Is McVay's rebuild of the Rams as large as Fisher's rebuild of the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is McVay's rebuild of the Rams as large as Fisher's rebuild of the Rams?

• No

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the 1-15 team under Spagnuolo was the worst Rams team I have seen and one of the worst ever. They were one trick play away from being 0-16 and got blown out in half of the games.
Thank you.
That is the team I was speaking of. Even though Detroit didn't win they were often competitive.
That Spags team was the worst I've ever seen.

Psycho_X

Legend
There is certainly more talent now than when Fisher took over. We had a relatively talented defense before free agency and had plenty of money to supplement during so that helped. The offense obviously has some of the same issues it has had for over a decade now so that'll be McVay's test and obviously why he was brought here.

Ironic though that both will start with a QB chosen number 1 overall by the guy they replaced. It all begins and ends with the QB so in a way.... yes and no. But I chose no lol.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
. He has to completely change the culture.
I voted yes because of this....Not sure who fits...not sure who was quitting last year, but I have a clue...and until McVay determines who he deems is "RAM TOUGH", we won't be sure of the exact rebuild length or even depth. They already axed the entire scouting dept. All except Snead....so...Any rebuild is tough....Imagine if after this year, McBae wants to ditch Goff??? Fisher had a decent QB...and that's half the battle.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talent doesn't mean anything. He is changing the defense completely. A lot of talented players just simply do not fit what we are doing. He is going to have to change over a ton of guy over the next few years. His only plus to me is that FAs are more likely to come live in LA than they were St.Louis

Lol FA comes where the money is not the city you tell me stl is worse then Cleveland or buffalo. The defense might be changing but almost all the spots are filled with Fisher guys the ones that aren't are the open position that was created with the new scheme change

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lol FA comes where the money is not the city you tell me stl is worse then Cleveland or buffalo. The defense might be changing but almost all the spots are filled with Fisher guys the ones that aren't are the open position that was created with the new scheme change

They are filled with Fishers guys because it's logistically impossible to replace them all in one offseason. Would you mind telling me the last time a top FA went to Buffalo or Cleveland? The one ones going are the ones with local tiesz If you think for a second that these guys don't consider where they will live, your delusional.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are filled with Fishers guys because it's logistically impossible to replace them all in one offseason. Would you mind telling me the last time a top FA went to Buffalo or Cleveland? The one ones going are the ones with local tiesz If you think for a second that these guys don't consider where they will live, your delusional.

Lol yeah when you think about taxes they do and it's definitely something their agents mention too. You bringing cities into a rebuild discussion was delusional. A FA will go ANYWHERE that offers them the most money it's just that simple.

Fisher rebuild was massive what McVay is doing is just installing his system with his guys which is what every NEW head coach does. What Fisher had to do was completely different he had to scrap everything just to field a NFL team because what we had before definitely wasn't. They both have their own set of issues but I would much rather have McVay job then Fishers

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lol yeah when you think about taxes they do and it's definitely something their agents mention too. You bringing cities into a rebuild discussion was delusional. A FA will go ANYWHERE that offers them the most money it's just that simple.

Fisher rebuild was massive what McVay is doing is just installing his system with his guys which is what every NEW head coach does. What Fisher had to do was completely different he had to scrap everything just to field a NFL team because what we had before definitely wasn't. They both have their own set of issues but I would much rather have McVay job then Fishers

Haha yea you keep telling yourself that man.

Psycho_X

Legend

Yeah, if agents aren't informing their clients of these things they are being negligent. I'm sure some choose to go to places because of where they are at times and I'm sure some choose not to due to taxes or more money. I wouldn't conclude either is more than the other really. But it would be foolish not to think players consider such things when signing some where if everything is equal as far as team fit goes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/17/los-angeles-rams-move-st-louis-state-income-taxes

For instance, Bankrate.com concludes that a person moving from St. Louis to Los Angeles would need a salary increase of 51.7% to maintain the same standard of living.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the sad part is fisher got his best result with his worst team in 2012. how does that happen?

yeah, sam going down ruined all his plans but most of his woes were self inflicted.

getting no plan b in 2014 just in case sam got injured again, trading for foles, his horrible oc choices in 2015 and 2016, his keenum love, his smugness even though he achieved nothing in the last 15 years, you get the picture.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the sad part is fisher got his best result with his worst team in 2012. how does that happen?

yeah, sam going down ruined all his plans but most of his woes were self inflicted.

getting no plan b in 2014 just in case sam got injured again, trading for foles, his horrible oc choices in 2015 and 2016, his keenum love, his smugness even though he achieved nothing in the last 15 years, you get the picture.

Definitely agree some of Fishers problems was Him lol

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No way. The players cut by Fish & Co. couldn't even find jobs with other teams... their NFL careers were already over while they were still wearing Horns.

That was beyond a sad state of affairs Fish inherited. Rebuild isn't strong enough a word for the kind of nightmare they had on their hands.
THIS!!^^ McVay's Job is like Comparing a Remodel to a complete Rebuilding of a Home!
McVay comes in with some Talent on Offense, A lot of talent on Defense, and Special Teams, with Hekker, The Leg, and Bones is in fine shape!
Coach McVay brings in a New Staff, except for Bones, Adds a few Key pieces, and "BOOM!" We're Back in Business and Playoff Bound!! JMHO

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Would you mind telling me the last time a top FA went to Buffalo or Cleveland?

KENNY BRITT !!!

nHLSlFK.gif

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Thank you.
That is the team I was speaking of. Even though Detroit didn't win they were often competitive.
That Spags team was the worst I've ever seen.

What I recall is the year before we had a decent linebacking core with like 3 Ohio State guys - wasn't the best but they played well as a unit I thought -- then they blew it up and brought in guys like Brady Poppinga.... and someone else

So dark

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I recall is the year before we had a decent linebacking core with like 3 Ohio State guys - wasn't the best but they played well as a unit I thought -- then they blew it up and brought in guys like Brady Poppinga.... and someone else

So dark

wasn't that the 2011 team. spags inherited a train wreck bogged down with worthless players on elite contracts with loads of dead money that he had to somehow pare down. 2009 was lost season just getting rid of dead weight with no money to replace them.

Psycho_X

Legend
the sad part is fisher got his best result with his worst team in 2012. how does that happen?.

It is really sad. It's like we suddenly purged all the junk off our team and had a decent draft and became instantly competitive on an average scale but some how never developed past that and actually got worse. It really is mind boggling to look back on all of the decisions made on the offensive side of the ball from the top down.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
wasn't that the 2011 team. spags inherited a train wreck bogged down with worthless players on elite contracts with loads of dead money that he had to somehow pare down. 2009 was lost season just getting rid of dead weight with no money to replace them.

Damn, you are right.... I guess I've just put everything post-Martz pre-Fisher in my mental dumpster fire

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Talent-wise the team McVay has inherited is much better on paper than what Fisher inherited. If Fisher had been able to field a healthy Sam Bradford for five years I think he would have had at least one or more winning season on his resume with the overall talent level he had on his teams (assuming no Boras or Cignetti as OC's).

Based on the talent level of the 2011 team that Fisher started with I had no realistic expectation that he would get the Rams to the playoffs in his first season. Based on the talent level of our 2017 Rams I feel much differently and have a moderate expectation that the Rams actually can make the playoffs.

Fisher failed as a head coach because his offenses where below average to just plain bad. That falls on him because I believe his restrictions and overriding philosophy affected his choice of offensive coordinators which got progressively worse with each hire. As he went from Shotty to Cignetti to Boras the Rams offense seemed to devolve with each new coordinator. In retrospect I can actually appreciate Shotty because at least he was competent where as Boras and Cignetti were complete failures as coordinators.

Staffing is so important and at first blush it appears that McVay has far surpassed Fisher in that regard already but only time will really tell.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I voted yes because of this....Not sure who fits...not sure who was quitting last year, but I have a clue...and until McVay determines who he deems is "RAM TOUGH", we won't be sure of the exact rebuild length or even depth. They already axed the entire scouting dept. All except Snead....so...Any rebuild is tough....Imagine if after this year, McBae wants to ditch Goff??? Fisher had a decent QB...and that's half the battle.
How often was Bradford healthy enough to play though? In a lot of ways, that "decent quarterback" was Fisher's fools gold.

I'm not as worried about the defensive scheme so much since Greg Williams was a bit of a mad scientist anyway. If anything, I would expect the scheme to be more structured in it's variation and easier for the players.

I'm optimistic about the offensive line. There is no question that it has been a focal point. I'm also excited about the tight ends and receivers, simply because they were selected by a coach who knows what he's doing there. And then there's the Sam Rogers pick. I'm excited to see a real fullback in there.

My biggest concern is at quarterback, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that with the improvements to the offensive line and tight ends I won't be so frustrated with the offense this year.