Is Jeff Fisher Still Capable of Being a Winning Coach?/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That certainly is a realistic expectation at this point. But it really wouldn't have been a realistic expectation in the 1st two years IMO... the 3rd year''s realistic expectation went out the window in preseason when our starting QB went down for the year.
First year? Of course not.
Second year? You'd expect improvement.. but had to rely on the back-up QB. However, Jeff Fisher hand picked Schottenheimer who got his friend Kellen Clemens. Clemens, BTW, had his best career stats as a Ram in both completion percetage and rating. But they still regressed as a team. By now, the lack of discipline and sloppy play were becoming a concern (at least to me).
Third year? You'd expect more improvement... but again had to rely on the back-up QB. However, this time Jeff Fisher "got his man" in Shaun Hill. I remember the glowing comments about how happy he (Fisher) was to get him. More undisciplined and sloppy play.

So, while losing your starting QB is always hard, it's still back to the head coach to have done a good enough job of filling in the back-up that the impact is minimized.

I think Jeff Fisher mis-handled the entire Hill/Davis thing last year. When Hill went down, he insisted that the starting job was his as soon as he was healthy again. I didn't like the "play the hot hand" thing when he said Hill would be the starter. And, he said it so emphatically! I think we wasted at least one game finding out Davis wasn't the real answer.

I guess it doesn't matter now. We have Nick Foles and we've been told he's what we need to get over the hump.

Hope they are right!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He was 7-9 with the team he took over. His record has gotten worse each year with his guys.
Except he hasn't had HIS guy at QB, just a small piece of the game I know

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Actually, I'd be more than happy if they could just execute. You know, stop the other team when on defense, and get first downs on offense. That's be cool :)

No I think it would still be puppy dogs and rainbows leftover from the draft if the starters would have played well.

Starters on defense play well enough, 6 total points.

Yes, offense you'd like to see more points. But lets say they did, would that automatically mean they would be amazing week 1? No way. Same with the defense, just b/c they are playing well doesn't mean they will do so in a few weeks. We already saw that last season.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He's had HIS backup QBs. Please see my earlier post.

It's time we start taking the bottom line into consideration with more authority than the reasons. It's Fisher's fourth year....it's time to win.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
There are just so many things that were screwed up with this organization when Fisher got here you cannot compare it to any of those other places. Nor can you compare a team using what the Rams have had at QB the last year and 9 games. Has there been a team that made the playoffs with that kind of handicap?

How do these guys get paid to right this garbage?

Knowing the difference between right and write might be one reason...:D

(Just having fun, don't take it out of context please...)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He was 7-9 with the team he took over. His record has gotten worse each year with his guys.
That is true, but only slightly. The quality of QB play has gotten worse too. I say there's a correlation there. Foles or someone on this roster has to be able to throw TD's and limit the turnovers.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That is true, but only slightly. The quality of QB play has gotten worse too. I say there's a correlation there. Foles or someone on this roster has to be able to throw TD's and limit the turnovers.
Again...please see my previous post.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
He's responsible for picking the backup QBs too.

There's always a ton of reasons why seasons go one way or another...lots of good ones too. But at some point there has to be some good to go with the bad to justify why a coach is doing all the right things.

He's responsible for the entire team not just QB. Its hard enough as it is to find a starting caliber QB let alone a backup. Bradford was supposed to be the guy and unfortunately he got injured.

Snead and Fish have done a good job of acquiring talented players through the draft. Something past regimes failed to do.

Even though I still feel like this team needs 1 more year to realize it's full potential, I agree that it's time to win 8 games or more this year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure....wish he'd gotten a mobile QB in case his line doesn't come together as planned and gets Foles killed.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He's responsible for the entire team not just QB. Its hard enough as it is to find a starting caliber QB let alone a backup. Bradford was supposed to be the guy and unfortunately he got injured.

Snead and Fish have done a good job of acquiring talented players through the draft. Something past regimes failed to do.

Even though I still feel like this team needs 1 more year to realize it's full potential, I agree that it's time to win 8 games or more this year.

Fisher and Snead have done a great job putting together talent. I'm not denying that.

Fisher has also put himself in the QB situation the team is in. We should have done more than add Shaun Hill last year. They should have made it a bigger priority LAST year to address the backup QB/potential starter knowing what had happened to Sam Bradford the year before.

I think you can go ahead and give Fisher 2013 for Bradford going down...2014 some of that has to go back on Fisher. He had a QB coming off of an ACL who had the same injury. Sorry, I think it's more than fair to say he should have had a better insurance policy behind his starter.

At some point the reasons why things aren't happening for this team are no longer reasons and are legitimate excuses. If the offense continues to flutter this year what do we say? The offensive line is young and hasn't had a chance to gel? Foles hasn't had time to get acclimated? Every team has new and young players. Every team has injuries. They are obstacles and can derail a season. But when you lean on that stuff year after year after year there is more at issue than just that.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Fisher and Snead have done a great job putting together talent. I'm not denying that.

Fisher has also put himself in the QB situation the team is in. We should have done more than add Shaun Hill last year. They should have made it a bigger priority LAST year to address the backup QB/potential starter knowing what had happened to Sam Bradford the year before.

I think you can go ahead and give Fisher 2013 for Bradford going down...2014 some of that has to go back on Fisher. He had a QB coming off of an ACL who had the same injury. Sorry, I think it's more than fair to say he should have had a better insurance policy behind his starter.

I agree that maybe we should have drafted a QB but even then you have a rookie starting, 2014 wouldn't have been any better. We could have gotten Carr or Bridgewater, but then you won't have GRob or Donald and I love building the trenches.

At some point the reasons why things aren't happening for this team are no longer reasons and are legitimate excuses. If the offense continues to flutter this year what do we say? The offensive line is young and hasn't had a chance to gel? Foles hasn't had time to get acclimated? Every team has new and young players. Every team has injuries. They are obstacles and can derail a season. But when you lean on that stuff year after year after year there is more at issue than just that.

At this point our running game should boost our offensive production. We have a staple of backs the only question is can Foles deliver? Besides LG I am not too worried about the OL.
The D is top 5 caliber so we should we winning more games this year.

One thing is for sure, I would hate to start over AGAIN. We need consistency in the FO. Fisher signed a 5 year deal. Give him those 5 years IMO.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
WHAT? One reason Fisher came here because of Bradford. So he had ample opportunity to build a team and game plan around Bradford.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yes, offense you'd like to see more points. But lets say they did, would that automatically mean they would be amazing week 1? No way. Same with the defense, just b/c they are playing well doesn't mean they will do so in a few weeks. We already saw that last season.
I'm not buying what you're selling

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well technically it was a news thing brought up by Karraker posted by Bill, who remains impartial in his duty to bring news.

But I can't say I blame people, we're off to another sloppy preseason start and it's not exactly like Fisher has inspired confidence. He's 20-27-1 as our coach, it's a legitimate concern.

Definitely not too negative.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He's had HIS backup QBs. Please see my earlier post.

It's time we start taking the bottom line into consideration with more authority than the reasons. It's Fisher's fourth year....it's time to win.
So they should have won more with those scrubs?? Please tell me more. A guy that had not started in the league in what was it 5 years and the third stringer who was coaching HS. Interesting theory.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
WHAT? One reason Fisher came here because of Bradford. So he had ample opportunity to build a team and game plan around Bradford.
And the one year he had Bradford they were 4-1-1 in the NFCW. The other 2 years scrubs

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
So they should have won more with those scrubs?? Please tell me more. A guy that had not started in the league in what was it 5 years and the third stringer who was coaching HS. Interesting theory.
That just opens the questions to WHY did he pick such scrubs if they were so bad? Nobody forced Fisher into signing those guys, he choose to himself.