Jake Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Its all about the cap cost with Jake Long. We had many discussions here about this old war horse who is no longer what he was by a long way. Rams are is serious bad way in the OL. That fact may cause reality to set in. Barksdale who is not longer a Ram is hardly a solid ORT that will cost a lot more than he is worth. Long is no longer a OLT @ 10.5 million cost tag. Add the fact Rams do not have a legit ORT on the roster. Rams could use a stop gap ORT in 2015. Jake could be that player if he wants.

The thing I could hope for here is for the Rams to offer Jake a One yr deal & cost of approx. 4 million to play ORT or maybe OLG if he can? Jake Long would consider that an insult & a slap to his face. Not going to happen.

Bottom line here best to just separate on good terms & move on.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Its all about the cap cost with Jake Long. We had many discussions here about this old war horse who is no longer what he was by a long way. Rams are is serious bad way in the OL. That fact may cause reality to set in. Barksdale who is not longer a Ram is hardly a solid ORT that will cost a lot more than he is worth. Long is no longer a OLT @ 10.5 million cost tag. Add the fact Rams do not have a legit ORT on the roster. Rams could use a stop gap ORT in 2015. Jake could be that player if he wants.

The thing I could hope for here is for the Rams to offer Jake a One yr deal & cost of approx. 4 million to play ORT or maybe OLG if he can? Jake Long would consider that an insult & a slap to his face. Not going to happen.

Bottom line here best to just separate on good terms & move on.
If he was healthy I'd give him 4 with much in incentives to play next to GRob. But very doubtful he can play RT any better than LT at this point.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Cut and move on. His body is all used up IMO.

I would rather look at keeping Barksdale or giving Michael Roos a visit. He's injury prone, but cheap and they would be drafting a successor in April anyway. Good draft to be needing OL so hopefully the Rams can cash in and build some continuity and depth.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
nope i dont want him or Barksdale. Only 2 i want from2014 is Robinson and Saffold
You can't be serious, Barksdale is a solid RT who suffered from having an inferior RG lining up next to him. How soon we forget how good he was in 2013-14.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You can't be serious, Barksdale is a solid RT who suffered from having an inferior RG lining up next to him. How soon we forget how good he was in 2013-14.
Seems like a staple for Rams fans, wanting to get getting rid of a good player that suffered because of the trash around him because the 'grass is always greener." only for us to get an inferior product and then it was like nobody ever wanted them to leave.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Yeah, the slash and burn method along the line would be the equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
It wasn't pretty, but tried and true bodies are likely better than mid and late round rookies with no experience. Remember how exciting it was to watch Rok Watkins play? Oh that's right, it wasn't because he didn't.
I agree changes and upgrades need to be made, but you can't just let everyone walk over a rough season. I'd love to have Long back as a reserve, dude may be an injury risk but so is Saffold. I'd rather have Long waiting in the wings if he were needed than ________.

Price needs to be right for sure, but I'd take a healthy and willing Jake Long at a reduced rate. Wells on the other hand...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would of course disagree with the adjective used "Solid". JB is a solid run blocker but that adjective SOLID would not apply to JB's pass protection (particularity to 34 OSLB'er speed rushers).

I would contend that most of JB's issues occurred outside his right shoulder not to the left of him where Davin Joseph was performing. I will agree that Joseph was in a constant stressed situation on most all offensive plays. You were being very kind in your remark describing Joseph being inferior ORG.

In 2013 Barksdale & Saffold were a tag team starters @ ORT post. Saffold won back his starting post from JB who was sent to the bench when Harvey Dahl was injured very late in that game. Saffold was forced into the starting OG post for five games due to Shelley Smith's very poor play in place of Harvey.

I sure have no issues with JB being resigned @ a decent cost but that will not happen, but JB will NOT be Sam Bradford best friend on that OL in pass protection. Sam Bradford needs a much better pass protector @ the ORT post than JB.....much better! I should also say that I really like JB for being a general outstanding team player & a class act!(y) That does carry some weight with me BUTT! I have no questions that JB will preform much better with Saffold in full operation next to him but neither do i want to purchase a UFA ORT that needs help from another ORG to help him perform better I want someone who can tow & fully pull his own weight.

Then add to the fact JB is a ONE post non versatile OL'er who can not swing to OLT. Rams need to improve the play @ ORT & that's questionable with JB. Rams do not need more questions purchased in UFA with bundles of millions of cap $$$ we need answers.

Last edited:

lockdnram21

Legend
I would of course disagree with the adjective used "Solid". JB is a solid run blocker but that adjective SOLID would not apply to JB's pass protection (particularity to 34 OSLB'er speed rushers).

I would contend that most of JB's issues occurred outside his right shoulder not to the left of him where Davin Joseph was performing. I will agree that Joseph was in a constant stressed situation on most all offensive plays. You were being very kind in your remark describing Joseph being inferior ORG.

In 2013 Barksdale & Saffold were a tag team starters @ ORT post. Saffold won back his starting post from JB who was sent to the bench when Harvey Dahl was injured very late in that game. Saffold was forced into the starting OG post for five games due to Shelley Smith's very poor play in place of Harvey.

I sure have no issues with JB being resigned @ a decent cost but that will not happen, but JB will NOT be Sam Bradford best friend on that OL in pass protection. Sam Bradford needs a much better pass protector @ the ORT post than JB.....much better! I should also say that I really like JB for being a general outstanding team player & a class act!(y) That does carry some weight with me BUTT! I have no questions that JB will preform much better with Saffold in full operation next to him but neither do i want to purchase a UFA ORT that needs help from another ORG to help him perform better I want someone who can tow & fully pull his own weight.

Then add to the fact JB is a ONE post non versatile OL'er who can not swing to OLT. Rams need to improve the play @ ORT & that's questionable with JB. Rams do not need more questions purchased in UFA with bundles of millions of cap $$$ we need answers.
Bingo. Hes not that good in pass protection. i 1000% agree it wasnt all Joseph fault

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If keeping Long affects their ability to sign more quality linemen, then they should cut bait. Chances are he won't play a full season, then they're screwed because they couldn't afford quality depth. Long's injury problems aren't something new. He was becoming injury prone before they signed him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Barksdale might be gone in FA. Depends on what the market will pay him. Long, at least, is under contract. We have a bit more control there. I'll say this, Barksdale or a rehabbed Long aren't what I'd consider ideal at RT regardless.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
maybe starting guard or backup tackle if one goes down during the season. all depending on who we pick up in FA and the draft. too early to tell

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

His mechanics have really deteriorated. He can't bend his knees like he used to and he can't mirror defenders anymore. It started showing in the first couple of games last season.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Someone refresh my memory. Which O-linema(e)n whiffed his responsibility and got Bradford his second ACL tear?