Jared Goff faceplants in preseason finale (NFL.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fancents86

Starter
My main gripe is that we went all in for Goff, just to sit and learn for a year. He was the best pick out of a bad draft year for qbs, and from reports I'm hearing this coming draft is going to be stacked with qbs (if they continue to play as good as they have). So we could have played it safe and kept our picks, stuck with keenum which we are doing anyway, and drafted a qb just as talented if not a little more or less this coming draft. The way our depth is looking right now and how our offense is playing, we could definetly use some of those picks back for next year. To me going all in on Goff is like spending almost all your money on a bad ass paint job for your project car before fixing the engine.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I sure wish we had a thread with a bunch of hand wringing and "I told you so"s...... Oh wait!

The fact is that Goff is a rookie QB. Rookie QBs rarely look good right out of the gate. That's about it. Dak is impressing right now in pre-season. Time will tell if that continues but few if any of us wanted him and most would have been lighting their torches and sharpening their forks if we had taken him. Wentz is already injured. How much of a shit storm would that have caused around Ramland?

So bitch, complain, reason, do whatever. But whining belongs in the bay area. I'm just going to look forward to us kicking ass in the upcoming season.

Go RAMS!!!

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
This thread just gave me cancer.

Jared Goff did plenty of impressive things in the preseason. Re-watch his throws, and you'll remember that. He showed instincts and poise in the pocket, and was victimized by drops. His throws had the right amount of zip, and were thrown to the correct spot (for the most part).

Calling protections, anticipating the defense, is something he's still learning, but he'll get with time. Chemistry with receivers and linemen, he'll develop. He needs to study and he needs experience.

What the rams gave up is getting overrated here. Ethereal draft-picks are being over-valued. The Rams took the most talented QB in the class. I can't make you see something you don't see, but I think this whole thread is a bunch of (albeit warranted) anxiety, feeding into paranoia, and it's just. Not. Warranted.

Kids make mistakes. They learn. If he had thrown a bunch of accuracy-related interceptions, or shown a lack of awareness in the pocket, that would be one thing. But the issues Goff had were clearly a result of overthinking, concentrating on a million different things. Those things will become second-nature, and the talent he has shown, coupled with the acquired understanding and comfort-level with the system, will make him a quarterback other teams are scared to face. And the truth is, we don't know when it will happen. With any rookie QB. It could be next week, next month or next year.

But it sure will happen. Being patient is hard, but fussing over false dooms and spooky omens is embarrassing.

WvuIN02

Starter
Its not that he is doing badly, but that the other top QBs he is being compared to were allowed to grow. Now we have apologists everywhere what-if-ing Case Keenum taking this team to the playoffs. And if he doesnt? Complete waste of a year. Different if Goff was some 4th round pick they didnt trade the farm for. You HAVE to play the kid they took all their chips and went all in.

Ramatik

Starter
And Sam was our guy. Fisher just chose to go D instead of fielding competent talent around Sam, put him in garbage systems, and stunted his growth.

I see the same thing happening with Goff. Man needs to go.
I still think Fisher is a good coach. (I didn't want him and argued against) But he took over the worst roster in the NFL. the worst organization. It was horrible. Drafting Bradford at that time was stupid. The defense needed to be built first and the o-line. (which took forever). We'll see what he fields this year. If he started Goff, this would be another lost year. I think we'll easily get over .500.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also I will admit that thus far I was completely wrong about Prescott, I didn't think he had a snowballs chance to ever be a good nfl QB. That could all change come the regular season. but that's the thing with Goff, its only going to get harder from here not easier, the preseason is much easier than the regular season. And if Goff really is the 3rd QB how is he supposed to improve during the season to become the starter?
Right...but what I'm saying is discuss Goff in terms of now as the starting Quarterback of the Los Angeles Rams (That still feels weird to write). Not in terms of the pre draft things said by the Goff camp. It comes off as you're still trying to make a case for Carson Wentz (regardless of if you say his name or not) or trying to say look at me i was right.

What does members of this board touting Goff as the most pro ready qb really have to do with anything aside from you trying to be right? Plus...how has that been disproven? by a few quarters of pre season football? Wentz got hurt and never was considered as a viable starter by the eagles....lynch got beat out by a 7th round pick...and that leaves Dak...who is literally only going to receive playing time due to injury. Sure he had some pre season success but lets not anoint him just yet. So what are we really talking about? how is anyone obviously wrong at this point?

A55VA6

Legend
Saw this on Twitter and it should remind us all to be patient with Goff...

"Rivers, Rodgers & Palmer all sat their rookie seasons. Fisher sat Steve McNair for nearly 2 seasons. Long-term plan"

All those guys turned out alright...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
True. But Indianapolis was coming off of a 3-13 season and HAD the #1 pick - they didn't trade up for it and give up a ton of draft picks - picks this team desperately needs to get over the hump. It's a pattern of reaching for talent. Other than Gurley, look at some of the high picks and reaches we've had. Quick, Pead, Robinson.. I could go on and on. Sam definitely looked better when he first came out than Goff.

I'm not saying I'm not a little disappointed, I am. But I have to be realistic. Anyone that thought a kid who didn't play under center in a pro style offense wouldn't have his struggles is just being blind. And let's face it, Fisher isn't the best at handling this. Put him in with the #1's and let see how it would really look. Instead he's with scrubs that can't catch and an OL that will get him killed. He's going to look iffy at best.
I'll bet money this is an afterthought in a year or less.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
... with Marvin Harrison as one of his WR's, and Marshall Faulk lining up behind him at RB.

Just proves that even the best need time to learn. Goff hasn't had anything near Marvin Harrison yet and Gurley has been behind him, what not at all I think?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think this idea the Dak is heading for the Hall of Fame is a little Premature. You hear this every year from Ram fans. Colin Krappernick, Josh Freeman, everybody was saying how great he was. Every year there are quarterbacks who flash and then fade. I'm kinda glad he didn't come out flashing and then fade away. We'll see what happens, but I'm still very optimistic that this was a good trade for the long haul. In the meantime, we'll be over .500 with Case.

Let's see Dak for a few real games before we get crazy.
I'll take Goff in the long run every day..

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
And after that 3 win season the Colts used their high pick to draft a future Hall of Famer in Edgerrin James.

I get what you're saying, I do... it's just they really gave up a lot for the guy. What happens if next year's pick turns out to be a top 10, or even higher pick?

Do you know how many #1's didn't even play the first year? I realize how much we gave up. Guess what, RGIII plays for the Browns now.
I'll bet Goff is our starting QB in the playoffs. I'll bet real money on that. May not be this year but it will happen.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This thread just gave me cancer.

Jared Goff did plenty of impressive things in the preseason. Re-watch his throws, and you'll remember that. He showed instincts and poise in the pocket, and was victimized by drops. His throws had the right amount of zip, and were thrown to the correct spot (for the most part).

Calling protections, anticipating the defense, is something he's still learning, but he'll get with time. Chemistry with receivers and linemen, he'll develop. He needs to study and he needs experience.

What the rams gave up is getting overrated here. Ethereal draft-picks are being over-valued. The Rams took the most talented QB in the class. I can't make you see something you don't see, but I think this whole thread is a bunch of (albeit warranted) anxiety, feeding into paranoia, and it's just. Not. Warranted.

Kids make mistakes. They learn. If he had thrown a bunch of accuracy-related interceptions, or shown a lack of awareness in the pocket, that would be one thing. But the issues Goff had were clearly a result of overthinking, concentrating on a million different things. Those things will become second-nature, and the talent he has shown, coupled with the acquired understanding and comfort-level with the system, will make him a quarterback other teams are scared to face. And the truth is, we don't know when it will happen. With any rookie QB. It could be next week, next month or next year.

But it sure will happen. Being patient is hard, but fussing over false dooms and spooky omens is embarrassing.
200.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
welp....no more practice till next year....wish he coulda threw more innings....maybe some mop up time after a few blowouts...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just proves that even the best need time to learn. Goff hasn't had anything near Marvin Harrison yet and Gurley has been behind him, what not at all I think?

Goff hasn't taken a single snap with Gurley behind him in a preseason game. Maybe in practice, but not in a game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It makes Fisher and Snead look like they have no clue how to evaluate offensive talent
FTFY because if there's another GM/HC duo better at bringing in obscure defensive talent than Snisher please stand up.

Just to be clear :)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He also set rookie passing records.
Yes, most passing completions by a rookie and moSt completions without an interception. Nothing to sneeze at but not all world records. He also set the rams record for passes in a season that year. 590 passes for just 3500 yards. And to add to that, look how many rookies outdid his numbers after him

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There's an awful lot of whiny panic in this thread....with a side of snark.
200.gif

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I saw flashes of good throws. I was sold when I saw the throw that Pharoh dropped at the 5 against the Cowboys.

He's a College Air Raid Spread QB learning a Pro Style offense.

I think he comes around.

I'm not pissing my pants about the draft choices.

Besides, Les' hair will figure out a way to scheme more picks next year.