It's going to be hard to pass on Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan making sense:
For every guy that praises him theres someone bringing him down saying he will be a bust for lack of work ethic. I get what you're saying but I could easily see him being one of the better DE's in the league, and that would be living up to his potential
Can't argue with that but I'm not willing to take that chance if I'm the GM. Not at #2. There's too much at stake here and too many real holes to take that chance.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll say it again...gonna be pretty freaking hard for me to be disappointed with the selection at No.2 overall.

Every time I watch video or read up on Clowney, Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews I end up enamored and think "we gotta get this guy". Then I do it for one of the others...
Same here. Some great talent to be had.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Watching this guy on YouTube and he is a rare prospect. Guys that big and strong shouldn't be able to move that quick and fast. To be able to pair him and Quinn together for 5 to 8 years would give us a dominating defense for a long time to come. I know he doesn't fit a need, but Adrian Peterson didn't fill the Vikings biggest need when they picked him either.

FRO, you always make a strong case but Robinson or Watkins will dominate too. And they fill an immediate need. Several experts note Clowney's baggage, but from what I see, he's going to be a great one. However, we already have a great DE (and a very good one too). We don't have a great receiver or O lineman.

Bottom line: we're likely gonna get a great player! I can't thank the Deadskins enough. Imagine how boring it would be right now without that #2 pick!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Can't argue with that but I'm not willing to take that chance if I'm the GM. Not at #2. There's too much at stake here and too many real holes to take that chance.
I like the idea of bpa at a position of need. Clowney is not in that position of need!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I definitely see where you are coming from it is a huge risk with such a prime pick, but then again, they all present risks. Personally, I think fisher would be able to keep him focused and working hard.

Alan

Legend
The fact that I desperately want to fill holes with studs at T/G, FS and CB affects my view about the probability of that. :LOL:

Clowney doesn't just need to be the BPA he needs to be the BPA by a wide margin over Robinson/Matthews/Watkins, personally I don't think he is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams have two defensive minded coaches leading the way and they can do things with clowney.

what things?

things, they can do things joey.

what things you heard?

things joey, things. they can do some things.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It certainly would be quite the get to come away with Clowney, he's a freakish talent. But it's hard to favor that over Matthews, a high 2nd and potentially another pick in the first 3 rounds in 2015.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Ah, tis the season for endless high light rolls

This is why high light rolls can be deceiving...they showed two plays against Mizzou. Those were the only two plays that he made the entire game. Otherwise it was like he wasn't even there.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I could pass on him. I could do so very easily. In fact I would pass on him and I would feel a wave of relief crash over me as I did so.

I know the arguments. Miss on a guy like Clowney who goes on to be a hall of famer and you look stupid. But for me, there are one or two red flags with the guy that really worry me. You can't ignore a lack of effort - and there were occasions where Clowney didn't just take plays off - he basically just stood up and said to the tackle/guard - don't bother trying to block me dude cause I'm chillin' on this one. You can't tell me that his natural talent is going to make him able to run over and round people without trying in the pros. He's going to HAVE to work hard to become an all pro and I worry that you cant teach effort. Either a guy has got heart or he doesn't and Jadveon Clowney doesn't look to me like he has.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong - good on him if he does, but I couldn't draft him because of that lack of a work ethic that I see in him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Minus a suitable trade down offer I believe the Rams should select Clowney, too. The guy looks like Jevon Kearse to me (and I'd guess Fisher might see the same) and he would be in a great locker room to help him along with Hayes, Quinn, and Long (for a long as he's there).

Press coverage with Long, Hayes, Quinn, Clowney (in place of Sims) rushing on passing downs in that 4 DE set could look like the Giants in the Super Bowl vs. the Patriots. Or the Seahawks in the Super Bowl vs. another high powered offense in Denver.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could pass on him. I could do so very easily. In fact I would pass on him and I would feel a wave of relief crash over me as I did so.

I know the arguments. Miss on a guy like Clowney who goes on to be a hall of famer and you look stupid. But for me, there are one or two red flags with the guy that really worry me. You can't ignore a lack of effort - and there were occasions where Clowney didn't just take plays off - he basically just stood up and said to the tackle/guard - don't bother trying to block me dude cause I'm chillin' on this one. You can't tell me that his natural talent is going to make him able to run over and round people without trying in the pros. He's going to HAVE to work hard to become an all pro and I worry that you cant teach effort. Either a guy has got heart or he doesn't and Jadveon Clowney doesn't look to me like he has.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong - good on him if he does, but I couldn't draft him because of that lack of a work ethic that I see in him.

I get what you're saying and agree that he can't play the way he did this past season and have success in the NFL, but hear me out.

After his 2012 season Clowney already solidified being a high first round draft pick in the NFL, meaning he was about to reap the reward for dedicating his entire life to his craft, his family wouldn't have to worry about money anymore, etc. Only problem is, despite already being ready, theres that stupid 3 year rule that forced him back to college. So, IMO clowney doesn't have a bad work ethic, isn't lazy, its not that he doesn't care, he just didn't want to get hurt in this one meaningless year that could do nothing positive for him. It would be great to have seen him dominate this past season from a reassurance standpoint but I just can't say I blame the kid.

Imagine if you finally reached your highest goal in life that you've worked so hard to reach only to be told you have to risk not being able to make it 1 more year because of a technicality...Just food for thought and this is all my opinion but..i still see the dominant player from last year when i think of him as a prospect

Memphis Ram

Legend
I get what you're saying and agree that he can't play the way he did this past season and have success in the NFL, but hear me out.

After his 2012 season Clowney already solidified being a high first round draft pick in the NFL, meaning he was about to reap the reward for dedicating his entire life to his craft, his family wouldn't have to worry about money anymore, etc. Only problem is, despite already being ready, theres that stupid 3 year rule that forced him back to college. So, IMO clowney doesn't have a bad work ethic, isn't lazy, its not that he doesn't care, he just didn't want to get hurt in this one meaningless year that could do nothing positive for him. It would be great to have seen him dominate this past season from a reassurance standpoint but I just can't say I blame the kid.

Imagine if you finally reached your highest goal in life that you've worked so hard to reach only to be told you have to risk not being able to make it 1 more year because of a technicality...Just food for thought and this is all my opinion but..i still see the dominant player from last year when i think of him as a prospect

And especially after watching teammate Marcus Lattimore blow his knee out and go from a potential 1st rounder to a 4th round pick the prior season.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
It certainly would be quite the get to come away with Clowney, he's a freakish talent. But it's hard to favor that over Matthews, a high 2nd and potentially another pick in the first 3 rounds in 2015.

Maybe.

It's all about projecting what these guys will be.

If Clowney turns out to be a HOF player, then history will look back on anyone who passed on him as wrong unless they get HOF players themselves.

So what is he? That's every GMs job to determine.

If Houston believes Clowney is that great of a player, and Bortles is just a good QB, then I don't see how they can pass on Clowney.

The Rams had a similar decision to make with Bradford and Suh. But Bradford was better than Bortles. It was close in terms of talent level between Sam and Suh.

In the case of Bortles and Clowney, it's not that close. Houston would be taking Bortles more out of desperation than the combination of player impact and talent level.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Houston took David Carr over Julius Peppers. How'd that work out for them?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Houston took David Carr over Julius Peppers. How'd that work out for them?

OK? Remember when the Browns selected Courtney Brown number 1 overall? How'd that work out?

I mean, you could make a case that the Texans should have focused on their offensive line rather than QB or DE in that draft.

The major worry has to be at what point does Clowney decide that next year is more important than this one? Using this year for an example does he check out after the 49ers game, we're 1-3 may as well save yourself for next year. How about after the Carolina game? We've just lost our QB, no reason to go all out against the Seahawks.