Is Marcus Peters coachable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Is Shields healthy now? If MP has another game as bad as the Seahawks game he should lose his starting job. He has to play smarter and better or he's going to cost the Rams wins.

Rambo

UDFA
It was a mistake to make such a big deal about his pick 6 a couple weeks ago, now all he's trying to do is get interceptions.

poLARizing

UDFA
Cornerbacks and wide receivers are infamous for their overblown egos. It goes with the territory. Still, referring to himself in the third-person is troubling.

I didn't see it that way. I just think he is pi$$ed off that he had a terrible game and got beat. Plain and simple. And to top it all off, he wants to move forward but reporters keep bringing up "old $hit". lol. You can see he was irritated. I hope he bounces back and Marcus Peters plays like Marcus Peters.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
How is any football player on the Rams speaking of himself in the 3rd person troubling?
Come on.
Is this the reason he got beat? Heck no
It’s not like after the Rams acquired him he all of a sudden started speaking about himself in the 3rd person.
AND I guarantee that the WE NOT ME doesn’t specify whether or not to address yourself in the 3rd person - nor doesn’t it state that if you do refer to yourself in the 3rd person you’re not a team player
Come off it
The dude is adjusting to being a Ram - it’s only 5 games in. This team is gonna gell for the playoffs.
Plus he’s got mic in his face asking him stupid fucking questions about being 100% - like what exactly is 100% - it’s a generic f’d up question and the guy is clearly not pleased with His performance for the team.

But let’s be clear - like MP said - sometimes you get beat.

Ellard80

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/10/nfl-los-angeles-rams-marcus-peters-pff-film-analysis/

Rams Film Room: What's gone wrong with Marcus Peters, PFF's 106th-ranked CB?
By: Cameron DaSilva

gettyimages-1042108128.jpg

Of all the Los Angeles Rams’ blockbuster offseason additions in 2018, Marcus Peters was one that many fans were most excited about. He’s widely viewed as an elite cornerback, is still on his rookie contract and makes more game-changing plays in the secondary than any defensive back in the NFL.

It’s easy to see why everyone was so thrilled to see him paired with Wade Phillips and Aqib Talib in Los Angeles. He’s a fiery player who speaks his mind and gambles on passes thrown his way – and even those not intended for receivers he’s covering.

However, through five games, the early returns have not been good in L.A. After getting off to a hot start with a game-sealing pick-six against the Raiders in Week 1, Peters’ play has slid just about every week since. It’s gotten to the point where he’s been one of the worst cornerbacks in the NFL the past two games.

Pro Football Focus has him graded as the 106th-ranked cornerback out of 111 qualified players, which needless to say, is eye-popping. Everything’s been an issue, too: man coverage, zone coverage, press, off-man.

But what’s really gone wrong with Peters lately? Well, for starters, he suffered a groin injury in Week 3 against the Chargers and hasn’t been the same since. He played against the Vikings on a short week and then on Sunday against Seattle, though Sean McVay isn’t even sure he’s 100 percent healthy.

But if you put on the tape, some of his poor play goes beyond health. On this play against the Seahawks where he was beat for a touchdown, he guessed wrong on the receiver’s double-move, attempting to break on the slant route.

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1049756957320630273?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1049756957320630273&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F10%2F10%2Fnfl-los-angeles-rams-marcus-peters-pff-film-analysis%2F

Earlier in the game, he was beat for another touchdown. This time, Tyler Lockett ran a simple post route and just used his speed to blow by Peters in the middle of the field. Peters was flat-footed and seemed to sit on an underneath route, which Lockett exploited.

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1049755302520872960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1049755302520872960&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F10%2F10%2Fnfl-los-angeles-rams-marcus-peters-pff-film-analysis%2F

It’s hard to completely pin this touchdown on Peters, but it was his man that caught the pass for the score. Starting on the outside, Peters followed David Moore along the end line in the back of the end zone. Unfortunately, he hesitated a few times and was unable to change direction quick enough to stay with the receiver.

This one could be the result of his calf not being fully healthy, preventing him from driving off his leg as he typically would.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/cornyobedientalbacoretuna

Even when he wasn’t giving up touchdowns against Seattle, he was getting beat in coverage. On this play, you can see Lockett once again beat Peters on an in-breaking route. Peters knows he’s beat, so he grabs the receiver and tugs him backwards, drawing a holding penalty and negating Matt Longacre’s sack.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/physicaloldfashionedcony

The second time he was called for holding, he was bailed out by intentional grounding on Russell Wilson, who was pressured by Aaron Donald. Peters was beat by Lockett (again), even with the Rams sending extra coverage his way. The speedy receiver was about to blow by Peters, so Marcus wrapped him up and slowed him down.

That’s an easy call to make, and if not for Donald, Lockett probably scores another touchdown.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/quarterlyelasticdipper

The effort against the run hasn’t always been there, either, which was an issue that plagued Peters in Kansas City, too. This was a huge play in the game, and while the Seahawks picked up the first down anyway, Peters allowed Mike Davis to turn what could’ve been a 10-yard gain into a 37-yarder.

Lockett didn’t make much of an effort to block him, either, but Peters was simply out of position.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/weakspottedfunnelweaverspider

A similar play happened against the Vikings, where Peters was more of a spectator than a defender. On a screen pass to Stefon Diggs, Peters showed little interest in coming up and making the tackle. He didn’t get a finger on Diggs, allowing him to gain an addition 12 yards or so after running by Peters.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/thoroughflickeringindianhare

Peters has always been a baiter and challenges quarterbacks to throw his way, which is exactly what he did against the Vikings on Aldrick Robinson’s touchdown. Peters did a good job carrying him all the way down the field, but he stopped short and gave the receiver too much room behind him.

Cousins was fortunate to get this pass over Peters’ outstretched arm, but Peters needs to stay closer to the receiver in this instance. Not a bad play, but one he should make.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/educateddeterminedkillerwhale

Of course, it hasn’t been all bad for Peters. He made a nice play against the Seahawks by recognizing the tight end snuck behind him, turning around quick enough and batting the pass away to cause the incompletion.

Not many cornerbacks would have that sort of awareness, nor the athleticism to turn and run before breaking up the pass.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/pinkelectricdouglasfirbarkbeetle

It’s difficult to tell if Peters’ calf injury has hampered his play, and he probably won’t admit he’s not 100 percent, but he has to improve no matter the case. With Aqib Talib out, he’s taken over the left side of the defense and hasn’t stepped up like the Rams hoped he would.

Teams are challenging him with double-moves and routes deep down the field, and it’s almost as if he’s expecting help in the middle on some of those plays. Either that, or he’s relying on his speed to make up for the lost ground in trail technique, like on this play where Mike Williams – a receiver not known for his speed – runs by Peters, who’s playing with outside leverage.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/incompatibledirectconure

Peters has to take fewer chances and do a better job staying with receivers on passes deep down the field. Otherwise, the Rams are going to continue to get gashed for big plays.

Until Talib returns, this is Peters’ secondary and he must play like the All-Pro he is.

A dose of unbiased reality to chew on.

106th out of 111 ouch

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
How is any football player on the Rams speaking of himself in the 3rd person troubling?
Come on.

It's not as big of a deal to me as you make it. Let me rephrase. I find it odd when anyone refers to themselves in the 3'd person. How's that? In fact, I've never known anyone personally who ever did that.

Plus he’s got mic in his face asking him stupid freaking questions about being 100% - like what exactly is 100% - it’s a generic f’d up question and the guy is clearly not pleased with His performance for the team.

After the way he's played lately I find it totally relevant to ask the man if he's 100% healthy.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It's not as big of a deal to me as you make it. Let me rephrase. I find it odd when anyone refers to themselves in the 3'd person. How's that? In fact, I've never known anyone personally who ever did that.

After the way he's played lately I find it totally relevant to ask the man if he's 100% healthy.

I wasn’t referring to your post or you, it was in response to what I’ve read on this thread about his play and about whether or not he’s coachable.

This is not a big deal to me either - the fact the guy is pissed off at dumb questions from stupid reporters, the fact he refers to himself in the 3rd person, or the fact he’s still getting adjusted to his role on this team.

Marcus Peters is coachable - the question itself is silly. The FO knows who they acquired and to think they’d have missed so blatantly on a guy who can’t be coached is laughable. I don’t get this scenerio — on one hand a fan can be enthralled with the play of Suh and that acquisition from the FO but somehow doubt the same sort of thought process went i to acquiring Marcus Peters, it’s just weird. I mean we lost guys like Janoris, Tru, McLeod, Gaines, etc, and yet the FO delivered us Talib and Peters. Both of whom are better than everyone we’ve lost combined. That’s epic. And it’s unrealistic to think every facet if this team is gonna be playing lights out 5 games in. At this point in the year it seems Marcus Peters has become everyone’s new Watkins.

But this year it’s shaping up well — Really well in fact. We will be peaking as a team at just the right time. We are 5-0 and the division looks like a lock at this point. Guys like Marcus Peters is gonna get into his groove and be dangerous come playoffs - guys like Suh and even holdouts like 99 will be playing at an even higher level. It’s the makings of a great playoff run. But to spend any amount of time questioning if our star DB is coachable or not just seems petty. No wonder the guy is pissed. As I Ram fan I have faith he’s gonna be a star in horns.

Ellard80

Legend
I wasn’t referring to your post or you, it was in response to what I’ve read on this thread about his play and about whether or not he’s coachable.

This is not a big deal to me either - the fact the guy is ticked off at dumb questions from stupid reporters, the fact he refers to himself in the 3rd person, or the fact he’s still getting adjusted to his role on this team.

Marcus Peters is coachable - the question itself is silly. The FO knows who they acquired and to think they’d have missed so blatantly on a guy who can’t be coached is laughable. I don’t get this scenerio — on one hand a fan can be enthralled with the play of Suh and that acquisition from the FO but somehow doubt the same sort of thought process went i to acquiring Marcus Peters, it’s just weird. I mean we lost guys like Janoris, Tru, McLeod, Gaines, etc, and yet the FO delivered us Talib and Peters. Both of whom are better than everyone we’ve lost combined. That’s epic. And it’s unrealistic to think every facet if this team is gonna be playing lights out 5 games in. At this point in the year it seems Marcus Peters has become everyone’s new Watkins.

But this year it’s shaping up well — Really well in fact. We will be peaking as a team at just the right time. We are 5-0 and the division looks like a lock at this point. Guys like Marcus Peters is gonna get into his groove and be dangerous come playoffs - guys like Suh and even holdouts like 99 will be playing at an even higher level. It’s the makings of a great playoff run. But to spend any amount of time questioning if our star DB is coachable or not just seems petty. No wonder the guy is ticked. As I Ram fan I have faith he’s gonna be a star in horns.

There are a lot of great players that are not coachable....

Just because a players isn't the most coachable doesn't mean they can't be high level players. Major league baseball is a big one on this trend - a lot of big time players will not listen to anyone else because there way of doing things has led them to 200 million dollar contracts.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
A dose of unbiased reality to chew on.

106th out of 111 ouch

No.

Peters is struggling, but on a number of those, it’s scheme putting him in a bad spot.

The unbiased reality is that it’s a host of things not just one thing.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Ellard80

Legend
I noticed a lot of defending of Marcus Peters by Wade Phillips and Sean McVay in their latest press conference. Phillips put the blame mostly on himself.

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/sean-mcvay-wade-phillips-press-conference-10-11-18.55895/

Yeah I heard that also - but they are doing what they can to protect their player who is getting a lot of bad press right now.

Going to be blunt - I think about 5% of it has anything to do with scheme. I'd say another small part of it is injury related either physical or some mental hangover.

However I think the majority of it is bad decision making, trying to guess and jump routes, getting his head back in the back field.

A lot of season left however - so plenty of time to right the ship.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah I heard that also - but they are doing what they can to protect their player who is getting a lot of bad press right now.

Going to be blunt - I think about 5% of it has anything to do with scheme. I'd say another small part of it is injury related either physical or some mental hangover.

However I think the majority of it is bad decision making, trying to guess and jump routes, getting his head back in the back field.

A lot of season left however - so plenty of time to right the ship.

I dunno.

On the one play McVay described, the entire defensive call REQUIRED the guys to get home as Peters was meant to be peaking, the defense forcing a quick throw and Peters jumping the route. Wilson gets free and Peters succumbs to a double move.

I think some of the issues with our secondary has been a) an over adjustment to stopping the run or b) the expectation that the DL will get home rather than sticking with pressure forcing quick passes and the secondary providing blanket coverage.

They returned to that in the 4th quarter and they shut the Seahawks down.

So, yes, Peters is struggling, but I think Wade is actually struggling a little bit trying to balance the D.

The 3-4 can be a damned BEAST against the run, but you have to have ILBs like James Harrison or Tedy Bruschi. Thing is, that personnel group is terribly susceptible to mismatches on slot receivers and running backs, both of which occur a ton in this league (just look at how McVay exploited Barr from the Vikes).

If the 3-4 is constructed like the Denver "No Fly Zone", you have much faster S/LB hybrids at ILB and they are susceptible to big interior OLs and power backs running over them.

Honestly, in today's NFL, I go with the Denver personnel grouping every day since no team is going to be able to keep up running the ball, even if they get 200 yards on the ground.

As late as the early 2000s, the Ravens, Pats and Steelers had TREMENDOUS success with the heavy LB corps.

Those Ds would get lit up now, especially as the rule changes are being enforced. No way Ray Lewis is covering Todd Gurley, David Johnson or Alvin Kamara...

I feel very confident that the D will gel further as the season goes on.

Also, we've played maybe the toughest part of our schedule and you can't take away anything from the Vikes, Chargers or the Seahawks at home.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Marcus Peters on how he gets over bad plays: 'I’ve had the f---- it syndrome for a long time'

For what might be the first time in his NFL career, Los Angeles Rams cornerback Marcus Peters is struggling.

Peters came into the season having allowed the league's lowest passer rating on throws in his direction since he entered the NFL, while also recording the league's most interceptions. He started off this season on a similar hot streak, yielding only two catches for eight yards during his first two games with the Rams. Those two catches came on a total of five targets, one of which was intercepted.

Peters injured his calf early in Week 3, and since then, he has been getting burned pretty consistently. He's given up 12 catches for 217 yards and five touchdowns over the past three games, according to Sports Info Solutions. That's a 136.9 passer rating that ranks 183rd among the 200 players targeted in coverage at least five times over that three-week span.

But Peters isn't worried. He has a short memory, and he's able to get over his bad plays.

"I've had the f--- it syndrome for a long time," is one heck of a quote. And it's one a cornerback kind of needs to have in his head these days. NFL pass offenses are better than ever, and it is inevitable that corners will get beat every once in a while -- and even that they'll experience a particularly bad string of games like Peters has had over the past few weeks. But eventually, talent shines through. It should for Peters, sooner rather than later.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ys-ive-had-the-f-it-syndrome-for-a-long-time/

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm just as disappointed as anybody to see Peters get beat on these long TDs. Ever since SD he has shown some vulnerability. The Rams run D as we know is also showing vulnerability. But I like that there's no finger pointing and Peters is not making excuses. The Rams always talk "we" as in we need to control our gaps, we need to play better etc.

McVay and Philllips are not going to throw Peters under the bus. Why should they? Phillips is calling the schemes and McVay is giving him control of the D. I believe they'll stick with him as they try to solve the problems on defense. Finding a solution... taking responsibility for their players.

Here's what I see based on games and interviews this season.

1) The defensive scheme is for the Rams to pressure the passer as they bring a safety (JJ) up to stop the run. This scheme puts Peters on an isiand. They are okay for him to freelance and jump routes as long as the pressure works and the QB has to unload early. They do not anticipate the QB having time to even get to see the double move. The Rams line being held with no call, or not getting to the QB otherwise, screws this scheme up. Not having big time edge rushers also plays a role.

2) Peters is playing hurt, but he won't admit it. He's the type of guy who won't make excuses and he'll just take what comes with it. That is a team player right there.

3) Yeah he's coachable. He's following his responsibility on the plays with the option to jump a route if he sees it. That's what they like about him is that his freelance style is a gamble and the Rams love to gamble especially if it pays off. Or at least they aren't conservative. Part of the foot on the gas mentality that makes for exciting football and best of all a chance to win.

4) Yes he comes off very standoffish in interviews. I can tell that he's uncomfortable with the mic on him, though he doesn't follow his buddy Lynch and shun the process altogether. His interviews make me cringe sometimes, but then again these reporters ask some stupid as F questions. Why didn't they ask him what his favorite donut was? Of course he'll say that he's 100% even if he isn't. He loves to play and wants to contribute. He doesn't want to sit on the bench with an injury that no one can see and let his teammates down. Especially after all the off season hype. No way he's going to even say one thing about an injury if he can walk.

5) Again, some of our schemes are backfiring when our D-line is getting held badly and we're not getting the push from the edges, giving QBs more time to find the receivers. Sure we're the #1 pressure D, but even with pressure there's the chance to escape and make a play downfield. McVay and Phillips know what's going on, but they are not the types to bitch to the league about the holds. Rather, they are the types to find a solution. The quick passes have sometimes stymied the Rams rush, even back when Quinn was a terror on the edge. So the Rams need to trust the system and stick to their responsibilities when this happens ao they don't get gashed when something doesn't work as intended.

6) I think Peters gets a pick vs Keenum, and the Rams will get 3. As we know Case is one of those that can extend a play with his legs, but he is also one to screw up every now and then. That was the rap on him here and in Minnesota. He actually got by in Minny because they're pretty stacked on offense and their D bailed him out at times. But Denver is obviously an entirely different situation.

7) Being rated one of the worst CBs doesn't factor in team defense and what everyone's responsibilty is and other x-factors. PFF goes by numbers a lot, so some of it can be skewed as far as what is really happening overall on any given play. Hey we like it when it favors us, don't like it when it doesn't. That's okay, I just don't like to live by what they say. Kind of like power ratings, PFF ratings should be taken lightly.

Bronco fans are calling for Joseph's head. I don't think Denver wins this one. We'll see what the Rams are made of in their 2nd road game in a row in a hostile environment.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Marcus Peters Knows how to Leave Negative Plays in the Past

It’s not really a secret — cornerback Marcus Peters has not been playing up to the standards he’s set for himself and the level that he’s accustomed to over the past few weeks.

Peters recognized as much this week when speaking with reporters at his locker following Wednesday’s practice.

“No,” Peters replied when asked if he’s playing at that level. “But, I mean, it’s football, baby. That’s the beautiful thing about it. You’re going to have these weeks like this to where it’s gonna be a struggle to get in the flow of some [stuff]. They make some plays — they make some big plays. And, I mean, we’ve just got to make some plays the next week.”

Could the calf injury Peters suffered against the Chargers a few weeks ago be part of the issue? It’s possible. While Peters channeled No Doubt and said he’s feeling “hella good” and at “100 percent,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips acknowledged this week that the cornerback has been playing “banged up.”

Plus, Phillips said that in many ways he’s still trying to get to know Peters — what he likes on the field and what he does best.

“I think this is more me than him. I think just getting comfortable with the things he really does well,” Phillips said. “But, I think the key is with all the players on defense, you get a feel for how they play, put them in situations that they can be aggressive or they know they don't have to be aggressive, those kind of things. So, it's partly on me.”

Nevertheless, Peters knows he needs to play better. That’s where his “forget it” mentality comes into effect. And though he used stronger language to describe that, he said that he’s had that “syndrome” for a long time.

“But it’s part of the game. Yeah, so I learned that trait earlier in my career,” Peters said. “And [stuff] like that don’t bother me, you feel me? I go out there and just try to get some [stuff] done.”

Both Phillips and head coach Sean McVay said this week that good cornerbacks are like good quarterbacks in that both have to quickly flush the inevitable bad plays that will happen in order to continue competing. And the coaches know Peters has that ability, and expect him to come through in big-time situations as the season continues.

“I think it's just working out how we want to play it and him fitting into the way we want it done,” Phillips said. “But, he's like a great quarterback that can scramble — if you take the scrambling away from them they're not as good. The same thing with him, if you take what sees away from him — now you've got to limit it a little bit more and that's what we haven't done well enough with him. He's getting there and he's a great competitor. He's like any great corner, the next play he's going to play as good as he can play. He doesn't get his head down. He keeps fighting and that's what happens in the fourth quarter. If bad things happen for really good players, they keep playing.”

“You show me anybody that's been a great player in this league, I'll show you somebody that's responded from some form of adversity, been able to make plays after things that didn't always go their way. I think to him, to his credit, that's something that he's done in Kansas City. That's why he's made a lot of ball production, he's gotten his hands on the ball really throughout of his career,” McVay said. “But also, the thing that says as much about anything is the ownership he displays. Being able to say, 'That's my bad. I’ll get that fixed.' Taking that extreme ownership that we talk about, demonstrating that accountability and he's a fearless competitor.

“He's an extremely smart football player that then also has the talent to match up. You feel really good about him,” McVay continued. “We have full confidence that a couple bad plays certainly don't define what a phenomenal football player we think he is and what a great year he's going to have moving forward.”

https://www.therams.com/news/marcus-peters-knows-how-to-leave-negative-plays-in-the-past

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Is Shields healthy now? If MP has another game as bad as the Seahawks game he should lose his starting job. He has to play smarter and better or he's going to cost the Rams wins.

Shields is a similar CB. Undisciplined eyes on the QB in his overwhelming desire to get picks. For guys like that to excel they need to buy in to the scheme and limit themselves to doing that only on certain looks where due to film work and gameplanning they think they have a high percentage chance for a given route.

Rams need to get Peters to realize playing the MFing scheme is what is going to get him paid.

Ellard80

Legend
Shields is a similar CB. Undisciplined eyes on the QB in his overwhelming desire to get picks. For guys like that to excel they need to buy in to the scheme and limit themselves to doing that only on certain looks where due to film work and gameplanning they think they have a high percentage chance for a given route.

Rams need to get Peters to realize playing the MFing scheme is what is going to get him paid.

I agree... the "it's the scheme" argument is a fallacy. 138.7 QB rating against and 5 Td's (183 out of 200 players) isn't a "scheme" issue. I'd say it's more of a sign that he is doing what the F he wants rather than actually follow the "scheme." McVay admitted in the above quotes that it was definitely not all scheme.

I haven't given up on the guy - heck I said he was the most important free agent signing. I'm just not going to make excuses for bad play that is as glaringly obvious as any I've ever seen from a DB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree... the "it's the scheme" argument is a fallacy. 138.7 QB rating against and 5 Td's (183 out of 200 players) isn't a "scheme" issue. I'd say it's more of a sign that he is doing what the F he wants rather than actually follow the "scheme."

I haven't given up on the guy - heck I said he was the most important free agent signing. I'm just not going to make excuses for bad play that is as glaringly obvious as any I've ever seen from a DB.

He's too good to give up on this quickly, yeah. But if he doesn't start to do wtf the scheme requires he will definitely find himself benched. Even if that means it puts more stress on our depth players. Wade's a good dude, but he's not a fool. It's time for Peters to turn it around and if he keeps doing wtf he wants and thinking that only the other players are who he takes coaching from his dream of a big payday is going to evaporate.