Is Marcus Peters coachable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think Peters should be benched.

Let him rest his ankle and think about it.

Had we lost that game, this wouldn't be a contentious issue.

But as it stands Hill, NRC and shields are playing better ball.

You just can't get beat the way Peters is getting beat. It's not good for the team.

Ellard80

Legend
More I think about this...

I think Peters
Me personally, waaaay too much noise about Peters aggressive play after this one. He’s got a damn good resume on the field and a “poor game” doesn’t change that.

Some days the other guy just beats you.

Problem is though... so far this year "the other guy" is beating him by the tune of 6 TD's given up to 1 pick 6.

Lot of games left though - so plenty of time to bounce back.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It's hard to bench a player like Peters. I understand no one player is bigger than the team but he can ball out and he's an outspoken person. So you don't want to cause any unneeded drama in the locker room, it's a hard call. I think if he continues to struggle then you obviously confront the issue.

On a brighter note. Hill looked good yesterday. They didn't pick on him at all and when they did he showed up and shut them down. I think he's a keeper.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Me personally, waaaay too much noise about Peters aggressive play after this one. He’s got a damn good resume on the field and a “poor game” doesn’t change that.

As a complete aside from the convo at hand, what are the odds there's two Rams fans from New Brunswick on here lol.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Although it was an obvious bad couple of games, I feel he is coachable and will learn from it. It was apparent to me that he was taking accountability on the sidelines with his teammates and coaches during the game. Personally, I feel the two biggest reasons are he's not 100% and that he doesn't have Talib on the other side

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Although it was an obvious bad couple of games, I feel he is coachable and will learn from it. It was apparent to me that he was taking accountability on the sidelines with his teammates and coaches during the game. Personally, I feel the two biggest reasons are he's not 100% and that he doesn't have Talib on the other side

I agree with your first assessment but not your second. Talib is great yes, but Hill held his own yesterday. I don't think he had any major issues yesterday as far as i can remember. Every TD they threw was to Peters which says a lot. They saw something on film and completely exploited it. I have faith Wade will fix it by either letting Peters heal up and putting a Safety over the top or putting Peters on a No. 2 WR until he's 100%. It will be interesting to see how he does this week in Denver. They have some pretty good WR's

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The first 5 games, and especially the last two, Peters' play IS an issue. If Hill was playing the same way, and given up what Peters so far has, every Ram fan would be screaming "bench him".

Peters is a maverick and not playing as a team player. I'ts clear he's going for the "pick six" half the time and not just defending the pass.

He gave up 2 TD's and got a PI that led to another. He deserves to be benched. Let Hill and Sheilds start against the Broncos and let Peters contemplate the worth of being a team player or a maverick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I highly doubt hes 100% healthy as well. he doesnt appear to have his feet under him at the moment. That quick burst just isn't there.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I agree with your first assessment but not your second. Talib is great yes, but Hill held his own yesterday. I don't think he had any major issues yesterday as far as i can remember. Every TD they threw was to Peters which says a lot. They saw something on film and completely exploited it. I have faith Wade will fix it by either letting Peters heal up and putting a Safety over the top or putting Peters on a No. 2 WR until he's 100%. It will be interesting to see how he does this week in Denver. They have some pretty good WR's
To clarify, I wasn't putting blame on Hill or saying because he didn't play well in Talib's absence. I meant that it appeared to me since training camp that Talib was really mentoring Peters and challeging him in a friendly competition sort of way and that Peters seemed to respond well to that. I agree with you totally that Wade should (have) given him Safety help, but also it's entirely possible that Wade believed in Peters enough not to.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I think this was Peters' first return to Seattle after UW kicked him off the team. No?

I don't know Peters and I'm just spitballing here, but Peters seems like the kind of guy who would come into this game with an extra chip on his shoulder, who would try extra hard (and to everyone else's detriment) to make a play against the home team, and who would try to make the home fans sorry for revoking his Seattle privileges -- and do all of this despite what the coaches were telling him.

I think there are times when being selfish and temperamental might overcome Peters' receptiveness to coaching.

But hey, a few more pick-6s and all will be sunshine and rainbows.

Stump23

Rookie
I agree with the camp that he is still injured. No way he's fully recovered after getting carted off. The smart QB's (Rivers, Cousins and Wilson) know when they have a one legged mark and they are taking advantage of it. Hill has been 50/50 IMO, but he's getting better week to week. Shields is playing really well. Had a pick 6 yesterday in his hands. Joyner could have had a pick 6 if he didn't lower his head to kill the receiver near the end of the game. Overall it is what it is. We put really good pressure on Wilson and he did what he always does. Missed assignments on deep balls does get concerning. I think we really need to be more concerned with the same missed gap assignments that lead to gashes on run defense. Littleton at times looked like Ogletree last year. THAT needs to be fixed if you ask me. Great win against some tough obstacles (week off looked flat, 12th man, shitty refs etc.) On to Denver for our revenge match against Keenum!!!!!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to think the main reason he took those chances is that he’s still not 100% and is down a step. We may need to maintain deep safety help until he is.
That's my guess... still isn't 100%

Ram65

Legend
The first 5 games, and especially the last two, Peters' play IS an issue. If Hill was playing the same way, and given up what Peters so far has, every Ram fan would be screaming "bench him".

Peters is a maverick and not playing as a team player. I'ts clear he's going for the "pick six" half the time and not just defending the pass.

He gave up 2 TD's and got a PI that led to another. He deserves to be benched. Let Hill and Sheilds start against the Broncos and let Peters contemplate the worth of being a team player or a maverick.

I agree Ram fans would be screaming for Hill's benching had he played like Peters. I think benching Peters is the wrong approach with him. I wish I knew the right approach. The problem is he is so emotional that you don't know which way he would take the benching. I would have the coaches and players (Talib) talk with him about getting back to the basics of coverage.. At less than 100% he should not be taking unnecessary risks. Looking in the backfield trying to make a pick/play just isn't need with the Rams offense.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Peters need to be locked in the film room with Wade Phillips and Aubrey Pleasant for 5 hours this week.

What ever the excuses are (not 100%) (looking in the backfield and staring down the QB's so he can time an interception) or just plain bad fundamentals and being undisciplined, it needs to be handled and resolved.

Cory Littleton looked pissed off on the sideline. He wasn't talking to Peters but he looked furious and was ranting after the late score Peters surrendered in the 3rd quarter.

This shitttttt needs to stop in Denver!
usatsi_11397996.jpg

TexasRam

Legend
i would rest him up a few weeks.

See how the defense looks with Shields and Hill.

Right now his play is atrocious.

Debacled

Starter
Peters has always played like this. He is aggressive and gambles a lot. The INTs he makes get a ton of attention, but he does get burned for it from time to time.

Injury or otherwise this is the Marcus Peters the Rams knew they were trading for.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Talented or not, Peters has always been criticized for giving up big plays. He's a gambler and always has been. I think there was hope that a new setting and being across from Talib would help him get better. It seems like he's regressing in this regard and not improving.

Now with all that being said, reports were his injury would put him out for a few weeks. He came back and played on 4 days rest last week. How healthy is he really? Is he gambling more because he doesn't trust his calf yet?

janthony6

UDFA
I watched Peters when he was in KC. At the time I rooted for Oak. Carr is awful and couldn’t take advantage of how bad Peters can be. Amari burns Peters all day but Carr is too awful to do anything about it.

Peters has always reminded me of Philip Buchanon. Big play guy that’s gives up a lot to make his play. Talib is very good and we need him back. Peters though needs a strong pass rush so he can crash down on routes in his zone. He isn’t very good in m2m and always bites.

Would have preferred a trade for Chris Harris Jr. Hopefully there’s still time for Peters to improve his game at this point.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Complain about the Rams run D all you want. If there is any one player to point a finger at for such a close game, its Peters.