Is Sam Bradford better than Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles had two games last year where he sucked. Both against NFCW teams, SF and AZ. But honestly Bradford hasn't looked great against top defenses either and has had several really bad days against the NFCW.

I don't think you were wrong about BS, and I don't think much will be left to the imagination after this season is closed. I don't even know what he does in Philly........he sure isn't designing and calling plays since Kelly does that. So who knows what his role is.

You really like Bradford, I'm lukewarm on him. I propose a death match with papier mache swords and armor. No hair pulling allowed. :whistle:

Foles played reasonably well against Arizona. Made some bad decisions but as a whole, I felt it wasn't a bad day. The Jaguars were team that he was jaw droppingly terrible against.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Somewhere along the way of your reply you fused Schotty and Shurmur into one coordinator. Like Shurmenheimer or something. That's scary.

I wouldn't say I really like Bradford either. I did have a lot of time and research (including making videos) invested in his time here, but only because some of the arguments against him were bordering on stupid. And not just stupid, but like a mutation of stupid where stupid fell into a drum of nuclear waste and developed super-stupid powers. Once he left, I was like, "Meh. Lemme go look at this Foles kid on NFL Rewind and see what's up."

OK well have you ever seen BS and PS in the same room together? Don't you think it's a bit too convienient that they are never "seen together".

Maybe they are the same guy.

ram007

Starter
Does Nick Foles throw to the spot (anticipated throws) or to the player. I think Bradys, Mannings throw to the spot not the player. If Nick Foles is doing that we have a steal fellows. Can one of you with access to NFL Rewinds, please throw some light? Thanks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does Nick Foles throw to the spot (anticipated throws) or to the player. I think Bradys, Mannings throw to the spot not the player. If Nick Foles is doing that we have a steal fellows. Can one of you with access to NFL Rewinds, please throw some light? Thanks.

Shows the ability to throw with anticipation...but wasn't consistent with it in 2014.

ram007

Starter
Shows the ability to throw with anticipation...but wasn't consistent with it in 2014.

Thanks. Hope he masters that skill. That is one of the best traits of a good QB.

If Foles improves his foot work, learns to slide in the pocket and can make throws just before the receivers break for the route, then super bowl here we come!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
No that record is not bad at all. He took his high octane offense and plugged it into some very good personnel. It is hard to believe that the Eagles had McCoy, Jackson, Matthews, Cooper, Ertz, and Maclin all on the same team. Throw in a good Oline and adding Sproles and that is a high power offense with or without Kelly. However, if you look at the Eagles record in the first season you can see that they mostly did their damage against poor defenses and the better defenses beat them.

I am always a skeptic to new ideas in the NFL because it is really difficult to truly have new ideas this far into it. I also think that NFL defenses will catch up to any scheme eventually. The zone read was a problem for most teams until Fisher started beating it and other teams followed.

Time will tell. But Kelly bragged how he can put anyone in his offense and the offense will succeed. Now he is trying to find the 'right' guys to play it? It already sounds like the NFL is making him rethink himself.

True. But overrated or not, 20 and 12 speaks a little better than 13 and 19.
He'd better abandon that plug any player and play mentality though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
True. But overrated or not, 20 and 12 speaks a little better than 13 and 19.
He'd better abandon that plug any player and play mentality though.

I think he is already starting to question himself. He did actually say that he would put all of his money into the defense because he can get anyone to run his offense. Like I said it doesn't seem he feels that way anymore. That idea probably holds true in the NCAA. Those defenses are usually not filled with dominant players, especially in the PAC.

As for the records......Remember that 20 and 12 in the NFC East is hard to compare to 13 and 19 in the NFC West, without your starting QB. Its all perspective.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Foles played reasonably well against Arizona. Made some bad decisions but as a whole, I felt it wasn't a bad day. The Jaguars were team that he was jaw droppingly terrible against.
He nearly pulled off a win in Arizona. Matthew just happened to land out of bounds.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think he is already starting to question himself. He did actually say that he would put all of his money into the defense because he can get anyone to run his offense. Like I said it doesn't seem he feels that way anymore. That idea probably holds true in the NCAA. Those defenses are usually not filled with dominant players, especially in the PAC.

As for the records......Remember that 20 and 12 in the NFC East is hard to compare to 13 and 19 in the NFC West, without your starting QB. Its all perspective.

Not that I disagree, but 10 years of "perspective"? Every year it's a different reason why we aren't as good as everyone else. Kelly may very well be getting cold feet, he just let a lot of talent go away. And maybe defenses are catching up. But at least he's had some success. If he's smart enough to modify what doesn't work he'll probably continue that. The book on how to stop our offense was written 25 years ago. Hopefully our new OC will bring a little imagination.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean the first game of the season?
He was awful in the first half
2nd half of that game? 15/21 164 yards and 2 td o int
He was also really good against the Giants, started the game hot 14/21 177 yards 2td and 1 int on a misfire with Mccoy

Seemed to me last year that Foles played his worst when they were leading and trying to run clock. Like the Rams game

Here's what I take out of last year, Foles had good mojo with Zach Ertz and Riley Cooper. He's not afraid to go deep.
We've got the guys to replace them, in fact upgrade from them in Kendricks, Cook and if used properly, Tavon Austin
If they run some screens with Tre, they could feast there since Foles wont be afraid to test deep and open up that short stuff

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean the first game of the season?
He was awful in the first half
2nd half of that game? 15/21 164 yards and 2 td o int

His second half numbers are misleading. Wasn't good in the second half either. A big chunk of that came on a long TD to Maclin where the Jaguars blew the coverage and left him wide open. Foles was really bad in the first half. Inexcusably bad. He settled down a bit in the 2nd but he was still all over the place with his decision making.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not that I disagree, but 10 years of "perspective"? Every year it's a different reason why we aren't as good as everyone else. Kelly may very well be getting cold feet, he just let a lot of talent go away. And maybe defenses are catching up. But at least he's had some success. If he's smart enough to modify what doesn't work he'll probably continue that. The book on how to stop our offense was written 25 years ago. Hopefully our new OC will bring a little imagination.

Well if the Rams were in the NFC South last year they possibly win the division and by not putting into perspective people would just see them as division champs. I think it makes a big difference where you play. That could mean 8 wins in a bad conference, or 8 losses in a really good one.

I am just not a believer in Kelly. I need to see how he does with 'his' team and see if he has any long term success. He is already being called, by some, a genius. I think that is something you have to earn, and maybe he earned it at the college level but the NFL is a different game. Eric Mangini was regarded as a genius once too. So, I will lean towards the negative side on Kelly until I am convinced. The first season doesn't count because it was like when the Read/Option was first introduced and teams had to figure out how to defend it. Last year was probably more indicative of what they are with Kelly. Good, not great in a so so conference. Is that equal to genius? Not in my book. Maybe I should live in Missouri because I want him to show me.

I still predict that he returns to college in two more years.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well if the Rams were in the NFC South last year they possibly win the division and by not putting into perspective people would just see them as division champs. I think it makes a big difference where you play. That could mean 8 wins in a bad conference, or 8 losses in a really good one.

I am just not a believer in Kelly. I need to see how he does with 'his' team and see if he has any long term success. He is already being called, by some, a genius. I think that is something you have to earn, and maybe he earned it at the college level but the NFL is a different game. Eric Mangini was regarded as a genius once too. So, I will lean towards the negative side on Kelly until I am convinced. The first season doesn't count because it was like when the Read/Option was first introduced and teams had to figure out how to defend it. Last year was probably more indicative of what they are with Kelly. Good, not great in a so so conference. Is that equal to genius? Not in my book. Maybe I should live in Missouri because I want him to show me.

I still predict that he returns to college in two more years.

I'm not a believer in Kelly yet either, but I do think his first two years warrants some measure of atta boy. No, he's no genius, but he's certainly more creative than anyone we've had in the building for years. Besides, 2014 was also 10-6 wasn't it? Despite injuries to starters and using castoff QBs. A QB many here panned as worse than our backup. 10-6 is 10-6, and a whole lot better than years of, "well we would have been better but the division, but the refs, but injuries, but QBs," and so on.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm really interested to hear from camp/pre-season etc as to what kind of work he's doing with Wienke. I'd love to see Foles become more consistent with the anticipation throws - but that's also something that comes with working with receivers and gaining trust doesn't it? Sure his mechanics can do with a bit of polish - but they're pretty solid for the most part and he seems (from what I've seen) to have a good arm.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His second half numbers are misleading. Wasn't good in the second half either. A big chunk of that came on a long TD to Maclin where the Jaguars blew the coverage and left him wide open. Foles was really bad in the first half. Inexcusably bad. He settled down a bit in the 2nd but he was still all over the place with his decision making.
Yeah he was bad in the first half of the first game. So were many other QB. He was pretty good in the 2nd half, minimizing his td pass is silly. He recognized the blown coverage and made the throw. Jax couldn't stop Philly in the 2nd half, because of Foles

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah he was bad in the first half of the first game. So were many other QB. He was pretty good in the 2nd half, minimizing his td pass is silly. He recognized the blown coverage and made the throw. Jax couldn't stop Philly in the 2nd half, because of Foles
This is starting to look like one of the many Bradford debates I've seen before.
One poster tearing him down, the other lifting him back up.

It's like Deja Vu all over again.
-- Yogi Berra

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is starting to look like one of the many Bradford debates I've seen before.

-- Yogi Berra
Yup, that's pretty much how its going to go I suppose. I'll stick with the "supporting our guy" role.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

-- Yogi Berra

I'm going to call a spade a spade. Always did the same thing with Bradford. If I think he performed poorly, I'll say it. Don't care what the stats say.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The guy played poorly against Jacksonville. It happens. I'm not going to blow sunshine up his ass when he doesn't play well.

He was TERRIBLE in the first half of that game. He came out in the second half and started out poorly against. He turned it around and had a great drive that resulted in the Ertz TD. And then the Jaguars inexplicably left Maclin wide open and Foles hit him for a long TD. I'm not going to pump a guy up for being able to find and hit a WR with nobody around him for 20 yards streaking down the middle of the field.

He played badly in that game. And it was a shocker because the Jaguars aren't exactly a good defense.(although his OL did not play well either)

I gave him plenty of credit when he was good...I'll give him plenty of blame when he's bad. That's how I treat every other Rams QB.

Last edited: