Jake Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I was for bringing Long back at first, and I think he will be brought back at LG or RT,
But more I think about it I think it's a mistake. They keep bringing the same names back expecting different results. And bad is bad. Sign one top young Oline, center preferably.. The best. If it takes most of the free cap that's fine. Draft a another starter and a backup.
Time for new players.They can't be any worse. Other than GR and RS clean house.

If the Rams current plan doesn't work Sneed and Fish will get a one word reply at their exit interviews when they ask why?..... OLine.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
2 yrs ago I watched him get pancacked by linebackers and DEs. Last year was the same but he was hurt.. he had an excuse. PLEASE for the life of me don't sign him for anything... move him to G where big nasty DtS lineup right over him... no thanks! He couldn't even handle a bull rush from 260-70 guys now imagine an 300+ DT. It would be ojinaka all over again

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So here's my Oregon Duck draft report. The Rams should take a long hard look at Jake Fisher. The dude has very good size, that will be improved in a NFL style program instead of the system Coach Radcliffe uses. Bulk up Fisher another 15-20 pounds and he'll be perfect. Look at his combine numbers, a leader at most of his drills. He started as a Freshman which is unheard of at Oregon under OL Coach Greatwood. He was durable, the only time I recall him missing games was this year. He missed IIRC 3 games and the Oline fell apart without him. Immediately upon his return the Oline solidified once again. He'd be great moved to Right Tackle or a Guard spot.

Just as a reminder, my previous two years I suggested the Rams take Kiko Alonso LB (who was in the running for DROTK), and look hard at Taylor Hart, who really wouldn't have been a good fit because of the Rams depth at DL. Taylor was drafted by Phillie, and was on the scout team. He like most Duck linemen needed to shed their college strength and conditioning body for an NFL body. Completely different philosophies.
I liked Fishers combine..I also liked his play when he returned. I'd heard he was an ex-TE, and I thought I read he's had some concussions or back injuries....So, concerned is my initial feeling about the young man....

2 yrs ago I watched him get pancacked by linebackers and DEs. Last year was the same but he was hurt.. he had an excuse. PLEASE for the life of me don't sign him for anything... move him to G where big nasty DtS lineup right over him... no thanks! He couldn't even handle a bull rush from 260-70 guys now imagine an 300+ DT. It would be ojinaka all over again
Too funny, man I remember D Ware bulling him back, I doubt there are many DT's that generate that type of force/power, but I feel ya...kinda is a fall back plan depending on the draft.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So here's my Oregon Duck draft report. The Rams should take a long hard look at Jake Fisher. The dude has very good size, that will be improved in a NFL style program instead of the system Coach Radcliffe uses. Bulk up Fisher another 15-20 pounds and he'll be perfect. Look at his combine numbers, a leader at most of his drills. He started as a Freshman which is unheard of at Oregon under OL Coach Greatwood. He was durable, the only time I recall him missing games was this year. He missed IIRC 3 games and the Oline fell apart without him. Immediately upon his return the Oline solidified once again. He'd be great moved to Right Tackle or a Guard spot.

Just as a reminder, my previous two years I suggested the Rams take Kiko Alonso LB (who was in the running for DROTK), and look hard at Taylor Hart, who really wouldn't have been a good fit because of the Rams depth at DL. Taylor was drafted by Phillie, and was on the scout team. He like most Duck linemen needed to shed their college strength and conditioning body for an NFL body. Completely different philosophies.
I really love Fisher. One of my top OL in the draft. Don't think he'd work well for us though, he's not as "nasty" as Jeff Fisher would like

RamBill

Legend
Jake Long return to Rams remains possible
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16504/jake-long-return-to-rams-remains-possible

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Like quarterback Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams left tackle Jake Long is currently in the process of coming back from a second torn anterior cruciate ligament in as many seasons. Also like Bradford, Long is due a large salary cap number in 2015 and cutting him would provide the Rams with much-needed wiggle room heading into free agency.

Unlike Bradford, however, there haven't been as many open votes of confidence that Long will return to the Rams in 2015. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Long is due to count $10.5 million against the cap next season with a base salary of $9.25 million.

Releasing Long outright would save the Rams $8 million against the cap or as much as $9.25 million if they designate him a post-June 1 cut. Considering Long's recent injury history, releasing him seems like an obvious choice.

But at the NFL scouting combine, Rams general manager Les Snead acknowledged that dialogue with Long is also open and coach Jeff Fisher said that the Rams are discussing other options.

"There are possibillities, yes," Fisher said. "They've been discussed."

Fisher has already made it clear that Greg Robinson will stay at left tackle moving forward, meaning the options for Long are three-pronged.

First and foremost, Long's return would seem dependent on coming back at a reduced rate. The Rams figure to be up close to the salary cap, though they have ways to create space by releasing some players, Long included. It's unlikely, though, that Long would be able to come anywhere near his current salary if he hit the open market because of his injury history.

Which brings us to the next piece of the puzzle: where Long might fit in. Fisher has previously said Long could potentially move inside to guard but he could also become a candidate to flip to right tackle depending on what happens with unrestricted free agent Joe Barksdale. Barksdale will likely test the market and figures to draw his share of interest.

Of course, neither of those issues matters if Long doesn't return to health. There was a time when it wasn't even certain Long wanted to go through another rehab but he's been progressing recently.

"Jake's doing well," Fisher said. "You know he spent all the way up to a few weeks ago at the facility rehabbing. He's out in California working out and is doing well. I don't know what it looks like. If he comes back and is 100 percent then he'll have a chance to be a part and contribute to what we're doing. But there's some time between now and then."

Snead echoed those sentiments, saying that Long has "turned a corner" in the past month or so. Bringing Long back at a reduced rate wouldn't -- and shouldn't -- preclude the Rams from drafting a tackle this year if there was one they liked.

In two seasons in St. Louis, Long has been a valuable locker room guy and was helpful for Robinson in his first year. Even if he can't start, if he could be brought back to provide some veteran depth (assuming he's willing), it would give the Rams something they lacked in 2014. Last year, the Rams offensive line started the regular season without a backup with any meaningful experience.

"I can say this about Jake Long: you want that human being on the football team," Snead said. "He’s a football player, he makes you a lot better. As he rehabs, if he can get back to Jake Long previous knee, he can help the team win."

There are plenty of options for the Rams when it comes to Long's future with the team but it's a decision they'll have to make sooner than later.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes Jake Long could continue to play on that left side @ OG where he has played for over a decade in college & pro's but Jake would sure have issues holding up against those thicker shorter bigger stronger DT/NT's. How many of those body types has Jake line up on? Not a lot of tape to watch here so we have no ideal if that's a real reality post. Surely the strong side ORG post would be much harder than the left. So its possible but but highly UNlikely.

The biggest need that I see out there is @ the ORT post. Its highly probable that the Rams will use a first or second day draft selection on a ORT. Jake might/could be asked to start @ the ORT post until the rookie is fully ready. Thats a more likely senario, but @ a serious pay cut.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't know if Long could be talked in to a vet minimum contract and I doubt that the Rams would go that low however I just don't see him being much more valuable than that as a bench warmer. Why not have a younger guy that has at least some shot at a future in that role who can play ST?? I like the signing and I like the contract he got even more now that he has been down and out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......... Why not have a younger guy that has at least some shot at a future in that role who can play ST??.........
Agree 100%. But where you going to find one unless you draft one. If you want a good one you got to get him high in the draft...& thats very hard to do when been busy always drafting playtoy WR's plus fielding an offense that has the inability to get the ball into all these recievers hands.......

Irish

Starter
Jake Long is a cautionary tale at this point. If you like a guy, and he makes a lot of money, and he has a history of getting hurt, cut. him. now.

The NFL is a young man's game, and a healthy young man's game at that. You can find a guard in the later rounds of the draft who will give you comparable performance of a busted up Jake Long at 1/10th the cap hit.

The mark of a good organization is one that can elegantly thank a player for his service while admitting his time is up. Its what makes the baseball Cardinals so dominant year after year: develop serious minor league talent, and cut bait when they get too old or are too much of an injury risk. Don't go crazy in free agency, build through the draft, pay your performers, cut the players weighing you down.

Thanks Jake. Sorry it didn't work out.