It's going to be hard to pass on Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
The major worry has to be at what point does Clowney decide that next year is more important than this one?
He doesn't. He knows that he has to play well on every down or he won't get a mega-millions contract once his rookie one expires.*

* please note that this hypothesis may be invalidated by the stupidity of NFL coaches and general managers.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The major worry has to be at what point does Clowney decide that next year is more important than this one? Using this year for an example does he check out after the 49ers game, we're 1-3 may as well save yourself for next year. How about after the Carolina game? We've just lost our QB, no reason to go all out against the Seahawks.

All due respect thats entirely different. The stakes have changed and clowney would never again have to worry about money or providing for his family. If he would have gotten seriously hurt going all out last season he would have just been that guy that used to be really good at football and that doesn't pay the bills.

All due respect thats entirely different. The stakes have changed and clowney would never again have to worry about money or providing for his family. If he would have gotten seriously hurt going all out last season he would have just been that guy that used to be really good at football and that doesn't pay the bills.

He has potential to make more money in the first year of his 2nd contract than his entire rookie deal, you're 100% confident that now he has money he won't mail it in to get more?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Watching this guy on YouTube and he is a rare prospect. Guys that big and strong shouldn't be able to move that quick and fast. To be able to pair him and Quinn together for 5 to 8 years would give us a dominating defense for a long time to come. I know he doesn't fit a need, but Adrian Peterson didn't fill the Vikings biggest need when they picked him either.

Adrian Peterson didn't have questions about his willingness to go 100% all the time. That dude was a psycho at OU, so much so he got hurt b/c of his play style. Which is what dropped him a few.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He has potential to make more money in the first year of his 2nd contract than his entire rookie deal, you're 100% confident that now he has money he won't mail it in to get more?
Well, he's going to have to show something in order to make that money in the 2nd contract.

Well, he's going to have to show something in order to make that money in the 2nd contract.

Something, but nothing stoping him from mailing it in for at least one season, if he can get drafted #2 overall by a team with zero need at DE on 2 out of 3 good seasons, then I don't see why his second contract would be any different.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No I'm not. You're 100% he will?

Plus I don't see how mailing it in would get him more money.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'd be more concerned about him playing up to his 2nd contract than his rookie contract! That contract is the one. Of course he might flame out in his rookie contract and be out in 2 years!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No but I'd have to be to take him at #2. He'll get paid if he has 2 or 3 good seasons in his first 4.

Theres no way to ever be 100% certain on what a guy will or won't do in the future man...

to your other point if he has 3 good seasons out of 4 he will deservingly get paid..right now our very own Robert Quinn has had 2 good seasons out of 3(one of which was great). If he does well again this coming year as I expect him to, he will be 3/4 and get paid. I don't see your point

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Thinking about it. Re-signing Saffold clears the way to take Clowney if the Rams want. They can get a ready to start guard in the 2nd or 3rd, sign a vet guard on a 1 year deal or let Jones have it. Can use #13 on CB/FS.The lack of love in FA for DB's says there going there often in the draft. But who knows a player could fall at another position at#13 the rams can't pass on. Same argument could be made for Watkins at #2.
The re-signing of Saffold alone changes the path of franchise going forward.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I get what you're saying and agree that he can't play the way he did this past season and have success in the NFL, but hear me out.

After his 2012 season Clowney already solidified being a high first round draft pick in the NFL, meaning he was about to reap the reward for dedicating his entire life to his craft, his family wouldn't have to worry about money anymore, etc. Only problem is, despite already being ready, theres that stupid 3 year rule that forced him back to college. So, IMO clowney doesn't have a bad work ethic, isn't lazy, its not that he doesn't care, he just didn't want to get hurt in this one meaningless year that could do nothing positive for him. It would be great to have seen him dominate this past season from a reassurance standpoint but I just can't say I blame the kid.

Imagine if you finally reached your highest goal in life that you've worked so hard to reach only to be told you have to risk not being able to make it 1 more year because of a technicality...Just food for thought and this is all my opinion but..i still see the dominant player from last year when i think of him as a prospect

That's fair. Its something to take into consideration - and I'd understand his point of view if that's why he did reduce his effort - but at pick number 2 in the NFL draft I wouldn't want to risk taking a guy who did have major question marks over his motor/effort/professionalism. I want to see a real desire to play the game - not just to take home a pay check. Look at guys like CJ1K. They have a great year when they're in a contract year - then go off the radar completely when they get paid! I hope Clowney isn't like this but I couldn't take the risk.

Its obviously something teams will have been trying to figure out like mad - and that's what the interviews are for. We haven't heard from him directly on that and I wasn't in the interview room obviously so I don't know how it went down or whether our guys bought in or not but just answering the question raised in the thread my personal opinion is that I would pass on him.

I'll probably look stupid in 10 years time when the guys a shoe in for the Hall of Fame so I'm glad its not my job to make these decisions!!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fair. Its something to take into consideration - and I'd understand his point of view if that's why he did reduce his effort - but at pick number 2 in the NFL draft I wouldn't want to risk taking a guy who did have major question marks over his motor/effort/professionalism. I want to see a real desire to play the game - not just to take home a pay check. Look at guys like CJ1K. They have a great year when they're in a contract year - then go off the radar completely when they get paid! I hope Clowney isn't like this but I couldn't take the risk.

Its obviously something teams will have been trying to figure out like mad - and that's what the interviews are for. We haven't heard from him directly on that and I wasn't in the interview room obviously so I don't know how it went down or whether our guys bought in or not but just answering the question raised in the thread my personal opinion is that I would pass on him.

I'll probably look stupid in 10 years time when the guys a shoe in for the Hall of Fame so I'm glad its not my job to make these decisions!!

Yup, I see where you are coming from and thats the other side of the question. Theres no way for us to know what really happened or why it happened. I just see it the way I described, and if thats the case, I wouldn't fault him one bit. But no doubt I have to acknowledge he might just be lazy.

One thing I know for sure is whoever we end up selecting I will immediately fall in love with and convince myself he will be a future HOF...just how I roll

Memphis Ram

Legend
OK? Remember when the Browns selected Courtney Brown number 1 overall? How'd that work out?

I mean, you could make a case that the Texans should have focused on their offensive line rather than QB or DE in that draft.

Wasn't Courtney Brown's career was cut short due to a chronic knee condition suffered during his sophomore season?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
My question, to all those who say Clowney takes plays off, what was his effort like in 2012 when he was punishing Olines, RBs and QBs? When most saw him as the freak talent he was?

To me, that tape should be the litmus to the player.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Wasn't Courtney Brown's career was cut short due to a chronic knee condition suffered during his sophomore season?
He battled injuries but played up until 2006 I believe.

That isn't the point. You can point to any single draft and say, "so and so took this player at this position rather than this player at this position, how did that turn out?"

Why don't we talk about the last 10 Super Bowls. Of the last 10 Champions 7 have had a 1st round QB. That seems more telling than whether someone took David Carr over Julius Peppers, once.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Of the last 10 Champions 7 have had a 1st round QB. That seems more telling than whether someone took David Carr over Julius Peppers, once.
That could easily be turned around: of the last twenty overall number one picks, only three have won a Superbowl with the team which drafted them.

Is draft position overrated?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That could easily be turned around: of the last twenty overall number one picks, only three have won a Superbowl with the team which drafted them.

Is draft position overrated?
I'd say more over valued than over rated. Which is why we turned that RG3 trade.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe.

It's all about projecting what these guys will be.

If Clowney turns out to be a HOF player, then history will look back on anyone who passed on him as wrong unless they get HOF players themselves.

So what is he? That's every GMs job to determine.

If Houston believes Clowney is that great of a player, and Bortles is just a good QB, then I don't see how they can pass on Clowney.

The Rams had a similar decision to make with Bradford and Suh. But Bradford was better than Bortles. It was close in terms of talent level between Sam and Suh.

In the case of Bortles and Clowney, it's not that close. Houston would be taking Bortles more out of desperation than the combination of player impact and talent level.

I hate to say it but a good NFL QB has a greater impact over a HOF DE.