Jared Goff 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd rather have the better QB than more of the playbook.

I don't care what they showed on Hard Knocks. It's a TV show. Him making a mistake in practice doesn't bother me. Citing those things is like people trying to tell me that one QB is better than another based on Gruden QB Camp.
lol. TV show or not, he didn't remember 4/5ths of a play that was given to him when asked by his own receiver to repeat it.
That would be awesome in a real game.

Austin: "What was the play again?"
Goff: "All I remember is X-slash. So, I'm throwing to Quick I guess. Everyone else ... do whatever."

He is the better player right now.
Nah. Not yet. He only has more potential.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'd be concerned if they have to scale everything way way down to accommodate his lack of understanding right now. I'd also rather have the whole playbook at my disposal where every player on offense can benefit as opposed to handicapping my team by running a third of it. And no, he can't remember all the plays right now. They just showed it on Hard Knocks. Because he called a scripted drive that was rehearsed in practice, doesn't mean the coaches have the luxury of adjusting on the fly if they need to.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Marcus Mariota, Jaemis Winston, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson.... I could go on for days with the list but all had the play book scaled back to start the season and expanded as the year went on. A scaled back playbook under Goff is still a better offense than the whole playbook at Keenum's plate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Peyton Manning, John Elway, Marcus Mariota, Jaemis Winston, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson.... I could go on for days with the list but all had the play book scaled back to start the season and expanded as the year went on. A scaled back playbook under Goff is still a better offense than the whole playbook at Keenum's plate.
Clearly that's not the case, or he would be starting.
BTW, Elway didn't start the season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clearly that's not the case, or he would be starting.
BTW, Elway didn't start the season.
Some of them didn't but what I was trying to say was when they first started games. You know what I meant X sorry.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some of them didn't but what I was trying to say was when they first started games. You know what I meant X sorry.
It's cool.
So when Goff first starts a game, they can scale the playbook back if they have to.

Honestly OS, this is much ado about nothing. He'll start when he's deemed ready by Fisher, Boras, McGinnis and Weinke. I know a lot of people wanna see him immediately because he's the future, but there's no need to rush him in before he's ready. What does that accomplish other than satisfying a fan's desire to see him play? And all this talk about Keenum being a scrub is kind of offensive. Dude works his ass off like everyone else (moreso when you consider him getting with the receivers before the off-season began), and he definitely paid his dues. He knows the playbook well, has a chemistry with the receivers, and can execute some of the things that Goff can't right now - like calling protections and making sight adjustments. If it takes Goff a few games to get up to that speed, then what's the big deal?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It's cool.
So when Goff first starts a game, they can scale the playbook back if they have to.

Honestly OS, this is much ado about nothing. He'll start when he's deemed ready by Fisher, Boras, McGinnis and Weinke. I know a lot of people wanna see him immediately because he's the future, but there's no need to rush him in before he's ready. What does that accomplish other than satisfying a fan's desire to see him play? And all this talk about Keenum being a scrub is kind of offensive. Dude works his ass off like everyone else (moreso when you consider him getting with the receivers before the off-season began), and he definitely paid his dues. He knows the playbook well, has a chemistry with the receivers, and can execute some of the things that Goff can't right now - like calling protections and making sight adjustments. If it takes Goff a few games to get up to that speed, then what's the big deal?

'scuse me but please for the benefit of keeping this delightful thread moving, limit the mic dropping posts to one a thread

Carry on

Oh, and Bravo!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol. TV show or not, he didn't remember 4/5ths of a play that was given to him when asked by his own receiver to repeat it.
That would be awesome in a real game.

Austin: "What was the play again?"
Goff: "All I remember is X-slash. So, I'm throwing to Quick I guess. Everyone else ... do whatever."

How many other rookie QBs has that same thing happened to during training camp? I don't care that it happened. It's meaningless. Didn't happen in a game situation.

Let's say that the worst case scenario occurs and it happens again. Guess what? We have three timeouts. We can also take a delay of game. Not the end of the world.

Nah. Not yet. He only has more potential.

Nope. Right now, he is better.

It's cool.

This isn't much ado about nothing. This much ado about another bad decision by Fisher. That was predictable based on his history. Which tells you something...he still hasn't learned from his mistakes.

That's great that Keenum works hard. But calling a spade a spade isn't offensive. It's simply pointing out what Keenum is. No reason to get offended when people pointed out Craig Dahl's limitations. No reason to get offended when they do the same with Keenum.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let's say that the worst case scenario occurs and it happens again. Guess what? We have three timeouts. We can also take a delay of game. Not the end of the world.
I'd rather not use all 3 timeouts in the first quarter, thank you very much.
I'd also rather not get a bunch of 5 yard penalties if they, too, can be avoided.

Nope. Right now, he is better.
Nerp. Shorry.

This isn't much ado about nothing. This much ado about another bad decision by Fisher. That was predictable based on his history. Which tells you something...he still hasn't learned from his mistakes.
lol. What mistake is that? Like easing Steve McNair into a starting role and going to a Superbowl with him down the road?
THE HORROR!!!!

That's great that Keenum works hard. But calling a spade a spade isn't offensive. It's simply pointing out what Keenum is. No reason to get offended when people pointed out Craig Dahl's limitations. No reason to get offended when they do the same with Keenum.
Cool story. Except I never said I was offended. I said it was offensive to say a rookie with zero experience and a lively arm deserves to supplant a guy who's paid his dues and has a better grip on the offense at this point in time. Every single player on the Rams will tell you the same thing too. But what do they, and the coaches, know about hard work, earning your shot, or camaraderie anyway? We drafted a guy #1 overall. That in and of itself means the only rule that applies is entitlement. Or something equally ridiculous.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's cool.

The whole debate starts off a fans perspective that Keenum gives us a better shot to win starting week 1. And us being fans on this board (I almost did a Freudian slip and typed bored) are going to debate that till we're cross eyed and crazier. Some of us feel that with his limitations and inexperience still feel Goff gives us a better chance to win than Keenum at his best ever could. I'm wondering if we can get this to 25 pages by Monday night. We'd have a good shot if people didn't keep starting a Goff/Keenum thread or two a day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather not use all 3 timeouts in the first quarter, thank you very much.
I'd also rather not get a bunch of 5 yard penalties if they, too, can be avoided.

I'd rather not lose to a bad SF team, again, because our offense can't score more than 16 points.

lol. What mistake is that? Like easing Steve McNair into a starting role and going to a Superbowl with him down the road?
THE HORROR!!!!

I'll give you a hint. Vince Young.

Well, that's more than a hint.

Steve McNair was drafted more than two decades ago and didn't become the full-time starter until his third year. Different day and age. And if he's the only QB you can point to Fisher developing, Houston, we have a problem.

Cool story. Except I never said I was offended. I said it was offensive to say a rookie with zero experience and a lively arm deserves to supplant a guy who's paid his dues and has a better grip on the offense at this point in time. Every single player on the Rams will tell you the same thing too. But what do they, and the coaches, know about hard work, earning your shot, or camaraderie anyway? We drafted a guy #1 overall. That in and of itself means the only rule that applies is entitlement. Or something equally ridiculous.

Happens every year. I'm sure the Bucs, Panthers, Colts, and Rams were upset when those entitled rookies started over guys like Mike Glennon, Derek Anderson, Drew Stanton, and A.J. Feeley.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some of us feel that with his limitations and inexperience still feel Goff gives us a better chance to win than Keenum at his best ever could.
Okay, but that seems kinda silly to me.
Tellin' me Keenum's performance against the Bucs last year is no better than Goff's performance against the Vikings this year?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, but that seems kinda silly to me.
Tellin' me Keenum's performance against the Bucs last year is no better than Goff's performance against the Vikings this year?
Goff without Gurley, Tavon, Cooper and how many other 1st team skilled players and without our LT? Absolutely no questions asked. Also interesting that you singled out the only game Keenum put out any kind of offensive production and ignored his other 4 starts where we averaged under 16 points a game. You wouldn't be trying to make your side of the debate look better would you? :sneaky:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This is my take.
1. Fisher never actually said Goff was a third ting qb. He said all in the same statemen a number of times earlier that he was a 2nd and then stated "If the season were to start right now, Mannion would be 2nd." So why all the ridiculous headlines. Misleading a bit.

2. I believe this team is healthy and good enough to win while Goff gets better prepared to take over.... possibly by bye week. I think we can win with Kenumn, Mannion at the helm. Where does our offense improve you ask? At the offensive line and the passing game under Groh. So I think then as Goff energy as the starter later in the season not only much more prepared and comfortable. ....but the offense could already be much more improved and ready for his assent.

3. I am a draft geek. So long before we traded up to no.1 and it looked as though SF was going to get Goff with the 7th pick..... I had studied Goff. So this is what I had written down. Superior footwork in the pocket. Able to read defenses before snap as well as go though his progressions. Above average Arm strength . Quick release. Very very Accurate. Slow start to some games.Best Qb in this draft...... now all this being said he will only get better and better with playing time.....I mean come on he never fumbled a shotgun snap I college..... But before he can start he does need to know all the verbage....and know presisly where everyone is and what they are doing on each play.

So my feeling is he will start at some point this season and though we are impatient. ... he will come in and make the Rams better. It is a process and in 2 to 3 year .....Whach Out......;)

Go Rams.......... ;)
200.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd rather not lose to a bad SF team, again, because our offense can't score more than 16 points.
And Goff is gonna remedy that right out of the gates before he can even master the QB/Center exchange?
And you do know that there's the possibility that we could score zero points too, yeah?

I'll give you a hint. Vince Young.

Well, that's more than a hint.

Steve McNair was drafted more than two decades ago and didn't become the full-time starter until his third year. Different day and age. And if he's the only QB you can point to Fisher developing, Houston, we have a problem.
Oh, we're moving goal-posts again. How fun. Okay, how about you take a step back and understand the kind of offense Fisher runs. He hasn't, ever, had a QB that throws for 4000 yards a year, and Goff isn't going to be the first - especially as a rookie. He red-shirts his RB in practice for crying out loud. That should tell you where the importance lies. If you think Goff is gonna come in here as green as a booger and light up the 49ers, you need to quit playing Madden. #1, they're not going to be lit up by a rookie, and #2, the first game of the season is almost always a feeling out game for 3 quarters before either team takes a chance on anything.

Happens every year. I'm sure the Bucs, Panthers, Colts, and Rams were upset when those entitled rookies started over guys like Mike Glennon, Derek Anderson, Drew Stanton, and A.J. Feeley.
Those rookies were clearly better than the guy in front of them then.
Shouldn't you be more worried that Goff couldn't beat out Mannion as opposed to worrying about what the Bucs or Panthers think?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Also interesting that you singled out the only game Keenum put out any kind of offensive production and ignored his other 4 starts where we averaged under 16 points a game. You wouldn't be trying to make your side of the debate look better would you? :sneaky:
Am I in the twilight zone tonight?

Didn't you say that an inexperienced Goff is better than Keenum at his best?
Wouldn't it follow that I'd show you Keenum at his best and compare it to Goff's last game to prove it was an erroneous statement?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
One thing is certain, we're going to get a glimpse of what happens when you trot a QB on an NFL field when he's not ready.

There's no doubt in my mind the guy in Philly is in for a long afternoon, alas he gets a chance to prove me wrong.

The Rams can't afford to piss away wins while nursing a QB that most rational people know isn't quite ready just yet

Play to win, right?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Goff is gonna remedy that right out of the gates before he can even master the QB/Center exchange?
And you do know that there's the possibility that we could score zero points too, yeah?

Wouldn't be the first time it happened.

Yes, I know there's a possibility we could score zero. That possibility still exists with Keenum. In fact, I consider it more likely to happen with Keenum than with Goff.

Oh, we're moving goal-posts again. How fun. Okay, how about you take a step back and understand the kind of offense Fisher runs. He hasn't, ever, had a QB that throws for 4000 yards a year, and Goff isn't going to be the first - especially as a rookie. He red-shirts his RB in practice for crying out loud. That should tell you where the importance lies. If you think Goff is gonna come in here as green as a booger and light up the 49ers, you need to quit playing Madden. #1, they're not going to be lit up by a rookie, and #2, the first game of the season is almost always a feeling out game for 3 quarters before either team takes a chance on anything.

How have the goal-posts moved at all? I told you that we saw this exact same mistake before with Fisher. You brought up McNair. The answer wasn't McNair. It was Vince Young.

I don't think Goff is going to come in and light up the 49ers. I've been very straight-forward with that. Don't misrepresent my points. However, there's more potential that Goff lights up the 49ers than there is that Keenum lights up the 49ers.

Those rookies were clearly better than the guy in front of them then.

Really? By what measure? Every single veteran QB I named posted a better preseason QB rating than the rookie.

They were clearly better. I agree. But not by preseason performance. They were clearly better because they were more talented and we knew who the veterans were based on their careers to that point. Which is exactly the case I'm making here.

Shouldn't you be more worried that Goff couldn't beat out Mannion as opposed to worrying about what the Bucs or Panthers think?

Yes. Actually, that does worry me. It doesn't worry me for Goff. It worries me that our Head Coach is so far behind the times that he's completely bungled this situation. And it's going to set our team back this season.(which might end up preventing them from making the playoffs...and guess what? This isn't the first time he's done this.)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing is certain, we're going to get a glimpse of what happens when you trot a QB on an NFL field when he's not ready.

There's no doubt in my mind the guy in Philly is in for a long afternoon, alas he gets a chance to prove me wrong.

The Rams can't afford to pee pee away wins while nursing a QB that most rational people know isn't quite ready just yet

Play to win, right?

If you really want to piss away wins, you'll start the less talented QB. That's a great way to do it.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I think we will win between 5-10 games with either of the QBs. I think there's a higher ceiling and a higher floor with Goff, so I would obviously go with him. Nothing I've seen so far changes my mind on that.

I'm not going to burn anything down, either way, I just think being overly-cautious with Goff based mostly on fluke mistakes is like tying an arm behind your back because you're worried you'll break it if you fall on your face.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
If you really want to pee pee away wins, you'll start the less talented QB. That's a great way to do it.

No one is questioning who's more talented, I was among the first on Goffs side from day one, but clearly ( to me at least) he needs a little more work, sending him out unprepared is a recipe for disaster. Can't blame Fisher for playing it safe, they are in a unique situation, most teams drafting number one overall are far less talented than this team.

The Rams feel they can win with Case, let's see how it plays out.

Goffs time will arrive soon enough