main gripe is that we went all in for Goff, just to sit and learn for a year. He was the best pick out of a bad draft year for qbs, and from reports I'm hearing this coming draft is going to be stacked with qbs (if they continue to play as good as they have). So we could have played it safe and kept our picks, stuck with keenum which we are doing anyway, and drafted a qb just as talented if not a little more or less this coming draft. The way our depth is looking right now and how our offense is playing, we could definetly use some of those picks back for next year. To me going all in on Goff is like spending almost all your money on a bad ass paint job for your project car before fixing the engine.

This is logic.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Quote by fancents 86:
My main gripe is that we went all in for Goff, just to sit and learn for a year. He was the best pick out of a bad draft year for qbs, and from reports I'm hearing this coming draft is going to be stacked with qbs (if they continue to play as good as they have). So we could have played it safe and kept our picks, stuck with keenum which we are doing anyway, and drafted a qb just as talented if not a little more or less this coming draft. The way our depth is looking right now and how our offense is playing, we could definetly use some of those picks back for next year. To me going all in on Goff is like spending almost all your money on a bad ass paint job for your project car before fixing the engine.

This is logic.

No, it's an assumption based upon a larger assumption based upon an even larger assumption. Capped by a backwards simile.

Assumption A [Biggest Assumption]: This coming draft is going to be stacked with QBs.
- From all the reports I've read, there's Watson, and there's the mediocre rest of the field, and Watson has his own litany of questionmarks. I believe this assumption is highly highly questionable, however...
- If this Assumption is correct:

Assumption B [Pretty Big Assumption]: We can grab a QB with our pick (or even a trade up)
- Every year, there are several teams in need of QBs, and these teams tend to draft early
- Other such teams will be looking to trade up to secure their guy
- This past draft, we were lucky that Tennessee had their guy already, and thus were amenable to a trade
- Our record with Keenum likely won't put us at the top of the draft, but in the middle, once again
- All this considered, we need to be in position to grab one of these excellent QBs, and will either need to trade up, or flat-out suck this year
- If this Assumption is correct, though...

Assumption C [Big Assumption]: That QB is as good/better/only a little worse than Jared Goff
- Goff has highly touted intangibles, and several traits that stand out visibly on the field: poise in the pocket, size, arm talent, accuracy, footwork
- While he hasn't reached his potential in any of those areas, most of it has already showed up in preseason, and all of it is there on his college tape
- Every QB is a crapshoot, and the tools have to come together, the gap has to be bridged, the process has to work, etc.
If this assumption, in addition to the other assumptions is correct, then this point is right. If any of these assumptions is not correct, this point is moot and this line of thinking leaves us without a solid QB option.

And on top of all that, going with the car analogy, I would say the QB is much closer to being the engine that makes the car work. Spending big on a powerful and reliable engine is exactly what you want to do. (This is my assumption, since I'm not a car guy. Regardless, the QB is the most important piece, and that's what you want to get right, cost-be-damned).

Edit: To include fancents86 post.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This is logic.
Nope, this is some of the snarky hindsight that @Mojo Ram mentioned earlier. Think about that for a second. Hindsight after 4 PRESEASON games and a month of training camp!!!???!!!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's going to be a very long season for some in this thread. :football:

fancents86

Starter
Quote by fancents 86:

No, it's an assumption based upon a larger assumption based upon an even larger assumption. Capped by a backwards simile.

Assumption A [Biggest Assumption]: This coming draft is going to be stacked with QBs.
- From all the reports I've read, there's Watson, and there's the mediocre rest of the field, and Watson has his own litany of questionmarks. I believe this assumption is highly highly questionable, however...
- If this Assumption is correct:

Assumption B [Pretty Big Assumption]: We can grab a QB with our pick (or even a trade up)
- Every year, there are several teams in need of QBs, and these teams tend to draft early
- Other such teams will be looking to trade up to secure their guy
- This past draft, we were lucky that Tennessee had their guy already, and thus were amenable to a trade
- Our record with Keenum likely won't put us at the top of the draft, but in the middle, once again
- All this considered, we need to be in position to grab one of these excellent QBs, and will either need to trade up, or flat-out suck this year
- If this Assumption is correct, though...

Assumption C [Big Assumption]: That QB is as good/better/only a little worse than Jared Goff
- Goff has highly touted intangibles, and several traits that stand out visibly on the field: poise in the pocket, size, arm talent, accuracy, footwork
- While he hasn't reached his potential in any of those areas, most of it has already showed up in preseason, and all of it is there on his college tape
- Every QB is a crapshoot, and the tools have to come together, the gap has to be bridged, the process has to work, etc.
If this assumption, in addition to the other assumptions is correct, then this point is right. If any of these assumptions is not correct, this point is moot and this line of thinking leaves us without a solid QB option.

And on top of all that, going with the car analogy, I would say the QB is much closer to being the engine that makes the car work. Spending big on a powerful and reliable engine is exactly what you want to do. (This is my assumption, since I'm not a car guy. Regardless, the QB is the most important piece, and that's what you want to get right, cost-be-damned).

Edit: To include fancents86 post.

Pretty much every single thing about commenting on how Goff is going to turn out is assumption. Besides the facts that he has a good arm, good accuracy and great footwork, that can all change if he gets beat up like Bulger and bradford.

There's a trend that's been going on with the Fisher tenure, penalties and an offense that is lacking creativity and receivers that can't catch the ball. We saw it every preseason with Fisher and it has mirrored our actual season. So what do we do, we throw in a ton of picks to grab our guy to throw the ball. As we've seen he has not helped anything of the above mentioned, bc he cant. So why give up so many picks to acquire a guy who can not fix our problems that those picks could have fixed? Especially when theres a chance a qb may be there next year who is just as good. I know, i know, thata assuming. But we're also assuming Goff progresses enough to take over next season. Not guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed. Hell, Fisher might not even be here next season to coach this qb he invested so much in, even play. I may seem pessimistic (as a Rams fan do you really blame me?) But I try to be a realist and pray for the best but prepare for the worst.

Also with the car analogy, I was getting at that the offense (engine) is not up to where it needs to be, and instead of getting better offensI've help next season, what have you, we spend those monies (picks) on a shiny new paint job (qb) that doesn't fix our current offensive (engone) problems. Unless you think Goff can fix our problems. But Fisher obviously see's it different since he believes we have the best chance with Keenum.

Last edited:

Ramatik

Starter
I get your point. But what if in a year or so he comes off the bench like Aaron Rodgers or Kurt Warner did after his "seasoning". That's what I like about this regime, they are looking at the big picture. If Goff brings us a dynasty, (hell, anything is possible) then all this bitching will be ancient history. Worst case scenario, it's just more of the same. It really didn't hurt anything. Gotta keep trying.

fancents86

Starter
I get your point. But what if in a year or so he comes off the bench like Aaron Rodgers or Kurt Warner did after his "seasoning". That's what I like about this regime, they are looking at the big picture. If Goff brings us a dynasty, (hell, anything is possible) then all this bitching will be ancient history. Worst case scenario, it's just more of the same. It really didn't hurt anything. Gotta keep trying.
I understand that too, and I think that is in the realm of possibilty.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
This is realistic brother, I think all of us are disappointed in Goff's preseason debut. :(
Go check out TurfShowTimes.com if you're looking for negativity.
Don't want the negativity, that's why I came here from that wannabe sportswriter site. I'm disappointed, but not surprised at all. The kid has the potential, but physically he's not close to being ready to survive an NFL season and I'm fine with that since we drafted him anyway. He can take over the team next year after he learns the things he didn't learn in college and builds up his body a little. He has all the things you can't teach going for him.

I get tired of some people saying it's Fishers fault that he hasn't played well this PS. He's actually played ok; if his receivers had held on to 3 or 4 more passes, his stat line and this conversation would be completely different.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Pretty much every single thing about commenting on how Goff is going to turn out is assumption. Besides the facts that he has a good arm, good accuracy and great footwork, that can all change if he gets beat up like Bulger and bradford.

There's a trend that's been going on with the Fisher tenure, penalties and an offense that is lacking creativity and receivers that can't catch the ball. We saw it every preseason with Fisher and it has mirrored our actual season. So what do we do, we throw in a ton of picks to grab our guy to throw the ball. As we've seen he has not helped anything of the above mentioned, bc he cant. So why give up so many picks to acquire a guy who can not fix our problems that those picks could have fixed? Especially when theres a chance a qb may be there next year who is just as good. I know, i know, thata assuming. But we're also assuming Goff progresses enough to take over next season. Not guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed. Hell, Fisher might not even be here next season to coach this qb he invested so much in, even play. I may seem pessimistic (as a Rams fan do you really blame me?) But I try to be a realist and pray for the best but prepare for the worst.

Also with the car analogy, I was getting at that the offense (engine) is not up to where it needs to be, and instead of getting better offensI've help next season, what have you, we spend those monies (picks) on a shiny new paint job (qb) that doesn't fix our current offensive (engone) problems. Unless you think Goff can fix our problems. But Fisher obviously see's it different since he believes we have the best chance with Keenum.
I would call our offensive line the engine. And I like what I see there.

But that would be overlooking our tight ends, and worse our running backs.

The only thing they are really missing on offense is at wide receiver.

Truth is you really could roll with that fancy paint job now, but why not go with the patina while you're still tuning and prepping?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I think this idea the Dak is heading for the Hall of Fame is a little Premature. You hear this every year from Ram fans. Colin Krappernick, Josh Freeman, everybody was saying how great he was. Every year there are quarterbacks who flash and then fade. I'm kinda glad he didn't come out flashing and then fade away. We'll see what happens, but I'm still very optimistic that this was a good trade for the long haul. In the meantime, we'll be over .500 with Case.

Who said he was going to the Hall of Fame?

Ramatik

Starter
Who said he was going to the Hall of Fame?
Literally?

Okay nobody.

Let me rephrase for those that are literal and need it spelled out properly. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

For those of you that are getting your panties all sticky over the thought of Dak's miraculous accomplishments during preseason games. It means nothing, and does not always transfer into the regular season. Before you get too giddy over another "Flash in the Pan", maybe we should see what he does in a regular game against regular starters in a real NFL game situation.

A55VA6

Legend
I find it funny when people count out a 21 YEAR OLD KID because he's not ready right off the get-go.

It's clear that he has the arm talent and the footwork, quick release.. but the adjustment to the NFL game is something that takes time for some guys. Soon as the game slows down, the playbook becomes normal, he can be quite good.

I applaud the Rams for not forcing him in there. We've got an OK QB to manage the game while Goff learns and progresses. And I'm OK with that for now.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Some of you need to take a chill pill. There are a lot of QB,'s that were drafted early in the first round and didn;t look very good their first few years. John Elway is a good example. He was horrible the first couple of years. Bad reads, bad throws, bad decisions. He even lined up to take the snap from under the guard! More than once!

Elway became pro-bowler and super-bowl winner.

Where is it written a 1st round QB has to start game one or he's a wasted pick?

I, for one, am glad they have chosen to bing Goff around slowly. I want him to have the best chance for success, and standing on the sideline holding a clipboard will help. (total BS he won't learn anything holding a clipboard, ask any QB who has, ask Aaron Rogers).

Rave patience my Rams Bros. Rams are handling him the right way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If he *literally* faceplanted, then it would explain this face.

Cq6oKC0VUAEwfKy.jpg