It is time to start featuring Gerald Everett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Honestly think we are missing Carrier. Higbee is being asked to play that role and he just isn't ready to have that plus on his plate.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Speaking of TE's.... Anybody know where Temarrick Hemingway is in his rehab from his preseason injury?

DeaconJones

Rookie
A couple of years ago there was an article published about rookie TEs. Seems not many have had big rookie seasons - 2nd year or later is when they flourish (like other positions I suppose). Higbee is much more involved this year than last, drops or no drops.

I expect perhaps Everett to have that same leap next season. Not sure he is ready yet. I agree that Higbee thus far has had more drops than you would want to see.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
To be exact:
* Higbee had 1 catch in 5 Targets for 5 yards
* Everett had 1 catch in 2 Targets for 8 yards
Dang! Was it that bad!

Maybe Everett should be seeing some more time if you can catch half of the balls because 20% ain't cutting it ----
Higbee.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speaking of TE's.... Anybody know where Temarrick Hemingway is in his rehab from his preseason injury?

Good question. He was placed on IR after the 3rd preseason game, and the word was he'd be out 8-10 games. So he should be at that point where he's due to come back soon I'd guess. Would be nice if someone in the press would ask that question.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Ya’ll need to chill. Higbee is fine. He’s very good up the seam and will get his hands settled.

I don’t understand why everyone gives Goff the benefit of the doubt but all the other players don’t get time to develop.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t understand why everyone gives Goff the benefit of the doubt but all the other players don’t get time to develop.

Can't speak for the others but for myself it's because great TEs will show season two. Great QBs need more time usually, where you won't know for sure until season four. We're in season two for both.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Can't speak for the others but for myself it's because great TEs will show season two. Great QBs need more time usually, where you won't know for sure until season four. We're in season two for both.
Disagree. Plenty of players at all positions need time to develop. It’s Higbees first year as a starter.

nighttrain

Legend
last season in Fishers offense was a loss for all concerned,
train

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Temarrick

IMG_1171.JPG

MachS

Hall of Fame
I’d love to see more of Everett too, but I get the feeling that if Mac thought he was up for it, he would get the P/T
Don’t know what to say on Higs, the dude flat out gets open. Frustrating as heck that he has some drops but you just can’t coach guys to get open like that.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that "the dude flat out gets open." He runs good routes and creates decent separation but to me Everett is much better in and out of his breaks. Everett gets open far more I'd say and to me it's pretty evident because Higs seems contested on literally every catch. And he can NEVER come down with a contested ball to finish a play.

Right now I think Gerald is just too raw blocking in line to get all the looks. I'm sure his route running needs work too. I'd say Everett's athleticism and speed are what allow him to create more separation than Higs, but Gerald is a more inconsistent route runner and that's why Higs is still the #1. JMO

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I am Everett's biggest fan, but it seems like the coaches see him more as situational player getting yac on shorter passes in the flat and a mismatch guy split out wide. Right now Higbee is also a better blocker. Higbee has shown alot of improvement as a blocker and it allows McVay to be more multiple with his calls. Although Everett is clearly the superior receiving talent, as a rookie he doesn't do enough in the more than a few facets of the game to give him heavy snaps.

Everett doesn't have the luxury Evan Engram has with the giants who have no healthy receivers, so Engram can just be a glorified every down WR like he was in college. Everett has alot more on his plate in terms of transitioning from a wing TE/WR in college to McVays expansive TE playbook. On the bright side Woods going down may open things up for Everett to be a glorified WR and you don't lose the better blocker in Higbee.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Ya’ll need to chill. Higbee is fine. He’s very good up the seam and will get his hands settled.

Legatron4 I always respect your posts and enjoy them. You know your stuff. What I am saying is it's WAY past the time for Higbee to be learning to catch a football.
"His hands will settle?" Really?
Are pro players really still learning better ways to catch a football?
I'm pretty sure if he can't catch by now, learning more plays in the offense isn't gonna change the dropsies.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Legatron4 I always respect your posts and enjoy them. You know your stuff. What I am saying is it's WAY past the time for Higbee to be learning to catch a football.
"His hands will settle?" Really?
Are pro players really still learning better ways to catch a football?
I'm pretty sure if he can't catch by now, learning more plays in the offense isn't gonna change the dropsies.
The NFL is probably the biggest leap in talent throughout sports from college to the pros. Of course they’ve all been catching footballs their entire lives. The difference is right now, he’s thinking so much about route running, blocking, assignments and other small faucets of the game that catching isn’t second nature yet. This is extremely common among young players.

In Torry Holts rookie season, I recall him having multiple drops. It’s just a mental thing that most players overcome. If not, they’re usually looking for work by their third season.

…..

Legend
Pretty rare to feature rookies at anything....let alone a TE

If you ask me its time to feature McVays propensity to feature everyone and showcase the arsenal. Spread it around, frustrate the defenses, find the weakness, exploit.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We don't know where he is mentally - they have a package of plays for him but he may not be ready to step in and be fully integrated in this offense from the neck up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty rare to feature rookies at anything....let alone a TE

If you ask me its time to feature McVays propensity to feature everyone and showcase the arsenal. Spread it around, frustrate the defenses, find the weakness, exploit.
Yes...It is the Rams greatest strength, I think offensively. We have Gurley, Kupp, Watkins, Everrett, and maybe Cooper who can run the routes and catch the ball. Too bad Woods is out, but make the the weak corner on the opposing team cover the featured player on the play...of course, other reads are included as secondary targets. Todd Gurley needs to have several targets a game. He is our BEST weapon, imo.