Jake Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Someone refresh my memory. Which O-linema(e)n whiffed his responsibility and got Bradford his second ACL tear?

I'm not sure what your asking is applicable. It was a fluke play where he was still upright when the knee got locked. He would've been better off getting hit harder and lifted off of his feet.

SierraRam

Recreational User
People complain about Davin Joseph but he was a low risk signing.

I'm one of those people, but not because Joseph was a low risk signing, I complained (non-stop) because he was a high-risk guard! ;)

images
images
images

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm one of those people, but not because Joseph was a low risk signing, I complained (non-stop) because he was a high-risk guard! ;)

images
images
images
Yea, but injuries are the only real reason he played as much as he did. In everyone's scenarios of who they want to play the ol positions no one mentions a particular player for depth and insurance. Most people see the need to fill 3 holes (LG,C, RT) but in reality we need about 5 linemen for depth.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
He was ok in 2013-2014 but imo he was overrated then and now.
If they can upgrade at the RT position then fine, but I'm not going to say I don't want Barksdale back at right tackle. I'm completely fine with him there. Getting a new starting guard and center is what I'm worried about as far as the OL is concerned.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Yea, but injuries are the only real reason he played as much as he did. In everyone's scenarios of who they want to play the ol positions no one mentions a particular player for depth and insurance. Most people see the need to fill 3 holes (LG,C, RT) but in reality we need about 5 linemen for depth.

absolutely right! Our reliance on Long and Wells killed us. We need to draft and/or sign at least 4 (I'm holding out hope for Rhaney)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Depending upon the obvious things like his rehab and restructured contract...i'd be all in for having J.Long become our swing OT for a season or two off the bench.
I would NOT want him penciled in as a starter anywhere on the OLine from here on out.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

He's an average player at best right now, coming off back to back ACLs. He's not going to replace GRob at LT, and I'd rather draft a Guard and Tackle (or resign Barks) than have Long start at either spot. Pass

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
hmm coming back on the cheap would be good, but to play LG at best. I still think ensuring Barks is more of a priority, it would be kinda fun to see:

Robinson, Long, FA/Jones, Saffold, Barksdale

BUT - I would still go all out for Scherff in R1, just so that we have a plug-in when Long goes down....

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Freak ACL injuries are what we do well here at Rams central ;) I seriously think that IF Long is fully fit and rehabbed then he'll be a great pick up on a good pay as you play deal. He'd be good as our LG, along side Robinson or, as @Mojo Ram said, our swing OT. I can think of worse guys as back ups, we've employed most of them ;)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Dear lord it seems this team has been trying to field a consistent, healthy OL for the past 10 years........oh wait.....right. Unfotunately, I don't see us being able to get this line corrected this off season. Not enough picks, and currently not enough cash. If I am Snisher, I am looking very hard at G and C positions in this draft. Possibly with the first 2 picks. Maybe throw in a RT towards the end. That is assuming JB comes back, if he bounces, that strategy changes a bit, lolz. Either way, we need lots O help with that line.

BadCompany

Rookie
Can he play center?

Assuming they have no faith in the in-house options (and it looks like they don't) would having Long at center free up some capital, be it draft or otherwise, to fill the more sought-after positions of guard and (right) tackle? Long's body may not be able to keep up with the more athletic demands being a tackle or guard requires, but being a savvy veteran who knows the existing offense could he be a decent center? Compared to Wells anyways?

Assuming the massive pay-cut of course.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With regard to depth, at some point we have to consider that the Rams do have some young OL who might be able to step up. Teams rely on guys like them every year, and if they're not worthy of stepping in when needed cut them now.

Rams did have a castoff that played respectably for the Panthers last year. Also for all the flak he gets Jones looked very good in small doses when needed last year. I keep hearing you guys talk about depth but the Rams have depth, what they lack are quality starters. No team has quality starters two deep on the OL.

Athos

Legend
At the right price, bringing him back could be a big offseason move.

Big?

Hell no. I know it wasn't entirely his fault because of injury, I'm still irrationally pissed at him for his awful play this year and his part in Bradford re-injuring his ACL.

Long is over the hill and done. As the metaphor goes, he's the horse that needs to be taken out back and shot because he isn't useful anymore.

Appreciate his, early, time here, but.......the long ship has sailed.

Cut him, save money. And get a FA lineman much younger and much less injury riddled. He is out of a position now. And we'd be better off drafting an OG than moving Long inside.

Yeah, the slash and burn method along the line would be the equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
It wasn't pretty, but tried and true bodies are likely better than mid and late round rookies with no experience. Remember how exciting it was to watch Rok Watkins play? Oh that's right, it wasn't because he didn't.

Sorry, but no. It IS time to move on and mid and late round rookies (OGs at least) would be better.

Not to mention, regardless, how dumb Snisher would be for using premium, 1st and or 2nd round, picks on lineman. They've allowed the rash that is the oline to fester long enough. It's becoming a cancer. Only way you get rid of cancer is to remove that tumor if you can.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they can upgrade at the RT position then fine, but I'm not going to say I don't want Barksdale back at right tackle. I'm completely fine with him there. Getting a new starting guard and center is what I'm worried about as far as the OL is concerned.
Because sometimes a "Like" just isnt enough...
Great post and I totally agree

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And if one of our linemen get hurt? How do we get quality depth at the position?
In our current situation it would appear the only way to get quality depth at the OL positions i.e. ORT, swing OT, OLG & ORG is to utilize all of our very small number of our 2015 draft picks.

Rams may be forced to draw on the number of available reserve centers Snead & Fisher have collected to preform & play the center post. Snead may just need to concentrate on the other more priority issued posts in the OL.

Snead should be able to sign with very little cap ramifications the Rams main center reserve for all of 2013 & most of 2012 seasons in RFA the 26 yr old Tim Barnes. Boudreau has had TB with him now for all three seasons. Barnes is no greenieweenie here he has finished 6 Ram games as the starter plus he has seen action in 45 Rams games so TB has decent size being 2 inches taller & had a good 20 pounds on Scott Wells last yr. plays around 310 pounds. Snead has drafted two OL'ers on the third day of the last two drafts...Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney both are talented and could be worked in @ other positions too. So I am in a very small minority here that thinks the center post can go as is this season. Snead could also bring back another center candidate in Mike Person on the cheap.

The Org have investments in these three centers It would be foolish to not take advantage of these investments & get some dividends in return this 2015 season from these three. If one or two of these three are not worthy of continuing being a Ram after this season then move on from them & address it in the future 2016 draft.

I would suggest Snead to be looking more in the direction of ORT-Swing OT & OG's.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the love of god, get some youth on the line. Resign barksdale and draft a guard high. Add depth. That's it. Literally, that's IT
Yes!

To me, it's not that he could be had cheaply to me.... it's:
1] If anyone has concerns about Bradford's wheels, they should have three times the concern about Long.
He plays on the line, where bodies are flying all over the place.
The chances he'd make it through a season and be anywhere near 100% are, to me, almost zero.
2] Given that, I would not want to occupy a roster spot with a liability like that.

I agree with you!

Find a replacement.... a youngster that has promise. Not some old guy, coming off 2 ACL surgeries who showed he wasn't 100% last year after 1 surgery.

Time to Long to retire and the Rams to move on from him. Write it off as a questionable free agency acquisition.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I still think we have Center covered with Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney
I really hope so. It's depressing seeing other teams get by on the cheap or with rookies at center (NE, GB). Frustrating that the Rams can't seem to develop one. Why can't the Rams ever have nice things?

But if Coach Bou knows those guys aren't gonna cut it, I wouldn't mind investing in one of the two free agent centers. Despite the rookie successes I still think center is a position where veteran leadership counts for something.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still think we have Center covered with Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney

Based on what?

I really think we all (myself included) have this allure of the not yet seen. We see guys who are graded well in the draft and are ready to pencil them in as pro bowlers. Guys on our bench and/or practice sqaud are all of a sudden upgrades.

The coaches, meanwhile, actually get to see what these guys can actually do - and yet, they stay on the bench or are subjected to waivers.

It may be that the coaching staff is wrong - that they are just too loyal to the vets - or they over value experience - but the more likely scenario is that we are overestimating our alternatives.