Is Sam Bradford better than Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm sorry for starting another Bradford/Foles thread but I think I need to for my own sanity.
Because...

image.png

It's been absolutely wild how many people have been talking up Sam Bradford all over the place lately. The past 2-3 years our beloved Rams have been criticized for not dumping Bradford earlier and now Bradford is being talked about as if he's destined to have an All Pro year.

I think we have a better idea of who Bradford is than most people. Many of us have been hoping that it will all click and he'll be right up there with Brady, Brees, Manning, and Rivers. It's been 5 years and I think he's more like Alex Smith than those elite guys.

I think at the bare minimum Nick Foles is a solid quarterback. He's not going to be a liability for our Rams. He had a lot of pieces in place, primarily LeSean McCoy was unstoppable, in 2013. Through the 8 games Foles started the Eagles were 6-2. Of those games, the only terrible game in my opinion was the one against the 49ers. It certainly didn't help that they had no running game against the 49ers. Also, Foles was very close to leading them to 7-1. That throw to Matthews just led him out of bounds.

I look forward to seeing Foles in action this year and I don't believe anyone accidentally throws 7 touchdown passes in a game.

Apologies again for another Bradford/Foles thread.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Foles has plenty of ability, but I think Bradford has insane upside, much higher than Foles. Just has to stay healthy.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Yes Bradford is a better QB than Foles, we may look back at this trade and regret it in the end.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At this point in their careers I will take Nick Foles hands down!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yes Bradford is a better QB than Foles, we may look back at this trade and regret it in the end.

Never look back Rams needed to make this trade and let's see how this plays out first we can always look back, but I would rather move forward!

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Bradford' talent was always under utilized in St Louis and his injury issues have damaged his stock for sure but if you want to know what other teams think the Eagles couldn't trade Foles and get a 3rd round pick and teams were offering 1st rounders for a fragile Bradford. That goes to how much talent they have and even takes into account Bradford's injury history.
Nuff said! Bradford > Foles.......in St Louis it might end up being Bradford = Foles since the run first system asks a QB to manage the offense not BE the offense.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Id rather have Foles starting than any of these rookies in the draft but im still not sure id rather have Foles over Bradford. If Bradford had to go I think this trade is about as good as we could have hoped for.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
It's new toy syndrome. As others have stated, we (the Rams) were chastised for holding on to him because of his potential. And now Mr. Whiz bang guy, Chip Kelly has acquired him, the only media thoughts go back to that wonderful potential. But just like any new toy. If it doesn't do the job as well as the old one (even if it's not his fault......) The boo birds will be out in force. especially in Philly. Just remember, east coast media builds up their guys.......and then will dismantle them at a scary pace.
The other side of the coin. Foles only has to show up and be better than our backups the last few years, to be considered successful. (In the eyes of the media around St. Louis....)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The best ability to durability and availability - Sam's worst traits.

So, yes, Foles is MUCH better.

Even when both completely healthy, Foles has shown to be better thus far.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Can't really answer that unless you're on the field. Talent wise Sam is better. But if you can't stay on the field it doesn't matter.

I would take a full 16 games with Sam over Foles if healthy.

But you know. IF's and buts were candy and nuts....

V3

Hall of Fame
I want to watch Foles more to make a definitive answer but I never felt that Bradford was very good at going through his progressions or sensing pressure. Never using the pump fake also drove me nuts. We'll see what Foles can do.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Regardless of what Sam does with the rest of his career, the Rams had to make a move. You can't keep a guy on the team who you are always worried about going out for a long time. And no matter what anyone says, most Rams fans would be waiting for the next time he went down to happen. With his injury history, we couldn't continue to pay him that salary and hope he doesn't get hurt. But what if we kept him this season and he had a great year? Then we would have to pay him a lot and keep hoping those injuries are behind him. I think in the end, Foles and Bradford will have similar careers. I think Bradford has the most upside, but I don't think he will fully realize it. So at this point in time, I'll take Foles who has shown to be a very good qb at times. A broken collarbone is one thing to come back from. Two ACLs on the same knee is another. I wish Bradford the best but I don't see him having a long career in the NFL like some other qb's have.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Both are injury prone, so all being equal and they were to play an entire season, I think Bradford is the better QB and I think the gap is fairly large. 2014 Foles is closer to the truth than the 2013 Foles IMO.

As for this season, I think this move had to be made. The Rams needed to move on from Bradford, I think it was good for the Rams and probably good for Bradford. Outside of Bradfords rookie season, nothing really has gone right for him. Getting Foles and better draft picks was a good return for the Rams.

For the Rams we have a fresh start, some pieces in place and if they can rebuild this oline Foles could have some success, but I truly believe the search for our QB will still persist, which is fine since we never addressed it when Bradford was here.

For the Eagles, this is a lottery ticket for them. If Bradford stays healthy and picks up the system he could be great for them.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Both are injury prone, so all being equal and they were to play an entire season, I think Bradford is the better QB and I think the gap is fairly large. 2014 Foles is closer to the truth than the 2013 Foles IMO.

As for this season, I think this move had to be made. The Rams needed to move on from Bradford, I think it was good for the Rams and probably good for Bradford. Outside of Bradfords rookie season, nothing really has gone right for him. Getting Foles and better draft picks was a good return for the Rams.

For the Rams we have a fresh start, some pieces in place and if they can rebuild this oline Foles could have some success, but I truly believe the search for our QB will still persist, which is fine since we never addressed it when Bradford was here.

For the Eagles, this is a lottery ticket for them. If Bradford stays healthy and picks up the system he could be great for them.

Foles is injury prone based on what? Last year? No, he's not nearly there yet.

Anyways, I liked Bradford but I am not looking back one bit. I don't care if he lights up the NFL next season, the fact remains that the fans of the organization he plays for have to hold their breaths on every single snap in fear of him going down for the season for whatever reason. He has way more upside than Foles, but the likelihood of losing him for an extended period of time is way higher as well. Give me a solid QB who can stay on the field. It's the old "one bird in the hand" thing for me.

Big Game

Living The Dream
At this point in their careers I will take Nick Foles hands down!

I have to agree I would take Nick Foles hands down right now. For just about 5 years we all watched Bradford hoping that first he stay healthy and second that he mature as a QB. People tend to forget that Sam at times stared down his first read and missed some wide open guys at times. I'm not bad mouthing Bradford but those are facts. Does he have more upside then Foles? Yes but the question is can he stay healthy he has yet to do that so for my money i'm with Foles. And believe me i was a Bradford supporter.