Is McVay's rebuild of the Rams as large as Fisher's rebuild of the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is McVay's rebuild of the Rams as large as Fisher's rebuild of the Rams?

• No

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bnw

Pro Bowler
Is McVay faced with as large a rebuild as Fisher was when hired by the Rams?

tempests

Hall of Fame
There is more talent here now then there was then. Although, I'd say Fisher was in better position to improve quickly thanks to the RG3 draft haul.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Better talent on defense, but the offense was a complete mess with few play makers and an atrocious offensive line....McVay has quite a task, but he's put together one hell of a coaching staff and it's all the way with McVay.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted yes. While I know there is more talent on the roster there are a couple things that McVay has to do that are as big a job as what Fisher had to do. He has to completely change the culture. While Fisher had to rebuild the roster and that rebuilt the culture I don't think McVay has to rebuild the same way. He's has to try to mold a bunch of Fisher players into his type of player. In some ways that's a bigger task. To change the mentality of veterans is a lot tougher than picking and choosing your guys.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The season before Fisher was hired, if you were cut by the Rams, you were out of football. Kudos to Fisher for turning that around. McVay inherets a team that has much better talent from 1st string to the bottom of the 53 man roster, When McVay cuts to the 53, there will be other teams signing some of those. Quite a bit dififfent situation. McVay gets a much more talented team than Fisher got. Fisher's problem was he couldn't get that talent into winning football.

Enter McVay.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Is McVay faced with as large a rebuild as Fisher was when hired by the Rams?

I don't think their rebuilds are remotely close in size at all.....

"Fisher's rebuild"
CR3a9j0XAAAqL9e.jpg

"McVay's Rebuild"

in-zilele-in-care-nu-se-intampla-nimic-te-simti-fb872ad0d4.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams went 15-65 the 5 years before Fisher arrived. They clocked the worst stretch of losing in NFL history.

There has NEVER been as big of a rebuild. Ever.

This was the WORST ever.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

not even close.

let's hope mcvay can be the rams jon gruden, using the talent fisher has accumulated and turn it into a winner.

fearsomefour

Legend
As Les stated Fisher took over a hole within a hole.
The team that went 2-14 may be in the running for the worst in NFL history.....modern history at least. I know Detroit posted an 0-16 team about the same time but they nearly won several games and had more talent.
Those were dark days indeed.
The Rams currently have the longest streak (and it aint that close) in the NFL without posting a winning season, something like 13 years. In reality, we really have no right to make fun of any team or their fans. Ownership, management, coaching, players....inept.
But, there certainly was progress, frustrating as it was, for most of Fishers' time.
I refuse to drink kool-aid anymore, but, I like the new coach and staff and what I perceive as his approach.
Ever forward....

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can think of a couple of teams that went through nearly as bad a time. Expansion Tampa Bay and John McKay didn't have a very good start. Jim Zorn and Seattle were a mess for a time. Don't forget New Orleans "Aint's" Fans wore paper bags over their heads, (Gawd, was that ever classic!) Kinda tough being a Browns fan the last ten years.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
No way. The players cut by Fish & Co. couldn't even find jobs with other teams... their NFL careers were already over while they were still wearing Horns.

That was beyond a sad state of affairs Fish inherited. Rebuild isn't strong enough a word for the kind of nightmare they had on their hands.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Talent doesn't mean anything. He is changing the defense completely. A lot of talented players just simply do not fit what we are doing. He is going to have to change over a ton of guy over the next few years. His only plus to me is that FAs are more likely to come live in LA than they were St.Louis

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No. I see more of a Mike Singleterry > Jim Harbaugh transition with this team; there's a respectable nucleus of talent, now it's just the coaching on all aspects of the game. And Fisher inherited a team that had draft blunders led by Shaw, Zygmunt, and Devaney.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have to admit that Fisher had the bigger rebuild. Guys like Barry Richardson and Craig Dahl were starting for Fisher at one point.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I think Fisher was rebuild, but McVay is more of a remodel. If that makes sense. Like others said its an inheritance and now its time to mold the talent at hand... I think it is equally the same since its dealing with multiple personalities.

Ram65

Legend
Fisher rebuild was a bigger project.

McVay's rebuild although not as difficult is based on a solid plan and quick execution.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I like it," Gurley said when asked for his sense of how he fits into the new offense. "It’s not the same. But mostly every offense is the same, [just] kind of different schemes. The coaches have just been doing a great job of coaching us up and making sure we’re focused [on] the details and the little things." (Sean McVay = Anti-Jeff Fisher)

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...er-catches-better-season-for-rams-todd-gurley

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I voted yes. McVay is trying to change the culture of the team and implement his system. I also look at his competition in division that he'll face each year. Carroll and Co. in SEA have things rolling up there. The division goes through them. AZ isn't a slouch either if Palmer is protected well. SF has a lot of talent on D and a young innovative offensive minded first time head coach. Who does that sound like??
Fisher got the team to respectable, but still losers overall. McVay is expected to develop Goff and deliver playoffs. I feel like the bar is higher for McVay out of the gate than it was for Fisher. I know the team was awful that Fisher inherited, but this is McVay's first time as the Captain of the ship. He's expected to learn on the job and win fairly quickly too. I'm glad Hard Knocks was last year, cause he has his work cut out for him. He did put together a heck of a coaching staff on paper though. Still don't know how we ended up with Wade Phillips!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As Les stated Fisher took over a hole within a hole.
The team that went 2-14 may be in the running for the worst in NFL history.....modern history at least. I know Detroit posted an 0-16 team about the same time but they nearly won several games and had more talent.
Those were dark days indeed.
The Rams currently have the longest streak (and it aint that close) in the NFL without posting a winning season, something like 13 years. In reality, we really have no right to make fun of any team or their fans. Ownership, management, coaching, players....inept.
But, there certainly was progress, frustrating as it was, for most of Fishers' time.
I refuse to drink kool-aid anymore, but, I like the new coach and staff and what I perceive as his approach.
Ever forward....

I think the 1-15 team under Spagnuolo was the worst Rams team I have seen and one of the worst ever. They were one trick play away from being 0-16 and got blown out in half of the games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In terms of the time it will take to get a finished product on the field in the vision of the new coach, yes. Is the team in as much of a mess? No.

The thing is many players don't fit. Some are not scheme fits and some are not talent fits. I expect a lot of turnover in the next four or five years. In that time none of Fisher's DBs will be here. We may not have his LBers here either. Phillips inside LBers were usually expendable, in favor of lesser contracts. Quinn is aging and has had injuries, and who is the pass rusher on the other side?

On offense it is probably a little less turnover. It is unknown how the linemen work out for Kromer.Will Tavon produce to his contract? Will the receivers pan out? Who leaves via free agency because the Rams prefer a different fit, or don't think they are worth the money?

Any rebuild takes time until the right pieces are in place.