Is Marcus Peters coachable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Nobody disputes he has talent and makes plays. When he gets beat, though, it’s usually for a TD and that compromises the entire defense. Surely he’s smart enough to know that.

During interviews, he’s generally dismissive. Now, I get it...he fields some dumb@ssed questions that would irritate most people and he really does his best not to be a jerk about it. But I wonder how he really is with the coaches. Do they have to tip toe around him or can they shoot straight? I’m not really sure. I can’t imagine benching him would be wise. Talib may be hurt but he isn’t mute and probably the only one with cred enough to make a difference.

But to me, he isn’t the guy I would lock up long term. Honestly, I’d rather have Hill on the cheap than Peters on a max contract. What say you?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me personally, waaaay too much noise about Peters aggressive play after this one. He’s got a damn good resume on the field and a “poor game” doesn’t change that.

Some days the other guy just beats you.

Psycho_X

Legend
Peters is a student of the game who likes to test QBs. He has never played Russell Wilson until yesterday. I think he got a few hard lessons but it should help him down the line. You could see him rallying the defense there after he gave up that touchdown towards the end of the game and it looked like he was saying "hey that's my bad but it won't happen again. We got this" sort of speech. And you know what, I think it was the next drive he had that really nice turn around pass defense on the tight end that ran past him.

I can't wait to get Talib back though. If we can limit anymore injuries and get Talib back by the last quarter of the season it'll help a lot.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I don't think signing Peters long term was ever the plan. I think they traded for him knowing they were getting him for 2 years max on a cheap deal.

Whether he's coachable or not, I've no idea but he may not be 100% healthy. If Talib wasn't injured, Peters might not even be playing.

He had a bad game but there were shots of him on the sideline seemingly owning up to it.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
He’s still nursing an injury. He’s also a passionate football payer, I bet half the reason why McVay loves him. The reason he has so many INTs is because he’s actually a student of the game in the film room.

I think all of his antics get blown out of porportion, guy just hates to lose/get beat. Refs were awful in this one, I’ll still take Peters over Hill.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you insinuating the way he plays isn't how Wade wants him to play?

Ellard80

Legend
Nobody disputes he has talent and makes plays. When he gets beat, though, it’s usually for a TD and that compromises the entire defense. Surely he’s smart enough to know that.

During interviews, he’s generally dismissive. Now, I get it...he fields some dumb@ssed questions that would irritate most people and he really does his best not to be a jerk about it. But I wonder how he really is with the coaches. Do they have to tip toe around him or can they shoot straight? I’m not really sure. I can’t imagine benching him would be wise. Talib may be hurt but he isn’t mute and probably the only one with cred enough to make a difference.

But to me, he isn’t the guy I would lock up long term. Honestly, I’d rather have Hill on the cheap than Peters on a max contract. What say you?

Well...I'm not giving up on him. He had a bad stretch last year as well.

However I don't think any bad stretch could approach his issues recently - from my count he has given up 6 td's and 1 pick 6. Hatfield gave up one td last year and we wanted him sent to Siberia.

Someone needs to find the starts on TD's give up by CB's from the last two years.

Hopefully it's more a result of his injury than bad play... hopefully...

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Peters is a student of the game who likes to test QBs. He has never played Russell Wilson until yesterday. I think he got a few hard lessons but it should help him down the line. You could see him rallying the defense there after he gave up that touchdown towards the end of the game and it looked like he was saying "hey that's my bad but it won't happen again. We got this" sort of speech. And you know what, I think it was the next drive he had that really nice turn around pass defense on the tight end that ran past him.

I can't wait to get Talib back though. If we can limit anymore injuries and get Talib back by the last quarter of the season it'll help a lot.
I hope he did learn. His eyes in the backfield cost us dearly yesterday. We need PD's from him, not -TD's. He's got the talent to do it, just needs to be disciplined in picking his spots. Downfield is not the time, especially with a scrambler like Wilson -- has he not faced scramblers before?? I would think a 'student of the game' would know that if the play goes too long to stick to his guy like glue. His pick 6 on the Raiduh's was a crossing pattern to a TE that he sat on, that was a good spot to pick off from.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny thing is if he was just covering the guy, instead of peaking at Wilson and trying to get the pick, he might have gotten the pick on both of the passes he got beat on. I think one of his personal goals is to pick off every QB in the league. Hopefully he learns that if he plays disciplined, he has a better chance to do that.

Ellard80

Legend
Are you insinuating the way he plays isn't how Wade wants him to play?

This is a tricky question to answer- one thing is for sure I doubt Wade is instructing him to look at the quarterback as his man runs wide open for a TD.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have to think the main reason he took those chances is that he’s still not 100% and is down a step. We may need to maintain deep safety help until he is.

Psycho_X

Legend
I have to think the main reason he took those chances is that he’s still not 100% and is down a step. We may need to maintain deep safety help until he is.

Agreed, I kept muttering that yesterday why Wade wasn't keeping a safety back more often with the way the game had been going. They were selling out to stop the run which wasn't working and leaving a gimp/gambling Peters on an island.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a tricky question to answer- one thing is for sure I doubt Wade is instructing him to look at the quarterback as his man runs wide open for a TD.
Yet one thing is for sure Wade encourages him to be a playmaker. I think it’s a typical fan assumption to think Wade doesn’t know he’s capable of bad games like this week while also capable of shut down games. If we’ve watched or followed Peters past we should know these things happen with him.

My main point was imo this thread is more of a negative to Wade and coach Pleasant than to Peters. And I just can’t get behind that line of thinking.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I was upset watching those 2 big tds he gave up, that said hes a proven player and I think wade Phillip's can will make sure this doesnt happen again. We need marcus Peter's to win this year

Ellard80

Legend
Yet one thing is for sure Wade encourages him to be a playmaker. I think it’s a typical fan assumption to think Wade doesn’t know he’s capable of bad games like this week while also capable of shut down games. If we’ve watched or followed Peters past we should know these things happen with him.

My main point was imo this thread is more of a negative to Wade and coach Pleasant than to Peters. And I just can’t get behind that line of thinking.

say the evidence in the last few games would point to Peter's not doing what he was coached to do.

However people want to interpret that is up to them as far as coach vs player

As a long time coach of various sports-when someone questions a players coachability - It's typcially not considered a criticism of the coach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
say the evidence in the last few games would point to Peter's not doing what he was coached to do.

However people want to interpret that is up to them as far as coach vs player

As a long time coach of various sports-when someone questions a players coachability - It's typcially not considered a criticism of the coach.
As somebody that’s coached as well it’s rarely black n white that’s it’s one or the other. Again I say Wade knows the player, or player style, and while fans seem to be freaking out on Peters I seriously doubt Wade is.

Ram65

Legend
Is Marcus Peters coachable? Hard question to answer @leoram since we don't know what they are coaching him to do.

I will say that he has to change what he is doing. Before this year he has given up 15 TDs and gotten 19 INTs in his three years in the NFL. I'm not sure how many he has given up this year but, it seems like a lot. This Rams team need him to pass defend and not allow big TD passes. Let's see what happens but, as of right now I wouldn't give him a big new contract.

Ellard80

Legend
Is Marcus Peters coachable? Hard question to answer @leoram since we don't know what they are coaching him to do.

I will say that he has to change what he is doing. Before this year he has given up 15 TDs and gotten 19 INTs in his three years in the NFL. I'm not sure how many he has given up this year but, it seems like a lot. This Rams team need him to pass defend and not allow big TD passes. Let's see what happens but, as of right now I wouldn't give him a big new contract.

He is aggressive for sure... My guess is coaches spend a lot of time trying to teach him "when" to be aggressive.

But what he is being told or not told is pure conjecture.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The more Peters sees an opponent the better he gets at reading and predicting them. Wilson is a particularly difficult QB to read because of his ability to move around in the pocket and extend plays, it's what makes him a top 10 QB.

We'll see how the year plays out, but so far I don't see an issue with him or his play, even if he was targeted the last two weeks.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
See a lot of Janoris Jenkins in his playstyle. Hoping these mistakes will be hard lessons for him now and improve greatly come the postseason and Super Bowl.