Jamon Brown taking 1st-team snaps at RT.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Honestly never really considered Brown as a tackle. Whatever gets the five best players on the field I don't care how it happens.

That's because he's not.
At least not at the NFL level.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I have been watching some game tape from last year
and was focusing on our o line.
My honest opinion is that I don't think Robinson can play either
tackle position.He was just looked really bad at times.He even looked
slow and cumbersome.over extending on punches.
If Kromer can fix him,he should get some coach of the year award.
As bad as Robinson was,he was not the worst.
Barnes .Wow.He was so so bad.

giphy.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:D

Jamon Brown was always a OT for his final 3 college seasons. 39 starts @ OT. He did start @ right OT for 13 games one season. Many scouts saw him as a OT but it was Paul Boudreau who inserted Brown in @ OG. I see no issues with this.

Last edited:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Man....that would be pretty bad if Jamon Brown beat out Robinson in OTAs...lol.

I think this is about motivation..or maybe GRob isn't in shape like they want..which again..if Brown is in better shape..that's pretty bad...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fine by me, whatever gives us a cohesive O-line that doesn't get Goff killed. The special treatment, courtesy of Fisher's country club atmosphere, left a lot of players playing like Jekyll and Hyde. I expect a consistent team with more competitiveness from within.

Ram65

Legend
Got to get the best players on the field and have backups ready to go. It's still a long way to the season opener.

fearsomefour

Legend
:D

Jamon Brown was always a OT for his final 3 college seasons. 39 starts @ OT. He did start @ right OT for 13 games one season. Many scouts saw him as a OT but it was Paul Boudreau who inserted Brown in @ OG. I see no issues with this.
I'm not a big fan of Brown based on how he looked when he was in. But, if he is healthy again there is no reason to think he can't develop.
I would be more interested in seeing Brown at RT then Grob at G.
Just to recap Snisher drafted a LT now at RT, a RT now at G and their G is at RT......just checkin.

fearsomefour

Legend
Got to get the best players on the field and have backups ready to go. It's still a long way to the season opener.
It will be interesting.
LT and LG would seem to be locked and that's it. A lot of interesting possibilities at the other spots.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I have no problem with them not handing the job to Greg Robinson, but seems odd to not have Jamon play RG and move Havenstein to RT, no? maybe it is simply to light a fire under Robinson's ass, but if he doesnt end up starting at RT, im not sure why you wouldnt want Havenstein back at RT where he looked really good his rookie year. but hey, what do I know

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Really?
I mean maybe he just thinks Brown is better...

I don't think Brown is the best ORT on the team. I think he was positioned as a guard because that is what he is. Coaches try to motivate players in many ways. GRob was demoted once Whitworth signed. McVay said he was being moved to ORT. Maybe he should have said it is an open competition, but he didn't. So, it sounds like GRob's job to lose. That isn't the best scenario, when you want everyone to work hard and show the new staff what you got.

You don't have to believe it, but I do. In the end they want GRob to earn that spot because he is much more athletic than Brown.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://m.therams.com/s/30854/409?itemUri=40892409/13157141411112562811332713313

Jamon Brown Takes First-Team Snaps at Right Tackle
2017-05-30 6:35 PM | Myles Simmons
Inside_OTAs00_00_29_20Still002-copy--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

There's a substantial amount of time between the Rams' fourth organized team activity practice and the team's Week 1 matchup against the Colts.

But there was a bit of a shake up on the offensive line for Tuesday's session, with third-year lineman Jamon Brown taking snaps with the first team at right tackle. Greg Robinson had been previously working at that spot, and head coach Sean McVay said the two players are challenging for the position.

"Jamon Brown is a guy who has competed really well. He's done a nice job competing at guard and at tackle. We gave him and Greg a chance to compete. And really excited to go back and look at the tape," McVay said on Tuesday. "But I think what we've seen from Jamon - really going back to last week - [are] a lot of encouraging things. And Greg's done some good things as well. So until I really see this practice, it's hard for us to say exactly how it went today. But I think it's good to let guys compete and see how they do."

According to McVay, Tuesday's practice was the first where Brown has taken snaps with the first-team offensive line. Brown said the opportunity only recently materialized.

"It was just kind of a suggestion last week, just because they're trying to plug in guys and evaluate guys at different spots and just play all over," Brown said. "And one thing that I thought about it was just kind of show the coaches and the team that I'm a versatile guy - I can play pretty much anywhere on the line. And that's my thoughts, just being able to plug wherever they need me."

The Louisville product said he didn't necessarily anticipate being asked to play tackle coming into the offseason program. But he did embrace being the swing offensive lineman - someone who could play any position when asked.

"I've been playing guard, I've been playing tackle, and I'm just trying to continue to build off that," Brown said.

But what got Brown elevated to taking first-team snaps at right tackle?

"I think what you like about Jamon is his demeanor. I think he's got a great disposition where he's willing to be coached," McVay said. "He's got good movement for a big, physical player. And when he gets his hands on people, he certainly does a nice job of securing the line of scrimmage - whether that's in the run game or in protection when he jump-sets people. But what he showed last week was very encouraging."

Brown admitted he has some rust to knock off when it comes to playing right tackle. He's worked exclusively as a guard - both on the right and left - since entering the league as a third-round pick in 2015.

"The majority of the stuff comes back pretty natural, just because that's what I had been doing for the four years that I was in college. So it's kind of easy to knock the rust off and get back to doing what I did," Brown said. "But it's been going pretty good. I don't think there's too much rust."

But there is an adjustment when it comes to playing speed.

"Being in the inside playing at guard, things happen a lot quicker, a lot faster. But once you move out to tackle, you kind of get on the island, and you start to play in a little more space," Brown said. "So just getting adjusted to the speed and how I encounter different guys on the edge and play different guys on the edge."

Brown taking snaps at right tackle does put back in place a partnership with a member of his draft class. He and Rob Havenstein came in as the club's right guard and right tackle, respectively. Now those positions are flipped.

"It's always good to be able to work back with Rob," Brown said. "It's been a little different, me being on the outside of him. We had kind of got used to him being on the edge and me being on the inside. But that chemistry that we have, we just fit right in."

And so while Brown has played himself into the mix at right tackle, nothing is set in stone - particularly because it's still the month of May.

"I think Greg's shown some good signs. Anytime that you transition from the left to the right, there is an adjustment period. It was good to see Jamon Brown, he's continuing to grow and improve," McVay said. "That's a position where we feel like we've got some good options at that spot. And we'll continue to evaluate that moving forward."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It will be interesting.
LT and LG would seem to be locked and that's it. A lot of interesting possibilities at the other spots.
Yes I see it this way too. If Andrew was to have health issues then Rodger who is working in tandem with the LT can easily slide outside. Give the left side(Blind) two of the teams most experienced OL & leaves the right side to be under construction.
I'm not a big fan of Brown based on how he looked when he was in. But, if he is healthy again there is no reason to think he can't develop.
I would be more interested in seeing Brown at RT then Grob at G.
Just to recap Snisher drafted a LT now at RT, a RT now at G and their G is at RT......just checkin.
Jamon Brown has had his issues with being healthy the first two seasons in the NFL, new for him for he was always healthy to start in college. After breaking his leg in game 10 of his rookie season it was reported that he was having health issues early in 2016 camp from the aftermath of that badly broken leg & it it set him back overall in his full conditioning last season. Then he broke his hand & had surgery mid season of last yr. The fact that Boudreau played flapjack with Jamon sure did not help him either. Boudreau 's flipping of Brown was insane:seizure:.

I wonder how healthy is Andrew Donnal after his hip surgery earlier this year....that could also be an element in this reported news that Jamon Brown seeing first team action @ RT. If Jamon Brown is not going to be one of the starters then widening Jamon's working posts ability beyond RG/LG only helps him make this roster. Brown has a ton more experience @ OT than Cody Wichmann who may be the best prospect to Cross-Train @ center.

If Kromer is happy with what he is seeing with Havenstein @ RG & top RT reserve Donnal is not healthy then getting Jamon some action @ RT might be a good ideal. You know my position on GRob for some time ....at best he will be Kromers #9 or #10 Ram OL'er on the roster if he makes the roster.

Ref to @Elmgrovegnome Jamon Brown comments..... I consider Andrew Donnal a viable starting RT candidate than Jamon Brown but Donnal may have been slowed down this off season due to that surgery. I would bet that Jamon Brown is much better on following Kromers instructions & directions than the alleged better athletic GRob.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes I see it this way too. If Andrew was to have health issues then Rodger who is working in tandem with the LT can easily slide outside. Give the left side(Blind) two of the teams most experienced OL & leaves the right side to be under construction.

Jamon Brown has had his issues with being healthy the first two seasons in the NFL, new for him for he was always healthy to start in college. After breaking his leg in game 10 of his rookie season it was reported that he was having health issues early in 2016 camp from the aftermath of that badly broken leg & it it set him back overall in his full conditioning last season. Then he broke his hand & had surgery mid season of last yr. The fact that Boudreau played flapjack with Jamon sure did not help him either. Boudreau 's flipping of Brown was insane:seizure:.

I wonder how healthy is Andrew Donnal after his hip surgery earlier this year....that could also be an element in this reported news that Jamon Brown seeing first team action @ RT. If Jamon Brown is not going to be one of the starters then widening Jamon's working posts ability beyond RG/LG only helps him make this roster. Brown has a ton more experience @ OT than Cody Wichmann who may be the best prospect to Cross-Train @ center.

If Kromer is happy with what he is seeing with Havenstein @ RG & top RT reserve Donnal is not healthy then getting Jamon some action @ RT might be a good ideal. You know my position on GRob for some time ....at best he will be Kromers #9 or #10 Ram OL'er on the roster if he makes the roster.

Ref to @Elmgrovegnome Jamon Brown comments..... I consider Andrew Donnal a viable starting RT candidate than Jamon Brown but Donnal may have been slowed down this off season due to that surgery. I would bet that Jamon Brown is much better on following Kromers instructions & directions than the alleged better athletic GRob.
Grob is a great athlete in many measurable ways. Size, strength, straight line speed. Guess what? Quick and Cook were very athletic as well.
The main issues I see with Grob is technique and balance. It's why I don't see him at G until those things improve. A G who gets over his toes and off balance gives a direct line to the backfield.
My concern with Havenstein inside is his height. Can he play with enough bend to not give up leverage? It's why you see as many 6' 2" Gs as you do 6' 4"....Havenstein at 6' 7" would seem to be at a disadvantage inside.
Wichmann, just in terms of the eye test, seems the best fit to cross at C.
So, a lot of competition on the right side. No idea if the competition at C is just for depth behind Sullivan or if there is someone who will challenge him.
Unless Havenstein locks down inside and someone really steps up at RT it looks like a two year fix on the right side.

fearsomefour

Legend
Of course I meant "Jamon" and I DEFINITELY think he is overall better than Robinson
In his time on the field Brown has been one of the worst lineman.
Gives up angles, little push in the run game, has trouble changing direction pass blocking, can't block on the second level.
Grob was not good either, but, had a few solid games at a tougher position. Saw nothin in Brown save for a couple of run blocks here and there.
In fairness to him some of his issues last year may have been health related. But like almost all of the Snead O line choices, he has disappointed.
Some of the early moves seem down right Coach Bo-ish. In particular moving Havenstein inside. I hope I'm wrong about Brown. I haven't seen anything to think he is ready to start anywhere. But, new offense, healthy leg and hand, new OL coach.....hopefully he gets it turned around.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Once again agree...on GRob if he can't give what Kromer wants from him now @ RT after 3 NFL seasons @ LT & his short time @ OT in college then it nots going to happen. GRob was born with physical gifts perfect to play NFL OT then a last ditch move to starting OG is sure not to be successful either. Kromer has a core cadre of starters @ OG's already assembled here early in Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, Wichmann & Donnal all of five Ram drafted OG's are under contract for the 2017 & 2018 seasons. There is zero need for GRob to be moved out of the RT post competition. So why do we hear the cry's to move GRob to OG?:thinking: Can someone help me out on this?

The ongoing main OL issue for McVay & Kromer is currently @ RT. Am I seeing it wrong? Sullivan looks like a lock @ OC, Saffold@ LG, Whitworth @ LT & Havenstein @ RG. So GRob is real lucky (once again) here where McVay has opened up a starting post. If GRob will give Kromer what he wants then he will start If GRob does what he has since his arrival here & does what he wants & fails to follow through then why would Kromer reward GRob & bump a better OL'er out of a roster spot so you can insert GRob in at OG just for Grob? GRob's contract concludes with this season. I do not have any feel good thoughts associated with GRob.

I have also have big concerns with Havenstein inside too but he may be able to be Alec Boone like too. The 6-8 Boone played OT for Ohio for 4 seasons in college & like Rob was 40 to 45 pounds way too heavy before reshaping his body & turn himself into a all pro NFL OG & he was about the same size as Rob.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again I feel good about the offensive line with the additions of Whitworth & Sullivan and of course Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer. OTA's and training camp is the time you work out your differences and put the best 5 offensive linemen on the field. I'm looking forward to preseason to get a look at everyone.