It is time to start featuring Gerald Everett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I've pretty much assumed Higbee starts over Everett due to blocking ability. He has a lot of blocking assignments in every game.
¯\(°_o)/¯

Then again at the beginning of the season I thought McVay would want to try to use Everett like he did Jordan Reed. That was an interesting adjustment.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't necessarily agree that "the dude flat out gets open." He runs good routes and creates decent separation but to me Everett is much better in and out of his breaks. Everett gets open far more I'd say and to me it's pretty evident because Higs seems contested on literally every catch. And he can NEVER come down with a contested ball to finish a play.

Right now I think Gerald is just too raw blocking in line to get all the looks. I'm sure his route running needs work too. I'd say Everett's athleticism and speed are what allow him to create more separation than Higs, but Gerald is a more inconsistent route runner and that's why Higs is still the #1. JMO
I don’t see why it has to be one or the other. McVay feasted on 2 te sets in Washington. Why not with BOTH of these guys?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I wouldn't necessarily agree that "the dude flat out gets open." He runs good routes and creates decent separation.....
Higbee does get open and that is why he is getting the targets.... and then he flubs the actual catch which is pretty important too.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why not with BOTH of these guys?
I would say because one as a rookie and he doesn't really know what he is doing and the other guy might have been overrated and has not really progressed at the rate you would hope for a second-year player.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would say because one as a rookie and he doesn't really know what he is doing and the other guy might have been overrated and has not really progressed at the rate you would hope for a second-year player.
Tight ends take longer to progress than other positions. And it was more of an advantage to NOT play for Fisher than it was for Higbee.
Imo there are unrealistic expectations on a glorified rookie himself

MachS

Hall of Fame
I don’t see why it has to be one or the other. McVay feasted on 2 te sets in Washington. Why not with BOTH of these guys?

Yea thats a good point. I think all of us assumed we'd be running more 2-TE sets. Not sure why that hasn't materialized.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am Everett's biggest fan, but it seems like the coaches see him more as situational player getting yac on shorter passes in the flat and a mismatch guy split out wide. Right now Higbee is also a better blocker. Higbee has shown alot of improvement as a blocker and it allows McVay to be more multiple with his calls. Although Everett is clearly the superior receiving talent, as a rookie he doesn't do enough in the more than a few facets of the game to give him heavy snaps.

Everett doesn't have the luxury Evan Engram has with the giants who have no healthy receivers, so Engram can just be a glorified every down WR like he was in college. Everett has alot more on his plate in terms of transitioning from a wing TE/WR in college to McVays expansive TE playbook. On the bright side Woods going down may open things up for Everett to be a glorified WR and you don't lose the better blocker in Higbee.

Yeah and I don't blame the coaches for seeing him that way, as he's a rookie. To date I fully understand what they've been trying to do with Higs, so not laying any blame or anything like that. Higs has a better grasp of scheme and can be counted on to execute a bigger variety of plays, and has done some good things in blocking (even though I wouldn't call him special in that way either as he gets trucked when he's not on the move at times).

This offense simply projects far better into a heavy-defense playoff environment when the TE position is producing, and providing the QB with a safety valve that can be counted on. That is a missing element with this offense. We lack size and hands in our receiving options and the fact that Everett might be ready to give us that in this critical stretch is something I see as enormously valuable.

Hopefully he will get a lot of looks in the slot in this game. Him coming on as an element in this offense would be enormously beneficial to our chances.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK, what is a JAG ?

The old Bill Parcells term meaning "Just a Guy." The types who are replaceable and who make up a big part of your roster.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This is our first shot at the playoffs in a long time.
We deserve it.
We need it.
We should do everything in our power to make sure we make the postseason.
I certainly hope this is the attitude of our front office.

You have to keep your hot streaks going any which way you can.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think all of us assumed we'd be running more 2-TE sets. Not sure why that hasn't materialized.
The tight ends are not ready.
That's why we picked up that fourth tight end from Washington. (Carrier?)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta give Higs some cred on his play today. He had a good game, that run was all effort and his hands looked good. Hope he keeps it up because we still need better play from the TE room for the playoffs.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Don't mind giving Everett some time to develop, he is a rookie at the TE position; it's a simple matter of scheming him to make chunk yardage at the moment. He'll have a full offseason after to learn blocking assignments and McVay's route tree, then we'll get him in full swing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just gonna quote this guy...
Both TE making impact yesterday, great to see