Jared Goff 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
*Sorry, I couldn't load the attached videos. Maybe someone else more

As preseason comes to a close, people rush to sort things, sufficient information be dratted, and Los Angeles Rams #1 pick Jared Goff is not immune. Jon Ledyard takes a look at Jared Goff’s preseason to contextualize this struggles and concludes that there is no need to hit the panic button yet.
When the Los Angeles Rams made Jared Goff the first overall pick in the 2016 draft, trading away a plethora of picks in the process, the selection came with the expectation that the former California Golden Bears passer would become the face of the newly relocated franchise.

Thanks for posting that @Roman Snow.. Damn I wish I could've seen all those rear shoulder and back-view camera angles when watching his college film. The NFL gets access to all those camera angles and visual nuances on all quarterback prospects when they're scouting them, yet they never seem to release the full game versions to the public.

You can see JG's still got a ways to go but hopefully he jump leaps and bounds in the next 2 or 3 weeks from practice, watching Keenum in the regular season and breaking down regular season game film with CK, Boras and Weinke.... There is still hope he sees the field this year but only Fisher can make that call.

A great find R.Snow (y)

4486670.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rubbish, how? Are you satisfied with the opportunities he received, and the support he received in his preseason opportunities? I would love to have seen how Goff could do with GRob, Britt, Tavon, Kendricks etc. a bit more, and without the freaking avalanche of drops by Quick and Thomas especially.

I think the coaching staff is right to start Keenum for the opener, but I thought this article was pretty right on.
It's all relative. He was going against scrubs as well, so the level of competition was even across the board. If there were drops, then there were drops. But that doesn't mean he was being put in a poor situation by the coaching staff. He has to accept some responsibility for his own performance as well - it's not all one-sided. If you're the best, then beat the other QBs who are apparently regarded as nothing more than mediocre around here anyway. How hard could that be?

I was watching Hard Knocks the other day and Boras called in a play for him. He repeated it, but then one of the receivers asked him what he called. His response was, "I have no idea." All he remembered was Y-right. Meaning, that was the only part of the play he was gonna see unfold and know where it was going. That lack of understanding is what's holding him back. Not the coaches. He'll certainly get it all down, and begin to get more comfortable, but it's not happening in a regular season game until he masters it on the practice field.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It's all relative. He was going against scrubs as well, so the level of competition was even across the board. If there were drops, then there were drops. But that doesn't mean he was being put in a poor situation by the coaching staff. He has to accept some responsibility for his own performance as well - it's not all one-sided. If you're the best, then beat the other QBs who are apparently regarded as nothing more than mediocre around here anyway. How hard could that be?

I was watching Hard Knocks the other day and Boras called in a play for him. He repeated it, but then one of the receivers asked him what he called. His response was, "I have no idea." All he remembered was Y-right. Meaning, that was the only part of the play he was gonna see unfold and know where it was going. That lack of understanding is what's holding him back. Not the coaches. He'll certainly get it all down, and begin to get more comfortable, but it's not happening in a regular season game until he masters it on the practice field.
Interesting. I have only seen Hard Knocks I, so it is good to get some of that feedback. As I mentioned, I am not arguing that he is ready, merely that the "he sucks" train shouldn't be leaving the station.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As I mentioned, I am not arguing that he is ready, merely that the "he sucks" train shouldn't be leaving the station.
Agreed. He definitely doesn't suck, and I'm certain I never intimated as much.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Agreed. He definitely doesn't suck, and I'm certain I never intimated as much.
Not you, or really anyone on this board, to a large degree. But you can feel the media drum beat.

Imagine how images of him deactivated the first few weeks in street clothes on the sidelines are going to feed some of this BS.

:rant:As long as he's not spitting sunflower seeds!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not you, or really anyone on this board, to a large degree. But you can feel the media drum beat.

Imagine how images of him deactivated the first few weeks in street clothes on the sidelines are going to feed some of this BS.

:rant:As long as he's not spitting sunflower seeds!
Yeah, I hear ya. The instant gratification media and their agendas. I've kinda learned to tune them out. Going back to the comment about drops real quick though, I feel that even though there were drops while Goff was QBing, the coaches know that's not the QB's fault. I don't think that factors into their evaluations.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I hear ya. The instant gratification media and their agendas. I've kinda learned to tune them out. Going back to the comment about drops real quick though, I feel that even though there were drops while Goff was QBing, the coaches know that's not the QB's fault. I don't think that factors into their evaluations.

The drops stopped drives cold and limited the amount of time goff saw the field.

Then again his turnovers were more of a problem for him in that regard.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Going back to the comment about drops real quick though, I feel that even though there were drops while Goff was QBing, the coaches know that's not the QB's fault.
Very true, and I know it isn't helping his confidence either. Just needs to keep grinding.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This:
I have no idea." All he remembered was Y-right. Meaning, that was the only part of the play he was gonna see unfold and know where it was going. That lack of understanding is what's holding him back
Jared has many area's where he is Unfamiliar or uncomfortable.
The Jargon is foreign still, The speed of the play is something to adjust to, Not that he has done it a ton but playing under center is new etc.....
He can not be fairly judged until he is comfortable, when he is we will see what we have.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Everything has been, pretty much covered, and there are some good takes on this from both sides. My take, is that Goff is in a really unusual situation. .500 teams hardly ever get the #1 overall pick. This just makes our situation different. From my eyes, Jared isn't ready to start, because he is thinking too much, and when that happens, it takes his best attributes away from him, his anticipation, his feel in the pocket. I don't want him to get hurt, because his processor is bogged down with a virus.

As soon as he knows the plays, is comfortable with the offense, then he should be out there. To me, it's as simple as that. It's not that he is just a rookie, but he's a rookie QB, and he has to know everyone's plays on offense, not just his own. His learning curve, coming in, based on his high school, and college experience, is huge. Bigger than huge, he has NEVER huddled, and that in itself is crazy, but true. He is a little overwhelmed right now, and we certainly haven't helped him...made plays for him, which leads to frustration.

I'm not worried about him. I am excited that he is a Ram, and he will be our long-time starter soon enough. I don't want to wreck him. I liken it to throwing the keys of a Porsche Turbo, to a kid that scored 99% on his driver test, and saying, "Go nuts, kid, you earned it." He hasn't earned it, he is simply not ready, IMO. I don't want him to get in an accident, I want him to progress to the point, where I don't feel like he's going to crash every time he takes the wheel. I want to feel like we do with Gurley, we feel like something special is going to happen every time he touches it.

It will be OK, he will get there, he will get there this year, and if Case can fend him off, then that is a good thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Although you can't possibly know that, I hope you're right. The reason you can't possibly know that is because (a) you're not him and (b) he hasn't been in a situation with this much pressure and against this much high-level opposing talent. Matt Leinart was pretty mentally tough until Wil Witherspoon broke his collar bone and he sat on the sidelines looking like someone murdered his entire family. He would come back after that but he was never the same.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT COMPARING LEINART AND GOFF IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM EXCEPT TO SAY THAT MENTAL TOUGHNESS CAN BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU.

I have to disagree on Leinart. Leinart didn't have the work ethic to succeed. He, himself, admits that he spent way too much time partying and living the life rather than working at being a NFL QB.

No, I can't know that. But I did watch him during his freshman year at Cal when he got battered on a 1-11 team.

I said the same thing about Bortles when he came out. Like Bortles, Goff has the mental toughness needed to succeed imo.

That is very bold jrry. Very. If he has mental toughness then he shouldn't mind sitting out hit the books and learn.

That ain't the issue. I don't think he's going to fold because he has to sit. I think it's delaying his development and hurting our team.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Lets see how we fair off the first game come Monday. Then we will see if we are hurting as a team.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Whether or not my opinion is popular, Keenum is 7-9 bullcrap to me. The team went 3-2 against the soft part of our schedule last year with him. The only game where he played particularly well was the Tampa Bay game. We know what Keenum is. He's a game manager. He's not going to elevate this offense or this team. Goff's development will pay dividends this year and for the next decade. Fisher's career has been consistent 7-9/8-8 bullcrap because he consistently plays limited vets over talented rookies. This is yet another example of that.

It's depressing to me that we've wasted so many opportunities to develop Goff before the regular season has started and will continue to do that.

The 2016 Rams are a playoff caliber team. Maybe Keenum can get there. Maybe he can't. But I can tell you this, Goff is the type of guy that can take us all the way. Keenum isn't imo.

I couldn't agree more with you @jrry32 - this organisation has shown that they can not develop ANYBODY at QB and that has always been my concern. They should have hired the best QB coach going as soon as they knew they were going to draft at #1 - I don't think sitting out a year is acceptable - he's not going to develop until he gets quality game time and drives this offence - our recent QBs have been dire. clemens, Davis, Hill and even Bradford have been the weak link and now we're rolling with Keenum AFTER trading UP to secure Goff - you have to laugh - it's almost like a farce. I would have rather have seen Goff take most of the reps with the 1s and let him find that groove rather than flog the Keenum horse - he and Mannion should have had split reps to slug it out for the #2 slot (which I would have liked to see Mannion win).

Believe me I have absolutely nothing against Keenum, its just I think we've seen his ceiling, and it ain't that high. I think we're looking at 7-9 this year if we stick with Keenum, we've taken some hits on our defence this offseason, we're not going to be able to rely on them and our special teams to win games for us this year. Our Offence needs to stand up and be counted and I don't mean handing the ball to Gurley all the time...

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I couldn't agree more with you @jrry32 - this organisation has shown that they can not develop ANYBODY at QB and that has always been my concern. They should have hired the best QB coach going as soon as they knew they were going to draft at #1 - I don't think sitting out a year is acceptable - he's not going to develop until he gets quality game time and drives this offence - our recent QBs have been dire. clemens, Davis, Hill and even Bradford have been the weak link and now we're rolling with Keenum AFTER trading UP to secure Goff - you have to laugh - it's almost like a farce. I would have rather have seen Goff take most of the reps with the 1s and let him find that groove rather than flog the Keenum horse - he and Mannion should have had split reps to slug it out for the #2 slot (which I would have liked to see Mannion win).

Believe me I have absolutely nothing against Keenum, its just I think we've seen his ceiling, and it ain't that high. I think we're looking at 7-9 this year if we stick with Keenum, we've taken some hits on our defence this offseason, we're not going to be able to rely on them and our special teams to win games for us this year. Our Offence needs to stand up and be counted and I don't mean handing the ball to Gurley all the time...

I would be very surprised if the Rams had a horrible first half of the season(2-6 or 3-5) and Goff didn't take the field for the remainder of the year. But if they are winning they won't mess with things. I share the concern about developing QBs, however. They do have to get this right or the organization will set itself back for many more years.

FrankenRam

Starter
Here's the issue. None of us disagree that Keenum is more mentally prepared today. Where we disagree is how quickly Goff will get "it" by playing.

The majority of us in favor of playing Goff believe he'll have his ups and downs early on. But by struggling through those ups and downs over the first few games, he'll get to where he needs to be to pass Keenum. We don't believe that sitting him on the bench is a substitution for that game experience.

Further, we also believe that we can win even with an up and down Goff over the first quarter of the season. Our schedule isn't easy, but we still have Gurley, the defense, and the special teams. They won us games last year when Foles and Keenum contributed very little. They can do it again.......

There will certainly come a time when more playing time will translate to quick & distinct improvement. The question is when is that time. And nobody knows. IF he doesn't know the playbook, IF he is overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL game, IF he can't read the defensive alignment somewhat effectively when he comes to the line, etc.....it's possible playing him 'now' could just as easily retard his development as accelerate it.

The 'Keenum Factor' is a very minimal part of the equation, IMO. It's all about when Goff is ready. You keep wanting to blame Fisher for not developing him properly, but none of us see 1% of what the coaches see in practice and meetings and just the daily interaction with him. I find it extremely hard to believe that IF Goff was close to being what Keenum brings to the table today, that Fisher wouldn't be playing him. While I'm not an overly big fan of Fisher's excessively (to me) conservative style of offensive football, I just don't believe he'd let a player for whom they gave up so much to ride the bench 'just because'. And the fact he hinted Goff will start the season as the 3rd string QB should tell us something about Goff's current readiness to be an NFL starting QB.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
There will certainly come a time when more playing time will translate to quick & distinct improvement. The question is when is that time. And nobody knows. IF he doesn't know the playbook, IF he is overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL game, IF he can't read the defensive alignment somewhat effectively when he comes to the line, etc.....it's possible playing him 'now' could just as easily retard his development as accelerate it.

The 'Keenum Factor' is a very minimal part of the equation, IMO. It's all about when Goff is ready. You keep wanting to blame Fisher for not developing him properly, but none of us see 1% of what the coaches see in practice and meetings and just the daily interaction with him. I find it extremely hard to believe that IF Goff was close to being what Keenum brings to the table today, that Fisher wouldn't be playing him. While I'm not an overly big fan of Fisher's excessively (to me) conservative style of offensive football, I just don't believe he'd let a player for whom they gave up so much to ride the bench 'just because'. And the fact he hinted Goff will start the season as the 3rd string QB should tell us something about Goff's current readiness to be an NFL starting QB.

Surely though, this argument makes the draft selection suspect. You don't draft up so far to get a guy that isn't going to play for a year (or two) it's not like the Rams are in such a luxurious position as that - it's not like we have Brett Favre as our QB at the moment

FrankenRam

Starter
Surely though, this argument makes the draft selection suspect. You don't draft up so far to get a guy that isn't going to play for a year (or two) it's not like the Rams are in such a luxurious position as that - it's not like we have Brett Favre as our QB at the moment

I would not question it at this point...WAY too early.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of these mega trades where one team gives up a boatload of players or picks (or players and picks) to make a major move up in the draft to select a 'suspect' that's never set foot on an NFL field. Doesn't *seem* like they often work out for the 'givers'. Dunno if stats would bear that out, but it sure seems that way.

At this point, what's done is done. And if Goff does turn into 'the' guy for the Rams for the next dozen years, and gets them to the playoffs more often than not, and wins a Super Bowl or 2, then I would call the trade a success. And whether he plays a down this year or not won't be remembered......much less cared about by anyone.