Is Jeff Fisher Still Capable of Being a Winning Coach?/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Frankly, I'm just not buying what Fisher is selling. I wasn't really buying it last season, and I'm certainly not buying it now.

I am certain there will be games that we play unworldly this season against very good opponents, but I am not expecting a winning record this year.
But we're you before 2 preseason games?

V3

Hall of Fame
Probably should have drafted a QB earlier than the 6th round. There usually aren't any good options at QB in free agency.
Well, count me as one wanting Garoppolo with that second pick. I thought Bradford was injury prone before that second ACL injury and thought we HAD to get a better QB for insurance and the future. From what I'm seeing of him in NE, he's looking like another pick that makes me sick to think about.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I am in......I love this roster....love it!!!!!! I know mostly just potential yet but I am a fan of just about every player on it.....much different from my feelings before Fisher/Snead. I do believe in Fishers ability to coach a winner...... although I am not a fan of starting slow or looking lost in preseason games...especially when it's obvious that other teams have game planned against us.....so yeah. ....lol I'm still drinking the cool aid......;)

Go Rams................ ;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He was 7-9 with the team he took over. His record has gotten worse each year with his guys.
I couldn't disagree more! For soooo many reason!
You can't be watching the Team play!!
Are you just reading about us at ESPN or something!?!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So they should have won more with those scrubs?? Please tell me more. A guy that had not started in the league in what was it 5 years and the third stringer who was coaching HS. Interesting theory.
You're missing the point. At some point Fisher doesn't get off the hook because the backups aren't any good when he is the one putting the roster together.

Every team has injuries...and while the QB is the hardest position to overcome injury everyone in the free world knew Bradford had injury issues. Putting all of your eggs in that basket and it not working out is something that the leader of the team has to start taking some responsibility for.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I couldn't disagree more! For soooo many reason!
You can't be watching the Team play!!
Are you just reading about us at ESPN or something!?!

You disagree with that statement? Really?

The only thing you can disagree with is that I mistakingly put 7-9...they were actually 7-8-1. The following year they were 7-9...and last year 6-10. That isn't an opinion, it's a fact. I mean, the talent level on this team has gotten way better and I never said anything to the contrary.

I think you're being pretty disrespectful. I'm not dragging our coach through the mud or insisting he be fired. But you're insulting my intelligence because after three seasons I think some accountability needs to start going toward the leadership?

Gosh, I think they've actually done something this offseason to try and address that QB situation. There is still some question about health at the QB position though since Foles is coming off an injured season. And the backups still have some questions too, although I really think that Keenum offers some ability to grow as a player still. I liked the pick of Mannion, much better than the throw away pick of Garrett Gilbert.

I expect a healthy Foles will take this team to much greater heights than the Clemens/Davis/Hill era. But let's say Foles gets hurt and Keenum plays at the same level as Hill last year and it's another losing season. Man, when does it end?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I remain conflicted regarding Fisher, although I mostly approve of his moves.

He's not perfect, but has improved our roster and coaching staff tremendously over what he inherited from Spagnoulo. I don't think that's debatable.

But his slow starts and declining W/L records are head scratchers.

So here is my bottom line. If he wins this year, all is water under the bridge and all is right with the world.

But if we have another slow start and losing record with THIS roster...

Well...

Then I'm not only done with him, but I'll head up the tar and feathers patrol.

I have only so much patience and I think 4 years is more than a fair time frame for a HC to produce a winning record.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You're missing the point. At some point Fisher doesn't get off the hook because the backups aren't any good when he is the one putting the roster together.

Every team has injuries...and while the QB is the hardest position to overcome injury everyone in the free world knew Bradford had injury issues. Putting all of your eggs in that basket and it not working out is something that the leader of the team has to start taking some responsibility for.
The only hook that matters is Kronke you make it sounds as if fans have any real input to what happens with the team. Sorry but we are not that important only the $$ matter and they get most of that somewhere else.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The only hook that matters is Kronke you make it sounds as if fans have any real input to what happens with the team. Sorry but we are not that important only the $$ matter and they get most of that somewhere else.
No, I'm simply talking about criticism. Relax.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Backup QB's aren't brought in to start 8, 10, 16 games for your team. This whole Fisher didn't get good enough backups is a ridiculous argument. Hill and Davis were good enough if we were only talking about spot duty, 2 or 3 games filling in for a starter. Bradford's injuries seriously set this team back. It's unfortunate...it's not player/personnel incompetence.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Backup QB's aren't brought in to start 8, 10, 16 games for your team. This whole Fisher didn't get good enough backups is a ridiculous argument. Hill and Davis were good enough if we were only talking about spot duty, 2 or 3 games filling in for a starter. Bradford's injuries seriously set this team back. It's unfortunate...it's not player/personnel incompetence.

You guys arguing this are missing my point. This is Fisher's team. Injuries happen. It's unfortunate. But at some point, regardless of injury the leader has to be held accountable for the outcome, regardless of all the and's, if's, and but's that are the sum.

It's amazing to me that the head coach is not allowed to be criticized, questioned, or held accountable...even while being greatly respected. I'm not proposing Fisher gets fired...just that it's time to win NOW because at this point every single unit (and in most cases each player) has been changed. Fisher has rebuilt this team in every facet in his image. If the Rams don't put a winning season together this year I don't understand how you CAN'T look at Fisher and say, "Ok man, this is all you...you've picked this team and here is the result". There is a difference between accountability and blame.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You guys arguing this are missing my point. This is Fisher's team. Injuries happen. It's unfortunate. But at some point, regardless of injury the leader has to be held accountable for the outcome, regardless of all the and's, if's, and but's that are the sum.

It's amazing to me that the head coach is not allowed to be criticized, questioned, or held accountable...even while being greatly respected. I'm not proposing Fisher gets fired...just that it's time to win NOW because at this point every single unit (and in most cases each player) has been changed. Fisher has rebuilt this team in every facet in his image. If the Rams don't put a winning season together this year I don't understand how you CAN'T look at Fisher and say, "Ok man, this is all you...you've picked this team and here is the result". There is a difference between accountability and blame.
FWIW my criticism of Fisher has been the slow starts.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Am I wrong there?

No but you are putting crazy unrealistic expectations. No team has the depth everyone clamors for. Maybe in specific areas (like the DL) but not everywhere. If there was some perfect team with what you are wanting they would be unbeatable and injuries wouldn't mean a damn thing.

Frankly, I'm just not buying what Fisher is selling. I wasn't really buying it last season, and I'm certainly not buying it now.

I am certain there will be games that we play unworldly this season against very good opponents, but I am not expecting a winning record this year.

That's fine. But I don't think Jeff Fisher cares about preseason or whether or not he's "sold" fans. Surely not 5 freakin drives worth.

Going into year 4 with a hyper-inexperienced offensive line may totally sink our chances this year.

They went into year 3 with a hyper-experienced line and that didn't work, either.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
That's fine. But I don't think Jeff Fisher cares about preseason or whether or not he's "sold" fans. Surely not 5 freakin drives worth.
I agree with you. I don't think he does care.

But I care. I didn't used to, because I knew the team would perform in the regular season. But with an almost all-rookie offensive line, and several yrs of losing records under Fisher, I care alot. And I think Fisher should care as well. So, it concerns me even more that he does not.

Last edited: