Jamon Brown taking 1st-team snaps at RT.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Why would he start to go left? He must have known it was a running play down the gut, surely?

Hence what has been part of the problem bro. No way he didn't know it wasn't going in the 1 hole. So stupid!

tempests

Hall of Fame
Why would he start to go left? He must have known it was a running play down the gut, surely?

I believe that clip is from his rookie year, hence the 79 he's wearing. He had been playing and practicing at guard for much of that year before the Jake Long injury.

He's made his share of mental miscues since then, but it's really not fair to skewer a rookie OL, let alone one as raw as he was.

Corbin

Wish I could do the same thing wrong for years and get paid millions... :p

Corbin

I believe that clip is from his rookie year, hence the 79 he's wearing. He had been playing and practicing at guard for much of that year before the Jake Long injury.

He's made his share of mental miscues since then, but it's really not fair to skewer a rookie OL, let alone one as raw as he was.
Dude he still makes the same mistakes! It's not like his rookie year and his last two are astromnomically different. The dude blows...... with a straw.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I think his best position is far away from the field. For this season, that is, since he comes with a huge dead space cap hit that means the team might as well try to keep him around and get his head screwed on straight. Next year when his cap hit is not an issue his best position will be the waiver wire.

I don't believe he is mentally in the game. Not only is he a dumb player, but IMO he's an excuse maker too and you can hear it in the interviews. Guys like that are never really going to get better because when you're a victim in your mind you'll never take a hard look at yourself and force the improvement that is required.

So the next move will be trying him at OG, where he will probably end up buried on the depth chart since you don't want a guy blowing assignments on the interior. I just have zero faith in the guy, obviously.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1781719-jamon-brown-impressing-coaching-staff

USATSI_8860985.jpg
Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
Rams' Jamon Brown making strong impression on Sean McVay
BG%20Headshot%20%281%29.jpg

BOB GARCIA IV

The third-year offensive lineman has already made his mark early on in the offseason team practices.

With OTAs underway for the second week, one of the developing storylines is the brewing competition at left tackle for the starting job between Greg Robinson and Jamon Brown.

Following the fourth official team practice of the offseason, head coach Sean McVay sounded quite impressed by the play of Brown on Tuesday afternoon to the point where he indirectly indicated that the former third-round pick of the 2015 NFL Draft has a chance to regain a starting job along the offensive line.

“When you look at it, Jamon Brown is a guy that’s competed really well. He’s done a nice job competing both at guard and at tackle," McVay said. "We gave him and Greg (Robinson) a chance to compete and really excited to go back and look at the tape. I think what we’ve seen from Jamon, really going back to last week, a lot of encouraging things and Greg has done some good things as well. I think it’s good to let guys compete and see how they do.”

The early expectation was that Robinson would man the starting job at right tackle after being moved from the left side due to the free agency acquisition of former Pro Bowl left tackle Andrew Whitworth . This also displaced Rob Havenstein to the inside starter's spot at right guard to make way for the shift along the offensive line.

However, it appears that Brown has made a much bigger impression on McVay than Robinson has in only four total practices, at least with the eyeball test.

“Today was the first day that he got some reps with that first group and I thought he did a nice job, just from what I saw out there," McVay said. "But again, the tape is always kind of the best thing to look at afterwards.”

Although it's still quite early in the offseason, Brown has at the very least caught the attention of his head coach that could go a long way in earning him playing time and possibly a starting job by the time the 2017 season swings around.

“I think what you like about Jamon is his demeanor. I think he’s got a great disposition, where he’s willing to be coached," McVay said."He’s got good movement for a big, physical player. When he gets his hands on people, he certainly does a nice job of securing the line of scrimmage. Whether that be in the run game or in protection when he jump sets people.

What he showed last week was very encouraging. Under (offensive line) Coach (Aaron) Kromer’s guidance, we expect him to improve.”

Bob Garcia IV is a staff writer of LARamsReport.com. You can follow him at @bgarcia90 and us on Twitter at @LA_RamsReport.

When I heard that guy sing...I figured he could play...that and when he ran after that int and broke his leg. Best man win I say...So does Goff

http://www.endzonescore.com/sean-mcvay-recent-comments-position/64395

Sean McVay sets standard in recent comments about tackle position
by Brendan Abban

The Los Angeles Rams new head coach Sean McVay has been at the helm for a few months now. A lot of his philosophies are becoming clear in this short amount time.

There is arguably no better example of this than the current position battle taking place at right tackle. The battle between former second overall pick Greg Robinson and tackle Jamon Brown.

Robinson has been going through a transition to the right tackle position. Due to his struggles at left tackle over the past few years. Transitioning from one side of the line to the other is no easy feat.

McVay acknowledges this during OTAs:

“I think Greg has shown some good signs. Any time that you transition from the left to the right, there is an adjustment period.”

While Brown is a third year player who appeared in 11 games last season and started in five.

He played multiple positions for the Rams last season. Positions including left and right tackle, as well as left and right guard. Brown played in a starters role for most of his rookie season but saw more time as a bench player last season.

His efforts in OTAs so far have not gone unnoticed by McVay:

“I think what you like about Jamon is his demeanor. I think he’s got a great disposition, where he’s willing to be coached. He’s got good movement for a big, physical player. When he gets his hands on people, he certainly does a nice job of securing the line of scrimmage”

With the circumstances as they are, it is easy to surmise that Robinson would be the starter. He is the player that the Rams need to pan out the most since they took him so high in the 2014 draft.

However, McVay put to sleep any notion that the position would be given to anyone. McVay had this to say concerning who would start at right tackle:

“When you look at it, Jamon Brown is a guy that’s competed really well. He’s done a nice job competing both at guard and at tackle. We gave him and Greg (Robinson) a chance to compete and really excited to go back and look at the tape.”

Both players will compete for the position. As a result, both players will have their chance to earn it. It is refreshing to hear such a position competition taking place.

On far too many occasions players get positions without earning them. Whether it be the result of a big contract, draft stock or marquee free agent.

However, this way the best player will play.

Brendan Abban is a staff writer for the Los Angeles Rams on Endzonescore and hosts the KBR Sports podcast. Follow him on Twitter @BAbban24 or email him via brendanabban24@gmail.com.

I see something...Greg "I don't wanna move to guard....":blah:
Jamon "I'll play anywhere coach....and sing a tune while I'm at it...":icare:

McVay :yess::party::banana:
See the difference?!?:football::yay:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good thought here flv! I been saying that if GRob does not win the starting RT post then he @best will end up being the #9 OL'er on the roster. GRob is far from being Kromer's top 3 reserve OL'ers. Kromer needs Swing OT, Swing OG & a very good reserve OC.

GRob most certainly can not be the top Swing OG nor the Reserve center leaving GRob the roster spot for the Swing OT position . Currently Kromer has probable starters @ LG & RG that are better & proven NFL RT's than GRob. Other solid valid starting RT prospects are Jamon Brown & Andrew Donnal both are under contract @ a low cost until 2019 GRob will be a UFA when this season ends.

Kromer already knows that GRob has no future in the NFL as a starting LT. Rams have Andrew Whitworth & old standby LT reserve starting LG Rodger Saffold both better options @ LT. Kromer also has two 2nd season LT's in Darrell Williams & Pace Murphy both were long term starting LT's in college. Both of these young OT's are low cost reserves. If GRob can not earn a starting RT post over Brown or Donnal his worth to Kromer falls dramatically to being a emergency reserve LT that's it.

Lets just say for the sake of a good guesstimate & say that Jamon Brown wins the RT starting post with Donnal being the main RT/RG/LG plus the emergency LT(as we seen last season position). Cody Wichmann should be the Swing OG including the emergency reserve center back up. Rookie Jake Eldrenkamp stands to win the top reserve center & emergency Swing OG. Then you are looking at Andrew Donnal as the #6, Cody Wichmann as the #7 & Jake Eldrenkamp as #8. What's left for GRob?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Currently Kromer has probable starters @ LG & RG that are better & proven NFL RT's than GRob. Other solid valid starting RT prospects are Jamon Brown & Andrew Donnal both are under contract @ a low cost until 2019 GRob will be a UFA when this season ends.
Solid logic. Even with the tutalage of Kromer, you doubt G-Rob can become as good as Saffold & Havenstein? Lets look forward here my fine southern friend...In 2 months time, Greg can't be as solid as Havenstein or Saffold as a right tackle? If not, we should trade him today.

Kromer BonifayRam already knows that GRob has no future in the NFL as a starting LT.
Fixed it for ya my man! LOLOLOLOL

I see you may have called this back in December...I'll wait until I see this line in pads b4 I come to any conclusions.(y)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure we have our long term solutions to the right side. Both Brown and Havenstein have shown flashes and have had injury issues. We'll see what the future holds but you gotta stay on the field first and foremost. That's at least one thing GRob has been able to do, the only thing good consistently.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

Greg Robinson displaying a "me-first" attitude,he has not embraced the (Right Tackle) transition

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Solid logic. Even with the tutalage of Kromer, you doubt G-Rob can become as good as Saffold & Havenstein? Lets look forward here my fine southern friend...In 2 months time, Greg can't be as solid as Havenstein or Saffold as a right tackle? If not, we should trade him today.

Fixed it for ya my man! LOLOLOLOL

I see you may have called this back in December...I'll wait until I see this line in pads b4 I come to any conclusions.(y)
Yep your right LACHAMP46 I have been on that lonely Island on GRob future here since about that time last year.

Ref. the Article you posted....I found this McVay statement “I think what you like about Jamon is his demeanor. I think he’s got a great disposition, where he’s willing to be coached. He’s got good movement for a big, physical player. When he gets his hands on people, he certainly does a nice job of securing the line of scrimmage”.....those at McVay words rang a bell with me. Does goes to the heart of GRob's issues. Yes I'm fully aware it still very early here. Kromer is sure loaded with right tackle prospects @ this time. Wait till Andrew Donnal gets fully back healthy too;).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I have been on that lonely Island on GRob future here since about that time last year.
Got one more for you to stew on...till I return...

I hope G-Rob...hell, all the players listen to McVay's "carom shots"...disposition...willingness to be coached...sounds like my daughter on travel balls problems...Think she knows everything, and is already pretty talented.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-greg-robinson-20170531-story.html

Rams offensive lineman Greg Robinson staying positive while competing for a starting job
by Gary Klein

He was the No. 2 pick in the NFL 2014 draft but has struggled with penalties and protection issues playing left tackle.

The Rams this offseason signed a three-time Pro Bowl player to take his spot, moved him to the right side and then declined to exercise their fifth-year option, a move that would have ensured him a roster spot — and a salary of more than $12 million — in 2018.

Through it all, Greg Robinson said this week that he remained positive.

“Whatever opportunities I have, I’m looking forward to my future,” he said after an organized team activity workout. “Hopefully, it’s with the Rams.
Robinson, McVay said, “has shown some good signs” and acknowledged there was an “adjustment period” when moving from the left to the right side of the line.

But he also praised the 6-4, 330-pound Brown, who played guard his first two seasons with the Rams after he was selected in the third round of the 2015 draft.

Brown played tackle in college at Louisville.

“You can see his athleticism and his strength,” McVay said. “That’s a position where we feel like we’ve got some good options at that spot, and we’ll continue to evaluate that moving forward.”

Brown said his background playing the position in college eased the transition from the interior of the line to the edge.

“The majority of the stuff comes back pretty natural,” he said, adding, “Kind of easy to knock the rust off and just get back to doing what I did.”

Robinson and Brown are competing to start opposite 6-7, 330-pound Andrew Whitworth. The 11-year veteran signed a three-year, $33.7-million contract to stabilize the line and serve as quarterback Jared Goff’s blindside protector.

Whitworth said he was encouraging all linemen, including Robinson.

“Just continuing to try and be a positive reinforcement in his ear, of developing and focusing and trying to get the best out of himself,” Whitworth said. “And really just more telling him, ‘Whatever I can do to help you.’ Any way, whatever that is.
“If it’s sitting out around afterwards and talking about the schemes. If it’s physically going through stuff. I mean, whatever it is I can do to help him and just being there for him, that’s it.”

Robinson will continue working at the transition to right tackle through the remaining five OTA workouts and during a minicamp in mid-June.

“In all honesty,” he said of the move, “I think it’s going to be pretty good.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

C'mon man, there's no trickery here. It's a basic run play and that's all he did in college. He's head just isn't in the game.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
"Before Los Angeles handed the reins to McVay, who may age at an accelerated rate during his first season at age 31, it had players displaying a “me-first” attitude. Greg Robinson started at left tackle for the Rams since the team took him No. 2 overall in the 2014 draft. He has not embraced the position, having suffered a temporary benching last The lineman indicated he’d be okay with a move to right tackle, but wasn't willing to consider a change to guard, as ESPN.com reported in January".http://nflspinzone.com/2017/05/31/los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-changing-culture-speed-bumps/