Jake Long update?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
brokeu91 said:
I think what probably has happened (and this is a total guess) is that Long came in, had the huge physical exam. Then, once he got an offer from the Rams following the exam other teams started giving him offers thinking that if the Rams went through all that and are giving him an offer then he must be healthy. Then, teams started to try and get the Rams into a bidding war and the Rams were either unwilling/unable (due to cap limitations) to continue to bid. Subsequently Jake went home and will likely resign with the Dolphins who said they would match his deal.

The Rams were just doing due diligence, which is the very least I would expect from such a savvy front office. Jokers who are looking for a big payday they are not up to deserving need not apply. I thought Jake might be influenced by the fact that Fish is actually turning this team around, but he seems to place his priority on the quan.

bluecoconuts

Legend
jap said:
brokeu91 said:
I think what probably has happened (and this is a total guess) is that Long came in, had the huge physical exam. Then, once he got an offer from the Rams following the exam other teams started giving him offers thinking that if the Rams went through all that and are giving him an offer then he must be healthy. Then, teams started to try and get the Rams into a bidding war and the Rams were either unwilling/unable (due to cap limitations) to continue to bid. Subsequently Jake went home and will likely resign with the Dolphins who said they would match his deal.

The Rams were just doing due diligence, which is the very least I would expect from such a savvy front office. Jokers who are looking for a big payday they are not up to deserving need not apply. I thought Jake might be influenced by the fact that Fish is actually turning this team around, but he seems to place his priority on the quan.

Well money always matters, but the quality of a team also matters. The Dolphins had a solid year, and although I'm partial to the Rams for obvious reasons I can see what his logic would be. It's hard to leave the only team you've ever known after they had a pretty good year to a new place. Having to move your family, leave your friends, it's not always easy. Especially if the Dolphins can offer him more money or very similar money.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully Jake Long comes to his senses and makes the right choice to protect Sam. If he doesn't then it's fine, we'll be okay and in a few years when Bradford is holding the Lombardi he'll say "Shit I should have signed with them."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR RAM said:
I'm over it. Players let their agents do too much in terms of determining their lives. He wouldn't have spent three days in St Louis if we wasn't interested in signing. Why does everyone blame this on the Rams? If we weren't in the ballpark, he wouldn't have been here.

This whole thing screwed our free agency period so far. How can you offer other players, when most of your money is tied up in one guy.

You could have been loved as a Ram, but ultimately, you'll be hated now. I bet that he will sign back at Miami for less money than we offered him.

Moving on...
[hil]Let's take Vollmer from the Patriots and plug him in at RT. Saffold is a fine LT anyhow.[/hil]
[tweet]312658573828190209[/tweet]

Looks like the Rams are listening.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
I'm over it. Players let their agents do too much in terms of determining their lives. He wouldn't have spent three days in St Louis if we wasn't interested in signing. Why does everyone blame this on the Rams? If we weren't in the ballpark, he wouldn't have been here.

This whole thing screwed our free agency period so far. How can you offer other players, when most of your money is tied up in one guy.

You could have been loved as a Ram, but ultimately, you'll be hated now. I bet that he will sign back at Miami for less money than we offered him.

Moving on...

Let's take Vollmer from the Patriots and plug him in at RT. Saffold is a fine LT anyhow.
these guys still really are just kids.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Now the Dolphins O-Line are all tweeting how much they love Long and want him to be back in Miami. The numbers that the Dolphins are offering probably about the same, or maybe even a little less so their GM/Coach are telling them to give him a lot of love to keep him around. Smart play.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
DR RAM said:

Moving on...

Let's take Vollmer from the Patriots and plug him in at RT. Saffold is a fine LT anyhow.

Unfortunately, his wife Jackie won't give up South Beach, their country club membership and mojitos. :sly: Agree with your statement about looking at Vollmer at RT.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The same reasoning that applied to Amendola (time on the field) applies to Jake Long. If you're going to take a risk on a long-term contract, the player needs to respect a teams need to protect itself.

Maybe some of the Rams' concern leaked into the negotiations. I know I had concerns despite the passed physical. Players recover from injuries all the time ... and then something else happens.

paceram

Pro Bowler
MontanaRamsFan said:
DR RAM said:

Moving on...

Unfortunately, his wife Jackie won't give up South Beach, their country club membership and mojitos. :sly: Agree with your statement about looking at Vollmer at RT.

As disappointed as I am that Long won't be signing with the Rams (well, I guess that is not official but I will be shocked if he signs with the Rams and not the Dolphins!) I don't guess you can blame him for choosing to stay home! Sometimes I forget that these athletes also have Families and Homes and need & want to consider those factors when they chose their teams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[tweet]312865830138433536[/tweet]

paceram

Pro Bowler
There is a rumor that the Rams offered Jake Long a $50 million 5 year contract. IF, that is true, would you rather have Long for that price or would you rather see the Rams spend that money to get more free agents? If, the Rams felt pretty good about his health, as steep as that price is I guess I would choose Long since the LT position is so valuable and if healthy Long could be one of the best in the NFL. But, I am expecting an announcement today that he signs back with the Dolphins.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
paceram said:
There is a rumor that the Rams offered Jake Long a $50 million 5 year contract. IF, that is true, would you rather have Long for that price or would you rather see the Rams spend that money to get more free agents? If, the Rams felt pretty good about his health, as steep as that price is I guess I would choose Long since the LT position is so valuable and if healthy Long could be one of the best in the NFL. But, I am expecting an announcement today that he signs back with the Dolphins.

I would rather the Rams go in another direction, howeveer, they tied up quite a bit of time with Long and did it cost them other signings? Never been big on Long I did not think much of him watching the HBO series Hard Knocks..Now I realize you can take that with a grain of salt, but the injuries and the fact his wife kept tweeting was not impressive.

I realize it's a different time, but certain people need to learn that lose lips or fingers sinks sips...It amazes today how many people want everyone else to know their personal business.

But whom am I to judge? Jackie Long is hot and if I was 27 again I guess I would let her do what ever she wanted to do. :ww:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
paceram said:

I expect to hear he's signed with the Dolphins today too.

That's a lot of dough.

He's a damn good tackle.

I'm okay either way this goes.

The interesting piece is the guaranteed money. Which we'll know soon enough.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold's agent is looking like an ASSH_LE about now. Pouty little brat. Go jump off a pier you loser. Making threats detrimental to the team and now nothing is happening. Saffold is now on the FO and coach shit list and for no reason. You can say what you want, but I'm sure they did not appreciate the "trade me" crybaby baloney and I'll be shocked if the Rams negotiate at all when your contract is up. These agents need to think long term and not in the moment. Bad call dude.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
paceram said:

I prefer a better solution but I would have been OK with that contract but it would make things tight in the near future with the cap hit.

Rams have issues with the OL & specifically the OT's. Jake would have fixed three of the OT problems this season with one signing. Thats why I was fine with his signing. Now without Jake Long here Snead & Fisher must #1 Find a future starting OLT...#2 a future & present ORT and #3 a future & Present Swing OT. Thats a tall order !!!!!!Jake Long signing fixed most of those problems. With Long you fixed the present & future issues @ OLT. With Long you got a new ORT in Saffold that fixed the present issues. With Long you fixed your need for a swing OT who could swing from right to left...because you have Saffold who can swing. Then you can continue to develop Joe Barksdale for another yr. OT issues solved @ a cost of 50 million!

The 3 top tier OLT could be off the board by the 10 first selections. Vast drop off in the second tier Left OT's. one improvement has developed with the Right side OT's is the showing of DJ Fluker over the last month... So as Jake sailed off to the south humid sandy beaches back into the fishbowl Rams must go a new direction. I still feel the draft is the best long range plan to follow...So its back to the option board plans...

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
den-the-coach said:
I would rather the Rams go in another direction, howeveer, they tied up quite a bit of time with Long and did it cost them other signings? Never been big on Long I did not think much of him watching the HBO series Hard Knocks..Now I realize you can take that with a grain of salt, but the injuries and the fact his wife kept tweeting was not impressive.

I realize it's a different time, but certain people need to learn that lose lips or fingers sinks sips...It amazes today how many people want everyone else to know their personal business.

But whom am I to judge? Jackie Long is hot and if I was 27 again I guess I would let her do what ever she wanted to do. :ww:

Yep, she'd get it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
paceram said:
If that's really the deal, then I'm okay with the Rams FO. If Jackie & Jake are going to walk from that kinda deal, then what is the FO supposed to do?

paceram

Pro Bowler
interference said:
paceram said:
If that's really the deal, then I'm okay with the Rams FO. If Jackie & Jake are going to walk from that kinda deal, then what is the FO supposed to do?

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that the Rams (Fisher, Snead, etc) did everything they could possibly do (within reason) to come to terms with Long but there is a limit!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I guess the one point that no one has made yet is that I think the Rams still think they're in on the Long sweepstakes still. Seriously, the team has not scheduled any more interviews for free agents, including OT which is a huge need. I find it shocking that if the Rams didn't think Long was going to sign here, that they haven't startedon Plan B yet. Something makes me think the Rams still believe that there is a good possibility that they end up signing Long.

jap

Legend
brokeu91 said:
I guess the one point that no one has made yet is that I think the Rams still think they're in on the Long sweepstakes still. Seriously, the team has not scheduled any more interviews for free agents, including OT which is a huge need. I find it shocking that if the Rams didn't think Long was going to sign here, that they haven't startedon Plan B yet. Something makes me think the Rams still believe that there is a good possibility that they end up signing Long.

. . . or they are just playing the waiting game, while allowing salary expectations for remaining FA's to drop.

Speeps

Starter
The problem is, free agents aren't hearing numbers that they are liking. They are being forced to settle for less money than they would like. This is something that doesn't happen very often. I do think the Rams are still in play for Long, but I believe the Rams are waiting for that second, and even third wave to begin.