Is Sam Bradford better than Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This really is the million dollar question. Why doesn't Bradford attack defenses more aggressively?

Kurt Warner has basically said Bradford just doesn't have the balls. But you see him make that throw you posted and you wonder why doesn't he do that more often? Why so many dump offs and sideline throws that often go safely out of bounds?

You think it's scheme but then you see Kellen Clemens come in and almost exclusively attack the middle of the field, very un-Bradford like.

If Bradford is a little gunshy, well that's coachable. Whereas Rams coaches might be telling him it's never a mistake to opt for the safer throw and any drive that ends in a kick is a good drive, another coach might have a whole different take watching film.

It's going to be really interesting to see how Bradford does in Phili...
You're right... it will be interesting.

If their Oline is healty... with Murray in the backfield, a decent WR corp and offensive minded coaches, if he was ever going to thrive, this seems to be the time.

Got to figure Kelly did his due diligence and, of course, Shurmur knows Bradford's capabilities. Clearly, they think he can perform at a higher level than Foles did last year.

Of course, it all remains to be seen. Of course, he has to remain healthy.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Big salary + injury history vs small salary + injury history + draft picks tells me Fisher needed to make the trade. The trade allows him to fill more holes with the extra cap space, additional picks and a QB with decent stats. IF (big if) Bradford can stay healthy, I think he is a slightly better QB than Foles. Chips system surprised a lot of teams in 2013...not so much last season. The OL has a lot to do with how well/poorly either of these QBs do in 2015.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IDK 20 wins vs 12 losses with a playoff berth first two years isn't bad. He's going to prove a lot this year either good or bad. Barring injury of course. Always got to include that with You Know Who at QB.

No that record is not bad at all. He took his high octane offense and plugged it into some very good personnel. It is hard to believe that the Eagles had McCoy, Jackson, Matthews, Cooper, Ertz, and Maclin all on the same team. Throw in a good Oline and adding Sproles and that is a high power offense with or without Kelly. However, if you look at the Eagles record in the first season you can see that they mostly did their damage against poor defenses and the better defenses beat them.

I am always a skeptic to new ideas in the NFL because it is really difficult to truly have new ideas this far into it. I also think that NFL defenses will catch up to any scheme eventually. The zone read was a problem for most teams until Fisher started beating it and other teams followed.

Time will tell. But Kelly bragged how he can put anyone in his offense and the offense will succeed. Now he is trying to find the 'right' guys to play it? It already sounds like the NFL is making him rethink himself.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On top of the Bradford trade Chip Kelly sent McCoy to the Bills for Alonso.

Just so I'm not going crazy, Chip Kelly really did straight up trade LeSean McCoy to the Bills for Kiko Alonso? Kelly also traded Foles, 2015 4th, and 2016 2nd to the Rams for Bradford a 2015 5th round, and conditional 2016 pick?

I think I would be able to wrap my head around this if both Alonso and Bradford didn't suffer ACL tears before the season started last year.

Both trades seem lopsided to me. Both the Bills and the Rams won in my opinion. The Bills get a back that is shifty and if his play doesn't decline he will likely be enshrined in Canton one day. The Eagles get a 3rd year linebacker that is coming off an ACL tear. He also has a history of making poor life decisions. I'm surprised the Eagles don't get any draft pick compensation on top of Alonso.

Rams get Foles, upgrade their 5th to a 4th and get a 2nd next year for Bradford. Not only do the Eagles get Bradford, who hasn't played in over a year, they inherit his contract.

IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!!!!! NONE OF IT MAKES ANY SENSE!!!!!!! SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE SOME SENSE OF THIS!!!!!! CHIP KELLY TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE THINKING!!!!!!

Rant over

Kelly believes that his strength and conditioning program can enable those two to stay healthy. I think that is wishful thinking, but Maclin did stay healthy all of last season after having two ACL tears.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're right... it will be interesting.

If their Oline is healty... with Murray in the backfield, a decent WR corp and offensive minded coaches, if he was ever going to thrive, this seems to be the time.

Got to figure Kelly did his due diligence and, of course, Shurmur knows Bradford's capabilities. Clearly, they think he can perform at a higher level than Foles did last year.

Of course, it all remains to be seen. Of course, he has to remain healthy.

Kelly has had 3 QBs and all 3 have gotten injured. It surely will be interesting to see what happens with Bradford. Not to wish ill on Sam but if he goes down to yet another injury Rams fans will all be letting out an audible sigh of relief that the trade happened.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Kelly believes that his strength and conditioning program can enable those two to stay healthy. I think that is wishful thinking, but Maclin did stay healthy all of last season after having two ACL tears.
Believe might not be a strong enough word for that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You mean his 27 TDs against the Raiders vid?

Actually, I saw that moments after he was signed. And no, there's none of that.
But don't' get me wrong. I'm excited he's our QB and I've been studying him a lot.
There's nothing wrong with comparing strengths and weaknesses. I'm not holding onto a Bradford crushing or anything, ya know.

OK I get calling me on the use of "never", it was over the top, but it is true he is going to have to do a lot more than he has ever done in his career in order to assure Kelly is safe from bodily harm. Foles can and has made throws like the one you referenced. IMO he's an upgrade, a clear upgrade actually.

@RamseyF remember..........they took the line calls away from Bradford because he wasn't doing well, he was not very good at it and part of that comes from pre snap reads.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
@RamseyF remember..........they took the line calls away from Bradford because he wasn't doing well, he was not very good at it and part of that comes from pre snap reads.

maybe you could provide evidence. Never saw that published. Anywhere. The recievers were having proplems wth that offense, not Sam.
the Bradford not able to read defenses is a internet board myth. Sam came into NFL and was rookie of the year. He has one of lowest interception percentages ever. You cannot do that without being very good at reading defenses.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
maybe you could provide evidence. Never saw that published. Anywhere. The recievers were having proplems wth that offense, not Sam.
the Bradford not able to read defenses is a internet board myth. Sam came into NFL and was rookie of the year. He has one of lowest interception percentages ever. You cannot do that without being very good at reading defenses.

You have Google, look it up. I'm sure most people knew that the line calls were taken away, if you didn't know just google it. It was no secret.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OK I get calling me on the use of "never", it was over the top, but it is true he is going to have to do a lot more than he has ever done in his career in order to assure Kelly is safe from bodily harm. Foles can and has made throws like the one you referenced. IMO he's an upgrade, a clear upgrade actually.
I'll meet you half-way. He's a clear upgrade over any backup we've had here in the past several years. I can't tell you he's an upgrade over Bradford until I see him operate in this offense - specifically against our division. I don't know if you have NFL Rewind, but you could check out his game against the 49ers to see how he handles pressure. That 'highlight' video you referenced is nice, but did you notice how open those receivers were in it? I don't know about you, but that was eye-opening to me. Maybe I was wrong about Schotty to some degree.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
You have Google, look it up. I'm sure most people knew that the line calls were taken away, if you didn't know just google it. It was no secret.
i did google it. its not there. Maybe I missed it, but if tghat happened it has to be somewhere. If you can find it, let me know, because I tried and found nothing about that.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
I'll meet you half-way. He's a clear upgrade over any backup we've had here in the past several years. I can't tell you he's an upgrade over Bradford until I see him operate in this offense - specifically against our division. I don't know if you have NFL Rewind, but you could check out his game against the 49ers to see how he handles pressure. That 'highlight' video you referenced is nice, but did you notice how open those receivers were in it? I don't know about you, but that was eye-opening to me. Maybe I was wrong about Schotty to some degree.
Did you see the posts with the Rams and Eagles grades? Someone mentioned lack of talent and it was interesting how many high green players the Eagles had on their oline in 2013. The Rams were lucky to have one or two green players on the line.

I happen to like PFF, maybe you don't .. . but it's at least objetive in that they are probably not Eagles fans or Rams fans.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Foles had two games last year where he sucked. Both against NFCW teams, SF and AZ. But honestly Bradford hasn't looked great against top defenses either and has had several really bad days against the NFCW.

I don't think you were wrong about BS, and I don't think much will be left to the imagination after this season is closed. I don't even know what he does in Philly........he sure isn't designing and calling plays since Kelly does that. So who knows what his role is.

You really like Bradford, I'm lukewarm on him. I propose a death match with papier mache swords and armor. No hair pulling allowed. :whistle:

ram007

Starter
How many years do we need to give Foles to find out he is good or not with Rams? No cynicism, I mean it.

I am willing to say this year and that's it. This team is top 10 in NFL on talent which Bradford never had. An average QB should take this team to playoffs at a minimum.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
How many years do we need to give Foles to find out he is good or not with Rams? No cynicism, I mean it.

I am willing to say this year and that's it. This team is top 10 in NFL on talent which Bradford never had. An average QB should take this team to playoffs at a minimum.
I honestly think Foles will be good this year, and I think he will be healthy and we will be in playoffs

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Unless the defense, especially the pass rush, decides not to show up until Week 9 like they did last year right..........

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Foles had two games last year where he sucked. Both against NFCW teams, SF and AZ. But honestly Bradford hasn't looked great against top defenses either and has had several really bad days against the NFCW.

I don't think you were wrong about BS, and I don't think much will be left to the imagination after this season is closed. I don't even know what he does in Philly........he sure isn't designing and calling plays since Kelly does that. So who knows what his role is.

You really like Bradford, I'm lukewarm on him. I propose a death match with papier mache swords and armor. No hair pulling allowed. :whistle:
Somewhere along the way of your reply you fused Schotty and Shurmur into one coordinator. Like Shurmenheimer or something. That's scary.

I wouldn't say I really like Bradford either. I did have a lot of time and research (including making videos) invested in his time here, but only because some of the arguments against him were bordering on stupid. And not just stupid, but like a mutation of stupid where stupid fell into a drum of nuclear waste and developed super-stupid powers. Once he left, I was like, "Meh. Lemme go look at this Foles kid on NFL Rewind and see what's up."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's a clear upgrade over any backup we've had here in the past several years.
This is the crux of what i've been posting on this issue. I also think the Rams looked at it this way. According to Fish/Snead they weren't interested in trading Sam until they received a QB in return...one that would upgrade the position(Hill, Davis, Clemens)....not an upgrade to Bradford in terms of actual ability.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
At this point in their careers I will take Nick Foles hands down!
I haven't seen much Bradford (nor has anyone), but I've seen plenty of Foles and he's good. I think y'all got the better end of the deal, imo.