It is time to start featuring Gerald Everett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've been mentioning this now for a few weeks at least, that Higbee just isn't delivering what a McVay offense requires. He can't do it. One guy on him, in his grill, and Higs will drop seemingly half the passes thrown to him. It started and was noted in camp, continued in preseason and the regular season, and here we are TEN GAMES in to Higbee's second season and he's the same guy.

Higbee is a JAG.

Nobody is more disappointed in that than myself, but it is what it is. And when you look at this offense the TE position overall is nowhere near what it should be in production. Now, some of that has been made up by Gurley just like we saw Marshall eating up some TE type passing game/routes usage back in the day.

But when it comes to playing top defenses this offense is missing a big target over the middle. It's not there.

Enter Everett. He is our only hope of capturing that element at last for this offense, and putting them over the hump for being able to handle hostile playoff environments against disciplined and physical defenses. We are offensively what Seattle said we are: a finesse offense. Sure, we can run the ball well, but we don't have security blanket passing game elements outside of Woods. I do think Kupp is going to give us very good play down the stretch too from that perspective but vs top defenses we're going to need that "third kinda heat."

We need the TE position to step up. Higs ain't gonna do that. It has to be Everett. He has the hands, the elusiveness after the catch to make things happen off script. He can bring the ball in as a security blanket option when a DB or LB is hanging on him. Let's go McVay, end the Higbee experiment by radically increasing Everett's role in this offense.

It's time, IMO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks+for+listening+grandma+seen+this+floating+around+on+facebook_ad0de8_5572722.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d love to see more of Everett too, but I get the feeling that if Mac thought he was up for it, he would get the P/T
Don’t know what to say on Higs, the dude flat out gets open. Frustrating as heck that he has some drops but you just can’t coach guys to get open like that.

fearsomefour

Legend
I’d love to see more of Everett too, but I get the feeling that if Mac thought he was up for it, he would get the P/T
Don’t know what to say on Higs, the dude flat out gets open. Frustrating as heck that he has some drops but you just can’t coach guys to get open like that.
sure you can.....route running

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I suspect McVay has been waiting for Higs to put it together, while Everett performs that lesser role and learns the offense. But ten games in to his second season... I'm sorry but it's time to feature the kid and see what he can do.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll take my chances on the guy who consistently gets open getting over the drops.
Step 1: Get open
Step 2: Catch the ball

If you cannot master step 1, step 2 is irrelevant

Just needs more coaching and experience.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tight end takes a while to adjust to the NFL. Giving up on higbee and giving Everett more then he can chew would both be big mistakes

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tight end takes a while to adjust to the NFL. Giving up on higbee and giving Everett more then he can chew would both be big mistakes

Increasing Everett's snaps doesn't mean Higs doesn't play. Just means he's going to need to fight to regain his prominent role in this offense. Haven't looked at this week's snap counts but Higs has been over 50 in general while Everett has been around 20. Two weeks ago it was 54 to 20 for example.

I'd go with a significant increase in Everett's snaps, going with a closer to 50/50 split at a minimum. He brings two things Higs doesn't: hands and YAC ability.

Ram65

Legend
I don't know if Everett is ready. Higs is playing inline with blocking responsibility as well. Higs has to make the catches. Everett has been target much. I expected a few more.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Everett did pretty good in the colts game from what i remember, but ever since then he's been quiet.

I really wanna see these multiple TE sets that McVay used in Wash. I know we dont have a TE like Reed, but Damn, someones gotta produce.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know we dont have a TE like Reed, but Damn, someones gotta produce.

Everett does have some similarities to Reed. Hands and ability to track the ball in traffic. RAC which is huge in this offense, and where Reed is faster and more athletic Everett's a damn beast to bring down with natural tackle breaking and elusiveness.

IMO the natural order of the TE room is destined to have Everett on top. As his snaps increase we will see bigger returns in the on-field impact and right now it is badly needed.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I've been mentioning this now for a few weeks at least, that Higbee just isn't delivering what a McVay offense requires. He can't do it. One guy on him, in his grill, and Higs will drop seemingly half the passes thrown to him. It started and was noted in camp, continued in preseason and the regular season, and here we are TEN GAMES in to Higbee's second season and he's the same guy...

I'm 100% in agreement on this. Everette is already a way better pass catcher than Higbee. He needs more snaps and throws. He's a beast and he cannot be worse than what Higbee is doing.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Step 1: Get open
Step 2: Catch the ball

If you cannot master step 1, step 2 is irrelevant

Just needs more coaching and experience.

However, if you can't master step 2 at age 24 in the NFL ... then step 1 is irrelevant.
Higbee has dropped SO MANY balls. It's a legit problem.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If it was only that easy
I'll take my chances on the guy who consistently gets open getting over the drops.
Its only Higbee 2nd year, he's virtually a rookie too

Are we still counting last year as an offense?? All draftees from last year in my book are also rookies this year.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i like big E as musch as the next guy ....but there's a reason he isn't getting on the Field in place of Higbee ..maybe he isnt ready .. maybe Mcvay prefers Higs.... maybe Gerald isnt picking up the offense ...maybe his blocking sucks nuts

but face it boys the higs is the satrter until he isnt

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
At this point I'd rather see Mundt start over Higbee. Everett and Mundt is a huge upgrade over Higbee. Dude is not as reliable as most thought.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
In McVay and Waldron I trust - they see these guys day in day out, we know McVay is a huge Everett fan, so I'm sure he'll put him in when the time is right.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Bingo. Hell I'd like to see them feature Reynolds and Mike Thomas too.
They.are so fast and tall, excetera but if they're not ready.... they're not ready.

A bigger help for our offense is if McVay would be a more consistent play caller and stop relying on the pass so much.