Is Sam Bradford better than Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Again,I'm not comparing the two - hence why I threw out his injury history and just said "i'll let people make of it what they will"

but you can't ignore it in the same token - been on IR Twice in 3 seasons, already missed some game for a concussion.

he's not some iron man - but not saying he's gonna be in medical every day either...

and as i have pointed out - its our line that worries me...how many times have we been down to a 3rd or 4th stringer in the past 3 years because we can't keep a qb upright..
He missed ONE game in 2013 with a concussion ... they were in the playoffs. Last yr, 6 games with a broken clavicle. So ...let's see if that compares to keeping a guy who 1) never made the playoffs, but has missed 31 games in 5 yrs, who was owed $13 mil. this upcoming season with NO guarantee he would even make it thru one game (see last season) For a QB who has missed 7 games in 3 yrs, has led his team to the playoffs and comes in at $1.5 mil. this season .... That means we lose a high $$$ player who has played in just over 61% of his possible games to a guy who has started 28 0f 36 games in his career (he did not start 2012 as the starter) That is 8 games missed in 3 yrs.

now .. considering the whole thing ... one guy screams at me "injury prone". the other ... has had a couple injuries and none are considered to be a "problem". the other .. well ... he is one more knee injury away from being out of the league.....and the chances of that are at least 50/50.

i understand your point of trying to say that foles has missed some time... but it isn't near the class of Sam's injury history.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
EWBD Redux. :palm:

This will never get anywhere near that. Even I can understand the rams thinking here. Do I agree with it? No not really but I can understand why they did it. I could never understand why they were in such a hurry to kick Kurt to the kerb. And please don't try to explain it to me, that's where that debate started.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's a difficult question to answer: in Bradford there is a guy with the pedigree and arm talent above most competition, but he has injury issues. Also it was decided by "experts" that he had never lived up to his draft status and showed flashes of elite talent but couldn't produce consistently. In Foles there is a QB who has had success in a short career, but could be attested to a favorable system.

Since Foles plays for us I'm going to be the homer and say he is far and away the better QB. Again even if Bradford is healthy there is no guarantee that he would be an above-average QB, he was beginning to show his true potential in his final three games, but that was a long time ago, he's undoubtedly going to be rusty.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Madden gave Foles better overall stats, even throw power. I'm convinced Madden plays politics.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm beating a dead horse here but if you remove injuries from your evaluation, Bradford is by a fare margin the better QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Madden gave Foles better overall stats, even throw power. I'm convinced Madden plays politics.
I think Foles has a stronger deep arm, but Bradford has much more velocity. If that makes sense.
Like, you won't see Foles doing this:

sb8.gif

bskrilla

Starter
I think Foles has a stronger deep arm, but Bradford has much more velocity. If that makes sense.

sb8.gif
Jesus that throw makes me hard.

Even though I LOVE the trade, I miss Sam already.

MrMotes

Starter
I'm beating a dead horse here but if you remove injuries from your evaluation, Bradford is by a fare margin the better QB.

I don't know, healthy or not, in his 5 years Bradford has never come close to the season Foles had in 2013...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know, healthy or not, in his 5 years Bradford has never come close to the season Foles had in 2013...
While true, he's also never come close to being in a Chip Kelly offense before.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Just curious. What are the things he's never been able to do?

1. Stay healthy

2. take calculated risks and be less conservative

3. there is/has been talk about difficulty reading defenses (IMO backed up by the struggles he had making line calls in McDaniels offense)

4. put up good to excellent YPA

5. throw 30 TD's

He's going to have to do these things in Philly or Kelly's house is going to get burned down. CK staked a lot on this deal, and it wasn't a popular move with fans and for all we know the FO might even be wondering WTF he just did and why they gave him full power over personnel. If Bradford is just average, which he has been most of his career IMO, or goes down with an injury for several weeks (and if it's his knee again the media will feast on that) this will be a black mark against Kelly with the owner of the Eagles.

@A55VA6 I agree he is too conservative and the NFL is currently set up to favor the QB's and type of offenses that are a bit more wide open.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

sb8.gif

If you watch a Foles highlight vid you'll see him make a ton of throws like that. Somewhere on YouTube is a clip of all 27 of his TD passes from 2013 and some of them were throws that were just outstanding.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. Stay healthy

2. take calculated risks and be less conservative

3. there is/has been talk about difficulty reading defenses (IMO backed up by the struggles he had making line calls in McDaniels offense)

4. put up good to excellent YPA

5. throw 30 TD's

He's going to have to do these things in Philly or Kelly's house is going to get burned down. CK staked a lot on this deal, and it wasn't a popular move with fans and for all we know the FO might even be wondering WTF he just did and why they gave him full power over personnel. If Bradford is just average, which he has been most of his career IMO, or goes down with an injury for several weeks (and if it's his knee again the media will feast on that) this will be a black mark against Kelly with the owner of the Eagles.

@A55VA6 I agree he is too conservative and the NFL is currently set up to favor the QB's and type of offenses that are a bit more wide open.

1. Yes, that's why they shipped him out.

2. Yes but as many have said that could be a function of the defensive minded coaches calling the shots. When he had to sam could sling the ball and do it well. His passer rating was excellent in the 4th qtr.

3. For the love of.....2011 was a cluster fuck of a season from the very beginning. The lockout really put the offense behind the 8 ball. They hardly had a chance to learn it before the real bullets started flying and the oline was ill equipped to handle the 7 step drops.

4. Yes that is perplexing. Easy to understand the first couple of years But I thought he turned the corner in 2013. We never got to see him really let it rip for the rams.

5. He was on pace to do it in 2013 before that unfortunate incident.

If he can stay healthy he will rip the league a new arsehole in Kellly's offense.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
And there were those who thought Kurt Warner 1st year was a fluke too, especially after his 2nd year starting was a significant drop off.
Here's the thing, Foles actually put up those numbers, against real NFL defenses. No hypothetical, no data massaging.
Doubt he'll ever come close again but its in the books as his upside.

Yeah, I vaguely remember that CFL QB, in his rookie year he took the Rams to the NFC championship game....
I'll never hear the term "Kidney Stones" without thinking of him
That's all true, but here's the thing. His two starting WR were Maclin and Desean Jackson, his OL was phenomenal, and he had Shady McCoy running like crazy that year. Not to mention that the system was very QB friendly. The next season when McCoy didn't do as well and Jackson left look how his numbers dropped, even in that same system

The Rams have nothing like the OL that the Eagles had, and though I do like Britt and Quick, I think both Maclin and Jackson are better than him. I see his numbers being much, much closer to 2014's numbers than 2013. In effect basically a slight upgrade over our 2nd string QB.

If Bradford had the supporting cast and system that Foles did, he would have put up at least similar numbers

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
1. Yes, that's why they shipped him out.

2. Yes but as many have said that could be a function of the defensive minded coaches calling the shots. When he had to sam could sling the ball and do it well. His passer rating was excellent in the 4th qtr.

3. For the love of.....2011 was a cluster freak of a season from the very beginning. The lockout really put the offense behind the 8 ball. They hardly had a chance to learn it before the real bullets started flying and the oline was ill equipped to handle the 7 step drops.

4. Yes that is perplexing. Easy to understand the first couple of years But I thought he turned the corner in 2013. We never got to see him really let it rip for the rams.

5. He was on pace to do it in 2013 before that unfortunate incident.

If he can stay healthy he will rip the league a new arsehole in Kellly's offense.

#3 this reading defense stuff is all myth, Bradford was the one teaching the offense during the lockout. It was the receivers who were not up to speed. Bradford's college coach said he was great at reading defenses and making quick decisions.

Also, in 2011 Saffold didn't play well and eventually Bradford got hurt. He did struggle when he came back, he couldn't move and plant.

Regardless, Bradford is an Eagle. And I am excited to see Foles. Rams did what they had to do and were able to get a starting qb and a #2 for Bradford. And as I said those who said he had no trade value have egg on their face. And I am partially in that group. I didn't think he was worth a late #1. In my mind, I thought maybe a conditional late #2. Anyway, all of us who underestimated Bradford's value were wrong.