Is McVay's rebuild of the Rams as large as Fisher's rebuild of the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is McVay's rebuild of the Rams as large as Fisher's rebuild of the Rams?

• No

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My biggest concern is at quarterback, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that with the improvements to the offensive line and tight ends I won't be so frustrated with the offense this year.
As it should be....
http://nflspinzone.com/2017/05/31/los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-changing-culture-speed-bumps/
Los Angeles Rams: Sean McVay changing culture won’t be easy

by Greg Archuleta
New head coach Sean McVay is hoping to change the culture for the Los Angeles Rams, but it’s already proving to be a difficult task

Changing the Los Angeles Rams culture is one of the primary objectives for 31-year old new head coach Sean McVay. However, the culture change is proving to be slow, even for wundercoach McVay.

According to a tweet from the Orange County Register‘s Rich Hammond (h/t Turf Show Times), starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson did not attend a voluntary practice session Tuesday.

Johnson’s absence without explanation is problematic and symptomatic of the Rams woes and challenges McVay faces during his inaugural season.

Before Los Angeles handed the reins to McVay, who may age at an accelerated rate during his first season at age 31, it had players displaying a “me-first” attitude. Greg Robinson started at left tackle for the Rams since the team took him No. 2 overall in the 2014 draft. He has not embraced the position, having suffered a temporary benching last season. Speculation began to surface before McVay arrived that Robinson could expect a position change in 2017

The lineman indicated he’d be okay with a move to right tackle, but wasn’t willing to consider a change to guard, as ESPN.com reported in January.

“Honestly, I haven’t even thought about it,” Robinson said, speaking the day after the Rams’ season finale. “If that’s the discussion with whoever comes in, wherever I’m at, that’s going to be the deal. But it’s not really something that I’m just going to accept, because I’m so used to playing tackle.”

To be fair, Robinson did add that he would adjust if asked. But why he didn’t say that in the first place is example of that questionable Rams culture.

In a related note, Robinson on Tuesday practiced with the second-team offense as the Rams let Jamon Brown test the waters with the first team. McVay still may be trying to grasp the depths of the current Rams culture before fully implementing change. However, the mess he’s taking occupancy over will throw several speed bumps in front of him along the way, which we’re already seeing.

IMO, culture is the reason this re-load/rebuild is going to be difficult. O-Line needs an attitude change...the skill positions need to work on their crafts with more....IDK, focus...commitment to improve...not settle for mediocrity...Too many "me first" guys...and too many guys getting paid and NOT performing up to expectations. How McVay weeds these ankle weight contracts out....will be key. Or, can he get guys that have under-performed up to expectations?

fearsomefour

Legend
What I recall is the year before we had a decent linebacking core with like 3 Ohio State guys - wasn't the best but they played well as a unit I thought -- then they blew it up and brought in guys like Brady Poppinga.... and someone else

So dark
I remember the Rams being the oldest team in the league and almost no cap room. Not good.

Ram65

Legend
I voted yes because of this....Not sure who fits...not sure who was quitting last year, but I have a clue...and until McVay determines who he deems is "RAM TOUGH", we won't be sure of the exact rebuild length or even depth. They already axed the entire scouting dept. All except Snead....so...Any rebuild is tough....Imagine if after this year, McBae wants to ditch Goff??? Fisher had a decent QB...and that's half the battle.

FYI Champ. It was only three scouts which is interesting. Contracts were up for them. Never got an understanding as to why. Here is part of the article. Click for all. Didn't change much as the draft work was done already.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/10/los-angeles-rams-nfl-scouts-fired-before-draft/
y: Sean Cordy | April 10, 2017 7:49 pm ET

The Los Angeles Rams said goodbye to three role players—not the ones that strap on helmets but ones responsible for bringing them on board.

As Inside The League’s Neil Stratton reported, the Rams dismissed scouts Danton Barto, Evan Ardoin, and Sean Gustus four weeks ahead of the draft. While the proximity of the draft may be cause for alarm, most (if not all) of the scouting reports are finalized.

The team likely knows who they would pull the trigger on and who they would let walk. This isn’t a high school geometry test that you study for during lunch. The bulk of scouting is tracking a player throughout his time in college, not the couple weeks before the draft.

What still remains unclear is why they were let go, it seems Director of Personnel Ran Carthon, in particular, is most alarming. He was with the team during the last five years.................................

A55VA6

Legend
McVay's rebuild is nowhere near Fisher's. Still lots of work to be done though.

nighttrain

Legend
As Les stated Fisher took over a hole within a hole.
The team that went 2-14 may be in the running for the worst in NFL history.....modern history at least. I know Detroit posted an 0-16 team about the same time but they nearly won several games and had more talent.
Those were dark days indeed.
The Rams currently have the longest streak (and it aint that close) in the NFL without posting a winning season, something like 13 years. In reality, we really have no right to make fun of any team or their fans. Ownership, management, coaching, players....inept.
But, there certainly was progress, frustrating as it was, for most of Fishers' time.
I refuse to drink kool-aid anymore, but, I like the new coach and staff and what I perceive as his approach.
Ever forward.
Right on brother, ya nailed it!
train

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My thoughts it is not even a question. Jeff Fisher showed all he could of the type of coach he is. He & Snead have put together a solid core for The Rams.
He just would have taken another couple years just to get The Rams past 7-9 . He just couldn't keep up on the coaching front. The game has past him by.

---McVay gets it. I'm sure Demoff & Snead have influence of a lot of his decisions. I really like how he brought in the old veteran Legends. This is HUGE for The Rams future. The fan base is just going to get bigger. There are a lot of young sports fans that this team will touch for ever.The moves that have been made are really exceptional. Really like The core pieces McVay has brought in.

Just starting with the 2 USC players . That is a serious fan base that is built into the Coliseum .

I really can't say what the off-season would have been with Jeff Fisher & what Free-Agents would have been brought in. Donald,Tru,Quinn,Brocker,Tree is a Great defensive-core of players.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I voted yes. While I know there is more talent on the roster there are a couple things that McVay has to do that are as big a job as what Fisher had to do. He has to completely change the culture. While Fisher had to rebuild the roster and that rebuilt the culture I don't think McVay has to rebuild the same way. He's has to try to mold a bunch of Fisher players into his type of player. In some ways that's a bigger task. To change the mentality of veterans is a lot tougher than picking and choosing your guys.
Interesting take. Fisher definitely had more draft picks to rebuild the roster and quite likely a lower expectation level to start. I think however, many of the players McVay is inheriting are still young and will probably be willing to do just about anything to get to the post season after what they've been through. Or.... maybe I just hope you're wrong.:D

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talent doesn't mean anything. He is changing the defense completely. A lot of talented players just simply do not fit what we are doing. He is going to have to change over a ton of guy over the next few years. His only plus to me is that FAs are more likely to come live in LA than they were St.Louis
What's a ton of guys? Maybe 8 or 9? :)

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What's a ton of guys? Maybe 8 or 9? :)

Out of 22? Yea I would call that a ton. And I would be surprised if that's all. You lose that normally to FA over a course of a couple years.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Interesting take. Fisher definitely had more draft picks to rebuild the roster and quite likely a lower expectation level to start. I think however, many of the players McVay is inheriting are still young and will probably be willing to do just about anything to get to the post season after what they've been through. Or.... maybe I just hope you're wrong.:D

I agree with this completely. Tho I think we still have some Fisher players that haven't been weeded yet...Fisher had a shit ton of pics in his years. McVay didn't even have a 1st this year. Our 2nd round pick is being treated like a world beater because there was no one ahead of him.

That said...McVay did get the best defensive player in the NFL! Lol Go Rams!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
They are filled with Fishers guys because it's logistically impossible to replace them all in one offseason. Would you mind telling me the last time a top FA went to Buffalo or Cleveland? The one ones going are the ones with local tiesz If you think for a second that these guys don't consider where they will live, your delusional.
Why didn't Garçon end up here then? That was McVay's guy. Should have been a slam dunk.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why didn't Garçon end up here then? That was McVay's guy. Should have been a slam dunk.

My guess is because Garçon has been over paid non stop and Snead still runs personnel and wouldn't give money away that could be going to locking up Donald

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like Bnw delted his own post
Back me up here BNW!!!
You got me looking like a loon :LOL:

I've asked a mod to show me the alleged post since I don't remember deleting anything. As for looking like a loon.....take it from me more tattoos will fix that.;)

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I'd hesitate to say McVay's rebuild needs to be "as large" as Fisher's; rather, I'd say it's just as critical.

Fisher and Snead did a huge job of overhauling the physical talent on the roster they inherited. To me, it just seemed like Fisher was a little too enamored with players who had the physical tools, regardless of whether they had the football smarts to go with it.

And I get the sense that McVay is looking for physically good players with the right football mentality -- hopefully, that will get this team over the 7-9 hump sooner rather than later.

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like Bnw delted his own post
Back me up here BNW!!!
You got me looking like a loon :LOL:

I just found out I did delete the post you mentioned. So in your case looks can be deceiving.;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They are filled with Fishers guys because it's logistically impossible to replace them all in one offseason. Would you mind telling me the last time a top FA went to Buffalo or Cleveland? The one ones going are the ones with local tiesz If you think for a second that these guys don't consider where they will live, your delusional.

It's the skrilla, and don't kid yourself.

Lol yeah when you think about taxes they do and it's definitely something their agents mention too. You bringing cities into a rebuild discussion was delusional. A FA will go ANYWHERE that offers them the most money it's just that simple.

It's the skrilla, and you aren't kidding yourself.

For instance, Bankrate.com concludes that a person moving from St. Louis to Los Angeles would need a salary increase of 51.7% to maintain the same standard of living.

I think it would depend on the area of each market you were comparing. LA is unusual and a very different different critter than STL.

If Fisher had been able to field a healthy Sam Bradford for five years I think he would have had at least one or more winning season on his resume

Bradford hasn't had a winning season in his career. For any team or coach.

Debacled

Starter
Ah how a few years mellows memories on those years...

Voted no and its not even close. The defense is exciting, and while it didn't score much the offense is still light years ahead of where it was post Linehan and even Spags(even if that were due more to injuries).

Those teams were never really though of as good. Fisher's teams were, but had a propensity to underwhelm and under perform (again primarily due to injures and lack of "the guy" to lead an offense).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's the skrilla, and don't kid yourself.
Though I would agree that the money is the key ingredient, Shaq came to the Lakers because of the glitz and glamor. He was offered more by other teams. Garnet wanted out of Minnesota because.... it was Minnesota. Chris Webber wanted out of Sacramento because it was a "hick town" that rolled up the sidewalks at night. Location still means something to these guys.

Granted, the Rams are not the Lakers right now and salaries have gone through the roof, but there is a cache that is LA and Rams players used to live it. Not sure I remember too many Browns or Bills players beyond OJ having TV shows and such.