Jared Goff 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Just gonna put this out there, I don't think Goff isn't going to start this year unless there's injury to Keenum or the offense has huge struggles like last year. Not trying to make a bold statement or anything, cause I think this is kind of common sense. It's just a thought that's not really in the forefront of all our minds.

That said, I would be fine with him sitting a year if it means he's more prepared and ready to go when his time comes.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just gonna put this out there, I don't think Goff isn't going to start this year unless there's injury to Keenum or the offense has huge struggles like last year. Not trying to make a bold statement or anything, cause I think this is kind of common sense. It's just a thought that's not really in the forefront of all our minds.

That said, I would be fine with him sitting a year if it means he's more prepared and ready to go when his time comes.
he's going to be good. just not at the moment. not when he still makes mistakes like the near pick 6 play before FG#3 . once the game "slows down" for him, then we shall see the #1 overall pick start playing. that being said, having TGIII in the backfield and actually using Tavon will help as well.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Unless Keenum is playing at a pro bowl level or the Rams are undefeated, Goff will eventually play.

Think Kap a few years back with the Niners. Smith was playing great and then Kap took over......because he was ready and it was time and was better than Smith.

Nothing against Keenum but Goff is/should be better depending on your opinion. Goff will eventually win the job and I think the coaching staff want that to happen

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
raw

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Keenum is our once and future back-up QB, he'll start so long as we are winning (regular season) unless he's injured or Fisher decides it's Goff's time. Fisher knows his QB's better than any of us, so whatever he decides is what goes down. Keenum will be kept on a short leash imo, if things start going south, Goff will make his debut, and unless there's some disaster, he'll keep the job permanently after that. Pre-season game 4 is likely to be all Goff/Mannion, so he'll continue getting work and making progress. jmo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I agree that Case is the safe choice and probably gives a better chance to win early, I think we have a ceiling with Keenum.....If the team rolled the dice and chanced that starting a rookie would vastly increase the process by the end of the year, we might lose a couple that a game manager would have won...but then he might win (Goff) games that Keenum could not have won with his arm when Gurley is taken away during the game.

If Keenum wins, or barely loses a few games, I think Fishers cautious nature will win out and we'll be lucky to get 7 wins this year.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I think it's pretty clear he won't start at all this year, unless Keenum implodes or gets injured.

Here's a better question IMO...

Say we're 4-4 or 5-3 at mid season. We have a real shot at the playoffs but need strong play in the second half of the season.

But Keenum gets injured.

In that scenario, with that record, do they go with Goff or Mannion? At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Mannion got the nod. If the Rams are out of it at that point, then you definitely go with Goff. But if the playoffs are in reach, in seems Mannion might be more game-day ready at this point .

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless Keenum is playing at a pro bowl level or the Rams are undefeated, Goff will eventually play.

Think Kap a few years back with the Niners. Smith was playing great and then Kap took over......because he was ready and it was time and was better than Smith.

Nothing against Keenum but Goff is/should be better depending on your opinion. Goff will eventually win the job and I think the coaching staff want that to happen
Keenum will basically keep mistakes to a minimum. unfortunately in his case, that means not much chance for big plays to happen either. cant always choose the safe throw. I believe that Keenum is serviceable until Goff is readly to take over. that way, Goff doesnt get thrown to the wolves risking his confidence level if things go south due to inexperience.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's pretty clear he won't start at all this year, unless Keenum implodes or gets injured.

Here's a better question IMO...

Say we're 4-4 or 5-3 at mid season. We have a real shot at the playoffs but need strong play in the second half of the season.

But Keenum gets injured.

In that scenario, with that record, do they go with Goff or Mannion? At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Mannion got the nod. If the Rams are out of it at that point, then you definitely go with Goff. But if the playoffs are in reach, in seems Mannion might be more game-day ready at this point .

I would absolutely lose my mind if they started Mannion over Goff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I thought Smith got injured and Kaep was forced into action?

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Think Kap a few years back with the Niners. Smith was playing great and then Kap took over......because he was ready and it was time and was better than Smith

You might have forgotten but the reason Kaepernick went in is because Smith got a concussion. So to my point, the only way we see Goff start is injury to Keenum or continuous lackluster play.

I think Goff will be the better QB eventually. But if we're winning games with Keenum there's no reason to make a change. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Fisher can say he's taking the same approach with Goff as they did with Gurley, which in a way he is, but you can't just change out a QB for a few plays or a game or two like you can with a RB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum is our once and future back-up QB, he'll start so long as we are winning (regular season) unless he's injured or Fisher decides it's Goff's time. Fisher knows his QB's better than any of us, so whatever he decides is what goes down. Keenum will be kept on a short leash imo, if things start going south, Goff will make his debut, and unless there's some disaster, he'll keep the job permanently after that. Pre-season game 4 is likely to be all Goff/Mannion, so he'll continue getting work and making progress. jmo.

After seeing the 2nd stringers blocking for Goff i don't want him anywhere near the field with them ever again. That's mannion's job.

HellRam

Starter
I'm afraid Rams fans have seen poor QB play for so long they have forgotten what a QBs job should be. Particularly what the good QBs do.

That throw to Cooper by Goff was beautiful and creative. Something you don't see from every QB. Cooper also made a heck of a catch, making him and Goff look good.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Starting Keenum is uninspiring as it gets. You are committing to running Gurley into the ground, defenses sitting on short passes, and hoping Kenny Britt draws a PI on some Keenum woblers downfield. I have no faith in Keenum and our WRs beating consistent man coverage like he will need to in the regular season.

Goff unlike our other QBs looks downfield and has the cojones to fit the ball into tight windows. It is obvious how much more comfortable he gets every game. With our WR core seriously lacking in talent you need a QB that will put the WRs in position to make plays not a guy who needs a WR to get open. Goff is that guy Keenum isn't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whether or not my opinion is popular, Keenum is 7-9 bullshit to me. The team went 3-2 against the soft part of our schedule last year with him. The only game where he played particularly well was the Tampa Bay game. We know what Keenum is. He's a game manager. He's not going to elevate this offense or this team. Goff's development will pay dividends this year and for the next decade. Fisher's career has been consistent 7-9/8-8 bullshit because he consistently plays limited vets over talented rookies. This is yet another example of that.

It's depressing to me that we've wasted so many opportunities to develop Goff before the regular season has started and will continue to do that.

The 2016 Rams are a playoff caliber team. Maybe Keenum can get there. Maybe he can't. But I can tell you this, Goff is the type of guy that can take us all the way. Keenum isn't imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is cool and all that so many think Case is capable of leading this team to consistently good offensive showings. But it is unrealistic thinking. He means good game bad game and the same old Fish led Rams.

Fortunately I believe Fish knows that. It is why they gave up so much for Goff. Goff might have the bad games, but he will improve and that is the difference.

I am cool with Case starting the season. But IMO there is not a lot of dropoff from Case to Goff but there is a lot more upside with Jared.

jap

Legend
These discussions are just a continuation of the discussions held late last season on this forum. Case is simply not an impact QB. We need someone who can throw the rock downfield with great accuracy, touch, & effectiveness to force DC's to relax the box stacking against the Express! The Horns moved up to the #1 overall spot in the 2016 draft to secure such a QB. This team cannot be all it can be until that impact QB is in place.

Last night I believe Case was removed earlier than Fish originally planned after absorbing the hard hit while running out of bounds. This gave Jared an opportunity to play with the (mostly) starters for quite a while. The coaching brass knows Case's limitations, and they will know when to insert Jared . . . and that is when he arrives at the point where he becomes the best option to win despite his (hopefully diminishing) mistakes.

Case is a decent backup. Sean doesn't get rid of the rock fast enough for my taste. I would hate to see Tavon or some other fly guy breaking free deep all in vain because Sean is getting buried under the pass rush. Even now, Jared looks to be mostly susceptible to the sudden blind side rush. He is increasingly showcasing his pocket awareness, and he will continue to grow in that department.

Jared needs his opportunities to test how small those NFL throwing lanes are and how quickly they close. The near INT last night is a classic example of a rookie QB incorrectly anticipating the relatively large windows he used to receive in college. He needs to be baited by savvy DB's so he can pass those tests and learn to burn them like cheap toast. Until he can pass those tests, DC's will continue to load the box against Gurley and his RB gangsters.

Last edited: