Jared Goff faceplants in preseason finale (NFL.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000694353/article/jared-goff-faceplants-in-preseason-finale

Jared Goff faceplants in preseason finale
By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer

Brace yourselves for Case Keenum versus Blaine Gabbert when the Los Angeles Rams open the season on Monday Night Football.

If Jared Goff had even a slim chance of overtaking Keenum for the Week 1 quarterback job, Thursday night's performance in the preseason finale slammed the door shut.

The draft's No. 1 overall pick authored an encouraging opening touchdown drive, highlighted by a 30-yard, read-option pass to Bradley Marquez. The wheels fell off thereafter.

Goff's next five third-down opportunities resulted in three consecutive overthrows, a bail-out throw short of the first-down marker and a muffed shotgun snap inside the Rams' 10-yard line. His next throw after the lost fumble was tipped at the line of scrimmage and intercepted.

Operating almost exclusively out of the shotgun, Goff struggled with the follow through on his mechanics, showed errant ball placement and got rattled by pressure.

After going 3-of-4 for 53 yards on the opening drive, he was a disturbing 3-of-12 for 14 yards with two turnovers on the final seven first-half possessions.

The Rams' quarterback of the future finished his first preseason 22 of 49 (44.9 percent) for 232 yards (4.73 yards per attempt), two touchdowns, two interceptions, three fumbles and a 55.8 passer rating.

Perhaps most telling, Goff has shown little awareness -- struggling with snaps, taking too many hits and failing to process at NFL speeds.

August quarterback assessments are notoriously difficult. A seemingly overmatched Cam Newton posted similar numbers to Goff in his first preseason, only to break the rookie record for passing yards in his regular-season debut.

While it's premature to downgrade Goff's career outlook, Rams fans have to be disappointed that he's headed for a redshirt rookie season rather than delivering the same brand of promise that Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota provided in Tampa and Nashville last year.

This 3 steps backwards crap my ROD friends has me upset and sick towards the offensive coaches (Weinke/Boras) and the way they have handled him from the beginning of OTA's. JG is not blameless but for crying out loud.......

Know your damn Prodigy when you have invested so much to get him. From this day forward Its about the Rams and JG is put on the back burner until 2017. I have not lost faith in him but I have officially lost hope in the coaches that were accountable for getting him prepared and coached up to look at least like a 2nd string quarterback.

Again this has me quite sad and sick for the young fellow....
SICKSICK.gif~c200

addon.php

addon.php
addon.php

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I wonder how much the fans blamed their coaches when captain fumble happened? That's so lame. At some point you just have to accept the fact that the rookie is playing like a rookie. At least that's what I'm hoping it is, because they really invested a lot in that pick.
tonybanks.jpg

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hey!! I resemble this remark!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I understand Goff is a rookie but I really expected more. He hasn't impressed me in the slightest through preseason while many other rookies have done fairly well. I'm not gonna make excuses for the kid, he needs to step up or he should deservingly ride the bench all season.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I don't think you tried nearly hard enough. You could have made this post waaay more negative. Maybe add a pic of Fisher, Snead and Kronke. :cautious:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I understand Goff is a rookie but I really expected more. He hasn't impressed me in the slightest through preseason while many other rookies have done fairly well. I'm not gonna make excuses for the kid, he needs to step up or he should deservingly ride the bench all season.

Reasonable assessment.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I feel like a guy who's wife bought us life insurance even though I knew it was a bad investment. All I can do is run around and tell my friends how it's actually a really good investment even though I've always said it was for fools. And all the while I've got this horrible feeling in my stomach.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I had my doubts about Goff before the draft and he has not done anything to remove those doubts. Many here touted that he was the most pro ready qb in the draft and that was obviously wrong, there have been very very few qbs that played in the air raid system that have been successful in the nfl... And now we start the season with Keenum and a muted offense once again. I hope im wrong

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If Keenum can lead them to the playoffs this year I'm still hopeful the trade will work out in the long run. If we don't make the playoffs and Goff doesn't get the experience he needs, then it was a fail. I mean, the reason Goff wasn't made the starter from day one is because they think Keenum gives them the best chance to win. After last night that was evident.
But what if they named Goff the starter from day one? What if he worked with the starters right from the start? What if he had the starters all around him during preseason games? What valuable experience would he have learned? I'm beginning to think there's a reason Fisher hasn't been extended. He mighta screwed the pooch on this one.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I'm tired of people saying, "He's a rookie playing like a rookie." He's the #1 PICK IN THE DRAFT. They gave up a shit load to move up to get this guy, while the likes of Dak Prescott, a 4th round pick for the Cowboys, is tearing it up. I don't know who's to blame, but I'm tired of the sugar-coating. A #1 overall pick should not be playing this bad.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I definitely am not impressed with what I saw out of Jared in P.S, although I believe it is confidence and familiarity not ability holding him back.
It seems as though he was not being put in a situation to build confidence. Goff did poorly coaches didn't help, playing out of 3rd and long is not an ideal situation.
Maybe developing QB's is not the Rams forte.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Bradford looked much better in his first pre season with a less talented team...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I agree here, his strengths have become his weaknesses. Calm, cool demeanor, has showcased no since of urgency, nimbleness in the pocket has translated to trip, stumble and fumble and although everybody raved about his football acumen and overall high IQ, he has not come off as overly sharp.

Now I am not concerned, IMO, I believe in our coaches unlike others and you only have to see how much Sean Mannion has improved to feel okay. Yes number one overall, however, let's not rush the kid, let him observe and get more comfortable because once he takes the field, it's going to be for the next 15 years.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm tired of people saying, "He's a rookie playing like a rookie." He's the #1 PICK IN THE DRAFT. They gave up a crap load to move up to get this guy, while the likes of Dak Prescott, a 4th round pick for the Cowboys, is tearing it up. I don't know who's to blame, but I'm tired of the sugar-coating. A #1 overall pick should not be playing this bad.
Totally agree. He is not looking like a starting QB...not by a long shot. The game is overwhelming for him and he is struggling with the basics.
It is safe to say that Fisher and the Rams thought Goff would be further ahead than he is at present, but the worst thing we could do now is try and 'progress' the guy with a baptism of fire. We invested in the guy and now we have to double down on that investment (by sitting him and bringing him along slowly) and swallow the bitter pill of a Keenum led year.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take away the 32 yard gain where he was over the line of scrimmage and just about anyone you take of the street could have had his stats . I said 2 weeks ago that this will not end well . The media pressure is growing , not to mention all the pics they gave up for a team that is right there for a playoff birth . It makes Fisher and Snead look like they have no clue how to evaluate talent . I still hold out hope for this kid but he will not see the field this year . Right now it feels like a punch in the gut because they need a real QB and Keenum is 7-9 bullcrap . I hope I'm wrong

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Petyon Manning threw 28 INT's and his team won 3 games his rookie year.. He turned out ok.

Give the kid time. NO #1 pick that is a QB was great day 1. If you can find otherwise, please post it.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Petyon Manning threw 28 INT's and his team won 3 games his rookie year.. He turned out ok.

Give the kid time. NO #1 pick that is a QB was great day 1. If you can find otherwise, please post it.

True. But Indianapolis was coming off of a 3-13 season and HAD the #1 pick - they didn't trade up for it and give up a ton of draft picks - picks this team desperately needs to get over the hump. It's a pattern of reaching for talent. Other than Gurley, look at some of the high picks and reaches we've had. Quick, Pead, Robinson.. I could go on and on. Sam definitely looked better when he first came out than Goff.

BadCompany

Rookie
And after that 3 win season the Colts used their high pick to draft a future Hall of Famer in Edgerrin James.

I get what you're saying, I do... it's just they really gave up a lot for the guy. What happens if next year's pick turns out to be a top 10, or even higher pick?