Is Marcus Peters coachable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My question was answered today by McVay in his press conference. He stated that he appreciates how “coachable” Marcus is. As a matter of fact, he offered it without being led into it (makes me wonder if someone on the staff read my post, lol). Sean explained how Peters was asked to cover in a Zero coverage, which means they expected to “get home” before the big play happened. He basically admitted that Peters got burned in by a double move but turned that around to mention how a CB has to put that behind him, be coachable, and continue to compete. We all know McVay will have the player’s backs and that allows him to keep coaching (unlike what Zimmer did after we torched the Vike’s secondary.

McVay is clear and honest while being loyal. Peters got beat but he and the rest of the defense will continue to improve.

Short answer, Peters is coachable by THIS staff. The run defense will improve. It sound more authentic to me than when Martz used to say, “shoot, we’ll fix that” and then continue to do the same things like ignore timeout management, penalties, and turnovers. I, for one, believe Sean and Wade really will improve this defense. Seattle was a great coaching tape that will pay dividends through the rest of the season.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Nobody disputes he has talent and makes plays. When he gets beat, though, it’s usually for a TD and that compromises the entire defense. Surely he’s smart enough to know that.

But to me, he isn’t the guy I would lock up long term. Honestly, I’d rather have Hill on the cheap than Peters on a max contract. What say you?
I wonder, too. 2 long TDs and a holding call.....all without any discipline...against an inferior team that whipping us--not the right time. I wouldn't call him dismissive in interviews, but I would call him emotionally-challenged; he is smart, but can not handle his emotions, and therefore may not give Wade or the DB coach Pleasant or McVay the listening space that they need to be effective in 2 way communications with him. "Yes sire, yes sir" will run out of gas with coaches, if Peters can't listen.

Also the Ram coaches pumped him way too much. Did Parcells ever do that this early in a relationshi? No, except maybe, with LT.

As a man-boy gets longer in the tooth in the league, he takes more 'rights' to himself. We have seen this in Peters last year, and I wonder if the Rams can stop the "progression". I think they know they can't. I hope they sign him for 2 years max, past 2019. Actually, I just don't think they will. But, if he plays like he can and we win a super bowl, then I don't mind that we gave up a 2nd rounder for 2 years of his service---with a late 3rd coming back in 'compensation'.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
My question was answered today by McVay in his press conference. He stated that he appreciates how “coachable” Marcus is. n.
It was answered "in word".....I don't believe it....McVay is covering his back, but Peter's actions in the next 13-14 games will show us the truth.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Is Marcus Peters coachable? Hard question to answer @leoram since we don't know what they are coaching him to do.

I will say that he has to change what he is doing. Before this year he has given up 15 TDs and gotten 19 INTs in his three years in the NFL. I'm not sure how many he has given up this year but, it seems like a lot. This Rams team need him to pass defend and not allow big TD passes. Let's see what happens but, as of right now I wouldn't give him a big new contract.
I didn't know he gave up 15 TDs....wow.....Tru J gave up 0 last year....ooops, sorry I said that. Tru J is a zone corner....so, I automatically don't like him, lol

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Nobody disputes he has talent and makes plays. When he gets beat, though, it’s usually for a TD and that compromises the entire defense. Surely he’s smart enough to know that.

During interviews, he’s generally dismissive. Now, I get it...he fields some dumb@ssed questions that would irritate most people and he really does his best not to be a jerk about it. But I wonder how he really is with the coaches. Do they have to tip toe around him or can they shoot straight? I’m not really sure. I can’t imagine benching him would be wise. Talib may be hurt but he isn’t mute and probably the only one with cred enough to make a difference.

But to me, he isn’t the guy I would lock up long term. Honestly, I’d rather have Hill on the cheap than Peters on a max contract. What say you?

McVay broke it down and much of the issue wasn’t Peters at all.

Yes, he needs to tighten up a bit, but too much of this is people who don’t know the assignments making statements which differ from what actually happened as related by the people who were in charge. Think Wade was quoted similarly.

We’re gonna get right the next two weeks.

If you don’t think this D is gonna show up for Wade in Denver, I dunno what to say...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Although it was an obvious bad couple of games, I feel he is coachable and will learn from it. It was apparent to me that he was taking accountability on the sidelines with his teammates and coaches during the game. Personally, I feel the two biggest reasons are he's not 100% and that he doesn't have Talib on the other side

Well, that and the coaches got caught and Peters got exposed.

Honesty, much of the issue was the defensive playcalling, especially having Peters cheating underneath BY DESIGN and having no safety over the top.

They’ll get that right in a hurry.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
peters is still gimpy ...but still the best corner on this team

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
peters is still gimpy ...but still the best corner on this team

I think he's maybe 80-90%, but his most susceptible on the double moves where he's got to be quick to change direction on that leg.

Watching Peters the other day made much more sense after watching McVay's press conference on Monday.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't think he's 100% and I can guarantee that if Talib was playing he'd have sat out a couple of games. He's a tough SOB to be out there as @Mackeyser just noted he struggles on the quick change of direction at the moment.

I think people forget also how much of good QB Wilson is, he had his best game of the Season on Sunday and had the Zebras playing for them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marcus Peters reminds me of Janoris Jenkins. If he'd focus on blanketing his man, he'd be a lockdown CB. But he gets burnt because he's too focused on intercepting passes.

TexasRam

Legend
Me personally, waaaay too much noise about Peters aggressive play after this one. He’s got a damn good resume on the field and a “poor game” doesn’t change that.

Some days the other guy just beats you.

Yea one game is understandable. 3 games in a row is a bad trend.

Let's not forget he was burned against Mike Williams, then on to Minnesota same thing, then again and again vs Seattle almost costing us the game.

Don't get me wrong, I know he has a huge playmaking upside but this is three games in a row not one. I'll partly blame Wade because why are two safetys 10 yards back from the LOS and no deep help and no blitz. Bad scheme.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There is a reason he was available and it is the same reason he has worn out his welcome everywhere he has been. Not a long term option for us. Right now the key is getting him to buy in with the understanding that consistent film is what will get him paid.

Rams need draft capital investment in the secondary IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't get me wrong, I know he has a huge playmaking upside but this is three games in a row not one. I'll partly blame Wade because why are two safetys 10 yards back from the LOS and no deep help and no blitz. Bad scheme.

Sometimes it really is the players. Like right now for example.

Ellard80

Legend
My question was answered today by McVay in his press conference. He stated that he appreciates how “coachable” Marcus is. As a matter of fact, he offered it without being led into it (makes me wonder if someone on the staff read my post, lol). Sean explained how Peters was asked to cover in a Zero coverage, which means they expected to “get home” before the big play happened. He basically admitted that Peters got burned in by a double move but turned that around to mention how a CB has to put that behind him, be coachable, and continue to compete. We all know McVay will have the player’s backs and that allows him to keep coaching (unlike what Zimmer did after we torched the Vike’s secondary.

McVay is clear and honest while being loyal. Peters got beat but he and the rest of the defense will continue to improve.

Short answer, Peters is coachable by THIS staff. The run defense will improve. It sound more authentic to me than when Martz used to say, “shoot, we’ll fix that” and then continue to do the same things like ignore timeout management, penalties, and turnovers. I, for one, believe Sean and Wade really will improve this defense. Seattle was a great coaching tape that will pay dividends through the rest of the season.

I heard his comments also. However I'm not necessarily going to come to any major conclusions from anything McVay said. McVay is not going to throw Peters under the bus - he is going to do what he can to protect his player. What coaches truly think rarely comes across in pressers.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The problem here is ‘Marcus Peters” football, not Rams football. Me not we. This interview wipes out what McVay said. I hope he balls out the rest of the year, but even if he does... no soup for you, MP, when extension time rolls around.

Cornerbacks and wide receivers are infamous for their overblown egos. It goes with the territory. Still, referring to himself in the third-person is troubling.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/10/nfl-los-angeles-rams-marcus-peters-pff-film-analysis/

Rams Film Room: What's gone wrong with Marcus Peters, PFF's 106th-ranked CB?
By: Cameron DaSilva

gettyimages-1042108128.jpg

Of all the Los Angeles Rams’ blockbuster offseason additions in 2018, Marcus Peters was one that many fans were most excited about. He’s widely viewed as an elite cornerback, is still on his rookie contract and makes more game-changing plays in the secondary than any defensive back in the NFL.

It’s easy to see why everyone was so thrilled to see him paired with Wade Phillips and Aqib Talib in Los Angeles. He’s a fiery player who speaks his mind and gambles on passes thrown his way – and even those not intended for receivers he’s covering.

However, through five games, the early returns have not been good in L.A. After getting off to a hot start with a game-sealing pick-six against the Raiders in Week 1, Peters’ play has slid just about every week since. It’s gotten to the point where he’s been one of the worst cornerbacks in the NFL the past two games.

Pro Football Focus has him graded as the 106th-ranked cornerback out of 111 qualified players, which needless to say, is eye-popping. Everything’s been an issue, too: man coverage, zone coverage, press, off-man.

But what’s really gone wrong with Peters lately? Well, for starters, he suffered a groin injury in Week 3 against the Chargers and hasn’t been the same since. He played against the Vikings on a short week and then on Sunday against Seattle, though Sean McVay isn’t even sure he’s 100 percent healthy.

But if you put on the tape, some of his poor play goes beyond health. On this play against the Seahawks where he was beat for a touchdown, he guessed wrong on the receiver’s double-move, attempting to break on the slant route.

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1049756957320630273?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1049756957320630273&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F10%2F10%2Fnfl-los-angeles-rams-marcus-peters-pff-film-analysis%2F

Earlier in the game, he was beat for another touchdown. This time, Tyler Lockett ran a simple post route and just used his speed to blow by Peters in the middle of the field. Peters was flat-footed and seemed to sit on an underneath route, which Lockett exploited.

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1049755302520872960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1049755302520872960&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F10%2F10%2Fnfl-los-angeles-rams-marcus-peters-pff-film-analysis%2F

It’s hard to completely pin this touchdown on Peters, but it was his man that caught the pass for the score. Starting on the outside, Peters followed David Moore along the end line in the back of the end zone. Unfortunately, he hesitated a few times and was unable to change direction quick enough to stay with the receiver.

This one could be the result of his calf not being fully healthy, preventing him from driving off his leg as he typically would.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/cornyobedientalbacoretuna

Even when he wasn’t giving up touchdowns against Seattle, he was getting beat in coverage. On this play, you can see Lockett once again beat Peters on an in-breaking route. Peters knows he’s beat, so he grabs the receiver and tugs him backwards, drawing a holding penalty and negating Matt Longacre’s sack.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/physicaloldfashionedcony

The second time he was called for holding, he was bailed out by intentional grounding on Russell Wilson, who was pressured by Aaron Donald. Peters was beat by Lockett (again), even with the Rams sending extra coverage his way. The speedy receiver was about to blow by Peters, so Marcus wrapped him up and slowed him down.

That’s an easy call to make, and if not for Donald, Lockett probably scores another touchdown.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/quarterlyelasticdipper

The effort against the run hasn’t always been there, either, which was an issue that plagued Peters in Kansas City, too. This was a huge play in the game, and while the Seahawks picked up the first down anyway, Peters allowed Mike Davis to turn what could’ve been a 10-yard gain into a 37-yarder.

Lockett didn’t make much of an effort to block him, either, but Peters was simply out of position.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/weakspottedfunnelweaverspider

A similar play happened against the Vikings, where Peters was more of a spectator than a defender. On a screen pass to Stefon Diggs, Peters showed little interest in coming up and making the tackle. He didn’t get a finger on Diggs, allowing him to gain an addition 12 yards or so after running by Peters.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/thoroughflickeringindianhare

Peters has always been a baiter and challenges quarterbacks to throw his way, which is exactly what he did against the Vikings on Aldrick Robinson’s touchdown. Peters did a good job carrying him all the way down the field, but he stopped short and gave the receiver too much room behind him.

Cousins was fortunate to get this pass over Peters’ outstretched arm, but Peters needs to stay closer to the receiver in this instance. Not a bad play, but one he should make.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/educateddeterminedkillerwhale

Of course, it hasn’t been all bad for Peters. He made a nice play against the Seahawks by recognizing the tight end snuck behind him, turning around quick enough and batting the pass away to cause the incompletion.

Not many cornerbacks would have that sort of awareness, nor the athleticism to turn and run before breaking up the pass.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/pinkelectricdouglasfirbarkbeetle

It’s difficult to tell if Peters’ calf injury has hampered his play, and he probably won’t admit he’s not 100 percent, but he has to improve no matter the case. With Aqib Talib out, he’s taken over the left side of the defense and hasn’t stepped up like the Rams hoped he would.

Teams are challenging him with double-moves and routes deep down the field, and it’s almost as if he’s expecting help in the middle on some of those plays. Either that, or he’s relying on his speed to make up for the lost ground in trail technique, like on this play where Mike Williams – a receiver not known for his speed – runs by Peters, who’s playing with outside leverage.

View: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/incompatibledirectconure

Peters has to take fewer chances and do a better job staying with receivers on passes deep down the field. Otherwise, the Rams are going to continue to get gashed for big plays.

Until Talib returns, this is Peters’ secondary and he must play like the All-Pro he is.