Jake Long update?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Those are his agents - Ben Dogra (left) and Tom Condon (right)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Things would seem to have taken a turn here...

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Dolphins are making a "strong push" to re-sign free agent LT Jake Long.
Long took an extended visit with the Rams this week. He met with the coaches, had a dinner, stayed the night and even passed a physical. But there's no deal yet, which suggests the two sides have been unable to come to terms on a contract. We now appear to be in a "bidding war" situation, something the Dolphins haven't been scared of this week. Mar 15 - 7:58 AM

I ready for This Jake Long Drama to conclude...as this drags on out with the Fins upping and upping the mark $$ I see Salary Cap Hell issues more & more with this mega million signing. Sorta looks like we are being drained here by the resentful angry mad fins org. time to move on :pissed: see ya Jake time.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long</a>

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Were we just a leverage chip in this thing? Oh well. Let's see where the chips fall (so to speak).

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Dolphins are making a "strong push" to re-sign free agent LT Jake Long.
Long took an extended visit with the Rams this week. He met with the coaches, had a dinner, stayed the night and even passed a physical. But there's no deal yet, which suggests the two sides have been unable to come to terms on a contract. We now appear to be in a "bidding war" situation, something the Dolphins haven't been scared of this week. Mar 15 - 7:58 AM

I ready for This Jake Long Drama to conclude...as this drags on out with the Fins upping and upping the mark $$ I see Salary Cap Hell issues more & more with this mega million signing. Sorta looks like we are being drained here by the resentful angry mad fins org. time to move on :pissed: see ya Jake time.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long</a>

I agree. Is anyone talking about using this Jake Long flirtation as a leveraging point to re-up Saffold?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OnceARam said:
BonifayRam said:

I agree. Is anyone talking about using this Jake Long flirtation as a leveraging point to re-up Saffold?

Hey no matter what happens with Jake Long Drama....I have no issues with trying to re up Saffold but one would think that due to the two year long injury history with Saffold it would be wise "Do Not Seek the Treasure" until Saffold finally completes his first injury free year since 2010. It was Saffold's back to back injuries & OL disruptions for Sam Bradford that has made this Jake Long Drama possible otherwise we would be looking at Saffold instead of Jake long.

bluecoconuts

Legend
[tweet]312600720564183041[/tweet]
[tweet]312600979361103874[/tweet]

I think we lost this one, if he's leaving without a contract, then it's likely we wont offer him what he wants and he's moving on. I guess we'll see, but I'm not quite as hopeful anymore.

paceram

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
[tweet]312600720564183041[/tweet]
[tweet]312600979361103874[/tweet]

I think we lost this one, if he's leaving without a contract, then it's likely we wont offer him what he wants and he's moving on. I guess we'll see, but I'm not quite as hopeful anymore.

I hope the Rams have or are in the process of scheduling other OT FA's for visits!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Fine with me if the Rams don't break the bank on this one. Saffold is an above average LT, and if we get some help at LG and RT, I think this line becomes a strength. Demoff is too smart to jeopardize the future by overpaying an oft injured player at a position that we are not necessarily lacking talent. Stay the course and sign FAs to reasonable contracts and build through the draft.

nighttrain

Legend
Faceplant said:
Fine with me if the Rams don't break the bank on this one. Saffold is an above average LT, and if we get some help at LG and RT, I think this line becomes a strength. Demoff is too smart to jeopardize the future by overpaying an oft injured player at a position that we are not necessarily lacking talent. Stay the course and sign FAs to reasonable contracts and build through the draft.
yup, you dont break the bank on a player unless you are very sure he plays, trust in Snead & Fisher
train

paceram

Pro Bowler
nighttrain said:
Faceplant said:
yup, you dont break the bank on a player unless you are very sure he plays, trust in Snead & Fisher
train

I certainly don't know what happened that caused Long and the Rams not to agree to terms but I have to admit that my first thought (And, I am probably totally wrong!) is that the Rams go used! My personal opinion is that Long never wanted to leave the Dolphins but if the Rams would overpay him then mabye he would go but if the Dolphins would match it he probably planned all along to re-sign with them. Again - This is just my personal opinion - And, Who knows (we may never know) maybe it was the Rams that called off the negotiations due to money, health, etc? And, I guess there is that 1 in a 1,000,000 chance that Long still signs with the Rams (but, I really don't like those odds!)!

A55VA6

Legend
Well that sucks. Now what do we do? Rams have basically done nothing in FA. We just kind of put everything on Long.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm over it. Players let their agents do too much in terms of determining their lives. He wouldn't have spent three days in St Louis if we wasn't interested in signing. Why does everyone blame this on the Rams? If we weren't in the ballpark, he wouldn't have been here.

This whole thing screwed our free agency period so far. How can you offer other players, when most of your money is tied up in one guy.

You could have been loved as a Ram, but ultimately, you'll be hated now. I bet that he will sign back at Miami for less money than we offered him.

Moving on...

Let's take Vollmer from the Patriots and plug him in at RT. Saffold is a fine LT anyhow.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
I'm over it. Players let their agents do too much in terms of determining their lives. He wouldn't have spent three days in St Louis if we wasn't interested in signing. Why does everyone blame this on the Rams? If we weren't in the ballpark, he wouldn't have been here.

This whole thing screwed our free agency period so far. How can you offer other players, when most of your money is tied up in one guy.

You could have been loved as a Ram, but ultimately, you'll be hated now. I bet that he will sign back at Miami for less money than we offered him.

Moving on...

Let's take Vollmer from the Patriots and plug him in at RT. Saffold is a fine LT anyhow.

Exact same thing happened with the Kings 3 years ago. LA was willing to break the bank on Kovalchuck, wined and dined him for 30 fucking days, and he decided to stay with NJ. He was just using LA to get more money from the Devils, and sure enough it worked. Obviously he had some interest in playing in LA, but he let his agent control it, and his agent wanted him in NJ (where he was closer to him) and the most money. In the end the difference between the money wasn't that big, and LA was closer to a championship than NJ was, but his agent made the call.

And you know what happened? 2 years later he went to the finals with the NJ Devils. And promptly got his ass kicked by the LA Kings. Karma's a bitch, we'll see the Dolphins in the Super Bowl in 2 years. If they're lucky enough to make it that far.

iced

bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:

Moving on...

Exact same thing happened with the Kings 3 years ago. LA was willing to break the bank on Kovalchuck, wined and dined him for 30 freaking days, and he decided to stay with NJ. He was just using LA to get more money from the Devils, and sure enough it worked. Obviously he had some interest in playing in LA, but he let his agent control it, and his agent wanted him in NJ (where he was closer to him) and the most money. In the end the difference between the money wasn't that big, and LA was closer to a championship than NJ was, but his agent made the call.

And you know what happened? 2 years later he went to the finals with the NJ Devils. And promptly got his ass kicked by the LA Kings. Karma's a bitch, we'll see the Dolphins in the Super Bowl in 2 years. If they're lucky enough to make it that far.

They won't - and they'll be in salary cap hell from all the spending they did this year.

I bet half of the guys they signed get cut the 3rd year into their deals

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I still hold that KD had a number he would go up to. It may have gotten to that number or it may have been a situation where KD saw that it wasn't worth playing all his cards.

I'm not sure if it is typical to have two agents in the room with one COO but I for one am glad that if it is two against one, that one is KD. The guy is the son of an agent and freakin' brilliant. I just don't see him biting at fake bait. A deal is either there or it isn't. With Long leaving town without committing, I'm guessing it's time to just move on and improve our team with another/other player(s).

We certainly need help on the line but not at the cost of mortgaging our future on potentially a Cadillac that could continue to be in and out of the shop. I'm sure Long was cleared physically before the last several times he was injured. How much money is left on the table because Dr. Anderson talked to Long and Jake said he feels fine? None of us know in depth the results of the Rams physical.

jap

Legend
Dammit! We need a solid OL so Sam can do his without undue concern for pressure or (worst) injury. Clearly, Jake is not really interested in winning if he prefers the 'Phins.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
paceram said:
nighttrain said:
Faceplant said:
train

I certainly don't know what happened that caused Long and the Rams not to agree to terms but I have to admit that my first thought (And, I am probably totally wrong!) is that the Rams go used! My personal opinion is that Long never wanted to leave the Dolphins but if the Rams would overpay him then mabye he would go but if the Dolphins would match it he probably planned all along to re-sign with them. Again - This is just my personal opinion - And, Who knows (we may never know) maybe it was the Rams that called off the negotiations due to money, health, etc? And, I guess there is that 1 in a 1,000,000 chance that Long still signs with the Rams (but, I really don't like those odds!)!
I think what probably has happened (and this is a total guess) is that Long came in, had the huge physical exam. Then, once he got an offer from the Rams following the exam other teams started giving him offers thinking that if the Rams went through all that and are giving him an offer then he must be healthy. Then, teams started to try and get the Rams into a bidding war and the Rams were either unwilling/unable (due to cap limitations) to continue to bid. Subsequently Jake went home and will likely resign with the Dolphins who said they would match his deal.